Review: Black Hawk Family Restaurant

Review: Black Hawk Family Restaurant

Posted in the Sauk City Forum

Donovan

Prairie Du Sac, WI

#1 Oct 19, 2008
My family and I just visited this restaurant. The wait staff is young and inexperienced. The food is average. The cleanliness of this brand new restaurant is pathetic!

My daughter's pants were stained by red gum or candy that had been left in the booth by an earlier patron. When my wife pointed out to the manager on duty, she accused us of lying about the substance being in the booth before we sat there. We have light tan seats in our car. If my daughter had that stuff on her pants before we went in the restaurant there would have been a stain on the seat of our car. My daughter would have admitted if she had been the source of the substance. The manager accused my wife and I of lying about the substance and merely wanting a free meal.

I understand that there are people who will pretend to have mishaps in order to get free food. Assuming that everyone is out to cheat your establishment is a sure indication that you are not above cheating your patrons.

The icing on the cake, though, was when the cook came out into the parking lot to accuse my daughter of leaving the candy in the booth. I was flaberghasted by the audacity of this person.

There are a handful of other restaurants here in the Sauk City/Prairie du Sac area that have similar prices and similar quality of food. My family will not be returning to the Black Hawk "Family" Restaurant agan. We normally try to patronize local establishments because I love knowing that local individuals are succeeding.

This restaurant really lacks customer-focus and cleanliness, the wait staff and service team are pathetic, and the management team is woefully inadequate.
Emily

Allegan, MI

#2 Oct 22, 2008
Actually I disagree!! THE FOOD WAS EXCELLENT AND THE WAITSTAFF WAS GREAT!!!

RECOMMENED BE SEVERAL PEOPLE THAT HAD GREAT EXPERIENCES!!
Scott - Sauk City

Lodi, WI

#3 Oct 31, 2008
I thought the food was OK, but the place has no identity. They have a handful of entrees from various different food types (i.e. Stir fry, sandwiches, broasted chicken, pasta) Seems like they are trying to please everybody but they aren't really good at any one thing.

In order to succeed in the resturant industry (as a former chef at a 5 star resort) you have to have an identity. If you want to be a family resturant, offer great family food like really good broasted chicken, specialty burgers, etc. Cut out the pasta and stir fry unless you want to be an italian or chinese resturant.

I agree that the wait staff is really green and inexperienced. I went there the first week they were open and our waitress had torn pants on... doesn't look good for a new establishment. Also little things were off, like pushing a salad bar as a good option when the lettuce on it is wilted and brown???

It is OK, but I'd much rather get culvers, mexican, chinese, pizza hut, green acres or subway in Sauk City. There is lots of competition in town and this place did nothing to set themselves apart.
alexandra

Prairie Du Sac, WI

#4 Nov 2, 2008
the food was great ..great expirienced people and a very freindly enviornment i recomend it to evryone it is a great place.especially the staff they are very welcoming ..simply great!
dcl

Prairie Du Sac, WI

#5 Nov 23, 2008
going there for thanksgiving with the fam--hope it's imnproved in a month--the earlier posts are promising i hope...
dcl

Prairie Du Sac, WI

#6 Nov 23, 2008
D--i can't believe the mgmt/chef would do that to you--sorry for the poor exp...
Donovan wrote:
My family and I just visited this restaurant. The wait staff is young and inexperienced. The food is average. The cleanliness of this brand new restaurant is pathetic!
My daughter's pants were stained by red gum or candy that had been left in the booth by an earlier patron. When my wife pointed out to the manager on duty, she accused us of lying about the substance being in the booth before we sat there. We have light tan seats in our car. If my daughter had that stuff on her pants before we went in the restaurant there would have been a stain on the seat of our car. My daughter would have admitted if she had been the source of the substance. The manager accused my wife and I of lying about the substance and merely wanting a free meal.
I understand that there are people who will pretend to have mishaps in order to get free food. Assuming that everyone is out to cheat your establishment is a sure indication that you are not above cheating your patrons.
The icing on the cake, though, was when the cook came out into the parking lot to accuse my daughter of leaving the candy in the booth. I was flaberghasted by the audacity of this person.
There are a handful of other restaurants here in the Sauk City/Prairie du Sac area that have similar prices and similar quality of food. My family will not be returning to the Black Hawk "Family" Restaurant agan. We normally try to patronize local establishments because I love knowing that local individuals are succeeding.
This restaurant really lacks customer-focus and cleanliness, the wait staff and service team are pathetic, and the management team is woefully inadequate.
al ames

Fennimore, WI

#7 Dec 16, 2008
i like cheese and when you put it on a burger thats just awesome.
bandit

Windsor, WI

#8 Jan 8, 2009
dcl wrote:
D--i can't believe the mgmt/chef would do that to you--sorry for the poor exp...<quoted text>
Iam a regular customer at blackhawk restaurant and the managment is great and so is the waitstaff, and i know for a fact that the waitstaff is very experienced. I was actually present when the mishap of the pants incident, the manager was polite but the family complaning was not. when you are seated at a booth or table do ou not look at were you are seating?You would have to look down at at your seat to slide into a booth, so if when you sat down there was nothing on the seat then it is safe to say it came from you.THe restaurnt is very clean and well taken care of,at least its not like leystras with their carpet being so filthy or like eagle inn looking like a dive.
patron

Madison, WI

#9 Jan 20, 2009
I am a regular at Blackhawk, I have been in and around restaurants for years. This restaurant is exactly what it claims to be-a family restaurant. If you want a 5 star super nice classy place, a family restaurant probably shouldnt be the first place you go. Especially in sauk city. The restuarant is very clean! Admittedly the food is nothing special, but its good. you get large portions for an inexpensive price. Some of the waitstaff may be inexperienced but is anyone at culver's any different? Usually at restaurants the staff is young high school kids. Ive had several waitresses there who were great. Very friendly, willing to make my meal the best possible. And honestly, if your kid getting some stuff on their pants ruined your day so much that you had to throw a fit about it and write a bad review about a good place then you really need to get a life. Everyone has an off day, nothing is perfect. Get over it.
jean

Madison, WI

#10 Jan 22, 2009
I stopped by in October. I found the restraunt clean, but since they just opened they should have been clean.

The salad bar was a dissapointing, mostly pre-made salads from a jar, mac salads, bean salads etc. When I go to a salad bar I want to make my own garden salad not pile pre-mixed goop on my plate.

My DH ordered the fish special. He was very happy with it, good portion for the price.

I had the burger and was not happy. I was hoping for a "real" burger but got your standard pre-frozen, pre formed hockey puck. It was tough and for the price I could have gotten a much better burger at Culvers.

I will try it again in spring when I start my regular trips back through the area. I will NOT order a burger and will check the salad bar before I order it to see if it has improved.

I hope the next thing I order will give me a feeling of value, or it will be the last trip. And I hate to say that because I will always choose a local establishment over a chain whenever I can.
Northwoods

Santa Cruz, CA

#11 Feb 21, 2009
Is there any connection of this resturant to the former Blackhawk Ridge Campground??

That was the best campground in Wisconsin. Use to go there all the time as a kid. Not sure what happened to it but it seems to be no more.
tired of getting sick

Prairie Du Sac, WI

#12 Mar 28, 2009
We have tried several different specials, etc. and each time we spent the night in the bathroom, terribly sick. No other restaurant has this affect on our stomachs. The salad bar one night had bowls of salads that were brown and very dried. Were not going to go back, we've given it to many chances, and it's not a coincidence!
amy w

Madison, WI

#13 Aug 29, 2009
We tried to go to dinner at the resturant, but were greated by a swarm of flys as we walked in. The lobby was full of flys as well. This was a complete turn off and allthough we sat down, I soon realized there were still more flys in the resturant. I became so repulsed that my family and I left after we were served our water and did'nt even try the food. This place is so dirty!! Beware.
Daniele

