Interstate 75 northbound is blocked i...

Interstate 75 northbound is blocked in Sarasota County; traffic...

There are 37 comments on the Bradenton Herald story from May 19, 2006, titled Interstate 75 northbound is blocked in Sarasota County; traffic.... In it, Bradenton Herald reports that:

The Florida Highway Patrol, as the result of a late-morning accident, has Interstate 75 northbound blocked in south Sarasota County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bradenton Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Katherine

United States

#1 May 19, 2006
This is a disgrace! An accident that happened at 10:30 this morning had traffic backed up to North Port at 2:30pm. Why? Why does it take so long to clear the road? Why can't the vehicles be pushed to the side of the road and then investigated? We sat in stopped traffic from exit 179 up to exit 195, and finally gave up because everything in front of us was still stopped as far as the eye could see. Wasted hours just sitting and using gas! There must be another way to handle the accidents caused by such careless, and thoughtless drivers that I see everyday. One immediate solution would be to put STOP SIGNS at the end of every entrance ramp to the highway. The drivers I see everyday entering the highway (especially exits 193, 195 and 200, fail to give the right of way to the drivers that are on the highway. Does everyone in Florida use the "ME FIRST" attitude when using a lethal vehicle! There should be large billboards recommending "Driving is a priviledge - please use Courtesy" posted along Route 75. Another solution would be to lower the speed limit to a reasonable 65.
Andrea

Highwood, IL

#2 Jul 10, 2006
I agree w/Katherine, I used to live in Florida and use I-75
all the time. Even when you leave 1/2 hour early to work. You wind up late anyway. Due to the idiots on the road with no common sense on how to drive and cause accidents.
Russell

Tampa, FL

#3 Oct 1, 2007
When their are deaths involved in any accident the police or troopers have to do a full on-site investigation. That goes in any state, not just in Florida and our speed limit is just fine. If anything we need to retest the vision and reflexes of the elderly drivers EVERY YEAR after 70. We get drivers from all over on our roads that are used to different traffic patterns and driving conditions so that makes things worse for us. Take a deep breath, allow the merging traffic in, and if you see a black german sports-car coming up in your rear-view mirror PLEASE be courteous and move to the right.
Allison

Macomb, MI

#4 Oct 3, 2007
I agree with Russell. Drivers from all over the country come here and the different driving styles clash sometimes. The concept of merging doesn't seem to occur to the drivers already tooling along the highway and often those in the left lanes make it impossible for you to allow someone to merge as they get on the highway. While those already on the highway may have the right of way, tell that to the people on your tail as your coming up the ramp. So you were stuck on the highway for hours. It could have been worse...you could have been the cause of the traffic jam. In which case, you're friends would be posting a memorial blog.
MiamiSpartan1

Miami, FL

#5 Oct 5, 2007
One of the dead was the father of a good friend of mine here in Miami. OUr thoughts and prayers go out to his family at this time...
Andrea

Venice, FL

#6 Jan 3, 2008
People need to stay in the right hand lane (the slow lane) and if they need to pass use the left lane for passing. I know at all times this isn't possible but use it as a rule to go by while interstate driving. PLEASE!!!!!
Kindone

AOL

#7 Jan 3, 2008
I have taken a SmithSystem defensive driving course in the past. It teaches alot of good techniques..I recommend it to everyone. Also, be aware of your conditions at all times. And be kind.
tac

Sarasota, FL

#8 Feb 26, 2008
Katherine wrote:
This is a disgrace! An accident that happened at 10:30 this morning had traffic backed up to North Port at 2:30pm. Why? Why does it take so long to clear the road? Why can't the vehicles be pushed to the side of the road and then investigated? We sat in stopped traffic from exit 179 up to exit 195, and finally gave up because everything in front of us was still stopped as far as the eye could see. Wasted hours just sitting and using gas! There must be another way to handle the accidents caused by such careless, and thoughtless drivers that I see everyday. One immediate solution would be to put STOP SIGNS at the end of every entrance ramp to the highway. The drivers I see everyday entering the highway (especially exits 193, 195 and 200, fail to give the right of way to the drivers that are on the highway. Does everyone in Florida use the "ME FIRST" attitude when using a lethal vehicle! There should be large billboards recommending "Driving is a priviledge - please use Courtesy" posted along Route 75. Another solution would be to lower the speed limit to a reasonable 65.
actually entering traffic has right of way, you are suppose to yield to them, check your dmv handbook
tac

Sarasota, FL

#9 Feb 26, 2008
actually entering traffic has right of way, you are suppose to yield to them, check your dmv handbook
Do NOTt understand

Tampa, FL

#10 Feb 26, 2008
I agree lets lower that speed limit!!! it is absolutelly the most dangerous....but talk to our politians who decided that it was OK to approve the increase and it is OK to go wild and make folks move over that are actually driving the speed limit posted so one can drive way over the speed limit!!! and by the way I speak for a very large young population that has had it!!! One thing it is not just us Floridian that drive wildly but the 80M and some +++ that visit our state and just don't care when they get here it is just lassez faire attitude and cigs all out the window as well...anything goes!!
Retired race car driver

Naples, FL

#11 Mar 22, 2008
"Speed kills" is incorrect -- it's the difference in speed that is deadly dangerous. Some drivers drive faster than their reflexes and pose a danger to all.

