Washovers, flooding seen in Fire Island communities again

Dec 27, 2012 Full story: Newsday 93

The latest nor'easter to hit Long Island brought many washovers and several feet of flooding to areas of Fire Island, officials from two communities there said Thursday.

Full Story
GoodNews

Mastic Beach, NY

#42 Jan 2, 2013
Trying to focus on a threat to all of us I guess is too much to ask.
Maybe it's better for all to let the Atlantic take what it will.
The TOB was in charge. Until they got tried and convicted, and many went to prison.In those cases they relied on something you're not familiar with. Probable cause and evidence.If you have it, by all means start your own thread and let's see what you got.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#43 Jan 2, 2013
GoodNews wrote:
Trying to focus on a threat to all of us I guess is too much to ask.
Maybe it's better for all to let the Atlantic take what it will.
The TOB was in charge. Until they got tried and convicted, and many went to prison.In those cases they relied on something you're not familiar with. Probable cause and evidence.If you have it, by all means start your own thread and let's see what you got.
You know absolutly zero how it works. Try to think before you post. When people started to see issue rising and much more suttle than what goes on at the village . I have had about 50 post go look it up and then as the DA took about 2 years to build a winable case. Employees were contacted at locations outside the town hall and were afforded a chance not to also be arrested some rolled even though they were guilty Freddie boy and some that could move paperwork through walked free. Even outside the TOB were instramental in the convictions. There was pc at the MBV because thier acts are out in the open. I dont need to get anything you half wit. I post it you read it . At least the people see what is going on and what is considered a violation of law. You can sit with the trustees and figure out how to silence those here discussing the lack of disclosure and corruption . They have a few defenders that try as they can are weak lack the knowledge except to spell check others . There is no smokin gun and suggest you learn how this works . Even your theroy of pc and evidence is not even making any sence on any level as it relates to this. I even said get the village attorney on as I would take him to school also. Maybe now we all dont seem so crazy when we posted a 250k budget wont work -

Since: Dec 07

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#44 Jan 2, 2013
After watching Cristies press conferance today (none from Cuomo) it seems help fom the higher ups is not coming.Ihe situation begs for a solution locally generated, While in my heart I'd stand next to goodnews to repair the beach so as to repair/ protect my community,sadly I also feel as stated above we'd end up in cuffs.Some simple measures like stacking old Cristmas trees at the dune line so as to trap migrating, wind driven sand to build the dunes helps,but FINS has issues with trees that have remnant tinsel,so they reject all "used" trees as opposed to unsold trees from retailers which greatly reduces the amout of cover available.(just an example) The rubber has met the road,it is time to truly think and act locally
mike

New York, NY

#45 Jan 3, 2013
GoodNews wrote:
Probable cause? Evidence? BBB you say lots of things. Unless you contribute a way to rebuild the dunes on Fire Island, why don't you shut the hell up and stay off this particular thread.Go play outhouse DA someplace else.
pleas stay focused people. this isn't a conspiracy theory forum. it's a forum about the breaches, washovers, ets. save your hate for some other forum, please. it gets really, really, really old hearing the same old dribble about how much things suck from you guys. if you spent as much energy on your neighborhood than you do on these blogs then we might actually get something constructive done.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#46 Jan 3, 2013
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
pleas stay focused people. this isn't a conspiracy theory forum. it's a forum about the breaches, washovers, ets. save your hate for some other forum, please. it gets really, really, really old hearing the same old dribble about how much things suck from you guys. if you spent as much energy on your neighborhood than you do on these blogs then we might actually get something constructive done.
I rather spend my time posting to people not getting the real story and wondering if we are crapped on. I only get people for the village trying to pretend this does not exist . Sure everyone in the village is wrong to question I simply relay the reason why they are currupt and let all decide. Those protecting interests and hidden agendas, now now so hidden. Now to satify you here is about bids .for future work to repair road and any other work- Now you know the limits and can not be bs'd by the village and that is why a investigation is needed

Bidding Thresholds. local governments and school districts
are required to advertise for competitive bids when procurements exceed
certain dollar thresholds. Purchase contracts involving expenditures
in excess of $10,000 ($20,000 effective June 22, 2010)4 and contracts
for public work involving expenditures in excess of $20,000 ($35,000
effective November 12, 2009) are subject to competitive bidding under
the law.5 Contracts are awarded to the “lowest responsible bidder” after
public advertisement for sealed bids.
GoodNews

Mastic Beach, NY

#47 Jan 4, 2013
I'm for constructing a seawall.We don't have a choice.Now is the time to get federal dollars to fund it.
Long Island Advance:
"Mastic Beach officials this week
called for the construction of a sea wall
to guard the low-lying areas of Mastic
Beach against storm surges like those
seen during Superstorm Sandy and the
common place flooding that occurs regularly with every high tide cycle".

