Officials: Collection boxes often aren't about charity

Full story: Newsday 37
A white steel container planted near Main Street in Sayville says: "Thank you for donating clothing, toys and shoes." But the cast-off garments heaped inside aren't going to charity, Islip officials say. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Greta story

Wyckoff, NJ

#1 Jul 22, 2008
Excellent story. It's about time someone looked into this situation and educated the public.
glad i left long island

El Cajon, CA

#2 Jul 22, 2008
i was in africa a few months ago and all the kids are wearing these clothes, they are sold wholesale on the open market for pennies a pound and are resold all over the world. operating expenses are nothing for these boxes lets see
buy box+leave box out+collect clothes+sell=profit
hmmmm

“Viet Vet Speaks Out”

Since: Dec 06

Long Beach, NY

#7 Jul 22, 2008
I could name names, but these bloodsuckers who place these boxes throughout long Island are nothing but a bunch of crooks. Most of the garments are shipped overseas. A good part of the clothes go to Arab nations. And are sold by the piece. The vendor from the US gets paid by the pound with a higher value plased on towels. A very small part of the monies collected go to charities in the US. So the nest time you have some clothed to donate, bring them to your local church, where they will be distributed without cost to the persons in need. This has been going on for many years. Years ago I accompanied a truck that left New york bound for the Mississippi, Arkansas area to sell these disgarded garments. I was shocked than, but at least the garments would stay in the states. A winter coat might sell for $3.00 a pair of jeans 41.50. aT THAT TIME i THOUGHT IT WAS DISCUSTING. The condition has only worsened with the Global Economy--now the garments are not even being sold to our own poor. We are in a sad state of affairs if we continue to allow this to happen!!!
JEFF4PLAY

Naples, FL

#10 Jul 22, 2008
Another scam on the island of long...
Donate to your church...
Scam

United States

#11 Jul 22, 2008
I agree with 'Mike Long Beach' that it's better to bring your donations to a local church where they GIVE them to people that are in need.
I'm curious how they justify arresting someone for taking clothes out of those boxes,when the boxes themselves are thieving and illegal?
Save Long Island

Atlanta, GA

#12 Jul 23, 2008
Give your clothes to charities that you know are legitimate. St. Vincent de Paul is reputable, so is Goodwill.

There are many people in need, yes, even on Long Island.
BOOMER

Frederick, MD

#13 Jul 23, 2008
People are poor because thy choose to live that way. I take my use cloths to the dump HA!!!
Rich

Milford, CT

#14 Jul 23, 2008
You can also give to the Lighthouse Mission in Patchogue. They are real also.
Just Wondering

New Canaan, CT

#15 Jul 23, 2008
Also Vietnam Veterans of America - they'll pick up your donations at your home.
anonymous

Medford, NY

#16 Jul 23, 2008
Not only is that not going to the poor, what about when they want you to donate money for some organization. There was a time when Waldbaums was asking for a donation a (1 dollar) and I forget what it was for b/c I was never interested. I never give b/c I myself don't think it's going where its suppose to be going.
exislander

Lebanon, NH

#18 Jul 23, 2008
The collection boxes are handy for people who just want to get rid of unwanted clothing etc. Better than throwing items into someone's dumpster, alley or front yard. Let them be.

“Melissa says, "om"”

Since: Apr 08

Suffolk County

#20 Jul 23, 2008
If you have stuff to donate, contact a charity directly to find out where to donate. It's also a good idea to check out charities on the Better Business Bureau website to make sure they are legit www.bbb.org
liner

Hicksville, NY

#21 Jul 23, 2008
exislander wrote:
The collection boxes are handy for people who just want to get rid of unwanted clothing etc. Better than throwing items into someone's dumpster, alley or front yard. Let them be.
How is it better than throwing it in the dumpster?
Stinky Von Bottom

Lindenhurst, NY

#22 Jul 23, 2008
I thought everyone knew this? Just like all of the "Charities" that Kids come to your house Soliciting money for. They are NEVER from your Neighborhood.
SpongeBob

Lindenhurst, NY

#23 Jul 23, 2008
Big Brothers and Sisters is supposed to be a good one. I donate Clothes and Toys to them.
cat

Massapequa, NY

#24 Jul 23, 2008
So many places to donate clothing and other items..

Pronto in Brentwood

They do not charge the people that come in to clothe their family...they direct them to specifc areas...depending on what they need.
Never trusted those drop boxes and now I know why !

To help women living in shelters and going on job interviews..(big sizes only as I found out when I called)....Dress For Success -google it for locations.
cat

Massapequa, NY

#25 Jul 23, 2008
...once upon a time I donated men's dress shirts-must have been 30 of them..I washed them, ironed them, folded them and brought them to a local Salvatation Army..they thanked me..I handed the folded shirts over..they, without missing a beat, threw them on a pile of clothes..with most landing on the floor...that was the last time for S A.
Maureen

Lake Grove, NY

#26 Jul 23, 2008
I am so glad that you have done this story. In Glen Cove there were several of these illegal collection boxes. One at Stop and Shop, one at King Kullen and one at the CVS on Glen Cove Ave. I called the number on the boxes and got the same result. The property owners at the CVS shopping center worked very hard and had them removed. The boxes at King Kullen and Stop and Shop have been removed. People really don't look when they want to donate clothing. Thank you very much for doing this story and exposing this scam!!!!
Jingles

Bridgeport, CT

#27 Jul 23, 2008
If you call Big Brothers they will come and pick up your bags of clothes. Also household items. They leave a receipt for you to use at Tax time.
Unknown here

Brooklyn, NY

#28 Jul 23, 2008
I usally have a yard sale and sell the clothes and make the money in my own pocket . what every I dont sell gets Donated To P.A.L they come to your home and pick up what you donated for them and give you a certifcate towards your incomes taxes , the last load I donated were 15 lawn & leaf size bags

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sayville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 9 hr let the truth be ... 6,444
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 14 hr Tim Osman 118,210
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) Sun Jimmy Rustle 676
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) Sun truth 759
Memories Of Old Ronkonkoma (Jul '09) Sep 20 Jayar 89
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Sep 19 Robert Burns 16,790
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) Sep 19 positronium 6,389
•••

Sayville News Video

•••
•••

Sayville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Sayville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Sayville News, Events & Info