STEVEN

Homer Glen, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

That's great to know that she had a baby on the bike with her at times too. People need to be aware of how to take care of themselves and others especially if they are parents-what message are you sending to your kids? People should also not talk in the middle of the street and not move for oncoming cars-I've been seeing a lot of that lately and someone is going to get hurt or killed again.
Her family

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Before you people start talking know the facts first. That's my brothers wife. We are hurting now so a little respect please
HLVD

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Judged:

Thank you Her family! It is ashame some of the comments on here. If you DO NOT know the facts then BE QUIET! I saw them THEY WERE NOT fighting. They were laughing and enjoying the day together as a FAMILY with their friends! Please don't judge her for making a wrong decision. We have all done it before! She loved her family and would want us as a community to embrace them now and stop the judging! If this was someone you knew and loved you would want the same.
Ebony Caston

Dolton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

It is really sad to see some of these comments, people can be so cold-hearted. I would like to send my condolences to her family. This story touched my heart because I am close to her age and I was at the hospital the night she died with my husband and saw how distraught the family was. I felt so sad and wished there had been something for me to do. May God bless the family and as time goes on, you will get better. I know what you all are going through.
Ebony Caston

Dolton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Jeanine wrote:
Thank you, that was the point I was trying to make, she chose to operate a vehicle on a residential street and she CHOSE to take her life and innocent people's lives because she wanted to have FUN. People need to face it, ATV's are for FUN, not for anything else. And if you choose to have fun riding it, you should make sure to wear a helmet, it may have saved her life. You wouldn't want your kid riding his/her bike without a helmet, why would you take the chance? I'll tell you why, "I'm an adult and it won't happen to me." It is a tragedy that this woman is DEAD because she didn't obey the laws, didn't think of her safety or more importantly, didn't think of the safetey of others. In many states, it is a LAW to wear a helmet with motorcycles, ATV's, etc, it is also a LAW that they cannot be driven on city streets. She BROKE THE LAW and it cost her her life, worse yet, it cost her her children's lives with their mom. Yes, it is tragic, but it was also AVOIDABLE! It's almost like saying the drunk who got in his car and killed himself, boo hoo, well, idiot, YOU CHOSE TO GET IN THAT CAR AND YOU CHOSE TO TAKE A CHANCE. I must say, not that I am glad a life was lost having fun, but I'm glad it was her who was killed and not an innocent 3 year old sitting in the yard playing. That would have been worse, a baby killed and she survive, then everyone on here would be complaining about that. Look at it from other sides folks. Nobody deserves to die having fun, but when you break the law and are careless, I'd rather see you dead than an innocent person. For goodness sakes, it was a nice day, people were outside with their families, would it have been better for her to have wiped out 3 or 4 kids or family memebers instead of herself--the one who chose to be reckless?
<quoted text>
I see what you are saying, but try to have some sympathy for the family. They may be reading these postings as well. Regardless of what she did, it still hurts to know that someone her age had to die like that.
Jeanine

Lansing, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Judged:

Yes, I do have sympathy for her family, but I'm angered with her that she would be so irresponsible in her actions. Why would you take a chance like that? Why? For fun? Now the poor family will have to have those memories and that's it, no mom around. Things happen beyond our control. I'm sure she wouldn't let her children (even if they were old enough) to drive that thing on the streets.
HLVD

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Anyone wishing to help the family can do so by making a donation in Bridget Hampton's name at Park National Bank in Sauk Village. They would appreciate your support in any way. We as a community can help this family get through this tragedy!THANK YOU!!
Ebony Caston

Dolton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Jeanine wrote:
Yes, I do have sympathy for her family, but I'm angered with her that she would be so irresponsible in her actions. Why would you take a chance like that? Why? For fun? Now the poor family will have to have those memories and that's it, no mom around. Things happen beyond our control. I'm sure she wouldn't let her children (even if they were old enough) to drive that thing on the streets.
I understand what you are saying, Jeanine and I agree with some of the points that you made. But, all I;m trying to say is that it is good for us to keep in mind how we say things as well. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where those vehicles are supposed to be driven?
Jeanine

Lansing, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

If not mistaken, there are no places specifically marked for those areas, only ones that are not marked for driving.
guess who

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Judged:

First of all yummayummy the fact that she was arguing with her husband has nothing to do with this matter nor is or was it your business to post such a disgraceful comment. She has left behind a husband, three children, and family. Secondly if she wasn't able to drive the ATV in your opinion then why didn't you try to talk her from getting on? People lets not make senseless comments without thinking. Just pray for that she had a relationship with Jesus and that her family will keep faith and strength doing this hour of sadness.
old neighbor

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

Judged:

Jeanine wrote:
No, I wasn't there, but I'm sick and tired of people saying the medics took too long. Most people think they took a long time when actually it was only a few minutes. Agreed, there are rare instances where paramedics do take to long, but that is very, very rare. And you said it best, "It's not like it is on tv where they get the call and they are on their way immediately." BUT IN ALL FAIRNESS, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU EXPECT. And by the way, when the paramedics get the call, THEY ARE ON THEIR WAY IMMEDIATELY. Bud's is stationed in the rigs, not in a nice cool office or a nice cool building or a warm building or warm office, they are already in the vehicle and rolling as soon as they get the call from their dispatch. See, SV has to call buds to have buds to dispatch. So, if it seems to take longer, look at SV dispatch to call buds and then how long after bud's receives the call are they dispatched. If you really think it took too long, get the proof and do it the right way!
she just says that cause her husband worked for the village shes just nosey and ready to call the cops on everyone. her blunt opinions are rude and insensitive
Ta-Ta

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

Judged:

old neighbor wrote:
<quoted text>she just says that cause her husband worked for the village shes just nosey and ready to call the cops on everyone. her blunt opinions are rude and insensitive
Do you all want to know how well your police and firedepartment and paramedics are well in 1980 the killed my father and I believe they are the reason the village has turned out the way it has I have lived there all my life but i had to leave when I turned 18 because it just got so bad but my grandparents still live there and i fear for them everyday so ya her husband must work for the village because if not she would agree with everyone all you have to do to work for the law enforsment in the village is go to clown school. No matter what that lady did the point is she died it is sad and people should be talking about the good things she did not the bad she is gone and it is over with let her rest in peace please. MY thoughts are with her family.....
FAMILY FRIEND

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

Judged:

[Yes Bridgette Hampton is her name. She was a very good person i know her personally. My HEART goes out 2 her husband Trumaine, her 2 children she left behind and her family. U will be missed

Since: Oct 08

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

Ebony Caston wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you are saying, Jeanine and I agree with some of the points that you made. But, all I;m trying to say is that it is good for us to keep in mind how we say things as well. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where those vehicles are supposed to be driven?
Q: Does anyone know where those vehicles are supposed to be driven?

A: An easier approach to this question is where they are NOT to be driven. On the ATV specific website http://www.atvsafety.gov/legislation/Illinois... is where you can read the Illinois Compiled Statutes which reads as follows:

(625 ILCS 5/11-1426)(from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-1426)Sec. 11-1426. Operation of all-terrain vehicles and off-highway motorcycles on streets, roads and highways.

(a) Except as provided under this Section, it shall be unlawful for any person to drive or operate any all-terrain vehicle or off-highway motorcycle upon any street, highway or
roadway in this State.

Why is it dangerous to operate an ATV on a paved road?

Most models of 3 and 4 wheel ATVs have low pressure tires and a solid rear axle, where both wheels turn at the same speed. When making a turn, the ATV's inside rear wheel is intended to skid because its path length is less than the path length of the outside wheel. ATVs on paved surfaces have much better traction, which prevents the necessary skidding. This can make turning an ATV on paved surfaces unpredictable and unstable.

It is for these reasons, most states and local areas prohibit ATVs and other off-road vehicles on public streets and highways, and in this case Illinois, except under certain defined conditions.

Sadly enough, the Consumer Products Safety Commission has death statistics that show increasing serious injury or deaths from ATV's being used without a helmet or other protection equipment.