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#48 Jan 4, 2013
GoodNews wrote:
I'm for constructing a seawall.We don't have a choice.Now is the time to get federal dollars to fund it.
Long Island Advance:
"Mastic Beach officials this week
called for the construction of a sea wall
to guard the low-lying areas of Mastic
Beach against storm surges like those
seen during Superstorm Sandy and the
common place flooding that occurs regularly with every high tide cycle".
See thats where tob has the resorces to have all the engineering and ability to allocate funds . This absolutly will never happen so get it out of your heads. Any town that had a storm surge would ask and the enviromental impact reports and application process and hearing needed would never happen. This is what happens when you live by the water and when you seperate yourself from the people with the ability to get things done . We chose Gary and the docks over needed help and support services ,street maintence and lighting from tob . Hows that working out so far knee deep in water and bullshit
GoodNews

Mastic Beach, NY

#49 Jan 4, 2013
TOB? This will be federal money my friend. I do believe you are an expert in being knee deep in it.

Since: Dec 07

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#51 Jan 4, 2013
A seawall is a horrible idea. Sewers and stilts, let nature take its course.... IMHO.It Would be way less expensive too and solve multiple problems.
GoodNews

Mastic Beach, NY

#52 Jan 4, 2013
We can let nature take its course. But now I'm afraid everything south of neighborhood road will be at high risk. If it's like this now, where will we be in 5 years time?
Now is the time to act to protect what we have left.
Or maybe let nature take its course, if that's what folks decide we should do. But the time to decide is now.
Brady

Mastic Beach, NY

#53 Jan 4, 2013
Deputy Mayor McCheese wrote:
<quoted text>Is that you richard brady?
Nope....but I am reading and laughing my fat ass off!!

Since: Dec 07

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#54 Jan 4, 2013
GoodNews wrote:
We can let nature take its course. But now I'm afraid everything south of neighborhood road will be at high risk. If it's like this now, where will we be in 5 years time?
Now is the time to act to protect what we have left.
Or maybe let nature take its course, if that's what folks decide we should do. But the time to decide is now.
We are at risk now, we always have been. In five years time we could have 10- 15 % on stilts,while solving the problems with the barrier beach concurrently. You may say that "we could flood in that time", you have to realize we could have flooded at any time,it just did'nt happen recently, till now.

Since: Dec 07

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#55 Jan 4, 2013
GoodNews wrote:
We can let nature take its course. But now I'm afraid everything south of neighborhood road will be at high risk. If it's like this now, where will we be in 5 years time?
Now is the time to act to protect what we have left.
Or maybe let nature take its course, if that's what folks decide we should do. But the time to decide is now.
And just to clarify,when I said let nature take its course,I meant that once you have built properly, nature can do what she does,and you'll be OK. It would likly take at least five years to build something to hold back the sea anyway.This community has evolved hand in hand with the nature around us,it would be sad to see that dynamic change
GoodNews

Mastic Beach, NY

#56 Jan 4, 2013
whoopsing wrote:
<quoted text>We are at risk now, we always have been. In five years time we could have 10- 15 % on stilts,while solving the problems with the barrier beach concurrently. You may say that "we could flood in that time", you have to realize we could have flooded at any time,it just did'nt happen recently, till now.
I'm seeing higher tides without storms. Then I'm seeing more "storm of the century" events several times over the past two years.I would agree if things stayed the same. But you must admit, these storms and tides are getting bigger, stronger, and more frequent.Parts of what used to be Fire Island are now gone.
Do we want to live in houses perched up on stilts where the surrounding quarter mile of land is four feet deep with bay water?

Since: Dec 07

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#57 Jan 4, 2013
So how would this seawall scheme work anyway? Is this a shore hardening type thing where you build a bulkhead at the shore, or a wall out in the water? would it be in the middle of the bay or in the ocean? What happens during heavy rain events and this wall prevents the land from draining?
Lets get it Done

Mastic Beach, NY

#59 Jan 4, 2013
whoopsing wrote:
<quoted text>Good luck with that! If you drove around Most of the village, you would'nt even know we had sandy here except for the broken tree stumps. We've had two storms since then that have serverly flooded the lowest lying areas over a period of two months,causing continual damage, bringing in more debris and hampering clean up. Some areas have stayed flooded that normally do not . The vast majority drain pretty well considering the changes to the barrier island. The village did a commendable job cleaning up, and the community came together to help the hardest hit. There are still lots of individuals who have big problems to solve and they are. And then there are the ones that want to blame their problems on someone else. The Village has'nt stopped cleaning up, but the window to throw out storm debris from your own property has closed and it will be up to people to remove the debris themselves.Thats what I am seeing.
There have been 3 storm floods,since Sandy. There is debris is in the streets from those storms and that is the village responsibility to clean up,Not just Sandy's mess. The clean up is not a gift from the village. We pay taxes to do this.
Petition

Shirley, NY

#60 Jan 5, 2013
whoopsing wrote:
So how would this seawall scheme work anyway? Is this a shore hardening type thing where you build a bulkhead at the shore, or a wall out in the water? would it be in the middle of the bay or in the ocean? What happens during heavy rain events and this wall prevents the land from draining?
Who do you think is going to spend the tens of millions of dollars it will cost to build this "seawall" to protect the poor, crappy cottages along the Mastic Beach shoreline? Pay attention fools the government is now all about having protective wetlands around the waterfront. They are going away from developing on the wetlands and waterfronts. They would rather spend the money to buy up the little cottages and demolish them then pay to build a "seawall".

Since: Dec 07

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#61 Jan 5, 2013
Petition wrote:
<quoted text>
Who do you think is going to spend the tens of millions of dollars it will cost to build this "seawall" to protect the poor, crappy cottages along the Mastic Beach shoreline? Pay attention fools the government is now all about having protective wetlands around the waterfront. They are going away from developing on the wetlands and waterfronts. They would rather spend the money to buy up the little cottages and demolish them then pay to build a "seawall".
Did ya see the part where I said its a horrible idea?
GoodNews

Mastic Beach, NY

#62 Jan 5, 2013
The first "seawall" that has to be built will be the dune restoration on Fire Island. Without restoring Fire Island as a barrier beach, we can stop the conversation.

Since: Mar 12

Mastic Beach

#65 Jan 5, 2013
Petition wrote:
<quoted text>Who do you think is going to spend the tens of millions of dollars it will cost to build this "seawall" to protect the poor, crappy cottages along the Mastic Beach shoreline? Pay attention fools the government is now all about having protective wetlands around the waterfront. They are going away from developing on the wetlands and waterfronts. They would rather spend the money to buy up the little cottages and demolish them then pay to build a "seawall".
Crappy cottages??? Try driving through Mastic Beach in his century....MOST of them have been converted into nice homes by hardworking people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sayville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Need a Commercial electrical contractor in Levi... (Feb '13) 15 hr calebhart54 2
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 18 hr Chuck 121,337
J&B Discount Tire Fraud (Jan '09) Mon joemamma77777777777 41
Review: Fairharbor Owners Mar 1 moving soon 2
Angie Carpenter to take $77,000 pension on top ... Mar 1 Southold Resident 11
DEC Approves Cleanup Plan for Roberto Clemente ... Mar 1 Independent Voter 13
Pete Muirhead Mar 1 Jayar 1

Winter Storm Warning for Suffolk County was issued at March 04 at 4:23AM EST

Sayville News Video

Sayville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Sayville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:23 pm PST

Bleacher Report 8:23PM
How Should Giants Fill Their Biggest Holes?
NFL 4:44 AM
Report: Johnson urging GM to bring Revis back to Jets
Bleacher Report 6:56 AM
Maxwell, McCourty Headline Jets' Free-Agent Big Board
Yahoo! Sports 1:14 PM
Weatherford, Rice to donate brains for medical research
Bleacher Report 1:21 PM
Jets, Raiders and Patriots Among Top Landing Spots for Free Agent Darrelle Revis