N.Y. boy, 11, charged with felony over pencil scratch | The Col...

There are 16 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Feb 10, 2010, titled N.Y. boy, 11, charged with felony over pencil scratch | The Col.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

An 11-year-old boy faces assault and weapon charges for trying to stab a classmate with a pencil over a math problem.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Feb 10

Columbus, Ohio

#22 Feb 10, 2010
Concerning Officer Shane Yoxall:

1st they need to take away his bullet
2nd they need to take away his gun
3rd they need to take away his badge
4th they need to ship his stupid butt back to Mayberry so he can move back in with Uncle Barney Fife
Parent

Columbus, OH

#24 Feb 11, 2010
These things happen at my childrens' schools here too. They come home saying that a student w/ "anger management" punched a kid, threw a book, or cursed at a teacher. Seriously, where were these kids when I was young? I know. They were too afraid of authority to act out. Teachers hae no authority because the legal system has taken it away from them and the administrators. Unless you are an officer of the law, don't attempt to correct someone. You will either be fired, sued, or both!
Okay with it

Columbus, OH

#25 Feb 11, 2010
Maybe the child shouldn't be such a brat.
-Paul

Montgomery, AL

#26 Feb 11, 2010
Valerie wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Todd! I only wish that I was dealt the same fate as this boy. I went from pencils to crayons to ballpoint pens to my final stabbing with a fountain pen before I was taken down by a 4th grader who had repeated that grade twice. I now own and manage a calligraphy shop in the short north.
I feel very sorry that I have left you with a scar. Stop in anytime for a free calligraphy lesson.
Cheers, Valerie
It's awesome that you and Todd could reconnect after so many years.

Todd, wear hockey goalie mitts at your calligraphy lesson!!!! lol
-Paul

Montgomery, AL

#27 Feb 11, 2010
Parent wrote:
These things happen at my childrens' schools here too. They come home saying that a student w/ "anger management" punched a kid, threw a book, or cursed at a teacher. Seriously, where were these kids when I was young? I know. They were too afraid of authority to act out. Teachers hae no authority because the legal system has taken it away from them and the administrators. Unless you are an officer of the law, don't attempt to correct someone. You will either be fired, sued, or both!
Amen.
NO MORE TAXES

Columbus, OH

#28 Feb 11, 2010
-Paul wrote:
What ever happened to spanking that kid's ****? Oh wait, they call that "Domestic Violence" now.
20 years ago......
--Kid "stabs" (scratches) other kid...parent whips that ****.....
--END OF STORY
Today
--Kid "stabs" (scratches) other kid...dad whips that ****.....
--Kid gets felony charges....
--Dad gets arrested and charged with Domestic Violence.....
--Mom divorced Dad because he's a "child abuser".....
--Kid gets sent to Buckeye Ranch.....
--Taxpayers foot the bill......
--Dad can't pay child-support because he's in jail.....
--Dad gets more time in jail because he's not paying child support.....
--Mom gets pregnant again by new boyfriend.....
12 Years from now
......Eleven-year-old Johnny number 2 beats classmate to death with a year 2022 version of a laptop computer.
In Summary: Wear a condom. It's not worth having kids nowadays. You'll only be told how to raise them.
AMEN!!!

BTW - you forgot 35 years ago (when I was in grade school) When teachers and administrators were allowed to discipline kids:
--Kid "stabs" (scratches) other kid...teacher whips that ****.....
...principle whips that ****.....
...parents whips that ****.....
--Kid goes to school next day and apologizes...
--END OF STORY
-Paul

Montgomery, AL

#29 Feb 11, 2010
NO MORE TAXES wrote:
<quoted text>
AMEN!!!
BTW - you forgot 35 years ago (when I was in grade school) When teachers and administrators were allowed to discipline kids:
--Kid "stabs" (scratches) other kid...teacher whips that ****.....
...principle whips that ****.....
...parents whips that ****.....
--Kid goes to school next day and apologizes...
--END OF STORY
I thought about that after I wrote it. I remember the paddle in the principle's office. That deterred me from getting in trouble.....the prospect of double-jeapordy.
Dave Fudger

Albany, NY

#30 Feb 13, 2010
well come on folks this is the new hartford police (aka town security) these young punks take the law way to seriously. Maybe now that philo is retired we can have a better police department
be sensible

New York, NY

#31 Feb 21, 2010
Come on now. How can this be real? How embarassing to have this story picked up by the associated press. Do you even realize how foolish your administration looks? Maybe you could have handled this without police involvement as other schools have done since oh, let me guess, pencils were invented? Somebody has too much free time during the work day!
Teacher in Sauquoit

Syracuse, NY

#32 Feb 23, 2010
The school did not involve the police (other than the school resource officer.) The parents of the victim decided on their own to press charges.
Marquan is worm food

Reynoldsburg, OH

#33 Feb 24, 2010
Teacher in Sauquoit wrote:
The school did not involve the police (other than the school resource officer.) The parents of the victim decided on their own to press charges.
The victim? The only victim here is the taxpayer. Are you talking about the busybody you haven't taught the meaning of the word "NO" to yet? Hopefully he will get his just desserts on the playground.

Since: Feb 10

Bangor, ME

#34 Feb 24, 2010
The pencil is mightier than the sword
Sex at sauquoit

United States

#35 Feb 26, 2010
please take care of the teachers that are having sex or touching.
Pencil or sex

Felda, FL

#36 Feb 27, 2010
We are more concern about a pencil than those that abuse children.
Give Teachers a Break

Syracuse, NY

#37 Feb 28, 2010
Marquan is worm food wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you talking about the busybody you haven't taught the meaning of the word "NO" to yet?
You're kidding, right? Its that middle school teacher's job to teach the kid the meaning of the word no? Right, its all the responsibility of the teacher. Parents don't have to be responsible for teaching their kids anything anymore, do they?
dude

Keeseville, NY

#38 Mar 29, 2010
Paul,your the most sensible person on this site!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sauquoit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How do I report the topix moderators? 31 min Strikeslip 10
The Comets ADVANCE!!! 4 hr Here we go 1
The Comets ADVANCE!!!!!!! 4 hr Its on 1
utica mayor fires vin nesci (Dec '13) 4 hr jarome 4
suicide is the most selfish thing and a cowards... (Sep '11) 5 hr roid 57
paul randalls west side barbershop? 5 hr rever 4
Dentist 6 hr curiousme14 2
More from around the web

Sauquoit People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE