calling marvin perez
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Doubtful

Dolton, IL

#21 Oct 18, 2008
The sauk village voice is so misinformed that they don't even know that Jan Zevkovich left Strassburg last year. Dum -de Dum-Dum!
concerned parent

Dolton, IL

#22 Oct 18, 2008
While all of you are condemning your elementary district and the progress made since the jailing of the superintendent years ago, wake up! Your high school district is terrible and you don't even seem to be concerned. They have not made progress in over seven years and now they have to restructure the whole high school. There is a meeting scheduled monday evening at Trail to discuss the issue and let the public know about it. I have read nothing here about the sorry condition of the high school you are sending your kids to. The high school superintendent has been there for quite a few years and no one has questioned his salary, ability, or concern for the district he'd better be glad he's not an african american because I'm sure you'd come after him too. What a town!
NWI from SV

Frankfort, IL

#23 Oct 18, 2008
So Jan Zekovich left last year. Does that somehow nullify what Sauk Village Voice is saying? Doesn't matter when is happened, as much as the fact that it happened under the circumstances that it did.

I'd call it a dead balls on reason why most people pulled their kids out of these F'ed up schools, and moved out of the F'ed up graffiti riddled, corruption filled schools.

Ryan may have started it all, but it sounds like business as usual in Sauk Village. Aside from the crime in Sauk Village, the schools was only another reason to move. Pay raises for academic watch lists, and a dean that takes porn pics of the kids...

Nice school you have there Doubtful!
Doubtful wrote:
The sauk village voice is so misinformed that they don't even know that Jan Zevkovich left Strassburg last year. Dum -de Dum-Dum!
Facts Please

United States

#24 Oct 18, 2008
Actually despite what Mr. Perez called in the paper and in the meeting. He was called to determine if he objected to the special meeting and he said no and stated that he was available for the meeting and had no problem with it until he showed up with the paper present. So get your facts straight.
Sauk Village Voice wrote:
Facts Please - Part 1 of 2
Well Facts Please, I don't know what information the minutes has, or does not have, but I can tell you everyone in Sauk Village that has their taxes increases anywhere from 100 to 200 dollars can tell you that they are paying for something. And I have the facts that you seek.
According to information gathered, Marvin Perez seems to be the only one that cares about the children in District 168, contrary to what some may say. That's because Marvin Perez cared enough to vote against the pay increases and objected to the board acting on them at a special June 20th meeting rather than waiting until the board's regular July meeting, so residents were not able to attend it. He said the raises could have been made retroactive to July 1.
He alsofiled a complaint with Heather V. Kimmons, assistant attorney general and public access counselor in the Illinois attorney general's office, regarding the board's handling of the superintendent's evaluation and pay raise. He said he has not yet received a response to his complaint.
Maybe that's because Marvin Perez sees the information at http://iirc.niu.edu the Illinois Interactive Report card that again contrary to what you stated, shows stagnant ISAT test scores over the past two years, and remain 10 to 11 percent below state average. That is why Strassburg and Rickover remain on Academic Watch Lists, and failed to produce Academic Yearly Progress (AYP) thus keeping them on the AWS.
Maybe that's why Rudy Williams wanted to challenge the way the scoring is calculated, rather than work harder to increase them. It must be hard for him to answer to Marvin Perez and other board members for dismal ISAT test scores, in spite of his annual salary going up to $183,456 for 2008-09, up 4 percent over his current $176,400 pay. Williams also received a $1,500 performance bonus in 2007-08. Performance? Failure to make AYP and 2 out of 3 schools in the District on AWS, and he gets a PERFORMANCE BONUS!
The Sauk Village Elementary District 168 School Board approved the creation of an assistant principal position at Wagoner. Board member Marvin Perez cast the only dissenting vote. Why does a Kindergarten school need an Assistant Principal? Because Rudy Williams thinks Wagoner Principal Kathleen Lemler works hard?
In spite of the protests by Marvin Perez to vote on the pay raises during the normal meeting, the raises went retroactive to July 1st anyway.
Other staff additions approved by the board for the 2007-08 school year includeed a language arts teacher and three aides at Rickover Junior High School; two classroom teachers, three aides and a computer teacher at Strassburg Elementary School; and an additional social worker, four aides and a psychologist for the special education department.
Facts Please

United States

#25 Oct 18, 2008
Actually Mr. Perez does not have children in the schools.
Sauk Village Voice wrote:
Since we all seem to be on some sort of fact finding mission, I would like to know how many of the forementioned Administrators actually LIVE in Sauk Village, have children attending schools in Sauk Village, and really care about Sauk Village schools, children and residents, other than referring to School District 168 a place where they go to work every day. Apparently, that's about what it amounts to, since the schools continue to fall short of State academic standards. If you ask me, the jobs they are doing aren't being done to the standard the children attending District 168 schools deserve, since the Reading, Math, and ISAT scores remain at least 10 percent below state average.
School District 168 Administrators are paid quite well for the jobs they AREN'T doing. And Marvin Perez seems to be the only one that has a problem with it. Maybe that's because as I understand, Marvin Perez has children in the schools. Maybe it's because he lives in the community. I bet if Rudy Williams had kids in the District 168 schools, things would be ALOT better.
But let's face it. On what Rudy Williams banks every year, at the cost of Sauk Village taxpayers, he can afford to send his kids to private schools if he wanted to. Meanwhile, the children in District 168 schools can't seem to conjure up high enough ISAT scores to meet State Standards. Scores that directly depend on the education District Administration and the educators hired by it to provide the children in the district.
Speaking of hired by the Administration, David Cech, the Dean of Students at Strassburg that "allegedly" took nude photos of a boy in his office at the school. A person (that lived in Oak Lawn I might add) that was NEVER had a background check done, like many other Administrators and authoritives in District 168, that continue to work with children on a daily basis.
Yet they background check BUS DRIVERS more stringently, than the current administration that directly works with the children six hours a day. And in light of the David Cech allegations, that very fact should give Sauk Village parents and Marvin Perez every right to question the Administration, its actions, and hold it accountable for its performance, especially when it can be held questionable and accountable for the performance it does NOT provide.
resident

Oak Forest, IL

#26 Oct 18, 2008
I have to say you make a lot of valid points. Iím not sure if people have problems with Mr. Williams because he is African American. For some I am sure it is but for others I think itís because he worked for Ryan and people are afraid he has learned too much from him. He is a very nice man. I do know if you have to call him with a problem, he will call back and do the best he can to help. Now that is a big change for that office. Really he can only be as effective as the board allows him to be. There have been positive changes and there needs to be more. Parents need to make some kind of effort. The school has had different things for the children and so few families even show up. The problems here was caused by all of us residents, schools, Village Hall and itís going to take a bit of all of us to change it. You are so right about the high school its problems have been ignored for years. I found your post something to think about, Thanks
concerned parent wrote:
While all of you are condemning your elementary district and the progress made since the jailing of the superintendent years ago, wake up! Your high school district is terrible and you don't even seem to be concerned. They have not made progress in over seven years and now they have to restructure the whole high school. There is a meeting scheduled monday evening at Trail to discuss the issue and let the public know about it. I have read nothing here about the sorry condition of the high school you are sending your kids to. The high school superintendent has been there for quite a few years and no one has questioned his salary, ability, or concern for the district he'd better be glad he's not an african american because I'm sure you'd come after him too. What a town!

Since: Oct 08

Chesterfield, MO

#27 Oct 18, 2008
Interesting Facts Please. While it was understood Marvin Perez may have had children in the shcools it is a possibility he no longer does. Perhaps at the time this took place he may have had his daughter(s) in one of the schools.

As far as him having no problems with the special meeting, I find that quite hard to beleive. Why would someone with no problems with a special meeting go through the trouble of He also filed a complaint with Heather V. Kimmons, assistant attorney general and public access counselor? Perhaps because Marvin Perez was aware that the under the Open Meetings Act, public bodies cannot take final action in a closed meeting. If a lawsuit was filed to challenge this action, a court could declare the decision to hire null and void, bringing into question the need for a special meeting to be held in the first place for the newly hired administrative positions.

Unfortunately, it seems as if there is some conflicting reports. Maybe if someone would have brought into question the position / hiring of David Cech, the school wouldn't have had an alleged sexual assault on a child in the school, by a position that was in my opinion, not necessary to begin with.

So who would call Marvin Perez to ask him if he objected to the meeting in the first place? Rudy Williams? Another board member? YOU? And why does showing up with a newspaper or other media upset you if there is nothing to be upset over? You know, if the board and school administration is acting in the best interests of the district and the children, then why the special meeting in the first place? Don't the Parents in school District 168 have a right to the open meetings process?

If it didn't start out as a back room deal, then there should be no annomicity towards Marvin Perez, the presence of the media, or the filing of the Opem Meetings Act violation, unless the rest of the board and the Superintendant felt there was something they wanted to be kept from public knowledge.

Looks, like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck, has a beak like a duck, then it must be a duck...
concerned parent

Dolton, IL

#28 Oct 19, 2008
Keep running your town down, you're doing a good job blame everyone but yourselves for the prostitution, street crime, shootings and killings on the street. In three years this town is going to be worse than Harvey Illinois. This Topix thing is for ghetto lovers I'm through with it. If you're not concerned about your high school no one else will be. How much do their teachers make? Where do they live? Why are they restructuring? You seem to be stuck on tearing down efforts to rebuild the elementary school system to make them like the failed high school system. I'm glad I'm leaving here because this is a sad place to live. By the way why not elect Alex Sustek for president?

Since: Oct 08

Frankfort, IL

#29 Oct 19, 2008
You know concerned parent, I can understand your frustration, and I am confident that all residents share your sense of despair. What you have to remember that undoing the mess left behind by Ryan isn't going to happen overnight. I commend Rudy Williams for taking the tiger by the tail, and trying to fight it around so that it is running the right way.

Equally as important, residents have to remember that The financial havoc Thomas Ryan brought upon the schools he wrought in the district will be felt for years. So it isn't going to improve overnight.

Let's define "overnight". When Ryan was indicted on August 23, 2005 the parents with children in the schools only began to learn of the graft and abuses of not only Ryan, but also other members of the administration under him that facilitated the fleecing of District 168 taxpayers, like then President Louise Morales, who was brought up on charges of theft, official misconduct and misapplication of funds.

Ryan was charged with theft of more than $100,000, which is a class X felony punishable by up to 30 years in prison. He is also charged with intimidation, communication with a witness, harassment of a witness, obstruction of justice, bribery, and official misconduct. All are felonies, but carry penalties less than a Class X.

Yet Ryan walks a free man today, after only serving 3 years of a possible 30 year sentence.

So yes, parents and taxpayers are feeling the sting of Ryan still. But the District is making progress, and in the three short years, there is positive progress, but there is more to be done.

And the District 206 High Schools are in no better shape. In fact, they are worse. Not only is Bloom Trail on Academic Watch Lists, but Financial Watch Lists as well. So why isn't the State's Attorney's Office going through District 206 with a fine toothed comb yet?

So when Special Meetings are held, and most all of the Administration walks away from it with more money, and new hires approved without being brought before a public meeting first, of course parents and taxpayers are going to feel like the Ryan scandal is taking place all over again. And while it is most likely it isn't, it leaves question and doubt, when there is PLENTY of fear, uncertainty, and doubt left in the wake of the Thomas Ryan debacle.

So concerned parent, if you can share with the forum what improvements have taken place in three short years, and the positive results of the restructuring, please share them with us. Sauk Village could use some good news. When it comes to the education of our children, we are willing to spend tax money, as long as the money is going to directly bennefit the children.

