|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Farrell Landon wrote:
<quoted text>
Cornbread
It's good with Chili. You need to stay away from the Chili though. Seriously.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

ChicknButt wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeb might not be on right now so I'll cover for him:
"A U.S. military veteran commits suicide every 65 minutes, on average, according to a recent study from the Department of Veterans Affairs."
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/u-s-...
https://www.va.gov/opa/docs/Suicide-Data-Repo...
Bam!
The article states that most of the suicides are over 50 years of age. I believe I read that correctly. If that's the case, wouldn't most of those be Vietnam soldiers? Desert Storm?
I had no idea about this. PTSD, I'm sure.
Yeah, I got bammed on this one.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

ChicknButt wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, that stuff nobody cares about? Obama? Winning!
You are as out of touch as Obama is. Man! Obama is getting grayer by the day. He needs help putting out those fires.
I noticed his handlers got him out of town. lol NO KIDDING.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>

I think the Republcans will take the Senate in 2014. Even if they don't, I'm not worried about another Democrat winning in 2016. Well, barring a miracle, I'm not worried.
LOL! Just wait. You're going to see one serious Democratic campaign, and the Republicans are going to look pretty silly when it's all through. It's going to be the end of that party when most of America decides it's suffered enough by voting Tea Party clowns into office.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

ChicknButt wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's a good think that we have a Republican Congress then. What have they been doing for us Americans lately? Oh. Nothing. That might explain why Boehners Original Gansta Thugs have a 15% approval rating.
lol Good try. Obama ticked them all off with his obvious arrogance. He thought he could run roughshod over everyone. He needed to be humbled and he has been. He was so used to being worshipped for DOING NOTHING BUT SHOWING UP and when he started hearing, "NOPE", he showed his tail. If nothing else, that renegade is learning some humilty. He won't admit it(it's a liberal thing), but he is. He should be thanking Congress.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
The article states that most of the suicides are over 50 years of age. I believe I read that correctly. If that's the case, wouldn't most of those be Vietnam soldiers? Desert Storm?
A lot of it comes from financial problems and VA runaround.

It's too bad Congress voted down the Veterans Jobs Bill on the same day last September when they approved the Stop the War on Coal Act which benefited some of the richest men in the nation. We see where the Republican Congress' priorities lie.

It's pathetic. There's real consequences that come from voting Republican.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

ChicknButt wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! Just wait. You're going to see one serious Democratic campaign, and the Republicans are going to look pretty silly when it's all through. It's going to be the end of that party when most of America decides it's suffered enough by voting Tea Party clowns into office.
No. Obama has the meanest and most long reaching machine, but he is not doing very well. I don't think Hillary will run now. The democrats will be demoralized. This country has had enough of Obama with what is going on right now. He may not be to blame, but it's on his watch. Seriously, this isn't good. You now it, Chicken. If Obama were a conservative, you would be claiming impeachment in the works. That's why I don't take any of you seriously. You are "right fighters". You don't care what the cost.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

It's also worth pointing out this little tidbit about the "Stop the War on Coal" bill:

New fuel economy standards that cut tailpipe emissions -- set for model years 2017-2025 -- would be gutted by the act. So would the EPA's ability to regulate gases blamed for global warming. A 2007 Supreme Court ruling cleared the EPA to regulate greenhouse gases under its authority to control air pollutants, but the legislation amends the Clean Air Act to preclude ANY taxes or REGULATIONS on greenhouse gases.

AMENDS THE CLEAN ARE ACT TO PRECLUDE ANY REGULATIONS ON GREENHOUSE GASSES - Republicans voted unanimously for that bill.

My child asked me "Daddy, how come Speaker Boehner doesn't want me to breath clean air when I grow up?". How do you answer a question like that?

There's real consequences that come from voting Republican.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

^^^^ CLEAN AIR ACT - I type too fast for my own good sometimes.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

ChicknButt wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot of it comes from financial problems and VA runaround.
It's too bad Congress voted down the Veterans Jobs Bill on the same day last September when they approved the Stop the War on Coal Act which benefited some of the richest men in the nation. We see where the Republican Congress' priorities lie.
It's pathetic. There's real consequences that come from voting Republican.
Remember when Obama wanted them to pay for their healthcare? I don't remember that going over very well. Yeah, there are real consequences that come from voting Democrat,too.
BTW, that jobs bill was covered in several other bills that had already been passed. That latest bill was redundant. You didn't think I knew that, huh?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think Hillary will run now.
Hillary, Biden - whoever. They've got it covered. Hell, we might just make an amendment that lets Bill run. You'd see 90% of the popular vote go his way.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Heck, we'll flip Christie and run him as as a lean, mean example of how healthy Democratic policies are.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

I'm outta here. Night.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

ChicknButt wrote:
It's also worth pointing out this little tidbit about the "Stop the War on Coal" bill:
New fuel economy standards that cut tailpipe emissions -- set for model years 2017-2025 -- would be gutted by the act. So would the EPA's ability to regulate gases blamed for global warming. A 2007 Supreme Court ruling cleared the EPA to regulate greenhouse gases under its authority to control air pollutants, but the legislation amends the Clean Air Act to preclude ANY taxes or REGULATIONS on greenhouse gases.
AMENDS THE CLEAN ARE ACT TO PRECLUDE ANY REGULATIONS ON GREENHOUSE GASSES - Republicans voted unanimously for that bill.
My child asked me "Daddy, how come Speaker Boehner doesn't want me to breath clean air when I grow up?". How do you answer a question like that?
There's real consequences that come from voting Republican.
lol More liberal gobblygook.
Tell you son that he shouldn't believe all the propaganda his daddy tells him.
I wonder why Obama didn't use HIS POWER to VETO that bill???? Guess he doesn't care.
Farrell Landon

Beaufort, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

ChicknButt wrote:
<quoted text>
It's good with Chili. You need to stay away from the Chili though. Seriously.
You gotta embrace it. Eat chili, blow a** as hard as humanly possible
jeb stuart

Cordele, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
no syn, I will try to answer better tomorrow but many were nat. guard types,pressed into duty by the Iraq war.but I will get back to you about this.
Oh my

Young Harris, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
...All Christians that I know simply want the hostility to end towards any public displays. No one is claiming you have to be a Christian, but this is still a 73-78% Christian nation based on three polls and the US Census. How about a little tolerance for those who think children should still be able to sing Christmas songs in school and have Christmas programs - especially if they are limited to purely secular ones about Santa Claus. And how does it hurt anyone if the local fire station wants to put up a Nativity scene and a Menorah on their property?
The horrors, Christians are so victimized, the open hostility is everywhere you turn, private property and church property aren't enough to display our religious celebrations, why heck, we'll even leave some space for the Jews.

I. May schools display religious symbols during Christmas?

YES. Several federal district courts have ruled that under certain circumstances, it is permissible for a public school to display religious holiday symbols in school calendars and in holiday displays. For example, a district court in New Jersey directly addressed this issue in Clever v. Cherry Hill Twp., 838 F. Supp. 929 (D.N.J. 1993). In Clever, the plaintiffs challenged a school policy that provided for religious symbols to be used in school calendars and in a Christmas display. After noting the importance of context and the absence of denominational preference, the court upheld the policy:

Christmas and Chanukah are celebrated as cultural and national holidays as well as religious ones, and there is simply no constitutional doctrine which would forbid school children from sharing in that celebration, provided that these celebrations do not constitute an unconstitutional endorsement of religion and are consistent with a school’s secular educational mission.

II. Are students allowed to sing Christmas carols with religious themes at school events or in holiday programs?

YES. The Establishment Clause does not prevent the singing of Christmas carols with religious origins by public school choirs. A case that addressed this specific issue upheld the singing of religious Christmas carols in public schools. In Florey v. Sioux Falls School District, 619 F.2d 1311 (8th Cir. 1980), the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit held that the study and performance of religious songs, including Christmas carols, are constitutional if their purpose is the “advancement of the students’ knowledge of society’s cultural and religious heritage, as well as the provision of an opportunity for students to perform a full range of music, poetry and drama that is likely to be of interest to the students and their audience.”

III. Can schools teach about the biblical origins of Christmas and Easter?

YES. In Stone v. Graham, 449 U.S. 39, 42 (1980), the Supreme Court stated that “the Bible may constitutionally be used in an appropriate study of history, civilization, ethics, comparative religion, or the like.” Therefore, it would be constitutional for a public school teacher to have students study Biblical passages that relate to Christmas (e.g., Matthew 1:18-2:22, Luke 2:1-20) if the purpose was to study the historical or literary significance of the passages. In considering the type of activities that are appropriate in public schools, the federal appeals court in Florey stated,“[w]e view the term ‘study’ to include more than mere classroom instruction; public performance may be a legitimate part of secular study.”

IV. Are students permitted to write about the origin of Christmas and the birth of Jesus or other religious sentiments in school assignments?

YES. A student’s private religious speech is protected by the First Amendment, so long as that speech does not “‘materially or substantially interfere with school discipline.’”
Oh my

Young Harris, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Judged:

Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
I think it pretty obvious they were not looking at it as a "religion" option, they were just asked if "creationism" should be taught -do not try to infer more than is there to make you feel better about the result. And the decision of one judge is hardly the standard to which the validity of Intelligent Design should or shall be determined.
Yes, please teach us all about the dangers of inferring more than is really there, you have such a history of caution and restraint when jumping to a conclusion.

It's only the decision of one judge, too bad it was a public trial and the testimony is available to any and all, and any schoold district foolish enough to take that path again will need to clear the hurdles set by that trial. Oh wait, what was it that was shown in that trial, nothing more than the fact that ID is simply rebranded Creationism.
Danger Zone

Social Circle, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Judged:

Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
Classy. Real classy.
I'm not a name caller, but, to be attacked, I refuse to sit idylly by & take it. I'll take the high road next time. He can vomit or call me names, I refuse to stoop as low as him. Today is a new day.
Danger Zone

Mcdonough, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Judged:

Obama isn't so tolerant of religious rights & freedom.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/01/16/oba...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Savannah Discussions

Search the Savannah Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for missing uncle. Wed Adams 1
Presiding Bishop speaks at Christ Church Jul 21 Listen to the Word 1
Review: Abbott, Greg DDS - Greg Abbott DDS (Jul '10) Jul 21 anon 10
Debate: Marijuana - Savannah, GA (Aug '10) Jul 21 H.Harrison 47
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) Jul 16 what 2,045
Review: David M. Nelson MD (Feb '11) Jul 14 Char 81 45
Teen Challenge Exposed! (Jul '07) Jul 13 Patty M 140
•••
•••
•••
•••

Savannah Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Savannah People Search