Former Saxtons River Sandri station f...

Former Saxtons River Sandri station finally gone

There are 30 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Jun 4, 2010, titled Former Saxtons River Sandri station finally gone. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

As crews remove the last few pieces of the former Sandri gas station in downtown Saxtons River, village officials are starting to contemplate how to rebuild the new site.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
crazy

Bellows Falls, VT

#21 Jun 4, 2010
so let me get this straight jack is jim and kathy is ben dover hmmmm interesting to say the least who is everyone else now?
Jim Mitchell

Peterborough, NH

#22 Jun 4, 2010
Do you know anyone that will hire a blind man who can barely see past a 6 foot computer screen and is an amputee and stroke victim?

If you bother to read the post per usual I didnít mention any names of the BCC to town hall but if one infers a certain person they assume that is 'THEIR" problem should it come to litigation.

Wait and see when that court case comes up and those email blogs come to light.

The last debacle at town hall that raised the roof certainly had its roots then as now with staying coarse and keeping a certain team only.

Oh and no I am not Jack but love his style.
Jim Mitchell

Peterborough, NH

#23 Jun 4, 2010
Hey SPUDS you brought back some memories about Saxtons River with the gas station and yes we both know who those boys were and a few other incidents.

Christians letter brought back some good memories of times long gone by to.
crazy

Bellows Falls, VT

#24 Jun 4, 2010
jacks kathy silly
TNB

Memphis, TN

#25 Jun 4, 2010
The best solution to the ongoing Rockingham,Saxtons River & Bellows Falls political theater which is ongoing for at least 30-40 years and seems to be getting worse and more laughable and pathetic each day is to vote to give up the Charters,become unincorporated and let the County run things.Oh wait, there is no County government in Vermont
crazy

Bellows Falls, VT

#26 Jun 4, 2010
best idea i have heard yet tnb, then we all can share costs and equipment instead of having 8 excavators and 60 fire trucks in a 30 mile radius
Spuds

Burlington, VT

#27 Jun 4, 2010
Why can't we just talk about the gas station? The damn animosity belongs on a different thread, if it has any purpose at all. I would like to hear more memories of the past. There might be something useful in that. I am getting tired of the same old character assassinations and sniping. There seems to be a great deal of uncivil discourse and it is very unproductive. On a side note it is interesting that TNB brings up County Gvt. I guess that is all but gone and taken away by the state and fed. What a shame. There is not much left of regional sovereignty and the freedom and diversity that comes with it. To me that is a shame! So what about the gas station. It was handy to get gas out in the sticks. Cambridgeport and Grafton had one too. Just about every wide spot in the road. There was even an old guy on the Chester-Springfield road, called "Bellybutton", a swarthy old guy who would get up in the middle of the night and pump gas near a turn-out. He had a one room shack with a pump out front. Just drive up and blow the horn. He might swear a bit if you woke him up for two dollars worth. Then there was the other old guy who had a store in Rockingham village. I can't remember his name, but he had a tracheotomy and talked with horn or diaphragm or something. It used to frighten me a bit as a child.
Spuds

Burlington, VT

#28 Jun 4, 2010
Jim Mitchell wrote:
Hey SPUDS you brought back some memories about Saxtons River with the gas station and yes we both know who those boys were and a few other incidents.
Christians letter brought back some good memories of times long gone by to.
I wish someone would write a 20th century history of Rockingham. Maybe there is one out there and I have forgotten about it. I am sure by now it needs to be updated or added to. The one I have goes into the early 1900s, a few years before my time. There is a lost history of a generation or two I am afraid we are fast becoming part of a lost generation. The early to mid 1900s was a great time for this town. It's too bad the children will never see it.
flashbacks

Ripton, VT

#29 Jun 4, 2010
Spuds wrote:
Why can't we just talk about the gas station? The damn animosity belongs on a different thread, if it has any purpose at all. I would like to hear more memories of the past. There might be something useful in that. I am getting tired of the same old character assassinations and sniping. There seems to be a great deal of uncivil discourse and it is very unproductive. On a side note it is interesting that TNB brings up County Gvt. I guess that is all but gone and taken away by the state and fed. What a shame. There is not much left of regional sovereignty and the freedom and diversity that comes with it. To me that is a shame! So what about the gas station. It was handy to get gas out in the sticks. Cambridgeport and Grafton had one too. Just about every wide spot in the road. There was even an old guy on the Chester-Springfield road, called "Bellybutton", a swarthy old guy who would get up in the middle of the night and pump gas near a turn-out. He had a one room shack with a pump out front. Just drive up and blow the horn. He might swear a bit if you woke him up for two dollars worth. Then there was the other old guy who had a store in Rockingham village. I can't remember his name, but he had a tracheotomy and talked with horn or diaphragm or something. It used to frighten me a bit as a child.
Spuds you got me thinking back to when I was younger and spending a great deal of time of with my grandparents in Saxtons River. Like Bellows Falls in the late 60's it was a thriving little village. I remember the gas station well, I also remember there were two grocery stores, and the hardware store where I used to go to get toys and the pickle barrel right near the entrance. I used to walk around with my grandparents and was awe struck at the beautiful flower gardens they had, also going to these Stanley Home parties at Mrs. Guyettes and watching the cows being milked at Dicky and Betty Barnes farm. Thanks For rekindling my childhood memories. What do you think they should put on this spot??
Spuds

Bangor, ME

#30 Jun 5, 2010
Some sort of business that produces something useful and employees a few people would be good. I remember the Barnes farm too. I always thought they had a nice barn, no pun intended. It looked to me like a nice operation. It's too bad there is no money in dairy farming. The cows sure did a nice job of keeping the hillside pastures clean. I have heard all the bull, again no pun intended, about runoff. I can remember the trout fishing, in the brooks and streams with neatly trimmed banks that were mowed by the cows, the fish loved it too. Need a worm? Just look under a slightly aged cow pie and there would usually be a nice big juicy one!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saxtons River Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Late night's Ferguson to be U.S. citizen; farm ... (Feb '08) Jan '18 Susan Blue Cat 14
News Sexual Abuse Lawsuit: Federal court dismisses c... (Apr '17) Jun '17 red blood relative 89
News Judge dismisses roofer case mid-trial (Oct '08) Dec '16 Long Island Liberal 10
Vermont State Police warn to stay out of Saxton... (Nov '16) Nov '16 openmind693 1
News Payments promised town residents if voters OK w... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Rex James 1
News Police Log (May '16) May '16 Cheddar Cheese 1
News Woman, girl hospitalized after being hit by car... (Nov '15) Nov '15 bill 1

Saxtons River Jobs

Personal Finance

Saxtons River Mortgages