Because of their instability and inherent handling flaws, the major ATV distributors and manufacturers agreed to cease production of 3 wheel ATV's back in the 80's and most ATV's sold today are of the 4 wheel variety. However many older model 3 wheel ATV's remain in use and are sold or used privately.
HLVD

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

She has 3 Children!
116 Crew

Orland Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

Honestly, the focus should not be on the fact that she drove a ATV on pavement. So what if she made the decision to do so. So what if you do not like that decision. So what if this is against the Sauk Village rules. She was not doing anything to hurt anyone. She was trying to enjoy life. Even if you feel the decision was poor, think about all of the decisions that you have made in your life. Did you always make the right decision? Think about all of the times that you were going over the speed limit, etc. All of the people that are talking about this young ladies choice should thank God...because with all of the poor decisions you made, it could have easily been you.
Ebony Caston

Dolton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

116 Crew wrote:
Honestly, the focus should not be on the fact that she drove a ATV on pavement. So what if she made the decision to do so. So what if you do not like that decision. So what if this is against the Sauk Village rules. She was not doing anything to hurt anyone. She was trying to enjoy life. Even if you feel the decision was poor, think about all of the decisions that you have made in your life. Did you always make the right decision? Think about all of the times that you were going over the speed limit, etc. All of the people that are talking about this young ladies choice should thank God...because with all of the poor decisions you made, it could have easily been you.
Hello, I don't know if you are responding to me, but I am not judging her in any way. I feel so bad for her and her family. I know that we all make poor decisions. I was just wondering where those vehicles can actually be driven. I agree with you, I just had a question.

Since: Oct 08

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Well, let's just get all of the semantics of this tragedy out of the way once and for all. She drove an ATV on the street, lost control and hit the tree. This in spite of warnings by Sauk Village Police to a family member not to be riding it on the street a day prior to the accident. It's sad and tragic for her family and children she leaves behind.

Now to address 116crew. People often do not make proper decisions, and often make decisions to do what we know is wrong, without taking into consideration the consequences. Human beings do this by nature for a sense of adventure and excitement, and fun.

But who feels sorry for the person that dies in an automobile crash after hitting a tree while driving drunk? Who feels sorry for the smoker that dies from lung cancer? Who feels sorry for the drug abuser that dies from an overdose? Everybody is quick to say "Well, they knew what they were doing was wrong, and what the consequences were".

Whenever ANYBODY dies, those family members and loved ones left behind are the saddest victims of the result of doing something we knew we shouldn't have been doing, or something we knew was not good for our health, or something we knew was against the law.

This is why motorized electric scooters were also made illegal to ride on the streets and sidewalks also. Some of these electric scooters are capable of speeds up to 20 miles per hour. Yet the average person doesn't know that attempting to brace yourself against impact with a fixed object at 20 mph is the equal of doing push-ups with 20 people weighing what you do on your back.

Now that you know this, would you buy one for your kid? And if you do, are you going to let him ride it without a helmet?

Yes, the inherent dangers are there. Yes, we all do take chances with cars, boats, motorcycles, bicycles, etc. When a death results, it's always sad. But nothing changes the fact that we all continue to make these decisions, when we know it is inherently dangerous, illegal, or not safe to do without proper protective equipment being worn.

But the sadness of the death and those left behind remains forever. So all of us need to look into the eyes of our children, and thank god it wasn't us. If we all took a minute to do that BEFORE making these decisions, maybe a second thought would make a difference.

So maybe we all need to be good neighbors, and support everyone in a time of sad and tragic loss, no matter how they died. And maybe we need to be good neighbors to each other to make it our business to say something, or stop something we know will hurt, maim, or kill someone BEFORE that happens.

Now, tell me what makes the smoker keep smoking. What makes the drug abuser keep taking drugs, or the drunk driver from drinking and driving over and over, and we'll really have something to work with. We don't have all the answers and shouldn't judge those that make these choices when their own death results.

Maybe we should just be good neighbors to one another...
dmack

Oak Forest, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

rip Bridget our prayers go out to her family n friends!u r 4ever n our hearts n yates wont b the same without her!
Family

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Rest in peace Bridget

You will be Missed!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sauk Village Discussions

Search the Sauk Village Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 hr truth 48,894
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 10 hr AnyCommieWillDoCantBWorse 3,829
Lansing Illinois is "changing" (Jan '07) 13 hr Also a Lansing Resident 545
Midlo Forum Battle: Know It All vs. Who Cares 21 hr truth slayer 35
I grew up in Midlothian Facebook Page (Jul '13) 21 hr Laura 81
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 22 hr KrisChristie 1,856
Saving Catholic Schools Wed larry 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Sauk Village Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000