Man who jumped to death at Mountain W...

Man who jumped to death at Mountain Winery was facing domestic viol...

There are 22 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Aug 20, 2010, titled Man who jumped to death at Mountain Winery was facing domestic viol.... In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

The San Jose man who jumped to his death during a concert at Saratoga's Mountain Winery was facing charges of assault with a firearm, domestic violence and false imprisonment, the Mercury News has learned.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Witness

San Francisco, CA

#1 Aug 20, 2010
This was a horrifying experience. My heart goes out to the musicians, the young children in the audience and those in the audience that collapsed in shock.

Special thanks to the physician in the black vest who reacted instantly and ran to assist.

The Mountain Winery staff was courteous and respectful under the very most difficult of circumstances.
Want more info

Alviso, CA

#2 Aug 20, 2010
This is puzzling. At first it sounds like a man who had messed up his life and didn't see a future, suddenly decides to end it with a flourish. But what triggered the decision then, at that moment? I wonder whether the band had just finished a particularly sad or contemplative song. Or a love song that filled him with remorse (the domestic violence and false imprisonment charge). There is a bigger story here, I think.

It is fortunate that he didn't take another with him. As deeply sad as suicide is, the method he chose was a narcissistic one -- dangerous to those on stage and psychologically harmful to everyone there.
anneshirley

United States

#3 Aug 20, 2010
I did not click play.
Is that actually a video of someone committing suicide?
no wonder indeed

United States

#4 Aug 20, 2010
anneshirley wrote:
I did not click play.
Is that actually a video of someone committing suicide?
no just people milling about afterward.
Cheap news

Benton Ridge, OH

#5 Aug 20, 2010
anneshirley wrote:
I did not click play.
Is that actually a video of someone committing suicide?
I'm sure that's what the Sentinel would like people to think (notice no caption).

Thankfully no, it's just a video of the emergency vehicles arriving at the scene.
Not Again

Aptos, CA

#7 Aug 20, 2010
Want more info wrote:
This is puzzling. At first it sounds like a man who had messed up his life and didn't see a future, suddenly decides to end it with a flourish. But what triggered the decision then, at that moment? I wonder whether the band had just finished a particularly sad or contemplative song. Or a love song that filled him with remorse (the domestic violence and false imprisonment charge). There is a bigger story here, I think.
It is fortunate that he didn't take another with him. As deeply sad as suicide is, the method he chose was a narcissistic one -- dangerous to those on stage and psychologically harmful to everyone there.
Your comment mirrored my thoughts as I read the article. For those familiar with the music of this band, some of their pieces are quite soulful and melancholy. Of course, I'm not implicating culpability here; the gentleman who took his own life was obviously profoundly distressed. Thank you for your observations, taking the discussion to a deeper level.
Whatever

Campbell, CA

#9 Aug 20, 2010
Not Again wrote:
<quoted text>
Your comment mirrored my thoughts as I read the article. For those familiar with the music of this band, some of their pieces are quite soulful and melancholy. Of course, I'm not implicating culpability here; the gentleman who took his own life was obviously profoundly distressed. Thank you for your observations, taking the discussion to a deeper level.
Yes, there music is quite soulful and melancholy but it's also hopeful. The lead singers of this group won the Academy Award last year for best song "Falling Slowly" in the movie 'Once'. Great singers you can hear them in the url below:

&fe ature=related
just saying

Walnut Creek, CA

#10 Aug 20, 2010
You know, if you want to kill yourself, spare innocent bystanders the horror of being witnesses.
James Anderson Merritt

San Francisco, CA

#11 Aug 20, 2010
Cheap news wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure that's what the Sentinel would like people to think (notice no caption).
Thankfully no, it's just a video of the emergency vehicles arriving at the scene.
There are also "pop-up" style call-out balloons to show where the lead singer was standing and where the jumper hit the stage.

I'm wondering who had the video camera. Whenever we go there, we have to show the gatekeepers that we have no recording devices. I suppose that a cell phone could have taken the 40 seconds of video, but the quality is better than I have seen from cell phones. Maybe I need to upgrade.
Lion

San Francisco, CA

#12 Aug 20, 2010
Glen was joking and singing with the audience when this happened. Prior, it was just Colm onstage playing a traditional Irish tune on the violin. It was an upbeat, lively point in the show. So much so that many of us thought it was a prank at first.

