2 Kids Die in I-86 Car Fire

2 Kids Die in I-86 Car Fire

There are 35 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Aug 15, 2007, titled 2 Kids Die in I-86 Car Fire. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

Two children were killed Tuesday afternoon in a car fire on Interstate 86 in the town of Erwin, Steuben County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Michele

Jamestown, NY

#1 Aug 16, 2007
This is just heartbreaking! my thoughts and prayers are with the mother.
meme

Dearborn, MI

#2 Aug 16, 2007
Horrible!
unbelievably sad.:(
Candy Apple

North Tonawanda, NY

#3 Aug 16, 2007
OMG...rest in peace little angels. Thoughts and prayers are with the parents and family. This is heatbreaking and tragic.
Mom of 2

Tonawanda, NY

#4 Aug 16, 2007
I am so sorry to hear about this, my prayers and thoughts are with those little angels and the mother, how horrible to have to wittness that :(

“It Figures”

Since: Aug 07

City of Tonawanda

#5 Aug 16, 2007
Rip to the babies.God bless the family.
OhNO

Buffalo, NY

#6 Aug 16, 2007
That's horrible, so sad for the kids and the mom. When I hear stories like this I can't help but wonder what makes a parent give up tho? I know the story said the car became engulfed in the flames but I can't help but think that I would have just died right along with them unable to stop trying. I'm not bashing the mother here so please don't start in on me!!!! It was just a thought I had after reading the story. Did anyone read the story about the couple and their 2 kids who a week or two ago died in the house fire? The story was told that the father and the youngest baby were found on the first floor with the father clutching the baby in his arms? I see myself as that type of parent, that would have been me. Again, I'm not bashing the mother here so please don't start in on me!
Brandie

Annapolis, MD

#7 Aug 16, 2007
oh my god that is so sad, and i heard that as the women was screaming no one stopped to help her get her babies out and that her kids might still be alive if someone had stopped.
JACKIE

AOL

#8 Aug 16, 2007
Bless the sweet darlings and the mother as well. I have to comment on what Brandie wrote.I used to drive that highway daily and there were quite a few times when I had to pull to the side of the road "hoping" to seek help, as I have a heart condition and fell ill one time and blew a tire the next. I had flares out, waving, tears of fear and nothing. oh, one state trooper drove past me. Maybe he didnt stop because my skirt wasn't short enough??. The exits are quite a distance apart and the traffic is horrific were this accident happened. I can tell you by experience that no one wants to be bothered to stop on that highway and the police there are useless, how well I know. All you people who seen that accident and didnt stop to help whether there was a fire or not should be ashamed of themselves. I strongly believe all of you will be in a situation at one time or another, needing help and you'll see what it feels like to be stranded. What in God's name were you people thinking seeing a woman screaming in such a way that you didn't give a thought to stop??? May God bless that family and rest in peace. AS for the useless wonders out there....one day you may see the light. You'll be judge in time !
JENNIFER

Buffalo, NY

#9 Aug 17, 2007
Jackie how do you know that no one stopped? The article didn't mention that at all...and I dont blame the mother for giving up - I dont think she gave up...the man clutching the baby couldn't get out of the house - and he was carrying the baby that is why he was found clutching the baby. This is a completely different story - what do you suggest she should have done? Got back in the car with them? I think it's human nature to back away from flames especially when they are as hot as this car was - no one could stand to keep themselves in the fire regardless of their children being in the car or not. That is what I think happened anyways.
Dan Beam

Barnesville, OH

#10 Aug 17, 2007
OhNO wrote:
That's horrible, so sad for the kids and the mom. When I hear stories like this I can't help but wonder what makes a parent give up tho? I know the story said the car became engulfed in the flames but I can't help but think that I would have just died right along with them unable to stop trying. I'm not bashing the mother here so please don't start in on me!!!! It was just a thought I had after reading the story. Did anyone read the story about the couple and their 2 kids who a week or two ago died in the house fire? The story was told that the father and the youngest baby were found on the first floor with the father clutching the baby in his arms? I see myself as that type of parent, that would have been me. Again, I'm not bashing the mother here so please don't start in on me!
If you have seen the actually scene or where present at the scene then you would have seen that another motorist litereally had to pull the mother off off the vehicle as she would have gone right with here kids if she would have been able to. Its very unfortunate that the news or papers dont go into exact detail of the whole story but only hit bits and peices about the story. The man litereally had to pull her from the vehicle as she had to watch the pain and suffering of my neices.
Katrina Tobey

Conklin, NY

#11 Aug 17, 2007
I honestly don't know how anyone on here could possibly have anything on here to say but condolenceses to this mother, father and thier family! No one could ever say what they would do in a situation like that unless they were in it...SHE DID ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING THAT SHE COULD DO TO SAVE THOSE BABIES...everything a mother could possibly do in that flicker of a moment! She is a hero, and a brave woman in my eyes and needs all the love and support that she can get! Its the kindness and love of strangers, family, and friends that will get her, and the rest of her family through this horrible tragedy. Wouldn't you expect the same if it were your children?...Have some compassion, don't judge, and give this family the support and love that they so whole-heartedly deserve!
---A friend
A Grandma

Buffalo, NY

#12 Aug 19, 2007
My prayers are with this young mother and the whole family. I can't even imagine living with the flashbacks this poor mother will have the rest of her life. If you have never had a car fire you cannot realize the extreme heat the metal radiates nearly instantly. Couple that with plastic and upholstery, you cannot see thru thick black smoke nor breathe the fumes, they are so intense.Then thirdly, groping for the HOT buckles to loosen 2 babies in separate car seats on either side of the back seat and remove a screaming child one at a time would be a terrific challenge.Sometimes getting them out of a seat in a normal situation is frustrating. Their feet get caught, sometimes 2 different buckles on their seats get stubborn, and a host of other circumstances could evolve. Like the seatbelts... [which most of the time save lives, can also cause serious injury] the car seats can also protect the babies from serious impact... or they can contribute to their deaths by the very confinement that usually protects them. Car fires are swift, unrelenting and can be death traps. To imply that a parent didn't try hard enough is outrageous. No one is a match against that kind of a situation. It is indeed a tragedy.
OhNo

Buffalo, NY

#13 Aug 19, 2007
Dan Beam wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have seen the actually scene or where present at the scene then you would have seen that another motorist litereally had to pull the mother off off the vehicle as she would have gone right with here kids if she would have been able to. Its very unfortunate that the news or papers dont go into exact detail of the whole story but only hit bits and peices about the story. The man litereally had to pull her from the vehicle as she had to watch the pain and suffering of my neices.
Noted and understand. Let me first say again that I meant no disrespect to the mother, I just presented in hypothetical form, a thought I have had many times. It is unfortunate that the stories presented to the public usually are vague and void of important details. So sad and heartbreaking. I hope the mother has lots of support behind her.
OhNo

Buffalo, NY

#14 Aug 19, 2007
A Grandma wrote:
My prayers are with this young mother and the whole family. I can't even imagine living with the flashbacks this poor mother will have the rest of her life. If you have never had a car fire you cannot realize the extreme heat the metal radiates nearly instantly. Couple that with plastic and upholstery, you cannot see thru thick black smoke nor breathe the fumes, they are so intense.Then thirdly, groping for the HOT buckles to loosen 2 babies in separate car seats on either side of the back seat and remove a screaming child one at a time would be a terrific challenge.Sometimes getting them out of a seat in a normal situation is frustrating. Their feet get caught, sometimes 2 different buckles on their seats get stubborn, and a host of other circumstances could evolve. Like the seatbelts...[which most of the time save lives, can also cause serious injury] the car seats can also protect the babies from serious impact... or they can contribute to their deaths by the very confinement that usually protects them. Car fires are swift, unrelenting and can be death traps. To imply that a parent didn't try hard enough is outrageous. No one is a match against that kind of a situation. It is indeed a tragedy.
Your post has many good points but ma'am, please read mine again, I was not directing my thought/question to THIS mother. It was just a question that has entered my mind many times.
OhNo

Buffalo, NY

#15 Aug 19, 2007
OK, again for the 5th time. I meant no disrespect to THIS mother. It is and was a terrible loss for her. I have experienced the loss of a younger brother so I sort of know how it is in a way. Please forget what I said if it bothers you soo. It was just something I had thought about on many occassions as I am a parent myself. We are allowed free thought and speech right? Let's move on please.
stay-puff

United States

#16 Aug 19, 2007
did they bring marshmallows?

Buffalo, NY

#17 Aug 19, 2007
And you people want to get on me about what i posted? nice.
trickster

Buffalo, NY

#18 Aug 19, 2007
OhNoNO wrote:
And you people want to get on me about what i posted? nice.
riiiightt. like what I posted in the thread about the hit and run driver who killed that poor 13 year old. you included ohnono.

Buffalo, NY

#19 Aug 19, 2007
trickster wrote:
<quoted text>
riiiightt. like what I posted in the thread about the hit and run driver who killed that poor 13 year old. you included ohnono.
How you said what you did made no sense. That's why alot of others replied to it and all had the SAME reaction. Ever think that you're not as smart as you think you are and you should have worded your post better? You know, so anyone other than you would know what you're talking about. In my case here, readers just saw what they wanted to and ran with it.
trickster

Buffalo, NY

#20 Aug 19, 2007
OhNoNO wrote:
<quoted text>
How you said what you did made no sense. That's why alot of others replied to it and all had the SAME reaction. Ever think that you're not as smart as you think you are and you should have worded your post better? You know, so anyone other than you would know what you're talking about. In my case here, readers just saw what they wanted to and ran with it.
again, riiight!
and I explained myself and apologized 7 different times. I ADMITTED that my comment came out wrong.
I never said that I was smart, I said I made a mistake. So get out the f'ing tar and feathers.
And even after I explained and apologized, people, INCLUDING YOU still continued to jump down my throat.
so who is "seeing what they wanted to run away with it?"
They are, and YOU ohno.
so much for YOUR common sense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Savona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Eric Smith gets 4th try for parole next week (Jun '08) Jul 9 Canuck Person 276
Review: Bond Davis Funeral Homes Incorporated Jun '15 noneofyourbeeswax 1
trading phone numbers 18+ and up Jun '15 Mark 3
Where to buy herbal incense here? (Nov '13) Apr '15 josh 6
Hempstead teen heads to Grammy Awards in Los An... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Baltimore Church ... 1
News McEathron Indicted for Kidnapping (Feb '08) Jan '15 concerned citizen 158
News Thurston: 2 charged in tree farm burglary (Jan '13) Apr '13 deb 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Savona Mortgages