KILLED in Sauk Village April 3rd, 2008

KILLED in Sauk Village April 3rd, 2008

Posted in the Sauk Village Forum

NWI from SV

Chicago, IL

#1 Jul 14, 2008
CBS 2's Dana Kozlov reports police are still searching for Griffin's killer.

By all accounts, from the number of people that attended her vigil Wednesday night, hers was a life and death that touched a lot of hearts here.

Young faces -- more than a hundred of them -- slowly gathered at the spot where Griffin was found murdered last Friday. They came to memorialize the teen taken so violently from them and the entire Sauk Village community.

"We don't know if this the last huge, and I wish I could have one last hug from Brashai," said Griffin's fellow parishioner Lisa Wright.

Griffin was reported missing early in the day on April 3 by her mother. Police began an all-out search for her Friday afternoon. That's when they found her -- partially clothed and in a creek -- near a wooded walking trail. She'd been strangled.

Relatives say police have questioned her 17-year-old ex-boyfriend.

"She had broke up with him, and he kept trying to get back with her and she kept saying no, and the last thing I heard from her was he got real mad," said Griffin's godsister, Courtney Wilson.

Griffin's family, including her grandmother and uncle, are hopeful police will solve the case soon. But they focused Wednesday night on the outpouring of community support.

"It's been very comforting to have the number of people who have called us, talked to us and prayed for us," said Griffin's uncle, Keith Taylor.

And those who called Griffin a friend say her murder has changed the way they look at life.

"It really shoots their dreams down and makes them wonder… it makes them think upon their life," said Denzel Clayton, a member of Griffin's youth group.

Some, though, are questioning the way police initially handled this case.

If she was reported missing early Thursday, some wonder why police failed to issue any sort of public alert until late Friday afternoon, more than a day and a half later.

Police would not answer any questions about that or the case.

(© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
NWI from SV

Chicago Heights, IL

#2 Oct 7, 2008
MORE FACTS 219place. The problem with Sauk Village and people like you is that you think you can hide the problems and sweep them under the rug and hope they go away so nobody finds out THE FACTS. Facts are facts, and you have to face them.
219place

Oldsmar, FL

#3 Oct 8, 2008
why are you here? nobody sais sweep anything under the rug....you come up with this shit instead of answering IF YOU DON'T LIVE HERE OR CAN VOTE HERE than just shut up and go away you don't see me in the oak lawn forum
NWI from SV wrote:
MORE FACTS 219place. The problem with Sauk Village and people like you is that you think you can hide the problems and sweep them under the rug and hope they go away so nobody finds out THE FACTS. Facts are facts, and you have to face them.
NWI from SV

Lowell, IN

#4 Mar 27, 2009
Does anybody remember when I said that there was a killer allowed to run loose on the streets of Sauk Village? HERE's your proof...

http://nwi.com/articles/2009/03/27/news/illin...

Report: Evidence backlog at state crime lab a problem.

The backlog of tests on evidence at Illinois State Police labs climbed into the thousands and interfered with criminal cases while the agency sat on money that could have accelerated results, a report released Thursday found.

Illinois Auditor General William Holland also concluded that State Police provided misleading or incorrect numbers to the governor and Legislature, misstating the size of the backlog. Holland surveyed attorneys and police statewide about the backlog, and 46 percent said delays in getting test results from the State Police had meant criminal charges weren't filed, cases were delayed or charges dropped, or suspects were acquitted.

"The longer it takes cases to be analyzed, the greater the chances that criminals commit additional crimes," Holland wrote.

Illinois State Police officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment Thursday.

Sauk Village police Detective Sgt. Tim Holevis said he has noticed a lag in evidence coming back.

For example, it took about four months to hear back on DNA evidence in the case of Brashai Griffin, Holevis said. The 15-year-old was sexually assaulted and strangled. Her body was found April 4. Police had identified the suspect, Timothy Easley, but had to wait to arrest him until they heard back from the lab, Holevis said.
SMW

Channahon, IL

#6 Jun 2, 2010
ITHIS IS JUST ASHAME HEARING ABOUT THIS GIRL BEING KILLED I USE TO LIVE IN SAUK VILLAGE 25 YRS AGO BACK IN 1979 NOW LOOK AT IT NOW MURDERS ROBERIES GANG BANG AND DRUG ACTIVITY SOMTHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ABOUT ALL THIS IT USE TO BE A QUIET TOWN NOW LOOK ITS A DISATER POLICE NEEDS TO TAKE CARE THIS PROBLEMPLEASE IT WILL BE NICE TO DO THAT
SMW

Channahon, IL

#7 Jun 2, 2010
sauk village use to be a nice town i should know i use to live there many yrs ago back in 1979 up to 1985then i moved and now its 20010 and its bad there why well because you let all these people moved in that are drug dealers murders and this town had no black people there they are taking over the town dont let them do that there is good black people and there is nice black people only bad black people there is are dope dealers murders and roberies please dont be effensive im not racial its that theres to much going on out there now look please city hall do somthing about it my friend was killed behind the bowling alley you all know about it he was my best friend please from the bottom of my heart please take care of this huge problem
TRON

Oak Forest, IL

#8 Oct 12, 2013
WELL I LIVE HERE AND SAUK VILLAGE POLICE ARE WEAK THEY ARE TRAFFIC
COPS THEY DON'T SERVE AND PROTECT AND OUR DETECTIVES ARE BOOK WRITERS NOT CRIME SOLVERS THEY DON'T BREAK CASES THEY MAKE CASES.THE ONLY REASON THEY GOT A CONVICTION IS BECAUSE HE CONFESS TO IT NOT BECAUSE THEY INVESTIGATED THE CASE.THEY FOUND HER BODY BECAUSE SOMEONE ELSE SEEN IT FIRST AND TOLD THEM.AND THE REASON IT TOOK SO LONG FOR THEM TO LOOK FOR HER BODY IS BECAUSE SHE WASN'T WHITE
brashai forever

United States

#9 Apr 25, 2014
Rip brashai u will live in our hearts forever 6 yrs have gone by to fast ♡♥&#98 25;

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sauk Village Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blue Island go to your page 11 hr trumbull 9
what has olivio munoz ever done in this town (Apr '13) 11 hr Watching the show 25
Rocco Demarco breaking into homes 22 hr Popeye 2
Berkots Tue Pipsqueek_Magee 17
Mayor Gonzalez - 4 more years! Tue digger_70 8
Calumet City in the 60's & 70's (Feb '10) Tue Sarge75s 75
So Midlothian is Short on Cash... May 25 Doubting Thomas 11
More from around the web

Sauk Village People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]