wow

Leonard, TX

#1 Aug 24, 2013
WHAT HAPPENED ?
this was uch a GREAT group..
Michael Williams

Henryetta, OK

#2 Aug 24, 2013
We have gone by several times at different times and no one was there, we are worried about the welfare of the animals.
Resident

United States

#3 Aug 24, 2013
City stepped up after the county wouldn't and they all said if you build it they would make sure it was ran properly. Not sure where they all went.
Michael Williams

Henryetta, OK

#4 Aug 24, 2013
Bash me if you wish Resident but I was an advocate against the new dog house. The County was against it from the start, and the City if I remember was the catalyst to get it started, with Mayor Floyd at the "Grand Opening". Just another failed project by the City Of Bonham or the Fannin County Commissioners Court, when I ask, Resident are people going to wake up and realize what is going on and step up to the challenge.
confused

Texarkana, TX

#5 Aug 25, 2013
Michael - You say you were against the new pound but yet you are trying to get folks to volunteer? I'm confused - are you supportive or not? Your posts are a mixture of positive and negative statements towards the animal shelter.
Michael Williams

Henryetta, OK

#6 Aug 25, 2013
confused wrote:
Michael - You say you were against the new pound but yet you are trying to get folks to volunteer? I'm confused - are you supportive or not? Your posts are a mixture of positive and negative statements towards the animal shelter.
I was against it in the beginning as it wasn't a unified project, slapped together by the City, no direction, like an after thought. But once it did get started I wanted to give it a chance even though I felt it was doomed for failure. You have to have direction and a director for a project to succeed. It's sad our animals and kids are not given more respect.
confused

Texarkana, TX

#7 Aug 25, 2013
Ok, thanks for clarifying. I find your view interesting. My perception of the matter is different. Now the vast majority of what I knew about the inception and development of the current shelter all came from what I read in the papers. But it seemed to me it was not something the city entered into as an afterthought. Quite the contrary, they spent years debating and negotiating with the county and the other cities in Fannin County. Once it became apparent that the county could not be talked into doing a joint project, the city started looking at going it alone - a process that took quite a long time. City council members expressed concerns that they could not maintain a new shelter with city dollars alone. Lots of citizens promised to provide volunteer labor to keep the shelter operational and donations to keep it running too. I agree with you that there is no director. We have 2 animal control officers who stay busy with the animals. There does need to be someone (could be paid or volunteer) to recruit, train, schedule and supervise the volunteers who, in turn, can take care of the animals, keep the shelter open so folks can adopt, etc.
Michael Williams

Henryetta, OK

#8 Aug 25, 2013
confused wrote:
Ok, thanks for clarifying. I find your view interesting. My perception of the matter is different. Now the vast majority of what I knew about the inception and development of the current shelter all came from what I read in the papers. But it seemed to me it was not something the city entered into as an afterthought. Quite the contrary, they spent years debating and negotiating with the county and the other cities in Fannin County. Once it became apparent that the county could not be talked into doing a joint project, the city started looking at going it alone - a process that took quite a long time. City council members expressed concerns that they could not maintain a new shelter with city dollars alone. Lots of citizens promised to provide volunteer labor to keep the shelter operational and donations to keep it running too. I agree with you that there is no director. We have 2 animal control officers who stay busy with the animals. There does need to be someone (could be paid or volunteer) to recruit, train, schedule and supervise the volunteers who, in turn, can take care of the animals, keep the shelter open so folks can adopt, etc.
Maybe after thought was the wrong choice of words, the City was pressured into it more or less and like you said the Council had some doubts which means they didn't have a direction. I agree with you on a full time director as many people who could volunteer have lives too but could be there at a time easier to them thus the scheduling as you suggested. A director would have time to promote ways to receive donations like getting the city to add a $1 to water bills, call on businesses for donations etc. I was always told when there is a will there is a way.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Solution

Leonard, TX

#9 Aug 25, 2013
The solution to unwanted animals is to round up the people that dumped them and stick them in the pound instead of the animals. When they die, then feed their carcasses to the homeless strays. That would also eliminate most of the porch monkey welfare meth snorting crowd as well.
Travis

Decatur, GA

#10 Aug 25, 2013
Volunteers right whatever..... The Main reason Companies will not come to Bonham because we have the Laziest people Fannin County. Sorry the truth hurts. Money doesn't motivate anymore.... If was given to them they would grip.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Good

Leonard, TX

#11 Aug 26, 2013
Travis wrote:
Volunteers right whatever..... The Main reason Companies will not come to Bonham because we have the Laziest people Fannin County. Sorry the truth hurts. Money doesn't motivate anymore.... If was given to them they would grip.
Good, we don't want any damn outsiders coming in bringing their disease, pestilence, and big city ways with them. Stay the hell out of this county city folks, Yankees, and undesirables. We are all full up already and don't want any more scum.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Michael Williams

Tahlequah, OK

#12 Aug 26, 2013
Good wrote:
<quoted text>
Good, we don't want any damn outsiders coming in bringing their disease, pestilence, and big city ways with them. Stay the hell out of this county city folks, Yankees, and undesirables. We are all full up already and don't want any more scum.
And this comment just shows the ignorance of what outsiders can do for this God forsaken town, and nobody said anything about big city, how about just a city hell bent on another town in north Texas being a land fill.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Devin Robertson

Texarkana, AR

#13 Aug 28, 2013
Good wrote:
<quoted text>
Because Bonham already has enough disease-ridden, dope-smoking, meth-snorting, inbred, home-grown scum??

Yep

Leonard, TX

#14 Aug 28, 2013
Devin Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Because Bonham already has enough disease-ridden, dope-smoking, meth-snorting, inbred, home-grown scum??
Yep, damn straight, that and all the outsiders who oozed their way here in search of others like them. Just look at a few of the posters on here for evidence of that. Good job, you just completed step 1. Identifying the problem. Now, step 2.
Curious

Caddo Mills, TX

#15 Aug 30, 2013
Bonham is big enough as it is. Takes more than 10 minutes just to cross town with all the new lights and stop signs. Ridiculous.
Warning

Savoy, TX

#16 Aug 31, 2013
Bonham better be glad it isn't growing. The land in Van Alstine has gotten ridiculously priced in the last few years because of Dallas expansion moving here, and now only the rich people can afford to buy a place around here to build or have a ranch. It sucks! Enjoy it while you can Bonham.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Savoy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Church 1 hr Jimmy Swaggart 18
Denison Outrage Wed News Flash 10
Kinfolk MC Mar 21 oldschool42 41
Angel angles (Oct '15) Mar 16 anonymous 56
Tabitha Caplinger let go (Sep '12) Mar 15 Homey The Clown 62
what are they putting in across from wal mart (Jun '15) Mar 15 Ask 44
Shoplifting Mar 15 Timothy B 34

Savoy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance