First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Inshambles

Sherman, TX

#1 May 9, 2013
Since this is Teacher Appreciation Week, how about the board and Dr. Beaty showing some appreciation and approve a raise for ALL teachers. It is a shame that some teachers have to work a second job to make ends meet. Dr. Beaty has come in and made monumental changes, but not one change toward showing appreciation for the classroom teachers. District wide, classroom teachers have worked extremely hard under some extreme circumstances with no reward for all they have done to make this an excellent place for students to learn. It's about time classroom teachers were given some of the monetary rewards others in the district have received. I beleive if Dr Beaty and the board looked hard enough they can find the funds to give these raises(and I am not talking about the technology stipend for $1,000.00 that is to be given). The money was found to give Dr. Beaty a raise in salary. Just saying.
skeptical

Sherman, TX

#2 May 9, 2013
I agree that ALL teachers need a raise. Yes, the coaches needed to be set comparable to other districts; however, ALL teachers need to be caught up with other districts. I hear people saying that teachers are lazy, no good people. Then raise the pay to keep/get teachers who will work for the pay. The old saying goes, "You get what you pay for!" I TRULY believe that BISD has an amazing staff. I don't think they get the credit or pay they deserve.
doh

Dallas, TX

#3 May 10, 2013
Maybe if the teachers would actually teach something to bring their ratings beyond Academically Acceptable, they would deserve a raise.

Bonham is still living in 1980, and that is just where the backwards people in Fannin County want to be.

Maybe that kid in Duncanville should give Bonham ISD a lecture.
bonham parent

United States

#4 May 10, 2013
doh wrote:
Maybe if the teachers would actually teach something to bring their ratings beyond Academically Acceptable, they would deserve a raise.

Bonham is still living in 1980, and that is just where the backwards people in Fannin County want to be.

Maybe that kid in Duncanville should give Bonham ISD a lecture.
Maybe you should be given the exact tests each grade takes--3rd through twelfth..I'm curious as to what kind of scores you would have.
anon anon

Bonham, TX

#5 May 12, 2013
doh wrote:
Maybe if the teachers would actually teach something to bring their ratings beyond Academically Acceptable, they would deserve a raise.
Bonham is still living in 1980, and that is just where the backwards people in Fannin County want to be.
Maybe that kid in Duncanville should give Bonham ISD a lecture.
I would agree with you on the point of backwards people in Fannin county but I disagree that it is the majority of the teachers. They have to work with what they are given. Sometimes, okay, let's agree a lot of the times, in this district, they are given hungry children (67% qualified for Free and Reduced Lunches in 2012), children whose parents could probably not even pass the required tests and are asked to have these kids perform at levels expected of kids whose parents are ACTUALLY INVOLVED in their kid's education.
Parents need to be involved with their children in education if great success is the expectation. The only time most parents get involved with a school is when the administration has a discipline issue and they (the parents) want to protect their precious little innocent child.
I have seen elementary homework assignments to kids that come back incomplete. Why does this happen? Because a parent is too lazy to be involved in their own kid's lives. They could possibly miss American Idol or whatever else is on TV that night.

Some bad teachers - possibly, but the new Superintendent is cleaning up that problem. A lot of kids that come from a terrible home environment - bingo!
Inshambles

Sherman, TX

#6 May 12, 2013
So what do these posts have to do with approving teacher pay raises? Let's see some support for the teachers in BISD. If anyone thinks teaching is an easy job, please, it takes 4 years to get a degree. There are two 4 year universities in close proximity to Bonham. It is time-actually past time-to show respect for our teachers. Please model respect to your children so they will show respect at school.
Steven

Euless, TX

#7 May 12, 2013
Inshambles wrote:
So what do these posts have to do with approving teacher pay raises? Let's see some support for the teachers in BISD. If anyone thinks teaching is an easy job, please, it takes 4 years to get a degree. There are two 4 year universities in close proximity to Bonham. It is time-actually past time-to show respect for our teachers. Please model respect to your children so they will show respect at school.
Well said! "Doh" obviously has no clue. We should expect a response like this from someone that uses a Homer Simpson exclamatory as his/her name! Doh, if you need a definition for the word "exclamatory", use one of those book things called a DICTIONARY or look it up online or I will be glad to define! Good day!:)
Cry Cry

Bonham, TX

#8 May 12, 2013
Be glad you have a job, a lot of people do not. I think God, daily that I do. I think teachers get enough in Bonham, if you want more money then move are get a second job.
sad

Sherman, TX

#9 May 12, 2013
"teachers get enough in Bonham" - so what exactly do you mean by that? Teachers in Bonham should be satisfied to be earning less than teachers in neighboring towns? That our community should be satisfied with being second (or lower) rate? Sadly, this is not the first time I have encountered this mentality of being content with being behind the curve.

Of course, this is also the community that turned down a gift of free land and $4 million to help build a college here.
teacher

Quinlan, TX

#10 May 13, 2013
Cry Cry wrote:
Be glad you have a job, a lot of people do not. I think God, daily that I do. I think teachers get enough in Bonham, if you want more money then move are get a second job.
I'm very glad I have a job. I THANK God daily for my job. I truly wish that I didn't have to spend a good portion of my paycheck on school supplies for students whose parents CHOOSE to buy lottery tickets, cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, etc. Many of the teachers I know do work second jobs just to make ends meet!
Cry Cry

Bonham, TX

#11 May 13, 2013
So you are saying that ever student that can not afford supplies , parents smoke cigaretts drinks alcohol does drugs and buys lottery tickets ? You said many teachers you know have second jobs , then maybe you should work a second job aswell. Maybe you should just find another job altogether, does not sound like this one is for you. Cry Cry Cry.
teacher

Quinlan, TX

#12 May 13, 2013
Actually, I do work a second job. The only time I cry is when my students are neglected/abused. Do I think that every child that doesn't have supplies have parents that are wasting money on those things--a good portion of them are, but I'm sure some have just fell on hard times. Sounds like I hit a nerve with you--maybe because your guilty of neglecting your child's needs because of your own selfishness??! Did you vote in the school board election? Do you really care about Bonham, the kids, or education in general? You have showed a lack of knowledge in what it takes to be a teacher. You probably wouldn't last a day doing my job!
sigh

Carrollton, TX

#13 May 13, 2013
teacher wrote:
Actually, I do work a second job. The only time I cry is when my students are neglected/abused. Do I think that every child that doesn't have supplies have parents that are wasting money on those things--a good portion of them are, but I'm sure some have just fell on hard times. Sounds like I hit a nerve with you--maybe because your guilty of neglecting your child's needs because of your own selfishness??! Did you vote in the school board election? Do you really care about Bonham, the kids, or education in general? You have showed a lack of knowledge in what it takes to be a teacher. You probably wouldn't last a day doing my job!
I agree that teachers should receive higher pay. However, I hope you are NOT an English teacher, because if you are, we have a serious problem in the BISD.
teacher

Quinlan, TX

#14 May 13, 2013
sigh wrote:
<quoted text>I agree that teachers should receive higher pay. However, I hope you are NOT an English teacher, because if you are, we have a serious problem in the BISD.
I'm sorry I didn't proofread my post.
Cry Cry

Bonham, TX

#15 May 14, 2013
No nerve hit here. No never did wrong by my kids. I vote. I do care about all the kids. I'll bet you could not do my job. Stop crying and move on , no matter what you say on here it will never help. I'll also bet you do not have a second job , most teachers in Bonham do not this I know for a fact.
teacher

Quinlan, TX

#16 May 14, 2013
As a matter of fact several do have second jobs. Several are Zeal, advocare, Mary Kay and Avon consultants and some do tutoring on the side (as I do as well as doing some bookkeeping for a small business in Sherman). I'm not crying, nor will I move on. However, you're welcome to move on.
Bill Brasky

Euless, TX

#17 May 14, 2013
Cry Cry wrote:
Be glad you have a job, a lot of people do not. I think God, daily that I do. I think teachers get enough in Bonham, if you want more money then move are get a second job.
I totally agree, not just for teachers, but any profession. If at any point in your life you decide you need, or deserve, a raise, don't ask for one. Instead, just go out and get a second job. Whatever happened to this forum? I miss the good ol' days when people got on here and talked about things that mattered like burgers, road boats,etc.
In shock

United States

#18 May 14, 2013
With the mentality or move or get a second job, it is no wonder why Bonham has the turnover it does. People do what they have to do to make ends meet, but stating that teachers should get a second job is absurd! Do you even realize just how much time outside of the normal day that teachers spend preparing lessons, grading papers, calling parents, etc? Or, how much of their own income is spent on class supplies to make sure every student is provided an equal opportunity to learn? How many of you take that much work home or are willing to spend for your job out of your pocket with no chance of reimbursement? So many of you have no clue!
Cry Cry

Bonham, TX

#19 May 14, 2013
Most of you sale that stuff for the discount. I'am not moving anywhere.
Cry Cry

Bonham, TX

#20 May 14, 2013
And they new all of that when they took the job. Cry Cry Cry

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Savoy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Duncan pleads guilty 3 hr Sherman Grayson 22
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 14 hr Fossilfarts 708
Nauseated at attempt to buy loyalty and friends 15 hr GrowUp 4
Bonham High School Sign 15 hr Jethro Kreskin Esq 16
Bill Carey 17 hr Anonymous 17
$$$ 5th Annual WE NEED FRIENDS $$$ Thu itshufits 1
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Wed Gasman 543

Freeze Warning for Fannin County was issued at October 31 at 4:37AM CDT

Savoy News Video

Savoy Dating
Find my Match

Savoy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Savoy News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Savoy

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]