What is going on up at the Paper Mill?

Posted in the Savannah Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Ole PawPaw

Cottontown, TN

#1 Jun 24, 2010
I haven't worked up there in years. Used to be a really good place to work. Good managers who let you get away with a little bit of horseplay and such as long as they were not around to witness it. People treated you well and of course they paid well.

I heard ever since IP got involved that that place has been a revolving door on the salary side and everyone walks around with tight buttholes afraid they are going to be the next to get fired. It's a shame if true. If that place ever went under Savannah would dry up on the map.
Whats that smell

Mcminnville, TN

#2 Jun 24, 2010
True, true. As soon as someone figures out how to make paper $5 a ton cheaper in Mexico, our paper mill is gone.
Overheard a good rumor that the man (men?) who own ISR Group is buying the steel mill in Counce. Hope that true, my cousin has been layed off from there a long time.
Savannah business

Cookeville, TN

#3 Jun 24, 2010
Ole PawPaw wrote:
I haven't worked up there in years. Used to be a really good place to work. Good managers who let you get away with a little bit of horseplay and such as long as they were not around to witness it. People treated you well and of course they paid well.
I heard ever since IP got involved that that place has been a revolving door on the salary side and everyone walks around with tight buttholes afraid they are going to be the next to get fired. It's a shame if true. If that place ever went under Savannah would dry up on the map.
ok the only problem with this is I always hear how Savannah would become a ghost town without the paper mill. My business is less than 1% paper mill customers and I have a good business. For what ever reason the younger workers ( working last 10 yrs there) for the most part are broke and hooked on drugs. I have better customers from Clayton homes and other factories. And I do not care if Pickwick never grows from this point but one thing is or sure if the Paper mill closed down Pickwick would grow fast.
Big Ed

Olive Branch, MS

#4 Jun 25, 2010
Ole PawPaw wrote:
Yep, that is what I hear, Salary folks are threatened and never know who will bw next. What is the problem I wonder? Still good pay for this area and we need to keep it that is for sure. I think the younger generation that is working there now like everywhere else may not know how well they have it. Anyone with a job is lucky to have one right now. I bet the hourly folks don't worry as much because they whine about everything and get pretty much what they want. Maybe they will figure it out soon.
LeRoy

United States

#5 Jun 25, 2010
Ole PawPaw wrote:
Savannah had been around for over 100 years, before the cancer mill was built! After RAPING our lands, and polluting the air we breathe, for over 50 years, it's time to weld the doors shut on this defiling cesspool! You made good money, but did yoou ever ride out in the RAPED hills, to see where your paycheck come from? I thought not! How much oil and diesel, do you think, has been absorbed into the ground in this county? We people who live out where the land is denuded, by the thousands of acres, suffer from the devastating effects, of your paycheck! No hardwoods to hold back the torrents when we get flashfloods! I hope the assholes who own this Co. keep the good ole boys, on their toes!
Smells like money

United States

#6 Jun 25, 2010
Savannah business wrote:
<quoted text>
ok the only problem with this is I always hear how Savannah would become a ghost town without the paper mill. My business is less than 1% paper mill customers and I have a good business. For what ever reason the younger workers ( working last 10 yrs there) for the most part are broke and hooked on drugs. I have better customers from Clayton homes and other factories. And I do not care if Pickwick never grows from this point but one thing is or sure if the Paper mill closed down Pickwick would grow fast.
you must not no how to tell one drug addict from another.just as many at or more at claytons. would like to no what type of small business you are running.
LeRoy

United States

#7 Jun 25, 2010
Savannah business wrote:
<quoted text>
I will give you an AMEN to that! I hate driving through "The Cesspool" in front of the mill! Counce looks like, MAD MAX, has been thru there! Pine limbs, mud holes, grease, and the damn pine haulers stacked in every lot! This is what the casual tourist, first sees, when getting to Pick Wick! Close that bitch down!
Mill Worker

United States

#8 Jun 25, 2010
If you don't like it, get your ass out of town. Move somewhere else, because the mill is here to stay. Your attitude is stirring up a bigger stink than the paper mill ever has.
mill worker 2

United States

#9 Jun 25, 2010
I Agree!

