teacher pay raises
Darell

United States

#21 May 14, 2013
And they new all of that when they took the job. Cry Cry Cry

Most of you sale that stuff for the discount. I'am not moving anywhere.

knew, sell, I'm

You should listen to teachers instead of complaining about them.
Makes One Wonder

United States

#22 May 15, 2013
Bonham ISD is Academically Acceptable, that is a D letter grade folks. Teacher pay should not be raised until the school rating is increased. Just read the grammar and word usage (Cry Cry, it is KNEW, not NEW, the 'k' is silent) by so many of the posters. If this is what BISD is graduating, it is no wonder good paying jobs go elsewhere leaving Bonham at the bottom of the barrel.
Shadee

Texarkana, TX

#23 May 15, 2013
Interesting how people who can't spell, type, write in complete sentences or even think logically are such experts on education.
ratings

United States

#24 May 15, 2013
Did you realize that all special educations students are included in that rating? Did you know that the state of Texas penalizes a district if they have too many special education students? Do you fully understand how the ratings are decided? Have you looked at the online STAAR practice through TEA? Do you think YOU could do well?
Resident

Texarkana, TX

#25 May 15, 2013
Let's cut to the point here also and quit acting like it's not a factor, our schools have a bunch of Hispanic kids that aren't very good at English and don't help the ratings.
Michael Williams

South West City, MO

#26 May 15, 2013
Resident wrote:
Let's cut to the point here also and quit acting like it's not a factor, our schools have a bunch of Hispanic kids that aren't very good at English and don't help the ratings.
See people just rambling about nothing. Clueless, uninformed and ignorant, next time you see Resident tell the idiot that they have Spanish versions of everything and quit being racist.
say what

Texarkana, TX

#27 May 15, 2013
Makes One Wonder wrote:
Bonham ISD is Academically Acceptable, that is a D letter grade folks. Teacher pay should not be raised until the school rating is increased. Just read the grammar and word usage (Cry Cry, it is KNEW, not NEW, the 'k' is silent) by so many of the posters. If this is what BISD is graduating, it is no wonder good paying jobs go elsewhere leaving Bonham at the bottom of the barrel.

If you check the scores - Bonham has been steadily and dramatically improving their scores over the last couple of years. So I would think its time to increase their pay!

How do you figure that "Academically Acceptable" is a D letter grade? Exemplary is the best (perhaps A+?); Recognized is second level (perhaps A or A- or maybe even a B?) and "Academically Acceptable" is third level (perhaps a B or C?).
Cry Cry

Boise, ID

#28 May 16, 2013
You think I may have used the grammer that I did as a joke. Now look at my other post and see what you can find wrong are is rong. Never the less I still make $ 73,000 a year and my wife makes 78,000 that is a lot of money and yes it is legal money. BISD is a joke as it was when I attendant.
Steven

United States

#29 May 16, 2013
Cry cry. You sir are a moron! Michael, they DO NOT have a Spanish version of EVERY test! Did you know that a student that moved into the district straight from Mexico is required to take the English STAAR....IN ENGLISH? That is a State of Texas requirement! It's 100% true! Look it up! How is that fair? That is in both writing and reading! It is my understanding that there are 3 or 4 students like this in each grade. If there is 100 students in a grade, this is an automatic 3 or 4 percent that is GUARANTEED to fail! There is absolutely nothing that ANY teacher, principal, or administrator can do about it! Now, back to Cry Cry...BISD is rated exemplary in almost every category except for 4 or 5 that is rated recognized, and maybe 2 or 3 that are rated acceptable! If this was averaged together, Bonham would be exemplary almost every year and not below recognized for the last four years! But oh no! If a school is rated academically acceptable in ONE category, or God forbid, academically UNacceptable, guess what? The school is given the lowest rating that any sub group is! So, if a school has a hard number (not percentage) of 50 Hispanic students and that one group does not meet state requirements for Acceptable and is in fact rated Accademically Unacceptable and EVERY OTHER sub group in EVERY OTHER subject is rated Exemplary, then the ENTIRE campus, and thus likely the entire school district is rated Academically UNacceptable! The state believes that a school is only as good as its lowest group! THAT is why Ector, Dodd City, Sam Rayburn and the others always gets higher rankings....because they DO NOT have a "hard count" of 50 in their sub groups. Their students are all averaged together! Theoretically, Bonham could have a much higher percentage of passing scores but could still be rated Unacceptable while these little districts are exemplary! Now that you know the truth! Shut your damn mouth because you have no idea what you are talking about!!!
Michael Williams

South West City, MO

#30 May 17, 2013
Steven wrote:
Cry cry. You sir are a moron! Michael, they DO NOT have a Spanish version of EVERY test! Did you know that a student that moved into the district straight from Mexico is required to take the English STAAR....IN ENGLISH? That is a State of Texas requirement! It's 100% true! Look it up! How is that fair? That is in both writing and reading! It is my understanding that there are 3 or 4 students like this in each grade. If there is 100 students in a grade, this is an automatic 3 or 4 percent that is GUARANTEED to fail! There is absolutely nothing that ANY teacher, principal, or administrator can do about it! Now, back to Cry Cry...BISD is rated exemplary in almost every category except for 4 or 5 that is rated recognized, and maybe 2 or 3 that are rated acceptable! If this was averaged together, Bonham would be exemplary almost every year and not below recognized for the last four years! But oh no! If a school is rated academically acceptable in ONE category, or God forbid, academically UNacceptable, guess what? The school is given the lowest rating that any sub group is! So, if a school has a hard number (not percentage) of 50 Hispanic students and that one group does not meet state requirements for Acceptable and is in fact rated Accademically Unacceptable and EVERY OTHER sub group in EVERY OTHER subject is rated Exemplary, then the ENTIRE campus, and thus likely the entire school district is rated Academically UNacceptable! The state believes that a school is only as good as its lowest group! THAT is why Ector, Dodd City, Sam Rayburn and the others always gets higher rankings....because they DO NOT have a "hard count" of 50 in their sub groups. Their students are all averaged together! Theoretically, Bonham could have a much higher percentage of passing scores but could still be rated Unacceptable while these little districts are exemplary! Now that you know the truth! Shut your damn mouth because you have no idea what you are talking about!!!
Having been a TAKS/STARR monitor for two years and been to the mandatory meetings I believe they call it special accomodations, and Mrs Staton explained all this in her Campus Committee meetings and I believe I still have all the handouts she gave me as a committee member. It is a very complex system that almost requires a doctors degree to understand, and the system changes almost every year especially going from one testing system to another, and Starrs testing is not the only thing they take in account, and our district was on the watch list but I understand we are not under so much supervision as before which is a credit to our teachers and administrators. And our rating would be even better if parents would take a more active role in their kids education. So sorry you feel I never know what I am talking about but if you would listen once in awhile you might learn something. I don't know everything but the things I do know about I have backup to prove it. A lot of people in this county are figuring that out. So to all that think I am being negative you might want to think about it or research it before you spout off. Twisting and turning comments to look good only makes you a fool.
Resident

Texarkana, TX

#31 May 17, 2013
Michael Williams wrote:
<quoted text>See people just rambling about nothing. Clueless, uninformed and ignorant, next time you see Resident tell the idiot that they have Spanish versions of everything and quit being racist.
LOL, okay. You don't know anywhere near what you think you do.

What is your and your wife's fixation on the words "idiot" and "ignorant"? SMILE!!!
Steven

Roanoke, TX

#32 May 17, 2013
Michael Williams wrote:
<quoted text>Having been a TAKS/STARR monitor for two years and been to the mandatory meetings I believe they call it special accomodations, and Mrs Staton explained all this in her Campus Committee meetings and I believe I still have all the handouts she gave me as a committee member. It is a very complex system that almost requires a doctors degree to understand, and the system changes almost every year especially going from one testing system to another, and Starrs testing is not the only thing they take in account, and our district was on the watch list but I understand we are not under so much supervision as before which is a credit to our teachers and administrators. And our rating would be even better if parents would take a more active role in their kids education. So sorry you feel I never know what I am talking about but if you would listen once in awhile you might learn something. I don't know everything but the things I do know about I have backup to prove it. A lot of people in this county are figuring that out. So to all that think I am being negative you might want to think about it or research it before you spout off. Twisting and turning comments to look good only makes you a fool.
Williams, I'm sorry you took that the wrong way, but I was referring to Cry Cry, not you. The only thing I wrote that was meant towards you, was the part about the Spanish STAAR being in English. When it comes to most things, I believe you are informed and do your homework! Now, I'm not saying that I always agree with you or the stance you take but I respect you when it comes to discussing things. So, again my apologies for you thinking my rant was meant towards you, but read it again...Cry Cry is the fool here, and quite honest, I do not believe that I am a fool. I may be a little hot tempered when it comes to uninformed people talking out of their posterior, but it was not meant towards you!
Resident