Milford, MA

#14 Jan 7, 2010
I love the Blackhawk family restaurant!!! It is so good! I dont think it is a dirty place at all, and I am really not sure if these people have the right place... I like the fact that the menu is very diverse, it its easy to go as a family then, and everyone can find something they agree on. I especially enjoy the waitstaff, they are always very nice and welcoming. I recommend this restaurant all the time!
Lizzie

Charlotte, NC

#15 Aug 5, 2010
Northwoods wrote:
Is there any connection of this resturant to the former Blackhawk Ridge Campground??
That was the best campground in Wisconsin. Use to go there all the time as a kid. Not sure what happened to it but it seems to be no more.
I miss Blackhawk Ridge, too. We went there every summer for years and years, or so it seemed. Too bad I can't take my own family there now.
Love the Ritz

Lodi, WI

#16 Aug 17, 2010
Sure some of the food is Sisco ~ some homemade ~ some from the can ~ and some from the baker's hand...I'd like to know what restaurant doesn't, from time to time, struggle with cleanliness. Sure I'd like to see the ladies room floor a little cleaner but we're talking the public not the reservation crowd.(Have you seen the reservation crowd's ladies room? Let's not go there!) In times of economic hardship staffing can be difficult. HOWEVER, NOT SO AT BLACKHAWK FAMILY. If you have a problem you have the right to speak up! I've found the wait staff to listen and try to please every request. If they don't have an answer for you they will get one and if it's an answer you do not like it didn't come from the wait staff - most likely the owner! Being friendly starts at the top. If you're in a hurry go to Culvers. If you want to talk and have a family meal together, go to "FAMILY".
melissa

Sauk City, WI

#17 Nov 23, 2010
actually the food is nasty!!! i dnt think anything is homemade.. the first and only time i was there my food had a hair but it did not look like a persons hair it looked like a cats hair that was not good at all. and besides i could see the cook cooking and touching the food and talking on the phone. i would not recommend to go there and the staff really rude one of the girls told my friend to not order chicken because they have it on the floor in the back cooler what kind of comment was that ?? but thats all i have to say beacause if i keep going my fingers are going to get tired.. but yea i would not recommend to go there at all
yummy

United States

#18 Dec 27, 2010
loved everthing about it
Nasty

New Holstein, WI

#19 May 24, 2011
I can't believe how bad the food was. I had a few friends that worked there and they said it wasn't too bad. so me and my family went to go an try it out. My burger had a hair in it and my moms stir fry did as well. Also my little sister had chicken strips and they were not cooked at all. She know does not eat chicken because of that. I think a "family" restraunt should be fun and have people that are happy to be there. Why would i go there to be served with no smile and the boss just sat on his butt at the counter. I watched the staff ask him questions and he ignored them. sorry not good!
Local Yokel

Prairie Du Sac, WI

#20 Mar 23, 2014
I will never eat at this nasty place again. My wife and I have tried 3 times and the food always seems old and warmed over. A lot of the food has some weird seasoning that I can't stand. I have had a basic breakfast of bacon, eggs and toast and it was fine, but I will never eat there again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sauk City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Culver's built on Indian Graves in Elizabethtow... (Dec '16) Aug '17 SomeoneWhoKnows 11
News Girl disappears from Wilderness Resort (Apr '13) Jun '17 Flavix 2
News Rural hospitals could lose special Medicare pay... (Sep '13) Sep '16 Crappy Medical Staff 7
Vote For Donald Trump (Mar '16) Mar '16 Vote For Trump 1
News Sauk County heroin bust involves father and son (Apr '14) Mar '15 The customer 3
Debate: Marijuana - Sauk City, WI (Aug '10) Dec '14 Citizen 8
chiropractic/physical therapy (Feb '12) Feb '12 newintown 1

Sauk City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sauk City Mortgages