Police: Cop drove at 'excessive speed...

Police: Cop drove at 'excessive speed' before crash

There are 105 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 23, 2009, titled Police: Cop drove at 'excessive speed' before crash. In it, Newsday reports that:

Skid marks and the damage done to the borrowed sports car he was driving show Quogue Village police officer Richard Kappel was going at "an excessive speed" when he crashed the vehicle, killing himself and a passenger, according to Det.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Poser

Oakdale, NY

#87 Jun 25, 2009
peace wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't believe everything you read in THE POST!
Bet you have never sped before with someone else in the car , you must be perfect, lucky for your family.
I think the term "speeding" does not really capture the reality of what happened. 60mph is speeding...100+mph is speeding, no way are they even remotely the same.
working

Yonkers, NY

#88 Jun 25, 2009
If he wasn't a police officer this liberal rag of a newspaper would never have printed a follow up.
Banastre Tarleton

Brooklyn, NY

#89 Jun 25, 2009
peace wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't believe everything you read in THE POST!
Bet you have never sped before with someone else in the car , you must be perfect, lucky for your family.
You really should'nt do it if you are testifying against someone who did it !!

Since: May 07

Massapequa, NY

#90 Jun 26, 2009
Say What wrote:
Curious, Newsday has run no less than 4 versions of this article - yet today they removed the comment section on all of them. Looks like the PBA got to Newsday and they bent over & did what they were told. The Southampton Press has done the same thing, no comments allowed. This is not surprising as the Mayor has a relative working as an editor and gets whatever he orders blacked out. Must be nice!
Still no real info on the poor passenger and his family, the real victims of this mess. It's all about the hero cop who had an accident. Pathetic.
Had Gomez been the driver all the cops posting here would have a very different attitude. At least the County ME Office has stepped in and ordered autopsies, maybe they think the 5 min investigation by the Town was not good enough....
Funny, the cop on the LIE who crashed & died still has toxicology pending, but here in SH Town.......
They just smile & look the other way, no matter what the crime.
The cop on the LIE was drunk and had beers in the car/ It will all come out in the wash. That is way the suffolk police were not allowing in the crime scene at all.
Not exactly

Port Washington, NY

#91 Jun 26, 2009
working wrote:
If he wasn't a police officer this liberal rag of a newspaper would never have printed a follow up.
No, it he wasn't a PO they wouldn't have given "professional courtesy" and they would have printed BAC and other details...
Me00o

Brooklyn, NY

#92 Jun 26, 2009
Gerard spano wrote:
Sorry to hear the tragic news for Rich and Christian. My condolences go out to their famillies. Sometimes people make poor decisions and unfortunately a great guy like Rich who I personally know paid the ultimate price for it. I am sure he would never of wanted to kill his passenger or bring so much sorrow to his family. I must make a comment to all the mean spirited people you may have to deal with a tragedy of this magnitude one day. Have a Heart RIP Rich Your Friend Gerard
you have some nerve. your friend was a bully, a POS,,and he died a murderer

why not emulate him?

just try not to hurt any trees, smash into a brick wall
Scooby

New York, NY

#93 Jun 26, 2009
CARL MATTSON wrote:
<quoted text>
The cop on the LIE was drunk and had beers in the car/ It will all come out in the wash. That is way the suffolk police were not allowing in the crime scene at all.
Word is out around the precincts that the PBA has already begun calling in the officers who worked the last shift with the SCPD cop that died on the LIE to find out who was out with him, where they were, what went on, and how much drinking was done.

One of the cops who was already called down to Frayler's office arrived with his own attorney.
peace

Norwalk, CT

#94 Jun 26, 2009
Gerard spano wrote:
Sorry to hear the tragic news for Rich and Christian. My condolences go out to their famillies. Sometimes people make poor decisions and unfortunately a great guy like Rich who I personally know paid the ultimate price for it. I am sure he would never of wanted to kill his passenger or bring so much sorrow to his family. I must make a comment to all the mean spirited people you may have to deal with a tragedy of this magnitude one day. Have a Heart RIP Rich Your Friend Gerard
My family and I also knew Rich and his family, and are proud to call them our friends.
John Gottis Corpse

New York, NY

#95 Jun 26, 2009
peace wrote:
<quoted text>
My family and I also knew Rich and his family, and are proud to call them our friends.
Then I'd hate to see the character of your enemies.
Banastre Tarleton

Brooklyn, NY

#96 Jun 26, 2009
They should handle this investigation on a Federal level.... There has been too much Police abuse of the law in the last couple of years on Long Island reguarding Drinking, and accidents, and death, beatings ect.... I can think of at least 5 major incidents... There is alot wrong here !!
Drunk Cop

College Point, NY

#97 Jun 26, 2009
He was loaded
Scooby

New York, NY

#98 Jun 26, 2009
Weren't he and the wife in the midst of a divorce?

