Hazel McCain mystery
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
interested

United States

#1 Sep 1, 2013
I am trying to find any information regarding the 1983 disappearance of Hazel McCain. I know that her body was found in her car in the lake behind the VFW in 1991. Hoping someone who knew Hazel can fill in the blanks for me.
interested

United States

#2 Sep 1, 2013
interested wrote:
I am trying to find any information rega rding the 1983 disappearance of Hazel McCain. I know that her body was found in her car in the lake behind the VFW in 1991. Hoping someone who knew Hazel can fill in the blanks for me.
Sorry she was found in 1994 mistyped
Shadee

Sherman, TX

#3 Sep 1, 2013
Bill McCain, Bill's Auto Repair, on No. Center St. could help you.
interested

Hollywood, FL

#4 Sep 1, 2013
Shadee wrote:
Bill McCain, Bill's Auto Repair, on No. Center St. could help you.
How so? he is not related. I don't live in Bonham
interested

Hollywood, FL

#5 Sep 1, 2013
interested wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry she was found in 1994 mistyped
Now that I think about it she must have gone missing in 1973
Holes

Sherman, TX

#6 Sep 1, 2013
There's a hole in your research. If she went missing in '73 and her car & body was found in '94 then who kept up the registration on the car and (presumably)kept her alive for 21 years? That would rival the Cleveland abduction/kidnapping by 11 years, which would bring the world media here looking for answers...
Shadee

Sherman, TX

#7 Sep 1, 2013
It was before my time, but if my memory of the story is correct.......the car and body were submerged in the water all those years. She had been to the VFW one evening and apparently accidently drove into the lake when leaving there. No big scandal, just a local tragedy.
interested

Hollywood, FL

#8 Sep 2, 2013
Shadee wrote:
It was before my time, but if my memory of the story is correct.......the car and body were submerged in the water all those years. She had been to the VFW one evening and apparently accidently drove into the lake when leaving there. No big scandal, just a local tragedy.
You memory is correct except that it seems she was thought to have gone home after leaving the VFW. As I recall there was something about a overnight bag being in the car and I think they locked up her son on some kind of suspicion (although he was just a boy). There were rumers of fowl play and an affair with the sherrif.
jeff

Paris, TX

#9 Sep 2, 2013
interested wrote:
<quoted text>
You memory is correct except that it seems she was thought to have gone home after leaving the VFW. As I recall there was something about a overnight bag being in the car and I think they locked up her son on some kind of suspicion (although he was just a boy). There were rumers of fowl play and an affair with the sherrif.
Fowl play? Was someone choking a chicken or were they just having an affair with the sheriff?
hip

United States

#10 Sep 2, 2013
There's always got to be some ridiculous rumor attached to stories like this.
interested

Hollywood, FL

#11 Sep 2, 2013
After researching archives of the Bonham newspaper I can now say that she went missing Dec 6th 1972, her son told the police that she came home from VFW and then left after a short time. Her body was recovered from the car in the lake in sept 1994. They were unable to determine the cause of death due to time but did find a hole in her head. Interestingly there was nothing in the bonham paper about her disappearance when it happened and the police file went missing as well.
Holes

Sherman, TX

#12 Sep 2, 2013
Ahh,.... very well; I stand corrected. What I said came off as presumptuous. I know ignorance is no excuse. I did no research and spouted off based solely on what was posted. I knew nothing of a submerged car and body. I did not live here at that time. The last thing this community needs is more rumors...
interested

Hollywood, FL

#13 Sep 2, 2013
Holes wrote:
Ahh,.... very well; I stand corrected. What I said came off as presumptuous. I know ignorance is no excuse. I did no research and spouted off based solely on what was posted. I knew nothing of a submerged car and body. I did not live here at that time. The last thing this community needs is more rumors...
I am not trying to start rumors just curious about what really happened she was a cousin of mine. I was hoping someone might know something and be willing to talk now that it has been so long ago.
Tom

Sherman, TX

#14 Sep 3, 2013
"Interested", if you are a long lost cousin, why don't you talk to Bill McCain at Bill's Auto and Wrecker Service. If he does not know he definitely will send you on you way. I find it questionable all of a sudden you popup asking questions!
interested

United States

#15 Sep 3, 2013
Tom not that it is any of your business but I am not a long lost cousin just one that does not live in Texas. I was doing some geneology research for my family when I found this website and mention of Hazel. I remembered hearing about her disappearance as a child and hoped someone local might be able to tell me about what happened to her. If you don't know anything why do you care if I ask for information. I am not related to Bill Mc Cain and don't know if he was related to Hazel by marriage so would have know reason to bother him. If you know him feel free to let him know that he can contact me here if he has anything to share.
jeff

Paris, TX

#16 Sep 3, 2013
interested wrote:
Tom not that it is any of your business but I am not a long lost cousin just one that does not live in Texas. I was doing some geneology research for my family when I found this website and mention of Hazel. I remembered hearing about her disappearance as a child and hoped someone local might be able to tell me about what happened to her. If you don't know anything why do you care if I ask for information. I am not related to Bill Mc Cain and don't know if he was related to Hazel by marriage so would have know reason to bother him. If you know him feel free to let him know that he can contact me here if he has anything to share.
Don't be getting fowl on here, interested. Simma down.
what

Bonham, TX

#18 Sep 4, 2013
Holes wrote:
There's a hole in your research. If she went missing in '73 and her car & body was found in '94 then who kept up the registration on the car and (presumably)kept her alive for 21 years? That would rival the Cleveland abduction/kidnapping by 11 years, which would bring the world media here looking for answers...
Where do you get that her car registration was kept up to date ( her daughter may have kept the registration up to date, in hopes she was still alive ) and that she was kept "alive" for 21 years? I believe she was declared dead after 7 years!
Rumor had it

Bonham, TX

#19 Sep 4, 2013
interested wrote:
Tom not that it is any of your business but I am not a long lost cousin just one that does not live in Texas. I was doing some geneology research for my family when I found this website and mention of Hazel. I remembered hearing about her disappearance as a child and hoped someone local might be able to tell me about what happened to her. If you don't know anything why do you care if I ask for information. I am not related to Bill Mc Cain and don't know if he was related to Hazel by marriag,e so would have know reason to bother him. If you know him feel free to let him know that he can contact me here if he has anything to share.
So you are NOT a long lost cousin? So why are you interested? My mother knew Hazel, not a close friend, but friendly acquintence. Hazel was a widow, with a grown daughter, over 18 anyway, and a young son, about 10 years or so younger than the sister, and she seemed to have adored both kids. Hazel was last seen, in the early 7o's, at the VFW at Lake Bonham, and her body and her car were recovered in the early '90's in Lake Bonham, very close to where she was last seen. Rumor had it that she was seeing a married man, but nobody seemed to know that for sure. Her children were able to have closer after her body was found, with no apparent signs of violence. Why bring this up now?
Gary

Sherman, TX

#20 Sep 4, 2013
Rumor had it wrote:
<quoted text>So you are NOT a long lost cousin? So why are you interested? My mother knew Hazel, not a close friend, but friendly acquintence. Hazel was a widow, with a grown daughter, over 18 anyway, and a young son, about 10 years or so younger than the sister, and she seemed to have adored both kids. Hazel was last seen, in the early 7o's, at the VFW at Lake Bonham, and her body and her car were recovered in the early '90's in Lake Bonham, very close to where she was last seen. Rumor had it that she was seeing a married man, but nobody seemed to know that for sure. Her children were able to have closer after her body was found, with no apparent signs of violence. Why bring this up now?
I find this a little strange also. Reads like someone just sitting around trying to think of something to put on Topix to see what kind of response he would get. If he was interested or legit he would not come to this site for that type info.
anon

United States

#21 Sep 5, 2013
Hazel McCain, Jennifer Harris, Jack Morris, Katy Brewer. Four big mystery cases, and all four have yet to have any light shed on them.

Wonder how many fish were caught behind the VFW in the 70's

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Savoy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
School Bond Election 3 hr Sam Sharp 8
i don't wanna poo poo 6 hr Sweet Greggo the ... 11
TMC Bonham 18 hr anon 12
Airport Thu Bonham Observer 2
Check out my go fund me account "help us get a ... Thu onionslice 16
Review: Wilson Miller & SON Mobile Home Service (Mar '14) Feb 9 Glen Goza 4
Searching for Jacqueline Meade? Does anyone kno... Feb 8 Cprock30 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Savoy Mortgages