Town, village appoint panel to oversee merger

The town of Rockingham and the village of Bellows Falls took its first steps Monday toward consolidating the two municipalities. Full Story
vtcycle

Hanover, NH

#1 Jun 16, 2009
Oh man not again! As a resident of Rockingham I have a bad feeling about what this would do to my taxes. I notice there was no mention of why this has been repeatedly rejected in the past.
If the savings is only $10,000.oo what are the benefits?
Logic suggests my taxes would go up substantially to pay for the BFPD.
No thanks.
oh-not- again

Buzzards Bay, MA

#2 Jun 16, 2009
The Two/three boards better bring in a professional facilitator or the VLCT. I smell personality wars all over again
flat lander

United States

#3 Jun 16, 2009
he comes the "ship of fools" and the harbor master is blind. all hands on deck the parrots running the show polly.
Numbers

Rochester, NH

#4 Jun 16, 2009
Someone ask President Obama to appoint a czar already!

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#5 Jun 16, 2009
vtcycle wrote:
Oh man not again! As a resident of Rockingham I have a bad feeling about what this would do to my taxes. I notice there was no mention of why this has been repeatedly rejected in the past.
No thanks.
Whats your bad feeling? Is it just that your taxes may go up? If they do at all it will be by maybe 1 or 2 percent. Is that what it is? Is that it?

It will not be the BFPD, it will be the RPD. Why is it that you guys get to leach off the VSP for free and we villagers don't? It won't be that way for long. The State will require the town as a whole to provide police services to the whole town.

Its best to get prepared now and get a town PD.
Joe Shlabotnik

White River Junction, VT

#6 Jun 16, 2009
Vermont citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Whats your bad feeling? Is it just that your taxes may go up? If they do at all it will be by maybe 1 or 2 percent. Is that what it is? Is that it?
It will not be the BFPD, it will be the RPD. Why is it that you guys get to leach off the VSP for free and we villagers don't? It won't be that way for long. The State will require the town as a whole to provide police services to the whole town.
Its best to get prepared now and get a town PD.
Maybe it's about having Village expenses shifted to Town taxpayers that's the rub. Nobody gets VSP for free so calling it "leaching" is not true. Townsfolk and villagers alike pay state taxes to support VSP. Villagers elected to have police and fire services and then WHINE about being the highest taxed entity in VT.Can't have it both ways!! If my septic system breaks down I have to replace it....the cost isn't spread amongst my neighbors. I moved to the town, not village. I knew going in I wouldn't have police and fire service or sewer and water for that matter like the "villagers' opted to have. Who would want to pay for a town police(or fire) that was merely a village service. Or one primarily concentrated in the village????? "That's what 'it' is"!!!!!
Evrita

South Burlington, VT

#7 Jun 16, 2009
vtcycle wrote:
No thanks.
We tried to vote down the FD and people thought we needed it so badly. Even people fro Saxtons river and Rockingham showed up to support them. One is on the BFFD and a rockingham tax payer. So why shouldn't your taxes go up more along with ours?

In the words of Walter Kesek as we were walking out of the meeting that night he as laughing saying wonderer how we liked that and I said it isnt funny he stated to me dont like it move to Rockingham!! So now what ?? I guess you should also take his other piece of advise he gave me that night looks like your going to have to work more hours to pay that tax bill now.
vtcycle

Hanover, NH

#8 Jun 16, 2009
Ok, seems I've upset some people in the village. Well I lived in the village of Bellows Falls for 16 years and moved to Rockingham because the town just could not seem to keep the taxes reasonable.
My taxes have gone up more than $1,000.oo since I bought this house, and I don't want to pay for an overstaffed Village Police Dept, nor Village upkeep, nor Village water/sewer upgrades, nor Village pool that do NOT benefit me.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#9 Jun 17, 2009
vtcycle wrote:
Ok, seems I've upset some people in the village. Well I lived in the village of Bellows Falls for 16 years and moved to Rockingham because the town just could not seem to keep the taxes reasonable.
My taxes have gone up more than $1,000.oo since I bought this house, and I don't want to pay for an overstaffed Village Police Dept, nor Village upkeep, nor Village water/sewer upgrades, nor Village pool that do NOT benefit me.
Keep in mind that as it is now, we are not only paying for our FD and PD, we are essentially paying for yours too. We pay for our road crew....and yours. We pay village taxes, and additionally pay the exact same rate as you do to the town. I would be just as happy if I didn't have to pay Rockingham taxes. But as it is now, I have to pay both. So how is that fair?
Joe Shlabotnik

White River Junction, VT

#10 Jun 17, 2009
Vermont citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep in mind that as it is now, we are not only paying for our FD and PD, we are essentially paying for yours too. We pay for our road crew....and yours. We pay village taxes, and additionally pay the exact same rate as you do to the town. I would be just as happy if I didn't have to pay Rockingham taxes. But as it is now, I have to pay both. So how is that fair?
It's "fair" because you opted in. If you don't want village services don't live there. If you do want them pay the proverbial freight charges that go with them. It's a simple formula and requires no obfuscation of the issue by claiming someone else is really "leaching" off the village when in fact they are not.
Evrita

South Burlington, VT

#11 Jun 17, 2009
I would like to know how it is legal to be taxed twice? Has anyone ever looked into this?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saxtons River Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UHSD 27 budget to go up less than 1 percent des... 5 hr Andrew Andrews 1
Athens voters reject first-ever Town Plan 5 hr Diogenes Smith 1
Kindle Farm teacher awarded $25,000 (Oct '08) Mar 1 Toni 18
Live Music at the Pizza Stone Jan '15 reverie22 1
Former BF man in hot water for prison letters Dec '14 MRC 2
Gas used in amateur neutron- producing fusors Nov '14 Avb 1
Difference the use of wiper systems in automobi... Nov '14 Perci 1

Saxtons River News Video

Saxtons River Dating
Find my Match