Doubtful there was any relationship between the music and this action.
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there music is quite soulful and melancholy but it's also hopeful. The lead singers of this group won the Academy Award last year for best song "Falling Slowly" in the movie 'Once'. Great singers you can hear them in the url below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =yzQ9VrnNQLQXX&feature=rel ated
Want More Info

Alviso, CA

#14 Aug 20, 2010
Lion wrote:
Glen was joking and singing with the audience when this happened. Prior, it was just Colm onstage playing a traditional Irish tune on the violin. It was an upbeat, lively point in the show. So much so that many of us thought it was a prank at first.
Doubtful there was any relationship between the music and this action.
<quoted text>
I don't want anyone to think I was implicating the band! I just wonder what would motivate a person who is at a joyful event like a concert -- with a friend, no less -- to do this. What clicked in his brain?
Want More Info

Alviso, CA

#16 Aug 20, 2010
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there music is quite soulful and melancholy but it's also hopeful. The lead singers of this group won the Academy Award last year for best song "Falling Slowly" in the movie 'Once'. Great singers you can hear them in the url below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =yzQ9VrnNQLQXX&feature=rel ated
Beautiful piece. But that song would put me in a melancholy mood.
Whatever

Campbell, CA

#17 Aug 20, 2010
Want More Info wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want anyone to think I was implicating the band! I just wonder what would motivate a person who is at a joyful event like a concert -- with a friend, no less -- to do this. What clicked in his brain?
What clicked in his brain to do what he did? Perhaps it was the prospect of 4-8 years in prison for ADW and false imprisonment along with the probability that he would become the property of some other person who commits ADW, domestic violence and false imprisonment on a daily basis in whatever correctional facility they reside in. Just a guess though
Want More Info

Alviso, CA

#18 Aug 20, 2010
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
What clicked in his brain to do what he did? Perhaps it was the prospect of 4-8 years in prison for ADW and false imprisonment along with the probability that he would become the property of some other person who commits ADW, domestic violence and false imprisonment on a daily basis in whatever correctional facility they reside in. Just a guess though
You don't get it, do you? There are (speaking very generally) two kinds of suicides. One person acts in desperation, rashly, with little or no planning. Something --large or small -- pushes this person over the edge, and he acts decisively. The other writes a script in his head and works on the details. He might tie up matters at home or with his finances, may find homes for pets or give away his possessions. He might acquire the pills or the weapon far in advance of the act, or stake out the cliff or bridge he plans to use.

This man went to a concert with a friend, which would imply that he, first, had a friend who cared for him and, second, was not in such a depression or panic that he could go out and enjoy himself. Therefore, it follows that perhaps something fell into place in his mind at that concert, and he came up with this idea. The other possibility is that he planned it all along, and had researched how to get up on the roof. That would be an extremely cruel thing to do to his friend.

Your prison scenario is twisted and inappropriate for this discussion. Why do so many posters bring up prison rape at every opportunity? Does it fascinate you, "Whatever"?
Want More Info

Alviso, CA

#19 Aug 20, 2010
Eff you Sentinel wrote:
I cannot believe you would post this video. S*I*C*K F*U*C*K*S.
You didn't view it, yet you post that? You need a psychiatrist, Fremont IP.

(FYI, all the video shows is the aftermath. And you cannot see anything that would excite you or insult the family of the deceased.)
slightly salty

Sausalito, CA

#20 Aug 20, 2010
wow that's so messed up, forcing so many people including kids to witness his death. no doubt many are traumatized by his final actions.
There

San Francisco, CA

#21 Aug 20, 2010
Want More Info wrote:
<quoted text>
Beautiful piece. But that song would put me in a melancholy mood.
They had not yet played "Falling Slowly".

Feel free to seek deeper meaning and empathy. I was there. I saw kids who were inflicted with vision of this man's selfish act. People were fainting. Heroes worked for nearly 30 minutes to save him. He took his last bow in front of 1900 innocent bystanders who did nothing to deserve the images and sounds that will haunt each of us for a lifetime. Sure, maybe he wanted to escape the consequences of his earlier violence. But he went out committing more emotional violence. So, no, I won't spend any cycles wondering about what drove him to do this. He made a series of choices and he hurt many along the way.
Santa Cruz Native

Minden, NV

#22 Aug 20, 2010
This guy was very selfish. People who had no connection to him, had to witness this horrible event.
Whatever

Campbell, CA

#23 Aug 20, 2010
'Want More Info' wrote:

"You don't get it, do you?"

Me: I get it that this guy offed himself in front a bunch of people more than likely in an act of desperation and it fits into his personality that he wants to be the center of attention. If anything it shows that he was only concerned about himself.

"This man went to a concert with a friend, which would imply that he, first, had a friend who cared for him and, second, was not in such a depression or panic that he could go out and enjoy himself."

Me: How do you know that he wasn't in a mode of depression or panic. How do you know he was enjoying himself or went out becuase he wanted to. Sure the guy had a friend, who may or may not have cared for him but that's irrelevant to the fact that this guy killed himself. Also in case you are blind to reality many people in our society live in a state of panic and depression and try to conceal it. Look at the state of drug and alcohol abuse and the current financial dilemma that is strangling the middle class in this country.

"Therefore, it follows that perhaps something fell into place in his mind at that concert, and he came up with this idea. That would be an extremely cruel thing to do to his friend."

Me:'Therefore, it follows that'......LOL ok Columbo how do you know what he was thinking? Maybe he was planning to kill himself all along and he hated the music and decided why listen to anymore of it and get it done now. I don't think he was concerned about how his friend would feel about his impending death and the cruelty of it all. As I said earlier he sounds like a selfish egotistical person who couldn't hold it together and decided to go out with a splash....literally.

"Your prison scenario is twisted and inappropriate for this discussion. Why do so many posters bring up prison rape at every opportunity? Does it fascinate you"

Me: The likelihood was that he would be going to prison for his crime so that's a reality we know of. It's not twisted to bring it up unless someone like yourself lives in an unrealistic world where assaulting your girlfriend with a shotgun and holding her against her will is a faux pas with an admonition that we don't do stuff like that in a civilized society as some sort of satisfactory mea culpa. Let me guess you're a Progressive Liberal right aka a hit and run artist with no conception of victimhood unless it's fits your paradigm of appropriate victims. Also I don't excited by prison rape nor am I fascinated by it I'm just a realist and know that unless you can handle yourself in prison without a shotgun you better expect to be targeted by those whom are devoid of a conscience and see you as prey. I'm sorry that hurts your sensitivities but I'm not your mommy and it's not my job to pat you on the back and tell you all is well. I guess you just don't get it, do you.

Since: May 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#25 Aug 21, 2010
There wrote:
<quoted text>
They had not yet played "Falling Slowly".
Feel free to seek deeper meaning and empathy. I was there. I saw kids who were inflicted with vision of this man's selfish act. People were fainting. Heroes worked for nearly 30 minutes to save him. He took his last bow in front of 1900 innocent bystanders who did nothing to deserve the images and sounds that will haunt each of us for a lifetime. Sure, maybe he wanted to escape the consequences of his earlier violence. But he went out committing more emotional violence. So, no, I won't spend any cycles wondering about what drove him to do this. He made a series of choices and he hurt many along the way.
Beautifully stated. I'm sorry you had to witness that.

If this guy lived his life as he staged his death, it's no wonder he was miserable. Perhaps if he had put others first once in a while, he wouldn't have had all of the problems he did. I have little empathy for narcissists such as this guy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saratoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News El Camino Hospital board restructures by adding... 15 hr Jerry Brown 5
Trump Does Eunuch Tango 22 hr notable quotes 1
Trump in Burkha Dancing Pix Mon Sensitive Materia... 1
Welcome to Download #1 Millionaire Dating App F... May 10 Hillary Cliton 2
News Business owners fed up with recent vandalism-spree (Sep '14) May 5 a-citizen 5
News Muslim Day: Bay Area faithful come to Sacrament... (Apr '15) May 3 Rick Fire 49
allentown ny inbred (Mar '09) Apr 26 togaparty 285

Saratoga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Saratoga Mortgages