Cheapest Vet in jacksonville?

Posted in the Sawgrass Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jessy5717

Jacksonville, FL

#1 Sep 19, 2008
Im trying to find the cheapest vet here localy in Jacksonville(Duval County) I cant afford vet insurance, He's a rescue dog (who is a lab/chow mix, was born around Jan,15, 2008 so hes now about 9 months old) & of course is male. I have called the low cost jaxspay to neuter him(cant afford right now, theyre gonna charge me $65 plus all other fees they include after its over they seem never to tell u about in advance) but right now my biggest concern is he hasnt had his 4th puppy series shot (needed back in may) he hasnt had any advantage(flea med's, hes itching like crazy, even a little fur lose) and hasnt had his worm meds( i believe for heart worms) we fell on some financial hardships right now due to my mom getting really ill, we filed banckrptcy chap13 so we dont lose our home so the wages are deducted, husbands the only money coming in, i need to cae for my mom, drop off & pick our 2 kids from school so I cant afford to look for work right now, but i noticed no vets will work with me in any payment plans unless I get out some kinds of loans which I cant. so is there anyone out there that can shed some possitive light on me right now cocerning any really cheap vets I can take my dog to,? I would be very grateful..thanks again all!

“Translation: Come and Take it”

Since: Feb 08

Fort Pierce, FL

#2 Sep 19, 2008
The Hershel animal clinic Riverside. Well its closer to Ortega actually. People line up 30 -40 deep on Saturdays. Ive been told there shots are
REALLY cheap. The folks i know that go there say they're so cheap they don't mind waiting an hour or so. They're across from a lil Flower shop at the end of the St.John's ave. "S" curves.
Its on Herschell street. Topix wont let me post address and phone #, I just tried!
I hope that helps.
Good luck to you, you have a kind soul!

“Defender of Truth”

Since: Dec 07

Laguna Hills, CA

#3 Sep 19, 2008
I had a similar problem to you, except my chow/retreiver mix had a subdermal hematoma (sp?) on her ear. She needed surgery. I took her to a place off of Golfair (I believe they were called Brentwood Animal Hospital). They are a vet office, not just a hospital. They let me set up a payment plan with them. If I remember correctly, they split the costs into 4 payments. The staff there was great, too, and the doctor was very caring. I highly reccomend them.

“3 words changed my life ”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#4 Sep 19, 2008
Riverside Rob wrote:
The Hershel animal clinic Riverside. Well its closer to Ortega actually. People line up 30 -40 deep on Saturdays. Ive been told there shots are
REALLY cheap. The folks i know that go there say they're so cheap they don't mind waiting an hour or so. They're across from a lil Flower shop at the end of the St.John's ave. "S" curves.
Its on Herschell street. Topix wont let me post address and phone #, I just tried!
I hope that helps.
Good luck to you, you have a kind soul!
i was going to say hershell as well..haha..my brother LOVES them.

“Nuff Said!”

Since: May 08

Branford, Fl

#5 Sep 20, 2008
Check out Maverick Animal Hospital its off of Blanding behind Gordon Chevrolet in Orange Park I had a dog Neutered there a couple months back for $40.

AOL

#6 Sep 20, 2008
Herschel is a good one for low cost shots.
There's alos a new one I've been hearing on the radio. It's supposed to be on the corner of University and Atlantic. There's also St. Francis, which is off Dupont.
As a rescuer myself, and not saying this to you in particular, as I know you are trying to help this animal out of the goodness of your heart...But, This is the very reason why most rescuers charge a fee for people to get a pet. Even if the fee is $100, most of the time that includes the shots and spay/neuters. The theory is, that if you don't have the money now, you won't have it later, when the dog needs vet care.

