Pack of coyotes sparks concern in San...

Pack of coyotes sparks concern in San Rafael

There are 111 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from Jan 3, 2010, titled Pack of coyotes sparks concern in San Rafael. In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

Linda Gattuccio and her two golden retrievers used to enjoy their early-morning walk on the dirt path along the wetlands adjacent to the Marin Lagoon development behind the Embassy Suites hotel in San Rafael.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
BGHOZ

Hayward, CA

#1 Jan 3, 2010
Land recalmation act, by Marin Natives....how's that for headlines in the IJ?
They can follow me on the Marin trails anyday.....
BGHOZ

Hayward, CA

#2 Jan 3, 2010
oh sorry that was re-claimation act....
lmao

Absecon, NJ

#3 Jan 3, 2010
go away already
usandthem

San Mateo, CA

#4 Jan 3, 2010
Posted by Coyote Newswire.
Article by Howell Ng.

Packs of Humans were spotted gathering along former coyote ranges, it was
reported by Burrough resident, Al Fadog. Evidence of increasing human encroachment into habitat has the Burrough Coyote Council concerned. Council Elder and Zoologist Shar P. Fang of the Woof Instutite recommends immediate implementation of emergency nuisance human relocation program. "Relocation of humans to dense metropolitan areas will minimize interraction between indigenous coyotes and the non-native human species.
No humans will be harmed in the relocation program. Every effort will be made to keep established family colonies together," she said.
Professor Barr King has been studying human migration into Marin since 1970. He says the weather is to blame. "The East Coast humans are attracted to Marin's mild climate. Any relocation program will be a temporary stopgap measure, as the weaker humans will eventually return, They don't like to shovel snow," he said.
mary feller

San Rafael, CA

#5 Jan 3, 2010
yep, we have them in Santa Venetia, too. a big healthy coyote darted in front of our car the other night, headed across North San Pedro Rd toward the Civic Center ponds.

oh, boy - if the Marin Lagoon residents think a fog horn is loud, just wait until the SMART train starts blowing its horn early in the morning. The SMART tracks run right past Marin Lagoon.

“ Walking a strait circle”

Since: May 09

novato

#6 Jan 3, 2010
usandthem wrote:
Article by Howell Ng.
reported by Burrough resident, Al Fadog. Evidence of increasing human encroachment into habitat has the Burrough Coyote Council concerned. Council Elder and Zoologist Shar P. Fang of the Woof Instutite recommends immediate implementation of emergency nuisance human relocation program. "Relocation of humans to dense metropolitan areas will minimize interraction between indigenous coyotes and the non-native human species.
No humans will be harmed in the relocation program. Every effort will be made to keep established family colonies together," she said.
Professor Barr King has been studying human migration into Marin since 1970. He says the weather is to blame. "The East Coast humans are attracted to Marin's mild climate. Any relocation program will be a temporary stopgap measure, as the weaker humans will eventually return, They don't like to shovel snow," he said.
Sweet

“Taste great in milk!”

Since: Aug 08

#7 Jan 4, 2010
usandthem wrote:
Article by Howell Ng.
The mighty Red Diaper's right, that's an awesome post.
Coyote

San Anselmo, CA

#8 Jan 4, 2010
Saw a few in Mill Valley this week as well.
Joanna

Menlo Park, CA

#9 Jan 4, 2010
Coyote wrote:
Saw a few in Mill Valley this week as well.
Finally! Something will eat all those rats that run across Miller Avenue. Not to mention the wild turkeys that follow the garbage trucks and forage in people's vegetable gardens.
SEA DOG

Novato, CA

#10 Jan 4, 2010
Everyone including animals have a right to live,QUIT BUILDING AND MOVING INTO THEIR HOMES
Koalabear2525

San Francisco, CA

#11 Jan 4, 2010
yes they are all over, they are even way over here in San Leandro, by the bay and wet lands and some of the 366 folks that live in the mobile home park has seen them in packs of 3 or 4 together .. so it must be looking for a new home .
call the trapper

Santa Clara, CA

#12 Jan 4, 2010
Please don't relocate coyotes near sheep ranches and keep fluffy indoors. Call the county trapper who is a good aim.

Since: Jan 10

San Bernardino, CA

#13 Jan 4, 2010
slow day in local news, nice dress and shoes.
nah415

San Rafael, CA

#14 Jan 4, 2010
I live in Terra Linda and have seen coyotes in my front yard in broad daylight on a busy Friday morning. They are not afraid of me and barely move when I go out and yell at them. Another neighbor had a coyote on her front porch! I"m glad the IJ is writing this story as a lot of cats in my area have gone missing since the coyotes showed up. It's important not to leave food and water out, which is what can attract them to a residential neighborhood in the first place.
david quinley

San Anselmo, CA

#15 Jan 4, 2010
though i can understand the concern, i be too, i think thats part deal - if decided live in the wilderness as much marin does, they want to have as much to do with you, as you want to do with you, though if u have a cat, or small dog i could understand, but thats your choice to have 1 out there
david quinley

San Anselmo, CA

#16 Jan 4, 2010
would u haft worry about children ? not having any . i tend to forget that
hairshirt

San Francisco, CA

#17 Jan 4, 2010
What a tempest in a teacup. I routinely encounter coyotes while mountain biking. They are less of a menace than unleashed dogs. At least coyotes avoid me as opposed to domestic dogs which will sometimes bite. Relocating owners of unleashed dogs would be a better use of time and $$$...
willofthevalley

Cathedral City, CA

#18 Jan 4, 2010
"Humane society officials said there is little to fear from the doglike animals; still, people should use common sense."

This is simply not true. Coyotes will become increasingly brazen as they become desensitized to humans, and eventually may approach and bite a person in their quest to receive handouts of human food/garbage. Any coyote that shows these signs should be relocated to a rural area.
SR Native

Mill Valley, CA

#19 Jan 4, 2010
There is also a large pack of Coyotes living in the Mount Tamalpais Cemetary, they lay around on the graves during the day. They start their howling at sunset and head up to the Sleepy Hollow Ridge between Fifth Ave. and Terra Linda. They have never bothered me or my dogs, but I do bring my cats in at night. One night I was walking my dogs and a Coyote ran right past us down the middle of Fifth Ave. near the market didn't even look at us. I love the wildlife in my neighborhood.
belvborn

Morgan Hill, CA

#21 Jan 4, 2010
People. Come on. If you read this article, it's full of quotes about people being afraid. But afraid of what? The presence of a wild animal looking at them and not running away? Is it scary because it is a wild canine and you're projecting primal fears and phobias upon them? They rarely if ever do anything to interfere with our lives, except eat little animals they can snatch in the dark of night when we pet owners don't do our job and pay attention. They have never attacked a dog out on a daytime leash walk in Marin. Marinities love their "nature" except when it comes near them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sausalito Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr repubsnow 20,643
Munchies' Hamburgers???? (Jun '13) Sep 25 A Thought 26
News Documentary explores San Franciscoa s zero wast... Sep 24 trumplette4ever 1
N Korean Leader Retires in Marin City? Sep 23 juliana saxovskit 1
My Kid Never Had a Dog & It Gets Lost Sep 5 dooeedooee 1
Trump Turds Tittilate Tourists Aug '16 Dangling Trinkets 1
Trannies 4 Trump Tour Tiburon Aug '16 welovetump 1

Sausalito Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sausalito Mortgages