Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia in 2010?

Posted in the Savannah Forum

Comments (Page 306)

Showing posts 6,101 - 6,120 of47,846
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Bored

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...
The Mercatus Center was founded and is funded by the Koch Family Foundations. According to financial records, the Koch family has contributed more than thirty million dollars to George Mason, much of which has gone to the Mercatus Center, a nonprofit organization. Democratic strategist Rob Stein described the Mercatus Center as "ground zero for deregulation policy in Washington.”
The Mercatus Center has engaged in campaigns involving deregulation, especially environmental deregulation. It now fills the role once played by the economics department at Chicago University as the originator of extreme neoliberal ideas. Fourteen of the 23 regulations that George W Bush put on his hitlist were, according to the Wall Street Journal, first suggested by academics working at the Mercatus Centre.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercatus_Center
The Mercatus Center was founded by Rich Fink as the Center for the Study of Market Processes at Rutgers University. After the Koch family provided more than thirty million dollars[2] to George Mason University, the Center moved to George Mason in the mid-1980s before assuming its current name in 1999.[2] The Mercatus Center is a 501(c)3 non-profit and does not receive support from George Mason University or any federal, state or local government, but rather is entirely funded through donations, including some from companies like Koch Industries[3] and ExxonMobil,[4] individual donors and foundations. As of 2011, the Center shows that 58% of its funding comes from foundations, 40% from individuals, and 2% from businesses.

And your point?
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
In my opinion, none of your questions have anything to do with the purpose or intent of the theory of Intelligent Design. I am unaware of any attempt to identify the "Designer." The theory is simply an acknowledgement that there is no other theory to explain how the complexities that are apparent in life on this planet could occur by chance. As one scientific philosopher said about the theory of Evolution : "The Theory is "not testable", but "metaphysical." Evolution claims the transition from one species to the next (macroevolution), but cannot explain where the original species came from. Along with the desire for Intelligent Design to be taught, it should be a simple matter of academic integrity that the theory of Evolution be taught as that - a theory. It cannot be proven, it cannot even be demonstrated in the fossil record....
So, tell us (in your opinion), who is the Designer, by what process does it design, can this process be observed and replicated, as a theory what does it predict.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconcep...
...There is probably no other statement which is a better indication that the arguer doesn't understand evolution. Chance certainly plays a large part in evolution, but this argument completely ignores the fundamental role of natural selection, and selection is the very opposite of chance. Chance, in the form of mutations, provides genetic variation, which is the raw material that natural selection has to work with. From there, natural selection sorts out certain variations. Those variations which give greater reproductive success to their possessors (and chance ensures that such beneficial mutations will be inevitable) are retained, and less successful variations are weeded out. When the environment changes, or when organisms move to a different environment, different variations are selected, leading eventually to different species. Harmful mutations usually die out quickly, so they don't interfere with the process of beneficial mutations accumulating.

Nor is abiogenesis (the origin of the first life) due purely to chance. Atoms and molecules arrange themselves not purely randomly, but according to their chemical properties. In the case of carbon atoms especially, this means complex molecules are sure to form spontaneously, and these complex molecules can influence each other to create even more complex molecules. Once a molecule forms that is approximately self-replicating, natural selection will guide the formation of ever more efficient replicators. The first self-replicating object didn't need to be as complex as a modern cell or even a strand of DNA. Some self-replicating molecules are not really all that complex (as organic molecules go).

...Calling the theory of evolution "only a theory" is, strictly speaking, true, but the idea it tries to convey is completely wrong. The argument rests on a confusion between what "theory" means in informal usage and in a scientific context. A theory, in the scientific sense, is "a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena" [Random House American College Dictionary]. The term does not imply tentativeness or lack of certainty. Generally speaking, scientific theories differ from scientific laws only in that laws can be expressed more tersely. Being a theory implies self-consistency, agreement with observations, and usefulness.(Creationism fails to be a theory mainly because of the last point; it makes few or no specific claims about what we would expect to find, so it can't be used for anything. When it does make falsifiable predictions, they prove to be false.)
Glorya

Snellville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Boo Hoo, Boo Hoo, somebody else is playing in your "private" sandbox at the public playground.
By all means, jump in this public sandbox. Speak your mind, speak your peace and you don't have to be in witch mode from the very, very beginning to do it. No puzzles to solve, no runes or decoding necessary. Boo hooing not allowed on the playground.
Bored

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Glorya wrote:
<quoted text> By all means, jump in this public sandbox. Speak your mind, speak your peace and you don't have to be in witch mode from the very, very beginning to do it. No puzzles to solve, no runes or decoding necessary. Boo hooing not allowed on the playground.

Apparently she never speaks her mind, only posts some links but never gives her thoughts about the link. Go figure.

Oh my

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Synergy wrote:
<quoted text> http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
As intelligent as you apparently think you are, you should have determined that by now. Look at whom the republicans ran. SERIOUSLY?????? Another poster pointed that out and I started thinking about it. It made NO SENSE that Obama(with no qualifications to speak of) could possibly win unless he wasn't actually challenged. McCain/Palin(who?) ticket was insane and easily beat. Another loser had to run the second time because Obama had done a TERRIBLE job, but he HAD to be reelected. That would take care of the racial issue EXCEPT under Obama's reign, race relations have regressed by YEARS and just to make it interesting, the classes and parties are more divided than ever.
I suspect you actually believe this gobblygook.

Course it's certainly more soothing than accepting the fact that the rightward track of the GOP had finally gone too far, so far that even a black man could become president (twice). Can you imagine the nation electing a black man (twice), it MUST be the result of unseen powers that be, any rational explanation is simply too frightening.

There wouldn't be ANY racial animosity if everyone were white, it's all those OTHER folks that create the racists. Tell us the second verse of the sad refrain.
Glorya

Snellville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Bored wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently she never speaks her mind, only posts some links but never gives her thoughts about the link. Go figure.
Maybe, she'll loosen up.
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good grief, are you truly that ignorant? Any time someone sells their house for a profit that is a capital gain...
Tell us, how often do the majority of home sellers sell their home - daily, weekly, yearly. Would you term such sellers as Active Investors with excess capital seeking investment opportunities. The high turnover rate for this type of investment is what led to the establishment of 1031 Exchanges, to capture all those gains that were so easily acquired.
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Aggie23 wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/cit y/blairsville-ga/T2SSBLTA3OGD9 9SCL/post6501
^^^^And Obama himself acknowledged in an interview with Charlie Gibson that decreasing taxes increased the amount of revenue that the government took in. He ADMITTED it. But he then said, but Charlie its a matter of fairness. That should have been headlines everywhere. It didn't matter that lowering taxes would mean more money in the government coffers with which to fund programs - it was more important to take money from the "rich" than it was to have more money to "help people." There's your dogmatic Left for you.
Too bad it ain't so...

http://mediamatters.org/research/2008/04/18/g...
During the April 16 Democratic presidential debate, co-moderator and ABC World News anchor Charles Gibson asserted of capital-gains tax cuts that "in each instance, when the rate dropped, revenues from the tax increased. The government took in more money. And in the 1980s, when the tax was increased to 28 percent, the revenues went down." Gibson later asserted that "history shows that when you drop the capital-gains tax, the revenues go up." In fact, Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research, asserted in an April 17 American Prospect blog post addressing Gibson's statements: "[T]he evidence that a capital gains tax cut raises revenue is rather dubious, since most of the apparent increase is likely due to timing: investors delay selling stock when they know a tax cut is imminent. After the cut takes effect, they then declare their gains and pay taxes at the lower rate." Indeed, a Congressional Budget Office (CBO) Revenue and Tax Policy Brief states that "[r]ising gains receipts in response to a rate cut are most likely to occur in the short run" and that investor responses to capital-gains tax cuts in the short term can "mislead observers."

...In addition, numerous economists have said that cuts in capital-gains taxes do not pay for themselves, let alone increase revenue. In an article published in the Journal of Public Economics, N. Gregory Mankiw -- former chairman of President Bush's Council of Economic Advisers -- and Matthew Weinzierl asked, "To what extent does a tax cut pay for itself?" Mankiw and Weinzierl concluded, "In almost all cases, tax cuts are partly self-financing. This is especially true for cuts in capital income taxes" [emphasis added]. Discussing those findings in a 2007 blog post, Mankiw noted, "Matthew Weinzierl and I estimated that a broad-based income tax cut (applying to both capital and labor income) would recoup only about a quarter of the lost revenue through supply-side growth effects. For a cut in capital income taxes, the feedback is larger -- about 50 percent -- but still well under 100 percent." A May 17, 2006, Knight Ridder Newspapers article citing Mankiw's study noted that "paybacks of 50 ... percent still mean a net revenue loss for the Treasury." The article also reported, "Treasury Secretary John Snow conceded Tuesday that the much-touted tax cuts for capital gains and dividend income don't drive today's strong economy. Asked by Knight Ridder if the tax reductions paid for themselves, Snow acknowledged that they don't."
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
...The sinister Obama machine made sure of it. What has he actually done for all his loyal servants?
No need to check your past postings,
your current crop tells the whole story.
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Glorya wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe, she'll loosen up.
Tell us, how do you determine gender in this medium?
Glorya

Snellville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell us, how do you determine gender in this medium?
Guess there is always the possibility of a wicked female witch being trapped inside a man's body. You are very tall with big feet, yeah-highly probable.
Glorya

Snellville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Ask the questions... you'll get answers.
Chicknbutt

Decatur, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Bored wrote:
<quoted text>
And your point?
How can you read that and not get the point?

http://www.centerforliteracy.org/
Chicknbutt

Decatur, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Bill in Dville wrote:
<quoted text>

Oh yeah, don't expect that tax stuff from him/her, it's way beyond his/her comprehension level...
Alright. You're just jumping on a bandwagon now. For the 4th time,(no kidding) I did not promise a "Tax Proposal". I simply said that I would respond to a question in more detail when I had the chance. Then that person acted like an arrogant @ssho1e, and a changed my mind.

SINCE you are so willing to jump on a bandwagon, and SINCE you feel comfortable trying to insult my comprehension level, I have a challenge for YOU!

How about YOU give us a tax proposal, right out of your own head, with all of your superior knowledge.

Don't hide your light under a bushel. Let is shine! Give us a detailed tax plan.

Waiting.....

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect you actually believe this gobblygook.
Course it's certainly more soothing than accepting the fact that the rightward track of the GOP had finally gone too far, so far that even a black man could become president (twice). Can you imagine the nation electing a black man (twice), it MUST be the result of unseen powers that be, any rational explanation is simply too frightening.
There wouldn't be ANY racial animosity if everyone were white, it's all those OTHER folks that create the racists. Tell us the second verse of the sad refrain.
I suspect YOU acturally believe YOUR gobblygook. Just like a clueless lib. THROW DOWN THE RACE CARD. When all else fails. It's null and void and worn out, partner. You libs have GOT to come up with something else now. You STILL use George Bush, so now all you need is a new back up to take the place of the race card.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
No need to check your past postings,
your current crop tells the whole story.
Great! Saved you some work. We ALL know how you libs hate to work.
Doo

Dalton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
Great! Saved you some work. We ALL know how you libs hate to work.
I can out work, eat, curse, smoke, drink and plow more than any Republican ever has and still be more honest. Playing on a computer ain't work! You are on here every day playing brain games....proof you don't work.
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Glorya wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess there is always the possibility of a wicked female witch being trapped inside a man's body. You are very tall with big feet, yeah-highly probable.
So there's no rational basis for your determination at all. Perhaps you can tell us the significance of gender in this gender neutral medium.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Doo wrote:
<quoted text>
I can out work, eat, curse, smoke, drink and plow more than any Republican ever has and still be more honest. Playing on a computer ain't work! You are on here every day playing brain games....proof you don't work.
How do you know I am on here every day unless you are on here, too. lol Oh, the irony.

The first half of your first sentence is certainly no surprise. The last half of your first sentence is just more evidence of your liberal brainwashing. How has Obama helped you specifically?
Glorya

Mcdonough, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
So there's no rational basis for your determination at all. Perhaps you can tell us the significance of gender in this gender neutral medium.
You're worrying & thinking too much about nothing ... I don't care if you're male, female, heterosexual, homosexual or part beast. Most of us aren't ashamed or secretive about our gender. Simple as that is, it DOES NOT matter.... aren't you more worried about the tension in the Korean Peninsula??, it's way more interesting than wondering ONE more second, whether you're a good witch or a bad witch, male or female ... I just don't care.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 6,101 - 6,120 of47,846
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Savannah Discussions

Search the Savannah Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Obama 4 hr Lyle 1
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) Fri Mason II 2,039
Debate: Marijuana - Savannah, GA (Aug '10) Jul 10 Neb 46
Edna Jackson for your reading pleasure Jul 9 Anon 1
Savannah Georgia Jul 3 Sam Curnutte 1
Review: Savannah Rheumatology Assoc - John J Mo... (Apr '10) Jul 1 Gina 8
$15,000 in reward money offered for info in Thu... Jun 28 you know 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Savannah Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000