Science test scores vary by school

Science test scores vary by school

There are 27 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Sep 24, 2009, titled Science test scores vary by school. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

Results from this year's standardized science test scores showed a wide discrepancy in how students were learning basic science skills in Windham County's public schools, according to data released this week by the Vermont Department of Education.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Neon Moose

Cambridge, VT

#21 Sep 25, 2009
i hate hippies wrote:
Neon Moose wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but you are wrong in your assumption of my intent. Some WSESU Teachers are in fact lowering students grades because they refuse to reject God. Certain teachers openly teach against God in the classroom. I am not talking about teachers ommitting God from the lesson plan, I am talking about teachers bringing up the subject of God and then targeting students who openly state that they believe in God. Everyone with students in the system knows that it is happening."
i graduated last year and i never saw any examples of this, targeting students for believing in god. Most teachers try to keep god out but saying they target religious students is ridiculous.
Did you graduate without taking science? As much as I would love to mention the teachers name to illistrate my accuracy, that would not be fair to an otherwise excellent teacher. Everyone has their shortcommings and I am usually very quick to forgive or disregad any offense. The onely reason I gave mention to BUHS is because another poster pushed the issue. Trust me I would be the last person to lead a lynch mob against a teacher. But what I have stated is the truth. I made a mistake in leading you to believe that the students themselves were targeted by this teacher, that is not the case, it is the beliefe in God/religion that is being targeted by this teacher.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#22 Sep 25, 2009
Neon Moose wrote:
Ben, did you know that books such as; Black Like Me, Native Son and To Kill a Mockingbird have been removed from reading lists because certain cultures and races find them offensive? Changes to the curriculum are made every day for the very same reasons that I stated. It is wise to reserve judment but I would like to clarify that while I have first hand knowledge of what I am speaking about, the incidents did not involve my children. My information was otherwise gained.
Of course, some schools find it less controversial to not include some literary works as required reading in their curriculum. My point is simply that teachers don't need to change their own curriculum every time somebody finds it personally offensive. I find this particular case absurd, especially since you attempted to cite it as an example of a school district mandating the non-existence of god.
Joe

Chester, VT

#23 Sep 25, 2009
Neon Moose wrote:
<quoted text> Don't forget the anti God theory lesson being taught as part of the Vemont State science currucilum.
maybe they spend a little time on that, but the rest of the nonsense is probably taking too much time away from learning what the kids should be learning.

I could just imagine them turning a lesson about eco-systems into a endless rant about polution and geology into an endless rant about fossil fuels spun into global warming.

They might not pass a science test, but could probably do great on polution, global warning and peak oil.

None of it matters anyways, they will be flipping burgers or shoveling cow turds in the NEW ECONOMY in vermont so who cares. Might as well build some more tourist attractions in Disney Vermont and put them to work at 14, turn the schools in motels for tourists.
Add vermont motels to vermont country stores and vermont booze stores.

come to vermont, stop at the country store and get some sex toys, stop and get some booze and go over to the motel and have some fun, don't have a girl, just cruise the streets and grab one. Don't worry about getting caught, it's just 30 days in jail if that.

Location hidden

#24 Sep 25, 2009
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe they spend a little time on that, but the rest of the nonsense is probably taking too much time away from learning what the kids should be learning.
I could just imagine them turning a lesson about eco-systems into a endless rant about polution and geology into an endless rant about fossil fuels spun into global warming.
They might not pass a science test, but could probably do great on polution, global warning and peak oil.
None of it matters anyways, they will be flipping burgers or shoveling cow turds in the NEW ECONOMY in vermont so who cares. Might as well build some more tourist attractions in Disney Vermont and put them to work at 14, turn the schools in motels for tourists.
Add vermont motels to vermont country stores and vermont booze stores.
come to vermont, stop at the country store and get some sex toys, stop and get some booze and go over to the motel and have some fun, don't have a girl, just cruise the streets and grab one. Don't worry about getting caught, it's just 30 days in jail if that.
I wonder if I'll be as crotchety and deluded as you when I get old as crap and retire.
Vermont Made

Cambridge, VT

#25 Sep 26, 2009
Ben Long wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, some schools find it less controversial to not include some literary works as required reading in their curriculum. My point is simply that teachers don't need to change their own curriculum every time somebody finds it personally offensive. I find this particular case absurd, especially since you attempted to cite it as an example of a school district mandating the non-existence of god.
Isn't this also known as, censorship, selective reasoning, or thought controll?
Joe

Chester, VT

#26 Sep 26, 2009
Ben Long wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if I'll be as crotchety and deluded as you when I get old as crap and retire.
you are already crotchety and deluded if you can't laugh about the stuff that goes on today

Location hidden

#27 Sep 28, 2009
Vermont Made wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't this also known as, censorship, selective reasoning, or thought controll?
Yep. I don't agree with it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saxtons River Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sexual Abuse Lawsuit: Federal court dismisses c... (Apr '17) Jun '17 red blood relative 89
News Judge dismisses roofer case mid-trial (Oct '08) Dec '16 Long Island Liberal 10
Vermont State Police warn to stay out of Saxton... (Nov '16) Nov '16 openmind693 1
News Payments promised town residents if voters OK w... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Rex James 1
News Police Log (May '16) May '16 Cheddar Cheese 1
News Woman, girl hospitalized after being hit by car... (Nov '15) Nov '15 bill 1
News Kindle Farm teacher awarded $25,000 (Oct '08) Mar '15 Toni 18

Saxtons River Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Saxtons River Mortgages