Texarkana, TX

#33 May 17, 2013
That will surely make him smile!!!!
Michael Williams

South West City, MO

#34 May 17, 2013
Steven wrote:
<quoted text>
Williams, I'm sorry you took that the wrong way, but I was referring to Cry Cry, not you. The only thing I wrote that was meant towards you, was the part about the Spanish STAAR being in English. When it comes to most things, I believe you are informed and do your homework! Now, I'm not saying that I always agree with you or the stance you take but I respect you when it comes to discussing things. So, again my apologies for you thinking my rant was meant towards you, but read it again...Cry Cry is the fool here, and quite honest, I do not believe that I am a fool. I may be a little hot tempered when it comes to uninformed people talking out of their posterior, but it was not meant towards you!
LOL apology accepted, I am use to it though, Resident dishes out enough against me for all to lay claim too.
Michael Williams

South West City, MO

#35 May 17, 2013
Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, okay. You don't know anywhere near what you think you do.
What is your and your wife's fixation on the words "idiot" and "ignorant"? SMILE!!!
Well trying to be nice Resident but if that offends you then for you I will use brain dead, dysfunctional with low self esteem. Better?
Resident

Texarkana, TX

#36 May 17, 2013
Bwhahahahaha!

Don't worry, be happy!
Steven

Haslet, TX

#37 May 17, 2013
One more thing, Williams, you are right about the now former rating system being very complex! Without divulging my complete identity, I can assure you that I am well informed about the ins and outs! On the hs English EOC (the high school version of STAAR), the Spanish speaking students have accommodations for the Science, Social Studies, and Math EOCs, but when it comes to the Reading and Writing EOCs, the only accommodation is they have an ESL teacher helping them translate. These two tests are required to be administered in English! The ESL teacher can only translate questions and answer choices! There is absolutely no way that a student with little or no English comprehension can pass this! Considering the writing has to be in English, these students have no clue about structure, tense, subject/verb agreement, etc. that is a NCLB requirement and it's unfair to all involved! On a side note, this also applies to Asians, Europeans, Africans, etc!!
Michael Williams

South West City, MO

#38 May 17, 2013
Steven wrote:
One more thing, Williams, you are right about the now former rating system being very complex! Without divulging my complete identity, I can assure you that I am well informed about the ins and outs! On the hs English EOC (the high school version of STAAR), the Spanish speaking students have accommodations for the Science, Social Studies, and Math EOCs, but when it comes to the Reading and Writing EOCs, the only accommodation is they have an ESL teacher helping them translate. These two tests are required to be administered in English! The ESL teacher can only translate questions and answer choices! There is absolutely no way that a student with little or no English comprehension can pass this! Considering the writing has to be in English, these students have no clue about structure, tense, subject/verb agreement, etc. that is a NCLB requirement and it's unfair to all involved! On a side note, this also applies to Asians, Europeans, Africans, etc!!
That's why they have special accomodations and why some have and some haven't been included in the final report. But you explained it better as I was just a monitor and heard these things in the mandatory meeting.
I just know BISD is in transition on English/Spanish language classes starting at Finley. I don't think the Starrs test is a true test of students learning ability and teachers teaching ability. What happened to the old way where teachers taught, issued test on what they taught if you passed you moved on. The State makes teachers spend way too much time on tests that are irrevelent, let's go back to reading, writing and arithmetic and learn the basics first then move on.
Cry Cry

Boise, ID

#39 May 17, 2013
But I still make more money then you. And stop sucking up to that Williams , he can't get you anywhere.
Bonham Teacher

Texarkana, TX

#40 May 17, 2013
I am working 3 jobs to make ends meet. I pay almost 800.00 a month out of my pocket for insurance for my family, and the district contributes another 225.00. Most of the teachers I know go beyond and above the call of duty. I personally know that most teachers work 12 hours per day, and sometimes take work home with them. They are limited by CSCOPE, which is confusing in itself, but what our state chose to adopt as curriculum. If you drive by Finley Oates anytime between 6:15 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., you will see teachers' cars still there, and sometimes even on the weekends. Why would anyone settler for mediocrity? They're doing all that they can to bring their students up to grade level, but they need support from the parents as well. We have MANY students with learning issues, and behavior issues as well. Try having a class of 23 kids and 50 percent of them are below grade level, and/or have behavior problems that takes time away from instruction. Lazy? I don't think so. Do you think we chose this profession for the money? Uh, no. In order for BISD to be competitive and get and KEEP quality teachers, we need to pay competitively.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Savoy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Huge turnover of teachers-Bonham 2 hr Anonymous 5
Molly Helons 13 hr Anonymous 1
News New contractor will complete work on State High... (Sep '14) Sun Do Tell 8
Bonham administrators Jul 22 mcluvin 10
Worst coach bonham has ever had is the Question!!! (Jan '14) Jul 21 Anonymous 31
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun '16 robert 994
Savoy Coaches! (Feb '14) Feb '15 Cardinal parent 37

Savoy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Savoy Mortgages