Police: Cop drove at 'excessive speed...

Police: Cop drove at 'excessive speed' before crash

There are 105 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 23, 2009, titled Police: Cop drove at 'excessive speed' before crash. In it, Newsday reports that:

Skid marks and the damage done to the borrowed sports car he was driving show Quogue Village police officer Richard Kappel was going at "an excessive speed" when he crashed the vehicle, killing himself and a passenger, according to Det.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

me00o

Brooklyn, NY

#21 Jun 23, 2009
what a moron. and, he dies a murderer, too.

well, he won't do that again.
me00o

Brooklyn, NY

#22 Jun 23, 2009
wow, topix liked my post so much they put it up twice
Anonymous

New Milford, NJ

#24 Jun 23, 2009
No matter what the situation is, why don't some of you heartless jerks try taking Rich's poor wife and two very young daughters into consideration! Those poor girls have to go on the rest of their life without their daddy and you have the nerve to make comments like this, I'm sure if it was your father no matter what the cause of death was you wouldn't want someone making comments like that!
Kevin

Piscataway, NJ

#25 Jun 23, 2009
me00o wrote:
<quoted text>
then the idiot should have thought of that before driving 120 MPH
he could have killed many people, lucky he didn't
DARWIN
Guess you never made any mistakes in your life huh. do you think he wanted this to happen? Two people have died , doesnt give you the right to call him an idiot.
Banastre Tarleton

Brooklyn, NY

#26 Jun 23, 2009
Anonymous wrote:
No matter what the situation is, why don't some of you heartless jerks try taking Rich's poor wife and two very young daughters into consideration! Those poor girls have to go on the rest of their life without their daddy and you have the nerve to make comments like this, I'm sure if it was your father no matter what the cause of death was you wouldn't want someone making comments like that!
If he was thinking of them he would still be around !!
Suffolk Resident

West Babylon, NY

#27 Jun 23, 2009
Kevin wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess you never made any mistakes in your life huh. do you think he wanted this to happen? Two people have died , doesnt give you the right to call him an idiot.
He may or may not be an idiot, that is not the issue.
But there is no question that he did something VERY stupid & it cost somebody else's life.
Kevin

Piscataway, NJ

#28 Jun 23, 2009
Banastre Tarleton wrote:
<quoted text>If he was thinking of them he would still be around !!
Why dont you go watch TV or read a book. Stop making nasty remarks, you wouldnt want your family reading crap like this about you. And by the way did you by any chance serve this country like he did, it is because of men like him we have our freedom!!!
Eat Pray Queeph

Long Beach, NY

#29 Jun 23, 2009
If you didnt see him speeding, then you cant say he was speeding, TOwn of Southhampton bumblfuk police dept det sgt. Det Sgt is a BullShi rank anyway.
Anonymous

New Milford, NJ

#31 Jun 23, 2009
Banastre Tarleton wrote:
<quoted text>If he was thinking of them he would still be around !!

Are you serious? Everyone makes mistakes, I'm sure he didn't get behind the wheel that day and say "Okay, Chrisitan, let's go for a ride so I can go real fast so I can kill you and I and also never see my kids or wife again!"
RIP Rich and Christian!
Ponderous

Oakdale, NY

#33 Jun 23, 2009
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious? Everyone makes mistakes, I'm sure he didn't get behind the wheel that day and say "Okay, Chrisitan, let's go for a ride so I can go real fast so I can kill you and I and also never see my kids or wife again!"
RIP Rich and Christian!
It's a shame that thought never entered his mind at all...
Banastre Tarleton

Brooklyn, NY

#34 Jun 23, 2009
Kevin wrote:
<quoted text>
Why dont you go watch TV or read a book. Stop making nasty remarks, you wouldnt want your family reading **** like this about you. And by the way did you by any chance serve this country like he did, it is because of men like him we have our freedom!!!
Your right and I hope he never handed out a speeding ticket.... God rest his soul ...
CanYouHandleTheT ruth

Montague, NJ

#35 Jun 23, 2009
Anonymous wrote:
He supposedly got off work at 8PM attended a party for a disbanding Suffolk police sqaud and crashed the vehicle at 5 AM. Allegedly alcohol was not involved.

Pray tell how waas that established before the full autopsy is completed.

If you don't mind I'll wait for the toxicology report from the Medical Examiner. I seriously doubt they serve soda and bottled water at police parties for a unit being disbanded.
A-Fraud

Port Washington, NY

#36 Jun 23, 2009
CanYouHandleTheTruth wrote:
<quoted text>
He supposedly got off work at 8PM attended a party for a disbanding Suffolk police sqaud and crashed the vehicle at 5 AM. Allegedly alcohol was not involved.
It was handled by professional courtesy -- as always.
<quoted text>If you don't mind I'll wait for the toxicology report from the Medical Examiner. I seriously doubt they serve soda and bottled water at police parties for a unit being disbanded.
Read the right article

Ridge, NY

#37 Jun 23, 2009
<quoted text>
If you don't mind I'll wait for the toxicology report from the Medical Examiner. I seriously doubt they serve soda and bottled water at police parties for a unit being disbanded.
You are not talking about the correct accident. This accident happened on Sunday afternoon. Know the facts before you spew your sarcasm
speed chick

Jersey City, NJ

#38 Jun 23, 2009
I agree that heartless comments are painful to the family. I often wonder why Newsday allows these comments on many of their articles. Frankly, I think they like to watch people come on here and attack each other. It must be so amusing to them. My favorite is when they perpetuate all of the teacher-bashing right before the May school budget elections. Why not bash cops too? Hey - let's go after ALL of our public officials since they are the [email protected] of society as we know it!!!!!
Dave

Orlando, FL

#39 Jun 23, 2009
Where this crash happened is very rural.I am sure he took the car there to open it up and see how fast he could go.Too bad it was wet.I bet they would still be alive today if the roads where dry.I admit I have done the same thing on that road.Not a car insight and I let it fly.

“Another 240 million”

Since: May 09

Up in smoke

#40 Jun 23, 2009
wheres the BAC?? if this was you,me or one of our family members the SCPD would have it smeared allover every paper in new york.i hope levy keeps attacking these hypocrite losers.now we get to see the coverage of the "hero cops" funeral as hundreds of cops clog up the streets and flood the local bars boohoooing and drinking the day away on the taxpayers dime.
Amazing

Watertown, CT

#41 Jun 23, 2009
Kevin wrote:
These men are dads, husbands , sons , uncles . Their family memebers read this if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all. god bless their families during this tragic time.
AND he could have KILLED someones dad, husband, son, uncle, aunt, mother, grandmother....etc...
Amazing

Watertown, CT

#44 Jun 23, 2009
Anonymous wrote:
If HE was thinking about them, he might have driven within the law. AND THANK GOD he didn't kill someone else's wife and daughters. I'm SO sick of people acting like the maniacs on the road deserve ANY compassion. Most of the angry comments here are from people who are SICK of this CARNAGE on our roads of INNOCENT people due to these MORONS.
Anon

Ridge, NY

#46 Jun 23, 2009
This is a tragedy, my heart goes out to the family. These people posting who are so negative on the police should take the risk themselves and protect others, putting themselves in danger if need be. Seems to me it's a profession that requires a bit more bravery, risk-taking and plain old gumption then most. Certainly more than my job and probably more than most of those people who are posting here. I would not put myself at the risk that police due but I'm damn glad there are people out there like him that will. Sincere condolences to both their family and friends.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sayville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Islip approves capital budget to help ambulance... 1 hr bunch of thieves 13
Farmingville, NY (Jul '10) 4 hr Chuck 36
Noise pollution 8 hr Concerned 1
News Islip supervisor hails town's finances and achi... 23 hr may he burn in Hell 5
News Arrest ends probe into teen's overdose (Mar '07) Mon F_Rogers 188
News Twist in Croci's path to war zone Mar 25 What Hero 8
News Police dig up East Islip backyard in search of ... (Jan '08) Mar 22 Mystery 88

Sayville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sayville Mortgages