Since: Apr 09

Byhalia, MS

#10 Jun 25, 2010
I think, someone, needs to, learn how, to properly use, commas.
LeRoy

United States

#11 Jun 25, 2010
Mill Worker wrote:
If you don't like it, get your ass out of town. Move somewhere else, because the mill is here to stay. Your attitude is stirring up a bigger stink than the paper mill ever has.
I never made a dime in this county, from 79 on! I rode a towboat for 30 years, an I figure I got a right to BITCH! Trouble with you millers, you got so use to the big money, an the big houses, with the BIG payments, that if you miss any overtime you gotta run to Hardin Co. Bank! You come out here right now in this flashflood we just had, in the country, and see the effects of your big pay checks! The county grader just went down the road, I guess to repair another washed out road, caused by all the water comming off the DENUDED hills out here! Weld the doors shut!
F U Leroy

United States

#12 Jun 25, 2010
I'm sure that raggedy ass towboat never polluted any waterways!
get a life

United States

#13 Jun 25, 2010
A PCA executive once told me that the mill would be shuttered within the next 10 years. Apparently it is more economical for the company to start from the ground up and build a brand new factory than to replace the soon-to-be outdated equipment at the Counce Mill. If the mill would've shut down 15 or 20 years ago, Hardin County would have been in serious trouble, but it will survive just fine today. Although a lot of people will be out of jobs, the local tourism industry will benefit exponentially if that were to happen.
huh

Byhalia, MS

#14 Jun 25, 2010
kcaz wrote:
I think, someone, needs to, learn how, to properly use, commas.

Why?? this is NOT a English class, grammar class ,essay, paper or book for that matter. I was in the spelling bee every yr in school unless i did not want to be. I realized Grammar & English class was a total waste of TIME! This is a chat forum retard! where slang is more common than your english lesson.We have spell check now.

Since: Apr 09

Byhalia, MS

#15 Jun 25, 2010
Ha, now that's funny. I'm the retard? Hilarious stuff. Really man, you should try stand-up.
Get serious

Byhalia, MS

#16 Jun 25, 2010
huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?? this is NOT a English class, grammar class ,essay, paper or book for that matter. I was in the spelling bee every yr in school unless i did not want to be. I realized Grammar & English class was a total waste of TIME! This is a chat forum retard! where slang is more common than your english lesson.We have spell check now.
So you thought Grammar & English were a waste of time?(Most of the people on this forum must have felt the same way) Well if you want anyone to take you serious write something people can read. Your grammar sucks! Looks to me like you are the retard. You haven't used slang at all, you've only used terrible punctuation.(Use your grammatical checker, if you know where to find it) kcaz you hit the nail on the head.
Sav Biz

Jackson, TN

#17 Jun 25, 2010
Smells like money wrote:
<quoted text>
you must not no how to tell one drug addict from another.just as many at or more at claytons. would like to no what type of small business you are running.
It is a small biz (which does good) and you could not drag me out of it to work at the paper mill. It does not smell like money to me!
LeRoy

United States

#18 Jun 25, 2010
F U Leroy wrote:
I'm sure that raggedy ass towboat never polluted any waterways!
I was a engineer, an I've taken on 1000's upon 1000's of diesel, and never caused a sheen on the water! If a towboat on the inland waterways, causes a sheen on the water, you have to call the COAST GUARD! Who do you millers call when the river is in flood, and you by pass the skim ponds, and run your waste water, laced with black liquor, and sulfuric acid, straight into the river! You talk your stuff, your used to the big bucks, but you think you are too good to catch a towboat? Think of what this county would look like if all the hardwoods had never been clear cut! You know they poison whatever hardwoods, are standing after they clearcut? You wanna try to convince me of one good thing that comes out of that cesspool, besides your big check?
LeRoy

United States

#19 Jun 25, 2010
Mill Worker wrote:
You breathe deep next time you walking in tha mill, and when your running yo big truck through the wash, you oughta think if this shit eats the paint off my truck, whats it doing to my lungs?! If that mill closed tomorrow, millers would be lining up to jump off the river bridge! Or maybe you could catch a towboat!
F U Leroy

United States

#20 Jun 25, 2010
Sure there's never been a leaking ass towboat on the river, and there's never been one that's slammed into bridges. What about all the dredging that has to be done to maintain river channels? That's probably good for the enviroment, not to mention all the bank erosion that comes from barge wakes! So stop your crying about the papermill, your job wasn't any damn better than mine!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Savannah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Johnny justice 2 min Vance 1
Where's the best BBQ within 30 minutes or so of... 24 min Peter Longwood 11
lets be honest 2 hr hoodrat 5
Do you love your heritage? Do you love your race? 2 hr Your all NAZIS 45
Teen Challenge 3 hr lynn 2
Bramdon Tacker (Chase) 3 hr Woman who knows h... 3
White trash in Savannah 4 hr Tony 25
massimo utv (Jan '13) Aug 15 Carl 232

Savannah Jobs

More from around the web