On a heavily-travelled route like I75, courtesy is absolutely necessary. Try "drive right, pass left, don't tailgate" -- it's easy, more comfortable and much less tiring!

Have a safe trip..........
Retired Teamster NYC Area

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Apr 25, 2008
I agree with many , stay in the right hand lane too many don't know where it is , stop being a left lane cop , also too many don't know where or how to put on thier headlights , not only during inclement weather , but 1 hr b/4 sunset & 1 hr after sunrise. Florida should have headlights on 24/7 , been here 10 years ,have seen safety , common sense disappear and replaced by the idiot on the cell phone not only here but ALL OVER The States .YAK YAK YAK..saying nothing
Paul

AOL

#13 May 18, 2008
I agree speed doesn't kill it's poor driving skills ans being inattentive when driving changing the radio putting your cup in the cup holder paying attention to the kids all of these cause accidents equally as much
Susan

Duluth, GA

#14 Nov 9, 2008
tac wrote:
<quoted text>
actually entering traffic has right of way, you are suppose to yield to them, check your dmv handbook
I don't know what book you are reading, but traffic entering onto the highway YIELDS to traffic already on the road. It's individuals like you that cause accidents. You'd better brush up on your driving skills!
venetian

United States

#15 Nov 19, 2008
Susan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what book you are reading, but traffic entering onto the highway YIELDS to traffic already on the road. It's individuals like you that cause accidents. You'd better brush up on your driving skills!
tac is correct. The on-ramp is actually called the acceleration lane. You are supposed to be going at least 45mph (lowest legal speed limit on the interstate) as you enter traffic. If you are stopped at the end of the acceleration lane, you will be very unsafely pulling onto the interstate 45 mph below the legal speed limit & creating a serious potential for collision. That is why there is no stop signs or signals on that lane.
stan

Sarasota, FL

#16 Feb 3, 2009
tac wrote:
<quoted text>
actually entering traffic has right of way, you are suppose to yield to them, check your dmv handbook
you are nuts if you think interstate traffic yields to oncoming traffic. go back to whatever state you lived before!
stan

Sarasota, FL

#17 Feb 3, 2009
You are nuts if you think interstate traffic yields to oncoming traffic. go back to whatever state you lived before!
venetian

Nokomis, FL

#19 Mar 11, 2009
The interstate traffic doesn't have to yeild, just speed up or slow down to allow accelerating traffic to enter. There is plenty of room & the interstate is designed to flow. Stubborn drivers are what makes it dangerous for others.
kim

Tampa, FL

#20 Apr 1, 2009
I can't believe these people who accutually don't know that you need to allow for oncoming traffic! All this time I thought people were being rude not allowing me to get "in" and now I'm finding that it's just ignorance that's keeping me from freely moving onto the highway. I agree with tac and venetian, someone driving in the right hand lane on the highway does need to slow down or speed up or even move over one lane to allow for on coming traffic!
Brad North Port Fl

Sarasota, FL

#21 Apr 21, 2009
You said it COMMON SENSE ... People down here dont have the slightest clue what that is!!!! IF COMMON SENSE WAS COMMON EVERYONE WOULD HAVE IT!!!
Andrea wrote:
I agree w/Katherine, I used to live in Florida and use I-75
all the time. Even when you leave 1/2 hour early to work. You wind up late anyway. Due to the idiots on the road with no common sense on how to drive and cause accidents.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sarasota Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why so many drug addicts, homeless, and stupid ... (Mar '11) Aug 12 Floridagal 292
News Huge hole shuts down part of Casey Key Road in ... Aug 11 jon 2
Sarasota 1980's-1990's (Oct '09) Aug 4 CLM 62
In need of a Realtor.. Aug 2 LisaAnn1091 1
I'm so bored in Sarasota...... (Mar '14) Jul 29 zionist dark web 20
Corrupt Sarasota Judges Trick land innocent wom... (Apr '14) Jul 28 erhard milch raphan 32
News Man arrested for trespassing at Riverview High Jul 28 erhard milch raphan 8

Sarasota Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sarasota Mortgages