So if he wasn't out drinking then I got a pretty good idea of what he was doing. We just don't know who she is.
Fulton Medstre

Cedar Knolls, NJ

#99 Jun 26, 2009
Banastre Tarleton wrote:
They should handle this investigation on a Federal level.... There has been too much Police abuse of the law in the last couple of years on Long Island reguarding Drinking, and accidents, and death, beatings ect.... I can think of at least 5 major incidents... There is alot wrong here !!
ALL LI PD's should be merged and like Chicago recently did, a former FBI supervisor should be appointed PC in order to bring these cowboys in blue up to ONE professional standard.
no on really

United States

#100 Jun 26, 2009
Scooby wrote:
So if he wasn't out drinking then I got a pretty good idea of what he was doing. We just don't know who she is.
It was probaly the bimbo at the precient, she gets around
Reality Check

Philadelphia, PA

#101 Jun 28, 2009
Johnny T wrote:
What a pack of Idiots most of you are. You should be ashamed of yourselves!!! FIRST, DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ BECAUSE MOST OF THE POEPLE GETTING THE STORY GET IT WRONG AS IN THIS CASE!!! I am a friend of Rich's and HE WAS NOT DRIVING!!!!!!!! Christian was!!!! Rich was a GREAT GUY, GREAT FATHER AND A GREAT FRIEND!!!! A DEVOTED POLICE OFFICER THAT PROTECTED MOST OF YOUR STINKING LIVES AND WORSHIPPED HIS FAMILY. NO ONE KNOWS WHY CHRISTIAN
WAS SPEEDING, BUT HE WAS AND NOW WE HAVE TO LIVE THE REST OF OUR LIVES WITHOUT THE TWO OF THEM. GET A LIFE PEOPLE!!!!!!
Blame the victim right? You have some nerve. F.Y.I., Alot of us posting are in the know, so don't get on here and spread your BS claiming that your "buddy" was some type of victim. Yeah he was a cop, so what! What his job title was makes no difference to me. The facts are, he took a car without the owners consent, drove like an ass and caused an accident killing himself and Christian. "His" actions left Christians wife and child and his own wife and children without their husbands/ fathers. He alone is the cause of this tragedy, no one else. My only sympathy lies with the victims of this whole mess. His wife and children have to live without a father and Christians wife and child have to do the same. There are no winners here, we all have lost in this tragedy, But I'll be damned if I sit back and let you run your mouth claiming this was Christians fault. Not on my watch pal!
The Fuzz

Middle Island, NY

#102 Jun 28, 2009
no on really wrote:
<quoted text>
It was probaly the bimbo at the precient, she gets around
I heard about her too,and she also has Herpes!

“ Fighting a corrupt system”

Since: Aug 08

Centereach,NY

#103 Jun 28, 2009
Scooby wrote:
Well at this point there's gonna be a pretty rich single lady out there who most definetly will not repeat the same mistake twice looking to shack up with another cop. Whoever she remarries pretty much hit the lottery.

“ Fighting a corrupt system”

Since: Aug 08

Centereach,NY

#104 Jun 28, 2009
Banastre Tarleton wrote:
Some yrs back there was PO McCready, related to the infamous Det. McCready. Who while under the influence of marijuana and alcohol killed a young mother when he crossed the double yellow line.
Just the Fakts

Patchogue, NY

#105 Jun 28, 2009
Uncle Jesse wrote:
<quoted text>Some yrs back there was PO McCready, related to the infamous Det. McCready. Who while under the influence of marijuana and alcohol killed a young mother when he crossed the double yellow line.
Det. McCready, biggest piece of S**t, to put on the badge. Just takes a couple of those to tarnish a depts reputation.
me00o

Ridge, NY

#106 Jun 28, 2009
Speed kills wrote:
<quoted text> Perhaps you didn't read the article. The officer was off duty..
I did read the article(s). I think what he did was thoughtless, My post was referring to his profession and willingness to help people in his career as a policeofficer and in the national guard.

"This is a tragedy, my heart goes out to the family. These people posting who are so negative on the police should take the risk themselves and protect others, putting themselves in danger if need be. Seems to me it's a profession that requires a bit more bravery, risk-taking and plain old gumption then most. Certainly more than my job and probably more than most of those people who are posting here. I would not put myself at the risk that police do but I'm damn glad there are people out there like him that will. Sincere condolences to both their family and friends."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sayville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) Thu USS LIBERTY 121,928
What is the story behind the real suicides of H... (Jun '07) Thu Jack Mehoff 40
News Use millions to transform Long Island MacArthur... Apr 26 Islandwide 4
News Plastic bags put over red-light cameras (Apr '16) Apr 26 Yeahsure 9
News Tankleff half sister rips DA, says Marty's guilty (Jan '08) Apr 24 Kennymac 105
Review: Face Off Racing (Feb '10) Apr 24 thestainmaster 220
News Northport teacher arrested for "inappropriate r... (Mar '07) Apr 20 Bumpkinsville Bubba 247

Sayville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sayville Mortgages