A baby boom of clams in Great South Bay

A baby boom of clams in Great South Bay

There are 12 comments on the Newsday story from Nov 13, 2008, titled A baby boom of clams in Great South Bay. In it, Newsday reports that:

Efforts to restore the Great South Bay 's decimated clam population seem to be paying off, with surveys showing a 4,000 percent rise since 2006 in the amount of baby clams nestled on the bottom of a major ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Self Reliant

Bay Shore, NY

#1 Nov 13, 2008
great news, since there is a massive depression I am getting to work on a clam boat!

“Read between the lines”

Since: Mar 07

Lindenhurst, NY

#2 Nov 13, 2008
Awesome, that means next summer I will have one heck of a clam bake.
wow

Patchogue, NY

#3 Nov 13, 2008
Great South Bay needs a second inlet. Let mother nature take her course and open a second inlet and stop filling the natural breaches in.
wow

Patchogue, NY

#4 Nov 13, 2008
Great news about the clams. The Nature Conservitory has put a lot of effort into the clam seeding project. Good job..
nineteen sixties bayman

Wallingford, CT

#5 Nov 14, 2008
brings a smile to my face - thanks
Ready to leave

Darien, CT

#6 Nov 14, 2008
Let's just hope the repair work on the Bergin outfall pipe works(that sewer outfall pipe still leaking ??)
Now Carl, how 'bout seeding the bays of Nassau county?
NIMBY Island

Trumbull, CT

#7 Nov 14, 2008
wow wrote:
Great South Bay needs a second inlet. Let mother nature take her course and open a second inlet and stop filling the natural breaches in.
A second inlet right through Cherry Grove would be a win win.
Fire Islander

Hampton Bays, NY

#8 Nov 14, 2008
Dig a new inlet east of the lighthouse to provide a healthier flush. The present treacherous one would fill in immediately. Following such a scenario, dismantle the damaged bridge (that helped destroy Fire Island by enabling over development) replacing it with a much easier maintained surface road to the State Park. This natural water obstacle would eliminate the bumper to bumper four wheel drive beach and interior automotive traffic which has spoiled this former paradise. Assuring happy healthy clams, future oysters, scallops and mussels--just like prior to 1964.
Ready to leave

Darien, CT

#9 Nov 16, 2008
Back to the 60's I like it.

“Wait til next year”

Since: Dec 06

Brooklyn NY USA

#10 Apr 5, 2009
wow wrote:
Carefull - too many inlets and you'll be back to the old days - no clams.
Greg Dzus

Hoboken, NJ

#11 Jan 9, 2010
Joseph Tyson wrote:
<quoted text>Carefull - too many inlets and you'll be back to the old days - no clams.
I agree 100% due to the fact that the more inlets you have the higher the salinity(salt)level will be and we all know clams love brackish water.
Greg Dzus

Hoboken, NJ

#12 Jan 9, 2010
How about putting back more fresh water back into the bay.The day Long Island decided on the sewer system was the day hard clams were doomed.The cesspool system allows water to be filtered through sand which ends up in all the natural springs under ground that eventually filter into the bay creating brackish water.Just take a look at some of the smaller natural ponds.There water level has decreased because they are feed from under ground springs.Maybe it's time to put back the water into the ground.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sayville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Race War (Nov '14) 17 hr John Albert 12
News NESCONSET: Man charged in theft of Turkey Trot ... (Jan '08) Mon Tamgirl 16
News West Islip Little League Cleans Up Fields Flood... (Mar '13) Sun Proud baseball Dad 8
Review: Law Firm of Mark S. Eghrari & Associate... (Jun '12) May 30 GBarbara 37
What is the story behind the real suicides of H... (Jun '07) May 30 Douchebagatelle Rd 34
News The Artist's Fall Collection (Feb '08) May 28 robkail 22
News Retired Teacher From Holbrook Arrested For Chil... (Jan '13) May 28 Happy not 3
More from around the web

Sayville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]