Rising cost of a global food market -

Rising cost of a global food market -

There are 1 comment on the Newsday story from Oct 9, 2007, titled Rising cost of a global food market -. In it, Newsday reports that:

This morning, your bowl of cereal and milk probably cost you 49 cents. Last year, it was 44 cents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

David Weinstein

Randolph, NJ

#1 Oct 9, 2007
Food price rises hurt most Americans today as much as they did in 1960, but today's top income earners earn so much more, while consuming the same amount of food. As a result of averaging their expenditures with the expenditures the rest of us make, food price rises appear to account for less of the average household budget. The article should consider the rest of in a separate statistic. The top 20 percent of income earner expenditures spend a much lower proportion of income on food because they spend much more on expensive second homes, travel, electronics, and other luxury items. The other 80 percent of income earners, according to the U.S. Statistical Abstract of 2007, earning below the $100,000 threshold, account for only 35 percent of expenditures in the nation. This expenditure statistic is cited widely in the press and should be cited in any article about price inflation, for comprehensive perspective.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Savoy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hen House that burned down Jul 20 Harry_Angstrom 1
Police Cheif tied to corruption Jul 17 Cheif Gires Brother 1
News New Study Claims Drug Ibogaine Can Cure Heroin ... (Nov '10) Jul 5 niner 4 life 45
Dog that was hung in Sibley, Illinois Jul 1 just sayin 2
Sara Prevo (Prevert) Taylor (May '15) Jun '16 Uncommon Sense 2 2
Are there any Rental houses in the St Joseph area Jun '16 bkh79 1
Restaurants (Oct '15) Jun '16 Dr Gerald Demal 4

Savoy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Savoy Mortgages