A hopeful sign in Riverhead

Full story: Newsday

It was once a hotel with a bar favored by lawyers, judges and reporters. Then it was a dingy adult home for about 120 residents with psychiatric disabilities.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
pc riverhead

Coram, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Judged:

I can't believe that the town could allow this facility to be planted right at the gateway of what is slated to be the finest tourist attractions on the East End. Arguably, the residents that it houses and cares for are entitled to live in humane conditions. But, did Riverhead really need a "Mental Health Home" right in the heart of downtown? Was there no other property available on the island to house these people? Perhaps in area that would be safer for everyone? It could have been restored as the original grand hotel that it was over 100 years ago. Instead, it houses people that should not be allowed in public. With tourists and their families, I might add (which downtown desparately needs.
wordygurdy

Center Moriches, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

pc riverhead wrote:
I can't believe that the town could allow this facility to be planted right at the gateway of what is slated to be the finest tourist attractions on the East End. Arguably, the residents that it houses and cares for are entitled to live in humane conditions. But, did Riverhead really need a "Mental Health Home" right in the heart of downtown? Was there no other property available on the island to house these people? Perhaps in area that would be safer for everyone? It could have been restored as the original grand hotel that it was over 100 years ago. Instead, it houses people that should not be allowed in public. With tourists and their families, I might add (which downtown desparately needs.
And you are qualified to determine that these people "should not be allowed in public" because........?
FUNNY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Judged:

pc riverhead wrote:
I was there last week.The facility would make a good home for the crazy people who will build and want the new "Tourist Attraction"
wordygurdy

Center Moriches, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

FUNNY wrote:
<quoted text>
I was there last week.The facility would make a good home for the crazy people who will build and want the new "Tourist Attraction"
A giant snow globe sure beats the heck out of being surrounded by oily-smelling screaming motorheads guzzling beer outside of their cars.
confuse a cat

Mount Sinai, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2008

When-never-the wealthy communities (where perhaps Newsday's editorial elite reside or vacation) house their fair share of the mentally ill, illegal immigrants, vagrants, drug addicts/pushers and sex offenders that make up too much of the foot traffic in downtown Riverhead we can all gather in a circle slap each other on the back and congratulate ourselves how wonderful and caring we are. Until then this Riverhead middle class resident will continue to zip along Main Street with the windows closed and the doors locked. Julia's Pizza is the only reason to stop, venture out and get a pie. FYI:the best pizza on the East End.
PC perpetually convoluted

Coram, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2008

Pretty cocky? Pissant conservaative? Penis cripples?
Look, I hate to be childish too, but you really are a douchebag. And I feel comfortabe saying that because I read your post, and got a glimpse into your mind. After I came back from that scary place, I saw that you chose to condescend an entire group, i.s "these people.
Guess what, every read anyting, ever wonder whaht used to be in some old downtown historic Riverhead builidngs. The Perkins house, ets. Many places that serve "those people" have probably been around a century longer than you've been alive. Why is there this fear/hate inspired belief that those with mental challenges are somehow more morally deviant than the next human being. In my own experience, "those people" are more often more sensitive, in many ways more compassionate, human, giving, and probably, ultimately, much more respectful people when all is said and done. Especially wen compared with snarky, delusional, egotistical, judgemental and truly mentally challenged people like yourself., "PC!".
Jack

Southampton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2008

confuse a cat wrote:
When-never-the wealthy communities (where perhaps Newsday's editorial elite reside or vacation) house their fair share of the mentally ill, illegal immigrants, vagrants, drug addicts/pushers and sex offenders that make up too much of the foot traffic in downtown Riverhead we can all gather in a circle slap each other on the back and congratulate ourselves how wonderful and caring we are. Until then this Riverhead middle class resident will continue to zip along Main Street with the windows closed and the doors locked. Julia's Pizza is the only reason to stop, venture out and get a pie. FYI:the best pizza on the East End.
How dare you write the truth about that fine town! You would think some beer drinking motorheads would be an improvement, you can tax beer but you can't tax crack whether it's rock or butt, both can be bought on the streets of "THE GATEWAY TO THE HAMPTONS". It's sad to see a town trying to pull itself out of the gutter just to be the pi$$ stop for the rich and famous.
long island resident

Centereach, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2008

pc riverhead wrote:
"Instead, it houses people that should not be allowed in public".

What an outrageous comment - are you perfect???? You are unforgivablly ignorant and critical and I don't you should be allowed in public.

Sooner or later, we all have to deal with some type of sickness, if we're
lucky enough to live long enough.

The mental illlness you suffer from is
cruelty. Please crawl back under the rock you came out of.

Karma will likely do you in - perhaps you'll get alzheimer's. Just remember
what goes around comes around.

Jack

Southampton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2008

If he/she gets alzheimer's, they won't remember.
hmmm

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2008

I think the point many are missing is would you build it next to an elem school? So if you build it in downtown, near the aquarium and dinosaur museum you must expect parents will be turned away from venturing from those locales into town if "odd" people are walking about. Sorry, PC in this case will get you no where.

Most of the residents will never cause anybody ever harm, but it wont matter because they will help keep those streets devoid of necessary visitors.

Probably best to build it a tad bit more in the outskirts, but then residential neighborhoods would be spoiled.
jk wayne nj

Coram, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2008

On pc riverhead, I think that the majority are missing the point. "Smart Growth" is defined as development in such a fashion that will benefit the community in it's entirety. The fact that Riverhead has accepted the mentioned facility is honorable, and in truth, without knowing exactly the nature of the facility, it would be hard pressed to believe that it will be any worse then it's former state. But perhaps, from a "Main Street" development standpoint, it could have been used for purposes that would better suit what pc was referring to, ie: attracting tourists.
It is clearly obvious that pc in efforts to vent frustrations of a long time resident, saw the building as a potential "tourist grabber". Riverhead Town is unique, with the juxtaposition of farms, wineries, bucolic landscape and a "Main Street USA", it has something not many towns do not have. From this point forward, the town cannot afford to deviate from it's primary focus on properly reincarnating downtown.
liner

Elmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2008

wordygurdy wrote:
<quoted text>
A giant snow globe sure beats the heck out of being surrounded by oily-smelling screaming motorheads guzzling beer outside of their cars.
But how about when those oily-smelling screaming motorheads guzzling beer want to go skiing?
PC perpetually convoluted

Coram, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

Judged:

Om...to JK wayne NJ...have you ever been to Riverhead? It's unfortunately not the bucolic place you describe, that's farther East. I know this only because I've lived here my whole life. Yes, Riverhead has farms, is close to both the Ocean and abuts the Bay (also, as you probably were able to surmise, a river). But, you sound like a retarded ad for Riverhead, and you come off almost Orwelian with the whole not deviating from the right path think. Ok, Charles.
First of all, there is so much hate in many of these posts. Yes, there is fear of the unknown. Since most people are so ignorant when it comes to the mentally handicapped, this qualifies as part of the unknown. But, unfortunately, with the grim predictions you make...tourists will not come here due to this, you almost help, you do in fact, help to make things worse, not better. You are part of the problem, and that's so pathetic! May I point out that the mentally handicapped live all around us, they are born in slums, ghettos, mansions, castles, and even bucolic farming towns/big box store nightmare towns. Would you rather it another way? Perhaps we send all people not meeting some universal standard to an island somewhere, like lepers? Heck, while we're at it, why not limit it to just mental challenges. How about people who are ugly go, too. And f the old, who wants to look at their wrinkles? Send them, too.
Many of you..I can't believe you live in Riverhead, you don't get the basic premise of the article. Also, I can't believe all of you even grasped the article. This place used to be the Perkins home. It was shitty, the poeple lived in squalor and were stuffed in there like sardines. Now, it is cleaner, better (this will ultimately be good for the people who live there...). So why the Hell are you complaining. Basically, something spitty was taken and made better. Also, for those of you ingnoramuses, there are now FEWER of "those people" living there. And you're complaining because? Oh yeah, because you want them to go to the island.
Unfortunately for you, if getting sent to this island is based on some sort of IQ and/or behavioral test...pack your bags, cause you'll be touring a place with no return. See ya!
wordygurdy

Center Moriches, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2008

liner wrote:
<quoted text>
But how about when those oily-smelling screaming motorheads guzzling beer want to go skiing?
Snow is much quieter than revving engines. Sobers them up quicker, too.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Sayville News Video

•••
Sayville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Sayville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••