Funding secured for Kinross Township ...

Funding secured for Kinross Township streetscape

There are 7 comments on the www.sooeveningnews.com story from Jan 30, 2009, titled Funding secured for Kinross Township streetscape . In it, www.sooeveningnews.com reports that:

There will be a new look in Kinross Township thanks to state, federal and local funding in the form of new sidewalks, curbing, crosswalks, lamp posts and park benches.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.sooeveningnews.com.

Jason Oberle

Bloomington, IN

#1 Jan 30, 2009
I am writing in regards to the Kinross Streetscape Project. This project has never been without funding for a single day. Funding was appropriated for the project by the Transportation Enhancement Act when the project began and extended from until May 2009, by filings encouraged by the township. The project did not continue long after my election in 2004 for two reasons. First, the Michigan Department of Transportation was lacking sufficient right-of-way along the proposed sight. Second, because the contract required by the Michigan Department of Transportation at the time also required the Township take responsibility for correct the right-of-way issues associated with the project. A legal opinion from the Township Attorney at the time outlined the problems with the contract.
Although, as Supervisor, I did not end this opportunity for the community because it is likely in the best interest of the Township, long term. I do have some very serious concerns about the project. First, at a public meeting held during my tenure in office, a few business owners owning property along the proposed site were not in favor of the project continuing because it would seriously limit parking, destroy thousands of dollars of recently developed parking lot, or place sidewalks under snowfall areas from the businesses roofs. These are only a few of the tertiary problems.
Also, there were many unanswered questions about future maintenance and the associated expenses. While I served the community there were many deteriorating buildings, fortunately now three have been demolished, two along the proposed construction area. But what is truly important to consider is how much money will be required to be a part of the annual budget for maintenance every year into the future in order to properly maintain the new construction? I recall the estimate being about $25,000 annually. This is also approximately the same amount as the township pays in salary for its single full time employee at the recreation center. So if the Streetscape project must continue the question becomes is that $25,000 annually better spent on more staff at the recreation center or spent maintaining sidewalks, benches, and streetlights. Although, I doubt you will hear any public debate about the best use of these proposed tax dollars, it is still a very real public policy question.
Finally, the biggest of all questions is what bubble, vacuum, or laboratory is Kinross located in which is not currently being affected by the Nation-Wide recession, unemployment, and hardships? For this question I have no answer. But I do have a little history to share. The last time Mr. Palma held the office of Supervisor in Kinross, he believed that it was imperative for the township to build a road, extend the water and sewer system, and remove acres of trees from township property costing the township about $190,000 in order to accommodate or “encourage a guy with a small business to open up out here.” That property can be visited on M-80 (Tone Rd.) just west of the Local Express which sadly burned on Christmas. I suggest that everyone drive near there and view the small businesses opening and further ask them for their opinion of this new project. Oh yeah, there are no businesses on that property. Imagine that, and the economy was much, much better than now. I hope and pray this letter inspires only a few people to investigate this project fully and pressure the Township Supervisor to ask these hard questions. Please get involved to ensure that tax dollars are spent on the best possible use.
TAXPAYER

Virginia Beach, VA

#2 Jan 30, 2009
DOES THIS GUY NEVER SHUT UP...4 YRS OF HOT AIR AND HE WON'T GO AWAY. tHE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN AND HIS NAME ISN'T IT!!!
Jason Oberle

Bloomington, IN

#3 Jan 31, 2009
TAXPAYER wrote:
DOES THIS GUY NEVER SHUT UP...4 YRS OF HOT AIR AND HE WON'T GO AWAY. tHE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN AND HIS NAME ISN'T IT!!!
You seem to have forgotten, I chose different opportunities, each and every time I was involved in an election in Kinross Township "I Won." So hide in D.C. and say what you like. Because, I am on the record as a Winner!
Ted Stevens

Sault Sainte Marie, MI

#4 Jan 31, 2009
Jason Oberle wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to have forgotten, I chose different opportunities, each and every time I was involved in an election in Kinross Township "I Won." So hide in D.C. and say what you like. Because, I am on the record as a Winner!
More like a whiner!
Jason Oberle

Bloomington, IN

#5 Jan 31, 2009
Ted Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
More like a whiner!
recognition of the problem is the first step to eliminating it Ted. Do you plan to answer the question or just call me names?
Tom

Sault Sainte Marie, MI

#6 Jan 31, 2009
I would say a major wiener. HA HA HA
Rob

Sault Sainte Marie, MI

#7 Feb 2, 2009
Its nice to see that we have someone in office that is going to get something done in our community, unlike the last puppet that was in office.
I went to my first township meeting and was flooded when Jason started haveing a hissy-pissy fit and stormed out of the meeting crieing.
I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Now I see you guys have to listen to his BULL on here too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sault Ste. Marie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 1/26/2011 - Chippewa Co. Man Admits to Molestin... (Jan '11) Feb 7 Moose Eye 18
News U.P. police looking for vandal who kicked, dama... Feb 3 Hawver1972 1
News Ice hinders ferry, creates chaos on U.P. island Jan 24 Good and Bad H20 1
Dead or Alive? Looking for family members. Sep '17 Plus one 1
News RCMP lay charges in St. Joe's human smuggling a... (Jul '17) Jul '17 Bridge or Boat 1
News Ontario, Michigan Saults send water message to ... (Jun '17) Jun '17 Lake 1
Sault Ste. Marie Music Forum (Dec '12) Apr '17 Musikologist 15

Sault Ste. Marie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sault Ste. Marie Mortgages