Adamsville or Hardin County Schools

Adamsville or Hardin County Schools

Posted in the Savannah Forum

Since: Dec 08

Memphis, TN

#1 Jan 5, 2009
Looking to move to Savannah area, before we narrow down houses, could you give me your opinion on the above schools and why. We have a 9 year old 4th grader.
Thanks for your help.
Nashville Native

United States

#2 Jan 6, 2009
There isn't much in the way of schools in Adamsville to choose from. If a quality education, lots of choices, prime location, great educators, super curriculum, etc... is what you seek for your child then I would suggest Hardin County Middle School for the advantages it offers.

It's one of the newer schools, has a first rate success rate of passing students with high academic achievement & many offerings the other schools just cannot compete with. Best of Luck wherever you decide to send your child. Welcome to the Savannah area!

Since: May 08

Chicago, IL

#3 Jan 6, 2009
Ooops! Here's the right link to the most up-to-date Tennessee Schools Report Card.

http://tennessee.gov/education/reportcard/ind...

Chicago, IL

#4 Jan 6, 2009
For an objective viewpoint as far as academics, check out the Tennessee Report Card:

http://www.k-12.state.tn.us/rptcrd05/

You should know Hardin County is now tentatively planning to replace five of its old elementary schools which are being held together with chewing gum and baling wire.
One new 800-student elementary school will be built. An existing elementary school will be upsized to handle 800 students. Construction is to be completed by fall 2010.
By that time your child probably would be attending the middle school in Hardin County, which is also slated for renovations by 2010.
Adamsville's lone elementary school, as well as its junior-senior high school, are both significantly smaller than their circa 2010 Hardin County counterparts, but relatively well-maintained.
It should be noted the Adamsville schools draw a fair number of students from Hardin County west of the Tennessee River which divides the county both physically and to some degree, politically. Many Hardin County parents who send their children to Adamsville profess that discipline and the academic atmosphere are superior in Adamsville.
If you choose to live in Hardin County, you will have to pay a small tuition to send your child to Adamsville. Also, be aware that Adamsville's enrollment is limited, with preference given to McNairy County residents.
Hardin County High School was extensively renovated a decade ago and probably has some course offerings not available at Adamsville Junior-Senior High, especially in the vocational-technical area.
tammie

Savannah, TN

#5 Jan 7, 2009
I SAY ADAMSVILLE IS A GREAT SCHOOL MY KIDS GO THERE THEY LOVE IT THEY BOTH GET ALL A'S. ADAMSVILLE MAY NOT HAVE A MUCH TO OFFER AS HARDIN COUNTY, BUT WE DO NOT HAVE A BIG DRUG PROBLEM LIKE HARDIN COUNTY DOES OR DO WE HAVE A STUDENT'S TO SHOT THEMSELF IN THE BATHROOM AT SCHOOL OR HAVE A HIT LIST OF NAMES OF STUDENTS TO WHOM SOME OF THE STUDENTS WHO LIKE TO KILL OR HURT.

Chicago, IL

#6 Jan 8, 2009
Here's the latest from The Courier newspaper, www.courieranywhere.com , on the Hardin County school construction and renovation program.

In after deadline news, the Hardin County Board of Education rejected a $34.8 million proposal that would have combined students from five closing elementary schools into two 800-student mega-schools.
One new school would have been built on property behind Wal-Mart. Parris South Elementary would have been expanded to also handle 800 students.
Instead, board members voted 8-2 Tuesday night to go with a $38.5 million plan that will construct two new 550-student schools that can be expanded to each serve another 100 students. It also includes funding for major upgrades for the schools not slated for closure.
However, the plan is outside the $35 million target the board hoped to hit and raises the possibility of a county property tax increase.
Thirty-five million dollars is the amount school officials say can be financed using proceeds from the 1 cent local sales tax traditionally allocated for education.
“This is the plan we worked on and felt was best for the students,” said board member Janie Milender in making the motion for the two new school plan.
“It gives the opportunity our students need,” said board member David Baker,“and it seems to be the plan the majority of our educators favor.”
With all 10 board members present, Ron Ashe of the Walnut Grove and Burnt Church area, and Sue Bromley of the West Hardin Elementary School area cast the dissenting votes.
Board Chairman David Long said school officials had “gotten a little off track” by focusing so much on staying within the $35 million target box.
“It is not our responsibility to say the funding is not there. I’m all for giving that plan a shot in front of the county commission” this month, he said.“It is very important that we get this right because we’re making a decision for decades to come.”
Long said Wednesday morning that a property tax hike of 8 to 10 cents will cover the less than $4 million difference between the two-school and the mega-school plan.
“Most counties,” he said,“if they could build it with this kind of a property tax increase, would be happy to do it.”
By the same 8-2 vote, the school board also rejected a $26.3 million proposal by Ashe to return to a 1997 plan that would construct a replacement for North Elementary School and keep Walnut Grove, Whites, Nixon and Walker elementary schools open. The proposal included $500,000 Ashe claimed would be sufficient to address fire and handicap access issues at the four facilities.
According to Hardin County Director of Schools John Thomas, Long and an architect retained by the board, Ashe vastly low-balled the amount needed to renovate the four schools.
Bromley said her vote did not reflect a desire to do nothing about addressing the other significant facility needs at the schools, including West Hardin.
“I’m for the students and I’m for the parents and for what’s right. I’ve been for North having a new school the whole way through,” she said.
kim

Savannah, TN

#7 Jan 9, 2009
Adamsville School rocks, It a great school. We also have a Dare program. I know first hand Hardin Co. Does not have Dare.
Aircum

Collierville, TN

#8 Jan 9, 2009
Thanks so much for everyone's help. Please keep it coming
Dewayne from Walnut Grove

Blue Eye, MO

#9 Jan 9, 2009
Walnut Grove has the Top report card of Hardin or Adamsville Ele schools.The was just AWARDED THE BLUE AWARD.It south of savannah on 69 south,come see what you think of our community school.
mes

Johnson City, TN

#10 Jan 12, 2009
Walnut Grove is a good school, but they might be closing the door on it and buliding a new one so it will not be Walnut Grove anymore.
Rita

Johnson City, TN

#11 Jan 12, 2009
Both are pretty good school, but if I had to pick it would be Adamsville. Because they do not have a drug problem, they also have the Dare program. to help keep kids off drugs, Adamsville might have as many classes to offer as Hardin Co. But you need to ask yourself What's more inportant. I know your child eduaction is plus keeping them off drugs. Adamsville can give them both. Can Hardin co? I said go an see both schools,plus the high schools and see for yourdelf first hand. Just remember what someone said Adamsville kids do not have a hit list like Hardin Co.
in the middle

Johnson City, TN

#12 Jan 12, 2009
What ever school you pick, may God be in the you choice.Just ask God to help you and you will make the right choice.May God Bless you and Welcome Adamsville or Savannah. What ever your choice is.
Dewayne from Walnut Grove

Blue Eye, MO

#13 Jan 14, 2009
My dad aways said,WHY CLOSE SOMETHING THAT IS WORKING!SHAME ON THE SAVANNAHENS FROM TAKING THIS COMMUNITY SCHOOLS. THIS GUM AND BAILING WIRE SCHOOLS ARE THE HEARTS OF THIS COMMUNITYS.IF THIS PASSES ITS THE END OFF OUR COMMUNITYS OUTSIDE OF BIG BEUTAFUL SAVANNAH.PLEASE COME HELP US FIGHT THURSDAY NIGHT AND TUEDAY NIGHT AT 6:00 TO VOTE NO!!!!!!!!
renee

Savannah, TN

#14 Jan 15, 2009
God bless you, May you pick the right school for you kids.
barry38372

Memphis, TN

#15 Jan 27, 2009
all i know is there is land on cravens rd, mow called cravens dr, and its wide open plus there are two ways to enter from the intersection of cranves and northwood drive ,plus the kids would not be bused 2 or more miles to go to school
Sure

Jackson, TN

#16 Aug 12, 2010
Hc all the way
hmmm

Waterloo, Canada

#17 Aug 13, 2010
Well... Everyone has their own opinion of course mine go to ADAMSVILLE. And had previously gone to a shelby county school and a private school. I must say I am impressed with the teachers the programs they have. And know students from Hardin and McNairy moving over to Adamsville. We gained over 100. Students just this year alone most from the other 2 schools and I have personally talked to a few parents that are moving over this year and next...(YEAH WERE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOX) LOL! But hears good and bad on all.. So just check them out and ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS especially about some of the students and teachers... Mine drive about 20-25 mins out of the way to go there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Savannah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rhea Morris 42 min Sally may 6
Atty Terry Dicus (Apr '16) 2 hr crazier than most 17
ashley matlock (Jan '11) 6 hr Cyndi 48
Krista Crow 7 hr HIGG 7
Craigslist (Jul '10) 19 hr Greg 10
What you know about Michael C Johnston Thu thatguy 4
free race Thu #TrumpNation 4

Savannah Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance