N.Y. boy, 11, charged with felony ove...

N.Y. boy, 11, charged with felony over pencil scratch | The Col...

There are 36 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Feb 10, 2010, titled N.Y. boy, 11, charged with felony over pencil scratch | The Col.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

An 11-year-old boy faces assault and weapon charges for trying to stab a classmate with a pencil over a math problem.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“I wake up and piss excellence”

Since: Nov 09

Columbus, OH

#1 Feb 10, 2010
Math always made me angry too, must've been his times tables.
ubk2000

United States

#2 Feb 10, 2010
i can see the assult but possion of a weapon??? will only let you have a pencil in school now just to write and give back at the end of session or will that right be taken away as well. will we have to get a back griund check now just to have a pen or pencil, magic maker??/ where will it end
Reader

Columbus, OH

#3 Feb 10, 2010
ubk2000 wrote:
i can see the assult but possion of a weapon??? will only let you have a pencil in school now just to write and give back at the end of session or will that right be taken away as well. will we have to get a back griund check now just to have a pen or pencil, magic maker??/ where will it end
You are right. I am always concerned with the capacity of adults to over-react in these situations. BTW--I think that they already outlawed majic markers (they can be sniffed).
Balls Deep

Columbus, OH

#4 Feb 10, 2010
Once pensils and pens are recognized as the deadly militant assult weapons that they are...the only sensible thing to do is ban them, outright, from all schools and classrooms. They should be replaced with iPad tablets for every student and staff member. I, personally, oversaw that the iPad tablet is not capable of being used as a club.

Sincerely, Steve J.
bullseyebuck

Nashville, TN

#5 Feb 10, 2010
I wish that this sort of ruling would have happen when I was in school. I wouldn't have had to take notes because posession of a pencil is a crime and I obey the law.
arghh

Columbus, OH

#6 Feb 10, 2010
what this kid needs is to be taught how to deal with anger.
what he'll get is a life time of trouble being tossed around the system
Cz World

United States

#7 Feb 10, 2010
RU f ing kidding me...FELONY????? More proof of insanity in schools.
Wondering

Columbus, OH

#8 Feb 10, 2010
It was definitely wrong for him to strike the other student with the pencil and he should be punished. Having said that, I think the other kid should be punished as well for starting the whole thing. If people who push buttons, run their mouths and antaganize their would be attackers, then they are just as guilty. The other kid made it clear he did not want help and told the kid to back off. I say punish them both, so that they both learn that it's not ok to hit people but it's also not okay to provoke a person into doing so.
jbd612

AOL

#10 Feb 10, 2010
Our schools are out of control.
jobo42

Grove City, OH

#11 Feb 10, 2010
" criminal possession of a weapon : to wit, a number two pencil.
TimH

Columbus, OH

#12 Feb 10, 2010
Why is it every time a kid has a problem in school the first reaction is to file criminal charges? Because schools no longer want to take responsibility.
Todd

Reynoldsburg, OH

#13 Feb 10, 2010
When I was elementary school, I was stabbed in the left hand by a girl named Valerie. I still have the mark in the palm of my hand and I am 51 now. I wonder what happened to Valerie, she definitely left her mark on me.
TheresaD

Galloway, OH

#14 Feb 10, 2010
TimH wrote:
Why is it every time a kid has a problem in school the first reaction is to file criminal charges? Because schools no longer want to take responsibility.
I think it is more because schools are afraid that a parent will come in and complain or threaten to sue. So, there is over-reaction on the part of the administration.
-Paul

Montgomery, AL

#15 Feb 10, 2010
What ever happened to spanking that kid's a**? Oh wait, they call that "Domestic Violence" now.

20 years ago......
--Kid "stabs" (scratches) other kid...parent whips that a**.....
--END OF STORY

Today
--Kid "stabs" (scratches) other kid...dad whips that a**.....
--Kid gets felony charges....
--Dad gets arrested and charged with Domestic Violence.....
--Mom divorced Dad because he's a "child abuser".....
--Kid gets sent to Buckeye Ranch.....
--Taxpayers foot the bill......
--Dad can't pay child-support because he's in jail.....
--Dad gets more time in jail because he's not paying child support.....
--Mom gets pregnant again by new boyfriend.....

12 Years from now
......Eleven-year-old Johnny number 2 beats classmate to death with a year 2022 version of a laptop computer.

In Summary: Wear a condom. It's not worth having kids nowadays. You'll only be told how to raise them.
you cannot be serious

Columbus, OH

#16 Feb 10, 2010
Teacher.
Principal.
Cop.

<<<Stooge Slap>>>
when pencils are outlawed

Reynoldsburg, OH

#17 Feb 10, 2010
arghh wrote:
what this kid needs is to be taught how to deal with anger.
what he'll get is a life time of trouble being tossed around the system
Maybe the 'helper' should have backed off after being told his help was not wanted? Another do-gooder brings it down on themself and gets off without so much as a stern word? BALONEY!
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#18 Feb 10, 2010
This is what happens when you put cops in schools. I'm surprised no one got tazered.
DMR

Knoxville, TN

#19 Feb 10, 2010
The schools are often forced to over-react as there is one thing sorely lacking....parental involvement...with their own child! I recall back in the early 1960's at Maize Rd. Elementary, such things being typical "horse play" and if we did hurt ourselves or others we usually heard about it from our teacher and our parents.

Now, the parents would not do anything but file a lawsuit...against the school.

If parents would actually parent, the need for actions such as "resource" (police) officers in the schools might be eliminated. As would teacher and school reluctance to discipline students. Criminal charges for indcidents like this one are not the answer.

Teachers in the 1960's generally knew the parents and knew what they wanted. Now parents expect schools to know everything in relation to how to raise their kids, and then they file lawsuits when they think they can cash in.
Valerie

Columbus, OH

#20 Feb 10, 2010
Todd wrote:
When I was elementary school, I was stabbed in the left hand by a girl named Valerie. I still have the mark in the palm of my hand and I am 51 now. I wonder what happened to Valerie, she definitely left her mark on me.
Hi Todd! I only wish that I was dealt the same fate as this boy. I went from pencils to crayons to ballpoint pens to my final stabbing with a fountain pen before I was taken down by a 4th grader who had repeated that grade twice. I now own and manage a calligraphy shop in the short north.

I feel very sorry that I have left you with a scar. Stop in anytime for a free calligraphy lesson.

Cheers, Valerie
Justme

Columbus, OH

#21 Feb 10, 2010
There has to be more to the story. I realize the schools are afraid of law suits, but a felony?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sauquoit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fireworks at Daves Diner 15 min Jumbo Jim 1
Motorcycle noise (Apr '10) 1 hr area resident 109
Whitesboro Fire Department 1 hr chief crazy 4
was trooper justified shooting unarmed escapee 1 hr eric 20
Teachers Make More Money Than Lawyers In Utica? (Mar '13) 2 hr Ken 144
Single Mom 2 hr George 1
Thank you commericals! 2 hr Jennifer 2
More from around the web

Sauquoit People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE