Police: Cop drove at 'excessive speed' before crash

Full story: Newsday 105
Skid marks and the damage done to the borrowed sports car he was driving show Quogue Village police officer Richard Kappel was going at "an excessive speed" when he crashed the vehicle, killing himself and a passenger, according to Det. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Average Joe

Great Neck, NY

#1 Jun 23, 2009
RIP Rich Kappel and Christian Gomez
Ren Hoek

Nashua, NH

#2 Jun 23, 2009
What stupidity.
Oy Vey

Glen Cove, NY

#3 Jun 23, 2009
The kwops are out of control. They work for the bankers.
http://www.wntube.net/play.php...
Susan

Torrington, CT

#4 Jun 23, 2009
RIP
oink

Roosevelt, NY

#5 Jun 23, 2009
a cop with a ferrari?
and everyone complains about teacher salaries? interesting

oh, no seat belts I guess?
Gary

Stratford, CT

#6 Jun 23, 2009
"There was no indication alcohol was a factor, Hintze said"

Of course there wasnt. It was a cop and if he was driving drunk it would probably mess with the nice life insurance \ pension settlement that his widow is gonna get
Kevin

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Jun 23, 2009
These men are dads, husbands , sons , uncles . Their family memebers read this if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all. god bless their families during this tragic time.
Read The Story

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Jun 23, 2009
oink wrote:
a cop with a ferrari?
and everyone complains about teacher salaries? interesting
oh, no seat belts I guess?
It was borrowed and no, neither occupant was wearing a seat belt.

Opening sentence:

Skid marks and the damage done to the borrowed sports car he was driving...

Third paragraph:

Neither occupant was wearing a seat belt.
Bite Me

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Jun 23, 2009
Kevin wrote:
These men are dads, husbands , sons , uncles . Their family memebers read this if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all. god bless their families during this tragic time.
Luckily this man didn't take the life of someone else's dad, husband, son, uncle, wife, mother, daughter, aunt.

I always say that the best thing that could happen to some of these maniacs driving on our roads is they are promptly introduced to a tree or some other solid standing stationary object rather than some poor schmuck driving down the road minding his/her own business.
Cecil

Pleasantville, NY

#10 Jun 23, 2009
Rest in peace Rich.
common sense is dead

East Setauket, NY

#11 Jun 23, 2009
Oy Vey wrote:
The kwops are out of control. They work for the bankers.
http://www.wntube.net/play.php...
Give it up braindead !!! your'e a joke!
Walter TheTruth Berry

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Jun 23, 2009
I dount behive werear herein thar truth !
joey

Whippany, NJ

#13 Jun 23, 2009
The officer gets articles written about him, words of praise, and days of mourning from co-workers, family members and friends. The poor guy he KILLED while driving recklessly gets nothing but his name mentioned, as if his life wasn't important at all! Does anyone else find this strange. The article SHOULD HAVE BEEN about the innocent passenger who's life was cut short by the driver, who happened to be an off-duty cop.
michaelmetsfan

Alameda, CA

#14 Jun 23, 2009
And he had a wife and two little children? And he liked to go fast? You have to grow up sometime. I usually don't speak badly of the deceased, but at least he didn't kill anyone else besides his passenger.
brenda

AOL

#15 Jun 23, 2009
most cops i know are arrogant dikheads sorry to say it. and a ferrari? you have to be kidding me. this just shows you how stupid the taxpayers of LI are!
Yeah

Milford, CT

#16 Jun 23, 2009
Not wearing a seatbelt wasn't smart, but still a Ferrari going straight at high speeds like it's built to suddenly loses it and crashes...doesn't sound right. Sad to say, but just goes to show you even the police break laws because they too are human. Feel bad for the family.
jerks

Pleasantville, NY

#17 Jun 23, 2009
michaelmetsfan wrote:
I usually don't speak badly of the deceased, but at least he didn't kill anyone else besides his passenger.
Why start now? We know cops are above the law but not the law of god!

Since: May 07

Patchogue, NY

#18 Jun 23, 2009
joey wrote:
The officer gets articles written about him, words of praise, and days of mourning from co-workers, family members and friends. The poor guy he KILLED while driving recklessly gets nothing but his name mentioned, as if his life wasn't important at all! Does anyone else find this strange. The article SHOULD HAVE BEEN about the innocent passenger who's life was cut short by the driver, who happened to be an off-duty cop.
Look at the off duty suffolk cop on the LIE that was trying to outrun the deputies for speeding.
Say What

Somerville, NJ

#19 Jun 23, 2009
While my heart & condolences go out to the families, this Police Officer killed someone with reckless driving. Had he been anyone but a cop, the story & comments would read a bit different. Excessive speed and obvious reckless driving does not make a hero, especially from a Village where one mile an hour over the limit gets you pulled over.
Last time I checked, vehicular homicide was a crime..........No seatbelts, high speed and rain..what a waste.
speed chick

New York, NY

#20 Jun 23, 2009
As someone who has owned and driven fast cars since I was a teenager, I can say from firsthand account that someone who is going to drive a car like that needs EXPERIENCE driving it... driving a high performance vehicle is challenging and dangerous... and driving it how he did and where he did was just plain reckless. As a police officer, he should have known better. If you want to play with a car like that, take it to a track... and at least have some experience with it before you "nail" it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sayville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 21 min henu 6,432
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 hr Ratloder 118,230
you left your dog behind 21 hr patchogue resident 5
Review: Face Off Racing (Feb '10) Mon rob 210
Who is Arty Price Mon Cher 1
Lingering scars of a fateful night (Mar '07) Sep 12 You Lied 46
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Sep 12 Stan Stasiak 16,786
•••

Sayville News Video

•••
•••

Sayville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Sayville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE