Sayre's Dark Secret
Hoochiemeister

United States

#41 Apr 3, 2009
I am mostly just a joke maker on this forum, but I am connected to the family that lost Jimmy Williams.

His father, Winston Williams, and the Williams family did everything they could to try and find Jimmy. The family had plenty of monetary resources and did everything they could to find Jimmy.

Jimmy disappeared without taking some money he had in the bank, a paycheck, and a new pair of cowboy boots he had just bought and was really proud of according to family and friends.

Winston, his dad, searched on foot up and down the North Fork of the Red, hired investigators, and nothing ever came up.

There may have been a girl who disappeared at the same time, but no one ever came forward to say who she might have been.
Hoochiemeister

United States

#42 Apr 3, 2009
I knew Winston Williams and his whole family from the time I was a little kid.

When Jimmy went missing a lot of people searched everything that anyone could think of searching trying to find him.

I went horseback (because I had a horse) up and down the river and all over the breaks. A lot of others searched the way I did and on foot. This went on for a long time. I suspect there are still folks looking for clues.

Jimmy's parents and grandparents have passed on. I hope they know what happened to him.

I hope he lies in peaceful repose.
Hoochiemeister

United States

#43 Apr 3, 2009
Bill Dean needs to shut up about this topic. Wherever he got his information, he is wrong.

Most folks who have known Bill for a long time know he is one tater short of an order of tots. Leave this alone, Bill. It isn't your business, and you don't know anything to add to the discussion.

Leave us alone.
Hoochiemeister

United States

#44 Apr 3, 2009
bill dean wrote:
<quoted text>i remember they vanished, last seen leaving the theatre. nothing was ever found of them. how would anyone know if they had any money or not. it is not hard to make a vehicle disappear. i understand the family did not approve of the girl and was trying to break them up. rick took it very hard, as did the family
Once again Bill Dean is full of shit. There was never any info about them leaving the theater. You understand the family didn't approve of the girl?

You idiot, the family didn't even know there was a girl. Jimmy left all of his money in the bank, his paycheck, and his brand new pair of cowboy boots that he was so proud of.

Bill, you are no smarter now than you were when all of the teachers and kids in high school knew that you were dumber than dirt.
Hoochiemeister

United States

#45 Apr 3, 2009
Well, Bill, the last words I wrote probably weren't necessary, but on the other hand, if you think about it, you always have been dumber than dirt. Everyone but you has always known that. Please stop meddling in normal peoples' lives.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#46 Apr 4, 2009
This has been my most interesting read on topix. Not intending to impose on the thread about the Williams disappearance. But since I wasn't around yet and have always been interested in Sayre's strange history...does anyone know about someone being killed when the old bridge collapsed? It might be "just a story", but I always wondered. I probably should have started a new thread about this.
Hoochiemeister

United States

#47 Apr 4, 2009
City Mouse wrote:
This has been my most interesting read on topix. Not intending to impose on the thread about the Williams disappearance. But since I wasn't around yet and have always been interested in Sayre's strange history...does anyone know about someone being killed when the old bridge collapsed? It might be "just a story", but I always wondered. I probably should have started a new thread about this.
I don't remember anyone getting killed when the old bridge got washed out, but there was a funny story afterward.

Dr. T.J. McGrath, M.D. decided he could jump his Pontiac,(the big one at that time) over the breach in the bridge. He tried. I will try to post more of my recollection of that later when I am less drunk than Doc was when he put the pedal to the metal.
apusgov

Leedey, OK

#48 Apr 4, 2009
Jimmy. the girl and her brother all disappeared on the same night. Jim's car was in front of the bowling alley that night, last sighting. Yes, he left without his paycheck and his boots. I'm a member of the family, and I can tell you it devastated Aunt Betty. Until she died, she baked Jim a birthday cake every year on his birthday in the hopes he might return. Rick and I have talked and have come to the same conclusion. Jim is still somewhere in Beckham County, but his grave will probably never be found. As for the boy and girl, they are probably all buried together.
bill dean

Oklahoma City, OK

#49 Apr 4, 2009
Hoochiemeister wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't remember anyone getting killed when the old bridge got washed out, but there was a funny story afterward.
Dr. T.J. McGrath, M.D. decided he could jump his Pontiac,(the big one at that time) over the breach in the bridge. He tried. I will try to post more of my recollection of that later when I am less drunk than Doc was when he put the pedal to the metal.
the last sentence on this one explains you
remembering

United States

#50 Apr 4, 2009
Does anyone remember the old pink house at 602 Bdwy? I do know that 2 young men got permission from the owners and dug underneath the house looking for their bodies. Of course, nothing was found. Just one of the rumors that went around at the time.
And to answer te question about the bridge, some tourists were washed off when the bridge washed out. Never heard about Dr. McGraph..he was bound to be drunk as a lord!

“Come on, I'm the THRILL.”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#51 Apr 4, 2009
Hoochiemeister wrote:
<quoted text>
A doctor did that?

How the hell did he get his degree?
No Name N ok

Elk City, OK

#52 Apr 4, 2009
City Mouse wrote:
yes my mom told me about this it was a mom,dad and 2 or 3 kids I have herd this several times throughtout my life (I'm 47 and grewup in Sayre) my whole family is from Sayre. but I dont remember this about Jimmy.I do know there used to be a sign at the north end of the new river bridge that said "no one exscapes the damnation of hell" not to many remember this.
Funny

United States

#53 Apr 4, 2009
Hoochiemeister wrote:
<quoted text>
That is so funny I havent heard that story since I was a little kid. My dad told me about it, I guess my grandfather whom owned the funeral home and ambulance service was good friends with Dr. McGrath. I have heard lots of silly and crazy stories about ole Doc McGrath.
Funny

United States

#54 Apr 4, 2009
Thrill wrote:
<quoted text>
A doctor did that?
How the hell did he get his degree?
Are you kidding?? Back then everyone drank, I guess it was a stress reliever?? My Grandad was also a very educated, well respected man but I do believe that he and Doc had more than one drink together. Those old farts just drank to much...
T J Delivered

United States

#55 Apr 4, 2009
Hoochiemeister wrote:
<quoted text>
Doctor McGrath was drunk the night he delivered me, he was drunk the night he delivered my wife, and he was drunk the night he delivered our first son. He was drunk the night he ran off the bridge, he didn't do it on purpose, he was so use to taking that route home when he left the castle bar he just forgot the bridge was washed out and gone. It almost killed him, probably would have killed him if he had been sober.
interested

Mcallen, TX

#56 Apr 4, 2009
Hoochiemeister wrote:
Bill Dean needs to shut up about this topic. Wherever he got his information, he is wrong.
Most folks who have known Bill for a long time know he is one tater short of an order of tots. Leave this alone, Bill. It isn't your business, and you don't know anything to add to the discussion.
Leave us alone.
Bill responded after being asked to, several times. You are way outa line, fella.
Hoochiemeister

United States

#57 Apr 4, 2009
Doctor McGrath was a good guy and a bad guy. He would make house calls all over the rural area. He didn't charge a lot. He was never married and had no children. He was just a 24/7 doc. Pretty much always drunk, but when I was a kid he would put his hands on you, tell you he was going to give you something to make you feel better and my memory is that I always did feel better.

He claimed that he never wanted to wake up in a place where he couldn't see the Sayre water tower.

If you were a kid he recognized and you got lucky enough to run on to him at night when he was in his cups, he would stuff your pockets full of dollar bills.

He really did try to jump the washed out bridge span and his car landed quite a ways out into the river bed. Everyone who lived in Sayre at the time saw it. This is no legend. It happened. The car he was in was the biggest Pontiac made at the time. I'm sure he bought it from Dolph Draper. There are probably records to show that. It sat out in the riverbed for a few days.

He walked away. There was a rain shower that night and his footprints got washed away. He hid out in his house, which was a small bungalow close to the river. The whole town, except for Ann Kiener, his office nurse, thought he was dead. A few days later, he appeared good as new and drunk as a skunk. The community couldn't afford to lose him, so he didn't get into any trouble for not turning himself in.

I don't think anyone died from that bridge washout. I think the people who died were on the river bridge north of Erick before you get to Sweetwater. That is my recollection. It could be wrong.

Doctor McGrath was a character and someone who also managed to do some good. I never heard anyone say he did a bad job as a doctor. Except perhaps Dr. Speed, but that is a whole different story.
Hoochiemeister

United States

#58 Apr 4, 2009
interested wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill responded after being asked to, several times. You are way outa line, fella.
Sometimes the Hoochiemeister jumps off the deep end of the pool. Try to remember he is only a jokester and actually just a joke himself.
fat bastard

Oklahoma City, OK

#59 Apr 4, 2009
I remember my old man telling me about Doc McGrath jumping his big pontiac off of the bridge, I guess it really happened.
Funny

United States

#60 Apr 4, 2009
Hoochiemeister wrote:
Doctor McGrath was a good guy and a bad guy. He would make house calls all over the rural area. He didn't charge a lot. He was never married and had no children. He was just a 24/7 doc. Pretty much always drunk, but when I was a kid he would put his hands on you, tell you he was going to give you something to make you feel better and my memory is that I always did feel better.
He claimed that he never wanted to wake up in a place where he couldn't see the Sayre water tower.
If you were a kid he recognized and you got lucky enough to run on to him at night when he was in his cups, he would stuff your pockets full of dollar bills.
He really did try to jump the washed out bridge span and his car landed quite a ways out into the river bed. Everyone who lived in Sayre at the time saw it. This is no legend. It happened. The car he was in was the biggest Pontiac made at the time. I'm sure he bought it from Dolph Draper. There are probably records to show that. It sat out in the riverbed for a few days.
He walked away. There was a rain shower that night and his footprints got washed away. He hid out in his house, which was a small bungalow close to the river. The whole town, except for Ann Kiener, his office nurse, thought he was dead. A few days later, he appeared good as new and drunk as a skunk. The community couldn't afford to lose him, so he didn't get into any trouble for not turning himself in.
I don't think anyone died from that bridge washout. I think the people who died were on the river bridge north of Erick before you get to Sweetwater. That is my recollection. It could be wrong.
Doctor McGrath was a character and someone who also managed to do some good. I never heard anyone say he did a bad job as a doctor. Except perhaps Dr. Speed, but that is a whole different story.
My family loved Doc Mcgrath, the stories that I heard ( he was already dead before I was born I believe )were told not out of meaness but old memories of life long friends, some good some not so great because the nature of what happens when you drink to much. Like him running off the washed out bridge. But the strange thing about the really bad things that happen when you drink to much and survive somehow become a story you tell and laugh about later (as twisted as it sounds) He was a good man he just drank to much like some of my own family members and many many others of good social standing way back when use to do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sayre Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Taylor mcalester 14 min Justiceawaits 4
Josh Sims (May '15) 3 hr Wife 14
Kelbies tit nipples 4 hr Duke Dukie 2
Missing Person in Sayre (Sep '15) Aug 28 Foxy10 10
Sayre Eagle Football Aug 28 Player 4
Houses robbed Aug 28 hmmmm 20
Sayre Memorial Hospital Aug 24 Healthcare Costs ... 5

Sayre Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance