Washovers, flooding seen in Fire Isla...

Washovers, flooding seen in Fire Island communities again

There are 93 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 27, 2012, titled Washovers, flooding seen in Fire Island communities again. In it, Newsday reports that:

The latest nor'easter to hit Long Island brought many washovers and several feet of flooding to areas of Fire Island, officials from two communities there said Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Dec 07

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#66 Jan 6, 2013
GoodNews wrote:
The first "seawall" that has to be built will be the dune restoration on Fire Island. Without restoring Fire Island as a barrier beach, we can stop the conversation.
They have installed snowfenceing to the east of Smithpoint. I have to say that in some places it is doing a remarkable job of catching wind driven sand. In other areas, it has been knocked over by the recent washovers and needs to be put upright to take advantage of the higher winter winds.This was in the worst washover areas across from MB.To the west of Smithpoint,no snowfencing has been installed to date,and you can not see any accumulation of sand where the dunes once stood.The breach to the west is still pretty significant, yet seems to be getting a bit smaller (this is relative,as the sea was very calm yesterday) and changing shape.The current wave action is redepositing the sand that was pulled off the beach during the storms and the winds are favorable and moving sand eastward (we just need that snowfence!)
GoodNews

Mastic Beach, NY

#67 Jan 6, 2013
The southwest wind favors rebuilding the beach. This is the prevailing wind in summertime. Problem comes with a northeast /east wind which can destroy a duneline in a matter of hours.
What we need now is emergency sand scraping permits along with dredges to rebuild a duneline. Then perhaps a series of dunelines need to be put in place.The current situation will result in catastrophic flooding for Mastic Beach. The only question now is when the next nor'easter in combination with a high tide cycle will hit us.As we saw with Sandy, it doesn't seem like we can even use a calendar to predict anymore. This is now a year round threat.
Crazy thinking

Mastic Beach, NY

#68 Jan 6, 2013
And yet with all this flooding, the villages biggest concern is to rezone the waterfront to allow MORE houses and businesses? Fix neighborhood rd first.
Bulldozer for rent

Mastic Beach, NY

#69 Jan 6, 2013
Crazy thinking wrote:
And yet with all this flooding, the villages biggest concern is to rezone the waterfront to allow MORE houses and businesses? Fix neighborhood rd first.
It will take a bulldozer to fix Neighborhood Rd. Most of the business owners, or the building owners are not willing to invest a dime. They even turned down facade improvement grants a few years ago. No business should have vinyl siding either, it looks like crap. It is also not the damn villages fault. You are trying to twist one issue around another. I wish Bentley was here to argue with you. Bentley told me he is running for office as soon as he gets back on Long Island.

Since: Mar 12

Mastic Beach

#70 Jan 6, 2013
Bulldozer for rent wrote:
<quoted text>It will take a bulldozer to fix Neighborhood Rd. Most of the business owners, or the building owners are not willing to invest a dime. They even turned down facade improvement grants a few years ago. No business should have vinyl siding either, it looks like crap. It is also not the damn villages fault. You are trying to twist one issue around another. I wish Bentley was here to argue with you. Bentley told me he is running for office as soon as he gets back on Long Island.
It may not be the Villages fault....but it's their responsibility to make sure it is maintained. You're wrong...their are shop owners that care. I know for a fact that Bow Wow has sunk quite a bit of THIER OWN $$$ into their building. The cheesecake place keeps his nice as does the ice cream....that "thrift store" dump needs to go. Beach burger keeps his cute, the little eclectic shop (I'm drawing a blank on the name) is awfully cute. The hairdresser is nice, Handy Pantry keeps their building decent as does the taxi even though there's not much to it. The Village has the responsibility to make sure that the rest is kept up & looking nice....they chose to run & get elected....not do the job...they cannot pick & chose what they would like to do, it doesn't work that way.....

Since: Dec 07

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#71 Jan 6, 2013
On a good note,Sandy has brought new and exciting changes to us due to the washovers. It's a short paddle away to the beach now, drag your kayak up on to beach sand and stroll across to the ocean

Since: Apr 09

Mastic Beach, NY

#72 Jan 6, 2013
whoopsing wrote:
On a good note,Sandy has brought new and exciting changes to us due to the washovers. It's a short paddle away to the beach now, drag your kayak up on to beach sand and stroll across to the ocean
Looking forward to summer. Better fishing in the bay.

Since: Apr 09

Mastic Beach, NY

#74 Jan 7, 2013
Deputy Mayor McCheese wrote:
<quoted text>how so? more bait in the bay? better access for fish predominately found in the ocean only?
I wouldnt say fish predominately found in the ocean. The inlet is 40 to 50 feet deep and you dont see that. Bluefish,stippers,
weakfish, fluke and flounder will have more access to the feeding grounds. Probably the only good thing about haveing the new cuts. Of course I would rather they fill it in stop ny flooding which might occur. My little shack is to close for comfort.
GoodNews

Mastic Beach, NY

#75 Jan 7, 2013
The reason the fishing in the bay will be better is because the bay will be cleaner. The red tide pollution is killing off the eelgrass beds. Those beds support the clams and are a breeding ground for juvenile fish.If we can bring back cleaner water and restore the eelgrass, we can have many clams and lots of fish.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#76 Jan 7, 2013
We can now charge clam and fishing fees and make this village better than Hampton Dunes. Sorry I think that was the Koolaid talking
MB Lover1

Norwalk, CT

#77 Jan 7, 2013
I just saw Gary on News12. The Village along with the County of Suffolk are cleaning up the wetlands. I wonder if DEC permits were required?
clean up mess

Shirley, NY

#78 Jan 7, 2013
I am very suspicious that a nice percentage of the televised garbage including the acetylene tank came from Gary's boat yard
VOTE THEM OUT

Mastic Beach, NY

#79 Jan 7, 2013
MB Lover1 wrote:
I just saw Gary on News12. The Village along with the County of Suffolk are cleaning up the wetlands. I wonder if DEC permits were required?
So now he wants to clean up the wet lands? But he also is proposing to re-zone the wet lands to build on them at tonight's meeting. So for TV he's "cleaning" up MBV, but behind closed doors he's re-zoning them. What a fake crook this guy is!
Petition

Shirley, NY

#80 Jan 7, 2013
VOTE THEM OUT wrote:
<quoted text>So now he wants to clean up the wet lands? But he also is proposing to re-zone the wet lands to build on them at tonight's meeting. So for TV he's "cleaning" up MBV, but behind closed doors he's re-zoning them. What a fake crook this guy is!
Let the Campaign begin! It only took them 2 and a half months to start cleaning up the waterfront. It still looks like sh!t everywhere with crap still needing to be picked up.
March is comming

White Plains, NY

#81 Jan 8, 2013
Went to the village meeting tonight and Mayor Bill has been busting his butt trying to get the wash overs closed.
This is the fourth time I see the Mayor taking action on something without listing to Gary. Good for you Mr. Mayor!
Gary on the other hand is cleaning up the wetlands from Sandy with Suffolk County doing most of the work. The only problem is they are cleaning up by his boat yard and the PCCA homes. And this is nine weeks after the storm.
The word around the village is that Gary Stiriz wants to run for mayor against Bill.
It looks like Mayor Bill has seen the light.
Mayor Bill has my vote in March,I could not put up with two more years of Gary's B/S.
And I will vote for Tom Fox to if he is running.
to late

Shirley, NY

#82 Jan 8, 2013
It is to late for Bill trying to be a model with only 2 months left to go.He has to go along with Gary and Tim with the new regime must also be fired.That would be a great start.
dump them

White Plains, NY

#83 Jan 9, 2013
to late wrote:
It is to late for Bill trying to be a model with only 2 months left to go.He has to go along with Gary and Tim with the new regime must also be fired.That would be a great start.
Agree, all the Stiriz defenders must go and all the PCCA and Vision Team people also.
Time to clean house and vote down that four year term.
Next year we can get rid of Gail who never did what she said she would do when she was running.
She talked about how bad Gary was and how she would change things, but now she and him are good buddy's. And some one should wake up Bob because he always looks like he is asleep. He to is a Stiriz fan. The only one that stands by herself is Carol because none of them like her and want to work with her.
I also like Tom Fox and Maura Spery because they ask questions and don't go with the flow.
mostly on track

Shirley, NY

#84 Jan 9, 2013
Dump them--You basically right on track with my thinking and into the next election.The only negative would be to put Maura into the pot.I like her and think she is a great person but she is the the type of investor that we want out of here.Gail went sour.Bob a great guy is going with the flow an thats a negative.Carol I like is a thorn in there side that will not go away.Her I am on the fence with so far as keeping her.Not sure how she will mix if kept her in but it could be a positive.Agreed the mayor has to go as if he has any competency it should not show up in the last 2 months.Left in the pot is Gary a definie loser --has to go,Tim also has to go as without Gary there is no intelligence upstairs.Hey you all forgot about Victor yes Victor the one Gail said publicly was fired and has since been on the payroll.He should also be history.Next year goodbye to Gail[A chronic lier].If you want to keep Bob we will have to buy him daily all for himself a 10 cup box of joe from Dunkin donuts + an alarm clock that is as loud as the firehouse siren to go of at the start of all the meetings.Can not forget about the village attorney also.His service to the community[trustees] is an insult to the homeowners.
Derailed

East Northport, NY

#85 Jan 9, 2013
mostly on track wrote:
Dump them--You basically right on track with my thinking and into the next election.The only negative would be to put Maura into the pot.I like her and think she is a great person but she is the the type of investor that we want out of here.Gail went sour.Bob a great guy is going with the flow an thats a negative.Carol I like is a thorn in there side that will not go away.Her I am on the fence with so far as keeping her.Not sure how she will mix if kept her in but it could be a positive.Agreed the mayor has to go as if he has any competency it should not show up in the last 2 months.Left in the pot is Gary a definie loser --has to go,Tim also has to go as without Gary there is no intelligence upstairs.Hey you all forgot about Victor yes Victor the one Gail said publicly was fired and has since been on the payroll.He should also be history.Next year goodbye to Gail[A chronic lier].If you want to keep Bob we will have to buy him daily all for himself a 10 cup box of joe from Dunkin donuts + an alarm clock that is as loud as the firehouse siren to go of at the start of all the meetings.Can not forget about the village attorney also.His service to the community[trustees] is an insult to the homeowners.
you think replacing everybody in th village is smart? Havnt herd whose running yet, but herd rumor a daycare owner is getting signatures. I would take maura over carol, at least she paid her taxes.
not a koolaid drinker

Dobbs Ferry, NY

#86 Jan 9, 2013
mostly on track wrote:
Dump them--You basically right on track with my thinking and into the next election.The only negative would be to put Maura into the pot.I like her and think she is a great person but she is the the type of investor that we want out of here.Gail went sour.Bob a great guy is going with the flow an thats a negative.Carol I like is a thorn in there side that will not go away.Her I am on the fence with so far as keeping her.Not sure how she will mix if kept her in but it could be a positive.Agreed the mayor has to go as if he has any competency it should not show up in the last 2 months.Left in the pot is Gary a definie loser --has to go,Tim also has to go as without Gary there is no intelligence upstairs.Hey you all forgot about Victor yes Victor the one Gail said publicly was fired and has since been on the payroll.He should also be history.Next year goodbye to Gail[A chronic lier].If you want to keep Bob we will have to buy him daily all for himself a 10 cup box of joe from Dunkin donuts + an alarm clock that is as loud as the firehouse siren to go of at the start of all the meetings.Can not forget about the village attorney also.His service to the community[trustees] is an insult to the homeowners.
i don't even understand the way they conduct public meetings. at a public hearing we are supposed to hear from the public. but every time the public tried to speak, the lawyer or someone on the board interrupts. this is rude and not right. the public should be able to speak for the entire three minutes and then the board/lawyer gets to comment. they are intimidating the public. that is why nobody is interested in going to public hearings. what kind of lawyer wears white socks with his suit? he doesn't seem to know the law for villages either.(either that, or he is deliberately misleading the public. the lawyer stated that there are no parklands in suffolk county that are recognized by zoning laws. this is simply not true. if you don't know what you are talking about, you should be quiet. the whole board has to go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sayville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Retired Teacher From Holbrook Arrested For Chil... (Jan '13) 1 hr Happy not 3
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 17 hr cheer the f up 121,918
What is the story behind the real suicides of H... (Jun '07) Tue Steve o 33
News Horse hit by car in Central Islip is euthanized (Apr '09) May 25 jimi-yank 4
News Angie Carpenter, Islip supervisor, optimistic a... May 21 not optimistic 11
Where is everyone going on Fire Island this Mem... May 20 FIbeach15 1
News New York's Fire Island: hope after Sandy May 20 FIbeach15 1
More from around the web

Sayville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]