So now that Rudy Williams is making $204,433 including one-time payments, retirement contributions, bonuses, purchased annuities, compensaation for unused vacation days and retirement incentives (which is about what Thomas Ryan was making) how can taxpayers and parents in District 168 expect to see this directly bennefit our children?

If the Administration can swing additional staff, raises, and improvements for security and buildings, how about band, choir, soccer, and basketball programs for the children? National Junior Honor Society would be an even greater recognition for students that achieve academic excellence, and are recognized on a National level for it.

District 168 children have done without for long enough. It's THEIR turn.
Facts Please

United States

#30 Oct 25, 2008
All meetings are posted and can be attended by all. Since very few people attend the meetings from what I can see and hear. It really wouldn't have made a difference if was given on a Thursday or Friday the same number of people would have shown up. So who was playing to the media. If all you are after is attention, then I guess it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's an attention seeking duck.

'
Sauk Village Voice wrote:
Interesting Facts Please. While it was understood Marvin Perez may have had children in the shcools it is a possibility he no longer does. Perhaps at the time this took place he may have had his daughter(s) in one of the schools.
As far as him having no problems with the special meeting, I find that quite hard to beleive. Why would someone with no problems with a special meeting go through the trouble of He also filed a complaint with Heather V. Kimmons, assistant attorney general and public access counselor? Perhaps because Marvin Perez was aware that the under the Open Meetings Act, public bodies cannot take final action in a closed meeting. If a lawsuit was filed to challenge this action, a court could declare the decision to hire null and void, bringing into question the need for a special meeting to be held in the first place for the newly hired administrative positions.
Unfortunately, it seems as if there is some conflicting reports. Maybe if someone would have brought into question the position / hiring of David Cech, the school wouldn't have had an alleged sexual assault on a child in the school, by a position that was in my opinion, not necessary to begin with.
So who would call Marvin Perez to ask him if he objected to the meeting in the first place? Rudy Williams? Another board member? YOU? And why does showing up with a newspaper or other media upset you if there is nothing to be upset over? You know, if the board and school administration is acting in the best interests of the district and the children, then why the special meeting in the first place? Don't the Parents in school District 168 have a right to the open meetings process?
If it didn't start out as a back room deal, then there should be no annomicity towards Marvin Perez, the presence of the media, or the filing of the Opem Meetings Act violation, unless the rest of the board and the Superintendant felt there was something they wanted to be kept from public knowledge.
Looks, like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck, has a beak like a duck, then it must be a duck...

Since: Oct 08

Frankfort, IL

#31 Oct 26, 2008
Not necessarily Facts Please. That's why the board holds closed meetings, and then votes to keep the minutes from those closed meetings closed. This is to satisfy the constraints of the Open Meetings Act which can be found in their entirety at http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/govern...

So when the board adjourns to closed meeting, and resumes open meeting only to approve over $700,000 in expenses and compensation for the month of July only, one would be naturally curious as to what happens in the Closed Meetings. Especially when the Teacher's Union President publicly reminds the board not to discuss Personnel issues in open meetings.

The website at http://d168.org/meetings_agendas.html will give the readers of the forum here a better idea of the closed meetings and minutes if they would like to read for themselves, as well as the scheduled meeting dates and times, which are shown as "subject to change if necessary."

The board can change the meetings, type of meetings, and times, as long as it does so under the laws and constraints of the Open Meetings Act, which clearly define the advance notice of such changes.

Maybe that was Marvin's point all along..
NWI from SV

United States

#32 Oct 27, 2008
According to an article in The Northwest Indiana Times Online that can be found at http://www.nwi.com/articles/2008/10/26/news/i...

Roosevelt Junior High School is among those being removed from school improvement status because it made adequate progress for a second year in a row under the federal No Child Left Behind Act, according to information provided by the state education board.

