Washovers, flooding seen in Fire Island communities again

Dec 27, 2012 Full story: Newsday 93

The latest nor'easter to hit Long Island brought many washovers and several feet of flooding to areas of Fire Island, officials from two communities there said Thursday.

Full Story
yupp

Mastic Beach, NY

#22 Jan 1, 2013
whoopsing wrote:
<quoted text>Good luck with that! If you drove around Most of the village, you would'nt even know we had sandy here except for the broken tree stumps. We've had two storms since then that have serverly flooded the lowest lying areas over a period of two months,causing continual damage, bringing in more debris and hampering clean up. Some areas have stayed flooded that normally do not . The vast majority drain pretty well considering the changes to the barrier island. The village did a commendable job cleaning up, and the community came together to help the hardest hit. There are still lots of individuals who have big problems to solve and they are. And then there are the ones that want to blame their problems on someone else. The Village has'nt stopped cleaning up, but the window to throw out storm debris from your own property has closed and it will be up to people to remove the debris themselves.Thats what I am seeing.
DELUSIONAL!!!!
TOB would still be picking up all the STORM debris, but not our village. The other way you can tell that Sandy hit is by the GIGANTIC PILES OF SHIT EVERYWHERE that the village refuses to remove. So yeah, good luck tax payer, Gary as head of the Dept of highway has spoken... and he has told us to "go F ourselves". Nice village!

Since: Dec 07

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#23 Jan 1, 2013
Bently Benard Baxter wrote:
<quoted text>This has to be a employee of the village as they write I know even they dont believe it . How sad that time is wasted on a group of people entrusted with the future . Home values are down the builders stay away because of the massive cost in permits the licenses which are on top od a suffolk and such restrictions but call it a emercency and that mean with out disclosure ,proper bonding and insurance they give out no bid contracts. You got to be kidding coming on here and acting as if someone did any good - The can did not get kicked down the road now the village ressidents are now pushing back and about timefor what was a pissing match born out of revenge robbed the people of years going backwards . They should all be ashamed of themselves for thier acts - From the dump Gary marina all those years and the place is a shit hole and so unsuccessful as a business man trying to use this to make a payday screw them all. Karma's a bitch and maybe the payback is that at the end they will remain loser's also with the toothless wonders that also wanted a free rides instead of being a sound businessmen. They have not accomplished nothing all those years why would anyone vote these flunkies in? Get real and post something that resembles the truth
WOW !
another forum degenerates

New York, NY

#24 Jan 1, 2013
whoopsing wrote:
<quoted text>Good luck with that! If you drove around Most of the village, you would'nt even know we had sandy here except for the broken tree stumps. We've had two storms since then that have serverly flooded the lowest lying areas over a period of two months,causing continual damage, bringing in more debris and hampering clean up. Some areas have stayed flooded that normally do not . The vast majority drain pretty well considering the changes to the barrier island. The village did a commendable job cleaning up, and the community came together to help the hardest hit. There are still lots of individuals who have big problems to solve and they are. And then there are the ones that want to blame their problems on someone else. The Village has'nt stopped cleaning up, but the window to throw out storm debris from your own property has closed and it will be up to people to remove the debris themselves.Thats what I am seeing.
Thanks for that. It was really informative. I wonder if sealing the breach west of the bridge might help things, or is it soooo much "bigger" than that now? I can't imagine that the ocean is meeting the bay on a regular basis in areas where the dunes were wiped out, right?(across from Mastic). But, I can imagine that the constant, unobstructed flow of huge amounts of water (from the breach) are probably behind a large percentage of the tidal problem. I hear its good for the bay in that it's basically cleaning out and purging a lot of essentially stagnant water from the area, but at what cost? What do you think?

Since: Mar 12

Mastic Beach

#25 Jan 1, 2013
another forum degenerates wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for that. It was really informative. I wonder if sealing the breach west of the bridge might help things, or is it soooo much "bigger" than that now? I can't imagine that the ocean is meeting the bay on a regular basis in areas where the dunes were wiped out, right?(across from Mastic). But, I can imagine that the constant, unobstructed flow of huge amounts of water (from the breach) are probably behind a large percentage of the tidal problem. I hear its good for the bay in that it's basically cleaning out and purging a lot of essentially stagnant water from the area, but at what cost? What do you think?
Actually....it's several breeches, they happen to be EAST of the bridge & another @ the Moriches Inlet. Plus they are across from MASTIC BEACH, not MASTIC. if you need clarification....there's two really clear pictures on Dan Panico for Town Council's FB page....one taken from the air on, Friday 12/21/12 showing the water washing OVER Smith's Point & the other taken from I believe Riviera & Cranberry w his cell phone where you can see the breaking waves from Mastic Beach....this one taken Monday 12/24/12. Good thing Dan is actually IN our neighborhood working FOR US....even though he has no obligation to w our circus of a useless government.
mike

New York, NY

#26 Jan 1, 2013
MB Lifer - Anti_Village wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually....it's several breeches, they happen to be EAST of the bridge & another @ the Moriches Inlet. Plus they are across from MASTIC BEACH, not MASTIC. if you need clarification....there's two really clear pictures on Dan Panico for Town Council's FB page....one taken from the air on, Friday 12/21/12 showing the water washing OVER Smith's Point & the other taken from I believe Riviera & Cranberry w his cell phone where you can see the breaking waves from Mastic Beach....this one taken Monday 12/24/12. Good thing Dan is actually IN our neighborhood working FOR US....even though he has no obligation to w our circus of a useless government.
those pics on the FB page say a lot. I hope they move forward with a plan - quickly. thanks.

Since: Mar 12

Mastic Beach

#27 Jan 1, 2013
mike wrote:
<quoted text>those pics on the FB page say a lot. I hope they move forward with a plan - quickly. thanks.
Both pics are heartbreaking....the ocean should not be visible when standing on the mainland in Mastic Beach :-(

Since: Mar 12

Mastic Beach

#28 Jan 1, 2013
I'm sorry, my dates are off. The ariel photo was taken Friday, 12/21/12 & the cell phone shot was taken Thursday morning, 12/27/12.

Since: Dec 07

Mastic Beach N.Y.

#29 Jan 2, 2013
MB Lifer - Anti_Village wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually....it's several breeches, they happen to be EAST of the bridge & another @ the Moriches Inlet. Plus they are across from MASTIC BEACH, not MASTIC. if you need clarification....there's two really clear pictures on Dan Panico for Town Council's FB page....one taken from the air on, Friday 12/21/12 showing the water washing OVER Smith's Point & the other taken from I believe Riviera & Cranberry w his cell phone where you can see the breaking waves from Mastic Beach....this one taken Monday 12/24/12. Good thing Dan is actually IN our neighborhood working FOR US....even though he has no obligation to w our circus of a useless government.
There is a huge continuosly flowing breach about one mile west of the bridge in addition to the washovers both east and west of the bridge that flow during storm/high tide
GoodNews

Mastic Beach, NY

#30 Jan 2, 2013
Congress left DC without taking a vote on the 60 billion Sandy Aid Bill. To hell with those traitors! We will rebuild without them!
Whoop is correct in pointing out the difference in a "washover", and a "breach".
The breach flows back and fourth. It "drains". The washover only floods one way, creating a "surge" that does not drain.
I would like to hold a symbolic protest next week.
Lets all go over to the washover across from Mastic Beach. Eveybody bring a shovel. Call News12. We will start building our own dune line. Shovel by shovel if we have to.
Because the traitors in Congress won't lift a damn finger to help us.
find out first

Mastic Beach, NY

#31 Jan 2, 2013
GoodNews wrote:
Congress left DC without taking a vote on the 60 billion Sandy Aid Bill. To hell with those traitors! We will rebuild without them!
Whoop is correct in pointing out the difference in a "washover", and a "breach".
The breach flows back and fourth. It "drains". The washover only floods one way, creating a "surge" that does not drain.
I would like to hold a symbolic protest next week.
Lets all go over to the washover across from Mastic Beach. Eveybody bring a shovel. Call News12. We will start building our own dune line. Shovel by shovel if we have to.
Because the traitors in Congress won't lift a damn finger to help us.
I may be wrong, but if you do that, you may be arrested.
GoodNews

Mastic Beach, NY

#32 Jan 2, 2013
No. We'll get a permit from Park Police. And a dune building permit as well.
Alternative

Shirley, NY

#33 Jan 2, 2013
whoopsing wrote:
<quoted text>Good luck with that! If you drove around Most of the village, you would'nt even know we had sandy here except for the broken tree stumps. We've had two storms since then that have serverly flooded the lowest lying areas over a period of two months,causing continual damage, bringing in more debris and hampering clean up. Some areas have stayed flooded that normally do not . The vast majority drain pretty well considering the changes to the barrier island. The village did a commendable job cleaning up, and the community came together to help the hardest hit. There are still lots of individuals who have big problems to solve and they are. And then there are the ones that want to blame their problems on someone else. The Village has'nt stopped cleaning up, but the window to throw out storm debris from your own property has closed and it will be up to people to remove the debris themselves.Thats what I am seeing.
Wow you must be blind or do not get out much. There is still crap on my block left over from Irene. The amount of crap on the streets around my block is still there and blocking the road so that only one car at a time can get by. You must live north of Neighborhood. Also do you think that MBV DPW could ever ever clean up the leaves and litter that is all along the curbs on Neighborhood Rd. Maybe they could straighten the garbage cans and planters on the sidewalks so they don't look like they were thrown there in a messy way. Looks like crap when you drive through town. When will they pick up the litter on the sides of the roads. I drive through Moriches, Brookhaven and other Hamlets and it is far cleaner than it is down in here in Mastic Beach Village. BTW My storm drain is still clogged and flooding my street.
ha ha ha

Shirley, NY

#34 Jan 2, 2013
Alternative wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow you must be blind or do not get out much. There is still crap on my block left over from Irene. The amount of crap on the streets around my block is still there and blocking the road so that only one car at a time can get by. You must live north of Neighborhood. Also do you think that MBV DPW could ever ever clean up the leaves and litter that is all along the curbs on Neighborhood Rd. Maybe they could straighten the garbage cans and planters on the sidewalks so they don't look like they were thrown there in a messy way. Looks like crap when you drive through town. When will they pick up the litter on the sides of the roads. I drive through Moriches, Brookhaven and other Hamlets and it is far cleaner than it is down in here in Mastic Beach Village. BTW My storm drain is still clogged and flooding my street.
they haven't cleaned any storm drains since we have become a village. and they don't clean the leaves on curbs and in the streets because they have made it a village code that the Owners are responsible for the streets for the first 5 feet. that means that they are not responsible for the majority of the road surface; only the middle. we have had street sweepers once since we became a village, and the town of brookhaven were the one's who did it.

on aspen drive (near park drive) there are still debris from fallen trees from IRENE. neighborhood road is horrible at night and for the first time ever, i am afraid to go to handy pantry after dark. i now go to the handy pantry in mastic instead. i am upset with the numbers of disgusting rental homes that are not being fined at all; while homeowners are being issued stop work orders while they try to clean up sandy's mess.

something is wrong with this picture. we need to vote everyone out of office and start over or dissolve. our open and transparent government run by our neighbors has become closed and opaque and run by greedy, unqualified, power hungry jerks.
agreed

Shirley, NY

#35 Jan 2, 2013
From the above post --I am in total agreement.The best thing is I think they all know it is over for them as It is finally sinking in.If Biondi did not let Gary do what he wanted and kept all in line to the owners wishes there may have been a chance for his re-election.This bunch including the 2 next year being replaced will go down as the worst elected officials in the history of newly formed villages.Less than 3 months to go --Hurrah.I still want a investigation into there past performances and what and how and to who the tax money was spent.I think it is called an audit.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#36 Jan 2, 2013
agreed wrote:
From the above post --I am in total agreement.The best thing is I think they all know it is over for them as It is finally sinking in.If Biondi did not let Gary do what he wanted and kept all in line to the owners wishes there may have been a chance for his re-election.This bunch including the 2 next year being replaced will go down as the worst elected officials in the history of newly formed villages.Less than 3 months to go --Hurrah.I still want a investigation into there past performances and what and how and to who the tax money was spent.I think it is called an audit.
That will never be done , They may fluff a internal audit once they see how to bury some expences by loading a line . Still asking about disbursements for miles traveled year one. Also billing by unicon if straight or flag to figure out how bad we are getting ripped. Any storage going to the village or are they keeping it . How many eyes at the village see any invoices and whom is it that signs off for payment? District attorney figured out where it is coming from and where. Even under instruction the clerk is also accountable for any fraudulant acts also so they will rattle that office first - At least looking at the way Draggone went down seems to be a easy catch. Now before all start jumpin in they will not telegraph thier actions and those interviewed away from the job will not talk. Passwords will be given and the goverment curruption task force will be surfing and we all know you got to be down by the water for that-
No Worries

Mastic Beach, NY

#37 Jan 2, 2013
Bently Benard Baxter wrote:
<quoted text>That will never be done , They may fluff a internal audit once they see how to bury some expences by loading a line . Still asking about disbursements for miles traveled year one. Also billing by unicon if straight or flag to figure out how bad we are getting ripped. Any storage going to the village or are they keeping it . How many eyes at the village see any invoices and whom is it that signs off for payment? District attorney figured out where it is coming from and where. Even under instruction the clerk is also accountable for any fraudulant acts also so they will rattle that office first - At least looking at the way Draggone went down seems to be a easy catch. Now before all start jumpin in they will not telegraph thier actions and those interviewed away from the job will not talk. Passwords will be given and the goverment curruption task force will be surfing and we all know you got to be down by the water for that-
From the sound of your rants, it would seem the DA is very busy in MBV. At least they will not have far to go to hit water.
agreed

Shirley, NY

#38 Jan 2, 2013
Bently--You keep saying the district attorney knows what is going on so why haven't they done anything as of yet.You been talking about it for some few months now.There file cabinets if it was true would of been banned and removed a long time ago and investigated/audited.Something is also wrong with that picture.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#39 Jan 2, 2013
Yeah the D.A . will announce ,now lets get past the year 1980 and those file cabinets are files in the clouds and you dont do stakeouts and break ins at midnight . These are electronically transfered and would think simply ask the first attorney if you think he will give a honest answer if he was approached. Paul and others . You will see those questioned either get the jitters and will seperate themelves from the target. I wont mix words what has gone here is a crime. I have stated what is some of the issues and some of the questions that will never be answered as if answered correctly will confirm these criminal acts carried out by personal and entrusted officials. People came in and out in this short time some with good intensions and others looking for personal gain. The day is coming because like thier greed crossed the legal line and as with no thought of oversight were not even smart enough to know when to tone it down. It is a insult that the people of MB should pay the price for that greed .
GoodNews

Mastic Beach, NY

#40 Jan 2, 2013
Probable cause? Evidence? BBB you say lots of things. Unless you contribute a way to rebuild the dunes on Fire Island, why don't you shut the hell up and stay off this particular thread.Go play outhouse DA someplace else.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#41 Jan 2, 2013
GoodNews wrote:
Probable cause? Evidence? BBB you say lots of things. Unless you contribute a way to rebuild the dunes on Fire Island, why don't you shut the hell up and stay off this particular thread.Go play outhouse DA someplace else.
Maybe in your little world u may call the shots but not here tough guy. I would post what I want where I want and if it bothers u too bad. If the TOB was in charge maybe there would be people in clarge to go to Suffolk and tap into funds allocated for this . Dont know but what confidence is there that this goverment can get the job done? THE BEST WAY TO FIX THE DUNES IS TO HAVE THE VILLAGE BS DUMPED THERE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sayville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) 16 hr Jimmy Rustle 676
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 16 hr Tim Osman 118,209
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) Sun truth 759
Memories Of Old Ronkonkoma (Jul '09) Sat Jayar 89
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Sep 19 liberalP 6,443
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Sep 19 Robert Burns 16,790
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) Sep 19 positronium 6,389
•••

Rip Current Statement for Suffolk County was issued at September 22 at 4:49AM EDT

•••

Sayville News Video

•••
•••

Sayville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Sayville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Sayville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Sayville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••