FEMA helps pay for Lake Ronkonkoma flooding fixes

Full story: Newsday

Federal money is coming to Lake Ronkonkoma to help with groundwater flooding problems, although it came too late for at least one homeowner.
Comments
41 - 58 of 58 Comments Last updated Feb 7, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Shame on them

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Judged:

5 Charles-back on the market for $169,000. there is a beautiful hole in the kitchen floor where they filled in the crawl space. The bank is desperate to get rid of it and are showing it as is. Even if an investor came to fix it up, the water is still there! Potential buyers beware, that block is inhabitable!
Not shocked wrote:
So the bank illegally filled in the basement @ 5 charles ct. They took it off the market, ripped out the oil tank and the burner, pumped out the water/oil mixture and filled in every hole they could find, with cement. The town was called and they came, and left a note for the non-english speaking workers. What a joke. They ripped up the kitchen floor to get the cement in and dug a hole on the side of the house to pump the gunk out. Don't you need permits for this kind of work? It's not going to make the house any more livable, the water still comes UP!
Shame on them

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

Judged:

Back on the market for $169,900. Can you say desperation? The bank is now selling "as is". Which means you get the pretty hole in the kitchen floor ( http://www.redfin.com/NY/Lk-Ronkonkoma/5-Char... ) along with the oil smell, rotting walls & floors and the water soaked property surrounding the dwelling. Not even an investor could fix this one up. I hear the place is buzzing with potential buyers too...they must be just as desperate. So very sad, how badly people want to make a buck. SHAME ON THE BANK and SHAME ON THE REALTORS!
Shame on them

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

Yes, I posted twice because the first one did not appear right away after I wrote it. My apologies.
save ya self

Larchmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

Shame on them wrote:
Yes, I posted twice because the first one did not appear right away after I wrote it. My apologies.
dont be sorry I hope the realtors ,read this .They should see shame on you a thousand times !!!
sentimental

Larchmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2010

hey this post is for the person who lived at 5 charles ct The agents were looking around and found your wedding pictures in attic ,they may still be there(I dont know what they have done to the home since then but they were there around 10/2010)If you want them.
Kentucky Girl

White Plains, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2010

Judged:

T Jefferson wrote:
<quoted text>
Best thing I ever did! 8 years ago...and never looked back!(and have never set foot in NY state sinc...and likely never will!)
Well...gotta go pay my property taxes soon- all $230. for the year...for 27.5 acres!
I am from Bowling Green and I can't wait to move back to around there. I miss Cave City!!! I want to go to Mammoth Cave so badly.

Long Island is so expensive and the standard of living for these things that are so expensive is so low. I am finishing school and getting out of this hell hole.

Since: Oct 09

Hart County, KY.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2010

Judged:

Kentucky Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I am from Bowling Green and I can't wait to move back to around there. I miss Cave City!!! I want to go to Mammoth Cave so badly.
Long Island is so expensive and the standard of living for these things that are so expensive is so low. I am finishing school and getting out of this hell hole.
That's it in a nutshell! LI is one of the most expensive places in the country/world to live...and the more expensive it gets...the lower the quality of life seems to get.

It wasn't always like that, though. Up until about the early 80's, it was a wonderful place, and not outlandishly expensive. It was a neat place to grow up....but I wouldn't give ya two cents for it now. Hurry on back to the Blue Grass, before it goes the same way as LI!
disappointed

Port Washington, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2010

My husband and I looked at 5 Charles Court, we are expecting twins in the Spring and thankfully we were able to speak to some of the neighbors still left on the block. They told us to look on the internet and we would get our answer. Glad we did some research before we jumped in. So sad bc the people really did a great job expanding the house and it would've been a great started home. Good luck to those still there.
disappointed

Port Washington, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2010

Shame on them wrote:
Back on the market for $169,900. Can you say desperation? The bank is now selling "as is". Which means you get the pretty hole in the kitchen floor ( http://www.redfin.com/NY/Lk-Ronkonkoma/5-Char... ) along with the oil smell, rotting walls & floors and the water soaked property surrounding the dwelling. Not even an investor could fix this one up. I hear the place is buzzing with potential buyers too...they must be just as desperate. So very sad, how badly people want to make a buck. SHAME ON THE BANK and SHAME ON THE REALTORS!
They have lowered the price to $119,900. The worst part is that when you go and see the house, it looks like a fresh coat of paint, no mold is detectable and there are no water stains. It seems like a too good to be true situation and makes you want to jump on it right away. The damage is pretty well hidden. Although once we told the realtor we were expecting, he said he wouldn't sell this house to someone with small children bc it was a health hazard.
Pathetic

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2010

disappointed wrote:
<quoted text>
They have lowered the price to $119,900. The worst part is that when you go and see the house, it looks like a fresh coat of paint, no mold is detectable and there are no water stains. It seems like a too good to be true situation and makes you want to jump on it right away. The damage is pretty well hidden. Although once we told the realtor we were expecting, he said he wouldn't sell this house to someone with small children bc it was a health hazard.
So they won't sell the "health hazard" to an expecting couple, but to anyone else it's OK? These realtors are out to make any money they can. NOT telling people the truth is the same as lying. Such a shame for those who think it's just a normal foreclosure and don't do their research.
Buyer Beware

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2010

Judged:

SOLD!!! for less then the listed $119K! The block looks dry for now. I wonder if they will live in the mold, I mean home; or flip it and sell it for profit to an unsuspecting buyer.
Good for whatever neighbors are left, bad for whoever had the guts to pay for the headache.
Insider

Westport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

I have come to learn that the Town of Smithtown and FEMA only got to fill in the basement of 1 house and it was NOT on Charles Ct. The owner had to pay for most of the work. Charles Ct is now filled with low class tenants (for lack of a better term). There are only a few homes with original owners left who still deal with the groundwater issues. The town of smithtown have done NOTHING for ANYONE and continue to ignore the problem. Thanks to them, it now looks like the rest of the neighborhood, unkept, wet and now filled with people who can only afford to pay what the government allows. What did you think would happen? Oh, and I find this article hilarious along with any other pat on the back the politicians give themselves for putting such BS in the paper. Hey Newsday, why don't you interview the residents and not the politicians, or do you enjoy printing lies?
Here we go again

Port Jefferson Station, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Judged:

#1 Charles Court is back on the market for $199K. The bank has been paying to keep the pumps running and they have cut the lawn. They have also been going inside for the many years it's been empty to check on the still running pumps. They go in with these NASA looking masks, as to not breathe in the MOLD and God knows what else is in there. There are still personal belongings from the last poor occupant in there! How can they just put up a FOR SALE sign (comically next to the pipe that drains the water out of the house), without cleaning this place up!? It is unliveable. And for $199K? Is that a joke? The place sold like new in 2002 for $220K. And now it's been vacant and vandalized and full of water for years. Shame on you realtors. It didn't sell the first time you put a sign up 3 years ago. And if the price goes low enough for some investor type to pick it up, I hope they do the right thing and stop trying to cover up a problem that can't be fixed- GROUNDWATER!
shameless-li

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

they should just knock the house down.
let a builder buy it, and re-build.

it's not worth it to the RE agents if they sell an un-liveable home. if the new owners get sick from mold, etc...the RE can be held responsible.
it will then cost them alot more than profit.
Long Gone

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2012

shameless-li wrote:
they should just knock the house down.
let a builder buy it, and re-build.
it's not worth it to the RE agents if they sell an un-liveable home. if the new owners get sick from mold, etc...the RE can be held responsible.
it will then cost them alot more than profit.
No one should be building anything in that low lying area. PERIOD. If it's not worth it to the agents, why don't they do their homework before putting up their signs? They haven't even been INSIDE the house, but they will list it? And put FLOOD ZONE on the listing? All of those homes have had water, so there's got to be mold in the houses that have been empty for years. If the agents won't step foot in the houses, why would any other sane person? Even if it's flipped, the groundwater will still be there! The banks are so desparate to unload, yet they don't even know the real reason they are empty. The bad economy hides the water....
Pathetic

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

So I know about the guy that bought 5 Charles in 2010. He originally made the purchase to flip, but ended up living there, thinking the water was gone for good. Although it's been dry, the problems with this house are continously covered up and not fixed, therefore, each owner will eventually run into major issues. This guy had a serious drinking problem and after coming home from the bar one night, he decided to try and burn the place down by dropping some gasoline inside and woops, dropping his cigarette. The arson investigation is open, but lacking evidence. An investor caught wind of the fire and offered him money to flip it.(Owner paid $110K, investor paid $170ish from what I'm told and he paid 2 spanish guys to paint and fill a dumpster for a week and now it's on the market for $289K!!!!) The investor is unaware of Charles courts history, so hopefully people do their homework and beware of this ONCE AGAIN covered up nightmare, for a buck. SHAME ON YOU INVESTORS AND REALTORS!!! I hope you get SUED.
Ricky Lake

Glasgow, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2012

Saw this dump (5 Charles Ct.) on the net yesterday- they have it listed for $289K !!!!!-And not a word about the problems.....

http://www.redfin.com/NY/Lake-Ronkonkoma/5-Ch...
Angry

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Ricky Lake wrote:
Saw this dump (5 Charles Ct.) on the net yesterday- they have it listed for $289K !!!!!-And not a word about the problems.....
http://www.redfin.com/NY/Lake-Ronkonkoma/5-Ch...
The previous flipper that called it home, tried to burn the place down. He was an alcoholic living off the governments money. He came home drunk one night, poured gas on the kitchen floor and lit it up. He did a good job making it look like an electrical fire. You can still see the burn marks on the roof. He sold it to the first jerk who offered him money. He bought it for $110K, dumped about $40K into it over 2 years and sold it for $177K. He made no profit because the Town of Smithtown was after him constantly. He had all kinds of tax issues and fines. So this investor guy bought the house with no knowledge of the previous flooding issues. He hired one Spanish guy to paint over the smoke damage and put up a for sale sign. He originally listed it at $299,000!!!!!!!!!! I hope people are doing their homework, because this house is not suitable to be lived in by rats, let alone humans. The price has dropped several times since and is now listed at $234,900. Pretty soon, he will have to drop it to the price he bought it at, and LOSE money. Same goes for the moron who bought 2 Schoolhouse ROAD for $139K. You drive your fancy car to check up on the workers flipping your flood shack every day. The floor boards were warped from water and the cesspool was coming up through the bathtub. You can hide it now because the water table is low, but when you sell it to a family who is unsuspecting and didn't do their homework, they are going to sue the pants off ya when the water comes back. Not to mention, you can't sell that tiny house for more than 5 Charles, so good luck with that!!! And to all you realtors showing 5 Charles Ct and not telling people the truth, HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT after showing families with small CHILDREN this house!? CANT YOU SMELL THE SMOKE DAMAGE and/or the MOLD? SHAME ON YOU!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sayville Discussions

Search the Sayville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 29 min Adam Wolff 115,569
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 1 hr Adam Wolff 6,367
Giant Garage Sale 1 hr Adam Wolff 15
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) 18 hr Gravity Pete 670
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Mon cornholio 437
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) Mon sdd 755
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Mon trs 16,778
•••
•••

Sayville News Video

•••
•••

Sayville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••