The data also shows 101 schools and 23 districts, including Diekman Elementary in Dolton, Lincoln Elementary in Calumet City, Schrum Memorial in Calumet City, Memorial Junior High in Lansing, Madison Elementary in South Holland, McKinley Junior High in South Holland, Rickover Junior High in Sauk Village, Brookwood Elementary District 167, Dolton Elementary District 149, Lincoln Elementary District 156 and Lansing Elementary District 158 -- all of which are in school improvement -- will not advance to further sanctions because they made adequate yearly progress this year.

The results were announced last week as part of the state board's statewide analysis of the 2008 State Report Card which will be released Friday.
Resident

Oak Forest, IL

#33 Nov 2, 2008
Sauk Village Voice-I would like to respond to your comment ( Iím not concerned parent) *So concerned parent, if you can share with the forum what improvements have taken place in three short years, and the positive results of the restructuring, please share them with us. Sauk Village could use some good news. When it comes to the education of our children, we are willing to spend tax money, as long as the money is going to directly benefit the children.* If Iím not mistaken its only been a little over 3 years since Ryan got out. I am always complaining we need more programs for the kids and when I looked at what has been added I feel ashamed. There is much more then when my children attended the schools. I put a list up in the SV info forum. Of course I want more but we are moving forward finally. Parent involvement is the same from what I have seen at different functions. Iím not sure if it from when Ryan was here and no one wanted to be involved or parents are just lazy and donít want to be bothered. The school is changing and I feel parents have to help change things. The change is slow but it is moving forward. I think that is good news. Rickover is improving slowly maybe the rest will follow.

Since: Oct 08

Chicago, IL

#34 Nov 2, 2008
EXCELLENT Post Resident. I think it should be put into its own topic, so that parents and students alike can collaborate and share ideas and views for these programs. And so those in this forum can find the link you placed in the Info For SV Residents, the link to the District 168 after school programs is http://d168.org/after_school_programs.html and list more than what you have. Everyone with kids in the schools should check it out.

I am pleased to see it. I think things have gotten better also. It was also refreshing to hear that this school year, Rickover made Adequate Yearly Progress from the ISBE, and ISAT scores improved. It was also nice to see the teacher's raises in September allocated additional funding for teachers to sponsor and support the after school activities. So there is a monetary reward incentive for teachers to sponsor more and create more programs as well.

You know Resident, when people see their taxes go up, and Administrators raising their pay scales, and some programs still missing, it is important to remember that in order to attract and retain quality educators, our schools must offer competitive compensation packages comparatively for surrounding area schools where they may decide to go to work for better pay and bennefits packages than what District 168 offered, and your point that it's only been 3 years since Ryan left is very true. After the damage he left behind, and all things considered, the improvements you stated are a great start forward. With that in mind, I think bringing up pay and bennefits for the educators to comparable schools in the area is money well spent. As District 168 retains qualified and desirable experienced educators, more programs and increased academic performance will follow suit as you said.

A few posts back, NWI from SV posted a link to the news story showing Rickover made AYP this school year along with other area schools. And I see kids getting off the after school activities busses in my neighborhood more frequently which is to say the programs are there, but the students are taking advantage of them as well. What good are programs if the students do not participate, right? So that is good news to see and hear that as well.

This is what residents in Sauk Village need to hear and see about their schools. Thanks for sharing the information.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sauk Village Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jimmy's Gentlemen's Club is a joke! (Sep '14) Fri GINGER 22
News Country Club Hills fire chief's conviction undi... (Oct '12) Fri Whatsethical 4
Helping the homeless Fri Dornadee 1
Union Yard Signs (Sep '12) Nov 12 TheExecutive 103
News Police: 'If Your Pants Are Sagging, Stay Out of... Oct '17 Lowest of Them All 2
Tammy Vandevelde Aug '17 Beef up 1
Tammy Vandeveld (Mar '14) Mar '17 Yes sir 6

Sauk Village Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sauk Village Mortgages