Here's the website for St. Francis:
SaintFrancisanimalhospital.org

Also, check with Walgreen's for shots. There's a mobile unit that has been taking turns at various Walgreen's, for low cost shots. I think I read that they are $15.
Good luck!
jessy

Jacksonville, FL

#7 Sep 20, 2008
hey all, thanks sooo very much.. I havent been able to get on everyday so this is the 1st Ive checked to see if I had any responses, u guys are great, I really appreciate all of the info. I am going to look into every single one of these places. I will say that I actually called the St Frances animal hospital and they actually turned me down, they said they wont do payment plans but referred me to their other location in Orange Park, they too unfortunatly said they cant as well. But "ItsMeDj" I do understand what your saying and agree, my 1st rescue I actually called the city to get her(a cute beagl) & I called everyday for almost 2 weeks to get her back but when I did, they said it was goin to cost me almost $100, I asked y & they said they handle all the shots & neutering too. but unfortunatly they adopted her out without checking they I wanted her 1st(but luckily it brought me to my new lil man, "jackjack" we love him lots, & with him I didnt call the city i just took him in & now i see its expensive, which I can handle its just right now my mom very sick and with her i had to handle her dr bills 1st unfortunatly.. but its ok, it'll all work out..im gonna take all of ur info and run with it and im positive ima find something..thanks SOOO MUCH "Riverside rob",(u too have a very kind soul!) "Moose in jax",scott1,joe durt & itsmedj, all u guys r very sweet for replying & helpin me out, much love to u all..jessy!...:>)) bye 4 now!
spots

AOL

#8 Sep 20, 2008
Another inexpensive vet is Mt Pleasant, near the intersection of Mt Pleasant and Ft Caroline Rd, in east Arlington off Wonderwood.

I've used Herschel a couple times over the years and am totally underwhelmed by the quality of their staff and their care.

AOL

#9 Sep 20, 2008
spots wrote:
Another inexpensive vet is Mt Pleasant, near the intersection of Mt Pleasant and Ft Caroline Rd, in east Arlington off Wonderwood.
I've used Herschel a couple times over the years and am totally underwhelmed by the quality of their staff and their care.
I'll agree with this. I would go there for shots, but that's about it. They neutered a foster cat I had last year. He looked like my 12 year old did it. It was terrible, and never again. That's why I suggested St Francis to her for the neuter.

“Defender of Truth”

Since: Dec 07

Laguna Hills, CA

#10 Sep 22, 2008
jessy wrote:
hey all, thanks sooo very much.. I havent been able to get on everyday so this is the 1st Ive checked to see if I had any responses, u guys are great, I really appreciate all of the info. I am going to look into every single one of these places. I will say that I actually called the St Frances animal hospital and they actually turned me down, they said they wont do payment plans but referred me to their other location in Orange Park, they too unfortunatly said they cant as well. But "ItsMeDj" I do understand what your saying and agree, my 1st rescue I actually called the city to get her(a cute beagl) & I called everyday for almost 2 weeks to get her back but when I did, they said it was goin to cost me almost $100, I asked y & they said they handle all the shots & neutering too. but unfortunatly they adopted her out without checking they I wanted her 1st(but luckily it brought me to my new lil man, "jackjack" we love him lots, & with him I didnt call the city i just took him in & now i see its expensive, which I can handle its just right now my mom very sick and with her i had to handle her dr bills 1st unfortunatly.. but its ok, it'll all work out..im gonna take all of ur info and run with it and im positive ima find something..thanks SOOO MUCH "Riverside rob",(u too have a very kind soul!) "Moose in jax",scott1,joe durt & itsmedj, all u guys r very sweet for replying & helpin me out, much love to u all..jessy!...:>)) bye 4 now!
No problem. By the way, what kind of dog is JackJack? He isn't a Brindle Pit that lives on Tinkerbell Ln, is he?

Since: Nov 08

Jacksonville, FL

#11 Nov 20, 2008
I have an 8 month old Maltese that I am trying to find a good vet that is also inexpensive to take her to. She has starting making a "honking" noise and I think she may have allegeries. she chews on her feet after she comes inside from the bath room.

Any sugguestions?
Leigh

Jacksonville, FL

#12 Nov 21, 2008
jessy5717 wrote:
Im trying to find the cheapest vet here localy in Jacksonville(Duval County) I cant afford vet insurance, He's a rescue dog (who is a lab/chow mix, was born around Jan,15, 2008 so hes now about 9 months old) & of course is male. I have called the low cost jaxspay to neuter him(cant afford right now, theyre gonna charge me $65 plus all other fees they include after its over they seem never to tell u about in advance) but right now my biggest concern is he hasnt had his 4th puppy series shot (needed back in may) he hasnt had any advantage(flea med's, hes itching like crazy, even a little fur lose) and hasnt had his worm meds( i believe for heart worms) we fell on some financial hardships right now due to my mom getting really ill, we filed banckrptcy chap13 so we dont lose our home so the wages are deducted, husbands the only money coming in, i need to cae for my mom, drop off & pick our 2 kids from school so I cant afford to look for work right now, but i noticed no vets will work with me in any payment plans unless I get out some kinds of loans which I cant. so is there anyone out there that can shed some possitive light on me right now cocerning any really cheap vets I can take my dog to,? I would be very grateful..thanks again all!
The absolute best place to care for your animal is PetSmart. They have a plan to fit your needs. We have a Golden Retriever and we placed a down payment of $150.00 and monthly payments of $20.00 which has covered EVERYTHING (shots, spaying, check-ups). The only thing we have to pay out-of-pocket for is flea meds.($20.00). We use the one at River City Marketplace....Just TRY calling Hershel sometimes. You will never get through - that's why people have to line up. My daughter used them to spay her cat, and they only took out one overy. She still went into heat because of this. When my daughter called, they told her when she goes into heat to place her in a dark room for 10 days and that should do the trick (???????). Needless to say, she took her elsewhere. Hershel is a joke.
kayla

Jacksonville, FL

#13 Mar 15, 2010
iv been to hearshell with all my animals an my family in the past has also taken theres there as well, docture plant is a very good docture an is very well trained , disregared these comments being that if he was a bad vet then there would not be that long line on saterdays, an you would be able to get thru his phone line.
KKennedy

Ponte Vedra, FL

#15 Mar 15, 2010
The Hershel animal clinic Riverside by far. Dr. Plant is great!
Heather

Middleburg, FL

#16 Feb 20, 2011
Hershel is great for shots and stuff.. I take my two bullmastiff mixes there.. as far as surgeries though I would find someone else.. Not saying anything bad about the place... because I love it... Its just that they have so many pets that they care for they probably have a lot of surgeries a day where as a smaller clinic may have one or two surgeries and your pet will get more special care. But please dont get me wrong I love Hershel.. You cannot beat the prices for shots!
Uncle

United States

#17 Feb 23, 2011
I used to live in JAX,stay away from Dunn Animal Hospital they are grossly incompetent and killed my dog. The state of Florida does not act quickly enough with complaints against people like Dunn Animal Hospital. You've been WARNED!
2commonsense

Jacksonville, FL

#18 Mar 24, 2011
I would agree to stay away from Dunn Ave Animal Hospital. The address is 2348 Dunn Avenue, Jacksonville FL 32218. Their only concern is to make as much money from you as they can. Dr. David Qualls has a reputation for charging for everything while some of his staff is very rude. We been there twice b/c we live close by but after the second visit we moved on. I would never go back again. Ironically, my neighbor said the same thing. STAY AWAY FROM DUNN AVE ANIMAL HOSPITAL.
Jude in Jax

Jacksonville, FL

#19 Mar 24, 2011
They killed my sons dog gave him a euthenasea shot ment for another dog. His dog was there for a arthritis shot. Both owners had the same last name.Also a friends dog was there to get his ears pinned up and they gave him to much meds and he died in thier op room. Make your own opinion!
Jude in Jax

Jacksonville, FL

#20 Mar 24, 2011
Sorry I forgot to say that was Hershel Animal Clinic. Dr Plant needs to retire.
old jax

United States

#21 Mar 28, 2011
Jude in Jax wrote:
They killed my sons dog gave him a euthenasea shot ment for another dog. His dog was there for a arthritis shot. Both owners had the same last name.Also a friends dog was there to get his ears pinned up and they gave him to much meds and he died in thier op room. Make your own opinion!
Sorry to hear DR. Quack at Dunn Animal murdered your dog. Quack and his crew killed my cat 2 years ago. Dr. Quack and his wife are liars and criminals and should be shut down!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sawgrass Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News On Your Side - Ken Amaro Answers Your Mail (Mar '08) 18 hr Theladywhowilltel... 123
Puppy farm concerns (Feb '08) Wed Phoenix Rider 10
pitbull laws (Jun '08) Oct 17 scos0464 175
black men white women (Aug '11) Oct 16 Jimmy crack corn 44
News Police Bust suspected Brothel (Jul '08) Oct 16 Jimmy crack corn 40
God bless Timothy McVeigh, a true American hero (Aug '12) Oct 16 Glen 52
Richard Allen Oct 15 Worried 3

Sawgrass Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sawgrass Mortgages