Former drug addict works to stay clean

Former drug addict works to stay clean

There are 6 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 27, 2008, titled Former drug addict works to stay clean. In it, Newsday reports that:

A DEADLY FORM OF HEROIN continues to destroy lives across Long Island , trampling across age groups and economic lines.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Bobby

Farmingdale, NY

#1 Jul 28, 2008
Don't think of it that way.it's the first day for the rest of your life.Yesterday is a memory,tommorrow a dream, and today is a gift a present from God. You aren't in control of what other people do or feel. Work on yourself and the more days you have between your last drug is proof to yourself you can do this thing. Wheter you are on a construction job or in a hospital no one can make you pick up only you can. Contsructive planning and purpose will get you where you need to be. 17 months is a long time to be straight if you want to use. Your a miracle today. Your dad is who he is. He's got his own stuff going on you take care of you and he will come around and be OK
sobertoo

Yaphank, NY

#3 Jul 28, 2008
I'm so proud of Shaun. He's been very helpful in my own recovery. As long as he stays sober one day at a time, he will see his dreams come true. Even in active addiction he always looked at for me. I can truly say I love y friend Shaun.
I myself have been sober 13 months off of heroin. I started using heroin at 17 in my senior year of high school. I started off snorting. I snorted my first bag off of the lunch table in the middle of my high school cafeteria. I started shooting at 19. I'm 30 years old and have been fighting this for 13 years. My family has been ripped apart, I've been to so many rehab's and hospitals. I robbed and stole to support my habit. I even stole from my family. I've been arrested, lived in my truck, I've spent time on Riker's Island, I've lost numerous jobs and a career. I was asked to leave community college because of my addiction to heroin.I've ran myself into debt, I've overdosed. I've lost close friends to overdoses. I've had 2 years sober and relapsed and four years and relapsed. I feel for the parents of the girl Natalie who passed. Whoever heroin has been a huge problem on Long Island for the past 15 years. This is not some new epidemic. My own mother tried to get the powers that be to listen and do something years ago. Many parents from my home town of Centereach reached out years go after many heroin overdoses, an influx of petty crimes, one 18 year old murdered his mom, another girl overdosed at 18 and she has lived in a nursing home ever since having no control of her body, she can't talk or do anything for herself. There's been so many stories over the past 15 years. I know there is no way to stop the drug trade, however if someone would have listened a decade ago maybe younger people such as Natalie could've been saved.
helpless mom

AOL

#4 Oct 19, 2008
Just learned that my son is doing heroin again. He has lied to me and told me he is clean. I live out of state and feel totally helpless. I also feel guilty for moving away.
He started a great job recently that he is so proud of , but that he will surely lose if drugs are found in his system.

How do I help him?

How do I tell him that I know he is back on drugs?

How do I save his life?
random

Cincinnati, OH

#5 Nov 30, 2008
pray for him-
love & accept him
May God keep him safe and gently nudge him back on path
Shocked

New Hyde Park, NY

#6 Nov 30, 2008
Heroin is no stranger to Long Island. I first saw a dope fiend in 1969 in Hempstead where I grew up. I was 13. I saw this guy who appeared to be sleeping with his eyes closed while standing, weaving erratically back & forth. I passed him while walking past & he asked me for a match. I wondered how he even saw me with his eyes closed. But I started to notice more of these walking zombies. Overnight, there were many of them. Some were neighborhood teens. I had a cousin who died from an overdose in 1971. Heroin is the main reason there have been so many AIDS deaths. I know a good 200 people at least, that have died from OD's or AIDS. And that's just in Hempstead! Young people have to stop making Heroin "cool". It's NOT cool to die young!
Massapequa Mom

Forest Hills, NY

#7 Dec 3, 2008
Agreed..heroin is NOT cool. My girlfriend just lost her 26 year old son. Her younger boy is a junior at Brandeis and helps special needs kids. Same parents, different outcome. What drove this boy to do heroin? One tip is to keep an eye out for anxiety disorders or bipolar. Kids with these conditions "self-medicate" a lot. It isn't at all easy to deal with and I pray for those of you that have to live through the hell of addiction. May God keep all of you and your families.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sayville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New $64M project to start in Sayville 8 hr Who Will Pay The ... 5
News Well testing ordered in Islip after contaminant... 9 hr Perform Magic 1
News Mary Kate Mullen found qualified to run for judge 9 hr Soiled Panties Fo... 1
all drownings (Jun '07) 9 hr Joe Slonski 92
News No date set for reopening of pool at Brentwood ... 9 hr Keep The Children... 1
Update: Heartland has passed, construction to b... 13 hr The Wolkoff Touch 52
Les Jardins, Coram NY (Feb '10) May 18 anonymous 17

Sayville Jobs

Personal Finance

Sayville Mortgages