A baby boom of clams in Great South Bay

Full story: Newsday

Efforts to restore the Great South Bay 's decimated clam population seem to be paying off, with surveys showing a 4,000 percent rise since 2006 in the amount of baby clams nestled on the bottom of a major ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Self Reliant

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

Judged:

great news, since there is a massive depression I am getting to work on a clam boat!

“Read between the lines”

Since: Mar 07

Lindenhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

Awesome, that means next summer I will have one heck of a clam bake.
wow

Medford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

Judged:

Great South Bay needs a second inlet. Let mother nature take her course and open a second inlet and stop filling the natural breaches in.
wow

Medford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

Great news about the clams. The Nature Conservitory has put a lot of effort into the clam seeding project. Good job..
nineteen sixties bayman

Bethany, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

brings a smile to my face - thanks
Ready to leave

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

Let's just hope the repair work on the Bergin outfall pipe works(that sewer outfall pipe still leaking ??)
Now Carl, how 'bout seeding the bays of Nassau county?
NIMBY Island

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

Judged:

wow wrote:
Great South Bay needs a second inlet. Let mother nature take her course and open a second inlet and stop filling the natural breaches in.
A second inlet right through Cherry Grove would be a win win.
Fire Islander

Hampton Bays, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

Judged:

Dig a new inlet east of the lighthouse to provide a healthier flush. The present treacherous one would fill in immediately. Following such a scenario, dismantle the damaged bridge (that helped destroy Fire Island by enabling over development) replacing it with a much easier maintained surface road to the State Park. This natural water obstacle would eliminate the bumper to bumper four wheel drive beach and interior automotive traffic which has spoiled this former paradise. Assuring happy healthy clams, future oysters, scallops and mussels--just like prior to 1964.
Ready to leave

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2008

Back to the 60's I like it.

“Wait til next year”

Since: Dec 06

Brooklyn NY USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

Judged:

wow wrote:
Carefull - too many inlets and you'll be back to the old days - no clams.
Greg Dzus

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

Joseph Tyson wrote:
<quoted text>Carefull - too many inlets and you'll be back to the old days - no clams.
I agree 100% due to the fact that the more inlets you have the higher the salinity(salt)level will be and we all know clams love brackish water.
Greg Dzus

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

How about putting back more fresh water back into the bay.The day Long Island decided on the sewer system was the day hard clams were doomed.The cesspool system allows water to be filtered through sand which ends up in all the natural springs under ground that eventually filter into the bay creating brackish water.Just take a look at some of the smaller natural ponds.There water level has decreased because they are feed from under ground springs.Maybe it's time to put back the water into the ground.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sayville Discussions

Search the Sayville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 min An NFL Fan 114,937
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 2 hr Billy O Liar 6,353
Review: Edp Dental Plan (Jan '10) 19 hr helen smith 30
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 22 hr Voter 16,767
Giant Garage Sale 23 hr Charlie 12
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Sun Sham Hanutty 436
North Bellport land-use plan draws support, con... Sat Helen 1
•••
•••

Sayville News Video

•••
•••

Sayville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Sayville People Search