Rising grain, energy prices push up b...

Rising grain, energy prices push up bills at supermarkets

There are 5 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 8, 2007, titled Rising grain, energy prices push up bills at supermarkets. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

This morning, your bowl of cereal and milk probably cost you 49 cents. Last year, it was 44 cents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

eric

AOL

#1 Oct 8, 2007
a good article up to what I think was a less than honest statistic thrown in near the end for a supposed feel-good moment. That statistic was that today food at home comprises only 8.5% of the household budget whereas in 1960 it comprised 19%. A moment's thought makes clear that the key phrase in this is "at home." Sure people spend less for food at home. But the reason is that they spend much more at restaurants. Does the writer of the article really think restaurants are not going to raise their prices if the price of food in markets goes up? Come on.
Amy

Cicero, IL

#3 Oct 8, 2007
So, the government is telling us, that in spite of inflated fuel and food costs, and in the wake of very high housing prices, that there is NO inflation? I think that whole "core inflation" nonsense is the biggest cock and bull story ever.

My family of four pays more for absolutely everything we buy. That would be inflation, idiot government statistical manipulators. Stripping out "volatile" food and energy prices serves who?
Tom

Chicago, IL

#4 Oct 9, 2007
I wholeheartedly agree with the two previous posts. In the 1960's with stay at home mother's families ate most of their meals at home. Now that is a thing of the past and most meals are eaten out. Also the statistic at the beginning of the article mentions inflation adjusted to the 1970's but fails to mention that wages at the time were booming while wages today are flat. This is a totally misleading article.
TIC

United States

#5 Oct 9, 2007
among the factors for this, we can thank Senator Dick Durbin
for supporting ethanol and not supporting oil drilling in the AWR
Tom

Chicago, IL

#6 Oct 9, 2007
TIC wrote:
among the factors for this, we can thank Senator Dick Durbin
for supporting ethanol and not supporting oil drilling in the AWR
While you're placing blame don't forget the commodity traders who bid the price of corn and grains up resulting in higher prices for us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Savoy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay men increasingly turn to surrogates to have... Nov 24 Jobart 4
Illini basketball Nov 24 Bbfan 1
Review: Flooring Surfaces Factory Outlet (Jan '15) Jan '15 DKiddoo 1
Any Pizza Hut employees in Savoy who have had t... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Serious Money 1
Elections (Apr '12) Apr '12 Citizen 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) Nov '11 Zethias 19
Review: Regal Nails (Apr '11) Apr '11 angela 1

Savoy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Savoy Mortgages