Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#5127 Mar 25, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>not trying to correct you,aggie.but you do seem to admit that it may not have been a perfect union from the get-go.btw,i am not a progressive,or at least I don't think I am,if all the above info is correct.
The problem with the Progessive agenda (in my opinion) is that on paper, it can sound very good and reasonable.(I am talking about how current Progressives describe it, not as explained so well in the posts quoting the Heritage article.) How do you argue with helping people in need, how do you argue that everyone should have a house of their own (the housing crisis was a consequence of Democrat policies regardless of how people try to blame it on Bush), everyone should have a gold standard health plan, everyone should have free child care, everyone should have a college education - people should have all of these things - whether OR NOT they can afford it. Sure, in a perfect world, all the above would be great. But this isn't a perfect world, it is a world that follows certain undeniable realities. All of the above items cost money and if the individuals can't afford it, but our government is going to give it to them, SOMEONE must pay for it. And the current system is unsustainable. When 35% of the population receives some form of means tested government aid, as opposed to the 47% that receives a government check of any kind, our economy is in danger. I am a big proponent of "charity begins at home" in the thought that local communities are in a much better situation to help their neighbors. For being a small city, Cartersville has an amazing number of local organizations to help those in need and with much more efficiency than any government program.

Location hidden

#5128 Mar 25, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>ah, but wouldn't 'more perfect' imply that they were trying to improve(or progress)?
My contention would be that they did. If you are basing this solely on how long it took to finally abolish slavery, I would have to agree that it took far too long.

Location hidden

#5129 Mar 25, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Almost nothing asserted in the post above is at all accurate.
This is a classic example of a "Straw Man" argument.
That's where you create an opponent, unfairly and inaccurately imbue in that opponent all sorts of evil traits, then attack the Straw Man claiming he has all those evil traits.
Can't wait to see documentation supporting all those inaccurate assertions about Progressives.
But, don't hold your breath - since none of it's true - that documentation just ain't gonna show.
This is rather funny. You proffer Straw Man arguments often with your rabid attacks on Republicans/Bush/Cheney and the motivations you consistently label them with.

Please point out some of the inaccuracies in the "Progressives" posts, you don't have to list them all, since you claim they are so numerous - sounds like you could easily give us a dozen.

“Marble Man”

Since: Jul 11

Destin, FL

#5130 Mar 25, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem with the Progessive agenda (in my opinion) is that on paper, it can sound very good and reasonable.(I am talking about how current Progressives describe it, not as explained so well in the posts quoting the Heritage article.) How do you argue with helping people in need, how do you argue that everyone should have a house of their own (the housing crisis was a consequence of Democrat policies regardless of how people try to blame it on Bush), everyone should have a gold standard health plan, everyone should have free child care, everyone should have a college education - people should have all of these things - whether OR NOT they can afford it. Sure, in a perfect world, all the above would be great. But this isn't a perfect world, it is a world that follows certain undeniable realities. All of the above items cost money and if the individuals can't afford it, but our government is going to give it to them, SOMEONE must pay for it. And the current system is unsustainable. When 35% of the population receives some form of means tested government aid, as opposed to the 47% that receives a government check of any kind, our economy is in danger. I am a big proponent of "charity begins at home" in the thought that local communities are in a much better situation to help their neighbors. For being a small city, Cartersville has an amazing number of local organizations to help those in need and with much more efficiency than any government program.
The problem with the LWLD's, and government in general, is that they do not want to draw the distinction between "assistance" and "entitled".

Since: Jul 12

Douglasville, GA

#5131 Mar 25, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>wow! does this mean that a the magazine "progressive farmer"(which really came into prominence in the 1930's-altho it was first published in the 1880's)was really a communist-inspired magazine?
Probably not, but trying to down play the facts and trying to belittle me are not changing a thing. So are you a Progressive?
Glorya

Decatur, GA

#5132 Mar 25, 2013
The hawk is flying. We will not tolerate any post which threaten and degrade women. We still have a voice in America and we'll be sure to use it. Each & every time.
Glorya

Decatur, GA

#5133 Mar 25, 2013
posts^
jeb stuart

Savannah, GA

#5134 Mar 25, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
i'd not dare to argue with you about that.but wars cost a bunch of money,too.and not nearly as many people seem to worry about that.btw,whwre did you get your info about Cyprus? I had to go to the ny times to even read about it(I don't like watchin' either fox or cnn.they are a country of about one million-do you really think that are really relevant to our current situation?

Douglasville, GA

#5135 Mar 25, 2013
Progressives wrote:
All of the above posts pretty much describes the progressives of today.
It took me forever to read it as it was pretty windy, more like a first chapter in a book. But well said and hit the nail on the head. A good history lesson for those of us that care. Thanks.

Douglasville, GA

#5136 Mar 25, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
That's where you create an opponent, unfairly and inaccurately imbue in that opponent all sorts of evil traits, then attack the Straw Man claiming he has all those evil traits.
Can't wait to see documentation supporting all those inaccurate assertions about Progressives.
But, don't hold your breath - since none of it's true - that documentation just ain't gonna show.
A statement that I pretty much expected from you. Whats the
matter with you, can't stand the light of day? Progressives always hate the truth and do anything they can to distort it.
Bored

Dawsonville, GA

#5137 Mar 25, 2013
Bigdave1 wrote:
<quoted text>
A statement that I pretty much expected from you. Whats the
matter with you, can't stand the light of day? Progressives always hate the truth and do anything they can to distort it.
He's a progressive which equals Boring.
Informed Opinion

Alva, FL

#5138 Mar 25, 2013
Bigdave1 wrote:
<quoted text>A statement that I pretty much expected from you. Whats the
Still waiting for that documentation.

Otherwise it's simply creating a Straw Man and attacking him. That tactic that gets you an "F" in high school debate class, and as a result not persuasive at all.

It always comes back to those pesky facts, and not including facts simply demonstrates none exist to support the argument.

Location hidden

#5139 Mar 25, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>i'd not dare to argue with you about that.but wars cost a bunch of money,too.and not nearly as many people seem to worry about that.btw,whwre did you get your info about Cyprus? I had to go to the ny times to even read about it(I don't like watchin' either fox or cnn.they are a country of about one million-do you really think that are really relevant to our current situation?
Some are looking at Cyprus as the first domino to fall. Spain and Italy have reportedly also looked at seizing portions of bank deposits to alleviate their own economic problems. So now some are predicting possible runs on banks in those countries by people trying to prevent their savings being confiscated. And the Obama administration has floated the idea of taking over the 401K systems. 401K's are a huge amount of money that the Dems would love to get their hands on. Currently, all they are talking about is mandating employers who don't offer 401ks having to offer a government program 401k -(again, this is all being proposed only)- but given the nationalization of healthcare, is it really such a stretch to presume that if such a government 401k program were established that they would try and make everyone take part in that system rather than private sector 401k's?
jeb stuart

Savannah, GA

#5140 Mar 25, 2013
Bigdave1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably not, but trying to down play the facts and trying to belittle me are not changing a thing. So are you a Progressive?
no dave, I was just tryin' to play on your sense of humor.i respect you and would not belittle you.
Progressives

Dawsonville, GA

#5141 Mar 25, 2013
Here's an informative link from the same website.

http://www.heritage.org/initiatives/first-pri...

Location hidden

#5142 Mar 25, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Still waiting for that documentation.
Otherwise it's simply creating a Straw Man and attacking him. That tactic that gets you an "F" in high school debate class, and as a result not persuasive at all.
It always comes back to those pesky facts, and not including facts simply demonstrates none exist to support the argument.
Still waiting for you to point out any inaccuracies. And are you denying the quotes from leading Progressives are actual quotes? The posts themselves contained documentation, your claiming the documentation isn't there doesn't make it so. So again, show us inaccuracies, otherwise you are continuing to use the Straw Man you are falsely accusing the posts of employing.
jeb stuart

Savannah, GA

#5143 Mar 25, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
My contention would be that they did. If you are basing this solely on how long it took to finally abolish slavery, I would have to agree that it took far too long.
not just that,but that any party,gov't,etc. needs to be willing and and should accept change(so long as it is a benefit to the majority)btw,i have never seen a progressive on a ballot).
jeb stuart

Savannah, GA

#5144 Mar 25, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>not just that,but that any party,gov't,etc. needs to be willing and and should accept change(so long as it is a benefit to the majority)btw,i have never seen a progressive on a ballot).
sorry,but I should said 'so long as it benefits the majority'.

Douglasville, GA

#5145 Mar 25, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>no dave, I was just tryin' to play on your sense of humor.i respect you and would not belittle you.
O.K. You can if you want to, as many others have done. I am used to it and I am also thick skinned up to a certain point. I do have my limits where I draw the line.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#5146 Mar 25, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Your third sentence pretty much describes EXACLY what you extreme libs/progressives do on a daily basis on Topix. Funny how that shoe doesn't feel so good when it's on the other foot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Savannah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Protests continue in West Savannah in wake of o... 1 hr another black cop 1
Review: Intercoastal Auto (Mar '14) Sep 16 Sherri waters 2
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) Sep 15 The WB 2,055
Teen Challenge Exposed! (Jul '07) Sep 8 FearDevil 145
Sex Offender works for Culligan...in and out of... Sep 7 Lady Glock 5
GA Who do you support for Attorney General in Geor... (Oct '10) Sep 5 faisha 186
US Department of Labor encourage work place vio... (Jul '13) Sep 3 We told you 15
•••
•••
Savannah Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Savannah Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Savannah People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE