Police: Malone man nabbed with 119 pounds of marijuana

Dec 14, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Press-Republican

Disqus Police: Malone man nabbed with 119 pounds of marijuana Press-Republican Plattsburgh Press Republican Tue Dec 14, 2010, 03:49 PM EST SARANAC LAKE - A Malone man was recently jailed after he was allegedly caught with about 119 pounds of marijuana.

Comments
1 - 20 of 93 Comments Last updated Apr 27, 2011
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
squeaky

Boonville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Dec 15, 2010
 

Judged:

4

4

3

way to go guys, catch as many of those dope pushing scums as you can!
Go bikers

La Fayette, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Dec 15, 2010
 

Judged:

3

wow for reall I didnt think i would be reading his name as a big time drug smuggler. Guess thats what happens when good paying factory jobs like GM move out of the North Country!
Seems to me

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Dec 15, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Seems to me that this area could use all the cash crops it can get.
maxx peabody

Boonville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Dec 15, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Seems to me that you are a douche bag my friend.

Since: Jun 10

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Dec 15, 2010
 

Judged:

8

6

2

Dope pushing scum? I've never heard of anyone "pushing" marijuana onto anyone; it sells itself. They need to spend more time combating the prescription drugs that are bought and sold illegally; prescription narcotics (unlike pot) kill people.

Get off of your moral high ground squeaky, using marijuana is not an immoral act, it is illegal; there is a difference and that will change. What do you have to gain from keeping it illegal? Nothing. If you think that smoking weed turns people into Cheech and Chong you need to rely less heavily on the pop culture aspects of marijuana, and spend more time reading the scientific literature about it.

You lose a lot: you alienate yourself from people because you are an asshole, you pay more taxes because keeping it illegal and locking up all "users and pushers" is expensive, and lastly you appear completely ignorant to anyone who knows anything about marijuana.

If you think marijuana should remain illegal than you should also believe that alcohol and cigarettes should be outlawed; otherwise your beliefs hold no merit because of a lack of consistency, and are merely opinions constructed with a lack of knowledge. If you have no desire to learn, you will remain stuck in the same place looking at the world through opaque lenses.

I have to concede the point that nobody needs 119 pounds of chronic, but people who sell marijuana should not be classified as criminals, they should be considered persecuted public servants who are filling a void created by an unjust, illogical, and non-scientific classification of marijuana as a schedule 1 narcotic. The only crime involved is tax evasion, because there is no tax system.

Since: Jan 09

Lake Placid, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Dec 15, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

2

I question your argument.
On one hand, I have had a child who was addicted to marijuana. His life went into the toilet. He cared about nothing. He was arrested a number of times and was in rehab twice – once for 30 days and again for 6 months. This had no long term effect. The entire family received counseling. It was a terrible part of our lives. I have lived it. I know what it can do to a person and a family.

On the other hand if you believe marijuana has medicinal benefit, what is wrong with prescribed forms to THC?

From the National Institute on Drug Abuse

“The cannabis plant contains active ingredients with therapeutic potential for relieving pain, controlling nausea, stimulating appetite, and decreasing ocular pressure. Cannabinoid-based medications include synthetic compounds, such as dronabinol (Marinol®) and nabilone (Cesamet®), which are FDA approved, and a new, chemically pure mixture of plant-derived THC and cannabidiol called Sativex®, formulated as a mouth spray and approved in Canada and parts of Europe for the relief of cancer-associated pain and spasticity and neuropathic pain in multiple sclerosis.”
My father was prescribed Marinol when he was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer. It did help his appetite and sleep.

I do think that our world would be better off without cigarettes and alcohol. I have no problem with huge raises in “sin taxes” to make these items more and more unaffordable. Politicians will never do the right thing and make them illegal.(By the way, marijuana smoke has many of the same toxic chemical found in tobacco smoke.
I don’t want to have to worry about my child driving down the road and being hit by someone whose ability is impaired by alcohol or marijuana. Just one more factor in some ones mother or child being taken from them by a driver had diminished abilities because of alcohol, marijuana or texting.
If your belief is that you have a legal right to smoke dope, I disagree. I also disagree with the stiff sentences for possession and sale of just marijuana. Rehab and community service are a better punishment than incarceration if the only problem is marijuana. I also have lived with Marijuana dependency and addiction.

Prescribe THC for medicinal reasons YES Smoke Marijuana to get high No

http://drugabuse.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html
squeaky

Boonville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Dec 15, 2010
 

Judged:

4

3

2

Absurd-APP wrote:
Dope pushing scum? I've never heard of anyone "pushing" marijuana onto anyone; it sells itself. They need to spend more time combating the prescription drugs that are bought and sold illegally; prescription narcotics (unlike pot) kill people.
Get off of your moral high ground squeaky, using marijuana is not an immoral act, it is illegal; there is a difference and that will change. What do you have to gain from keeping it illegal? Nothing. If you think that smoking weed turns people into Cheech and Chong you need to rely less heavily on the pop culture aspects of marijuana, and spend more time reading the scientific literature about it.
You lose a lot: you alienate yourself from people because you are an asshole, you pay more taxes because keeping it illegal and locking up all "users and pushers" is expensive, and lastly you appear completely ignorant to anyone who knows anything about marijuana.
If you think marijuana should remain illegal than you should also believe that alcohol and cigarettes should be outlawed; otherwise your beliefs hold no merit because of a lack of consistency, and are merely opinions constructed with a lack of knowledge. If you have no desire to learn, you will remain stuck in the same place looking at the world through opaque lenses.
I have to concede the point that nobody needs 119 pounds of chronic, but people who sell marijuana should not be classified as criminals, they should be considered persecuted public servants who are filling a void created by an unjust, illogical, and non-scientific classification of marijuana as a schedule 1 narcotic. The only crime involved is tax evasion, because there is no tax system.
You ask any truthful drug addict. I'm talking crack, meth, coke or heroin and everyone one of them will say it all started with marijuana. People like you, who are unable to handle reality without getting stoned on something make me sick. You are weak, so you make excuses for your weakness. You can make it all sound like it's a political problem as much as you like...the fact of the matter is if you had a set of nuts you wouldn't need to be puffing on that bong.
truth

Lake Placid, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Dec 15, 2010
 

Judged:

3

who cares if someone wants to smoke weed to deal with life, its better then drinking or popping pills

Since: Jun 10

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Dec 15, 2010
 

Judged:

3

2

1

squeaky wrote:
<quoted text>You ask any truthful drug addict. I'm talking crack, meth, coke or heroin and everyone one of them will say it all started with marijuana. People like you, who are unable to handle reality without getting stoned on something make me sick. You are weak, so you make excuses for your weakness. You can make it all sound like it's a political problem as much as you like...the fact of the matter is if you had a set of nuts you wouldn't need to be puffing on that bong.
I am not weak, nor nut less. You avoid the biggest problem with your argument by stating that "people like you, who are unable to handle reality without getting stoned..." what about people who drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes or drink coffee? All are mind altering substances. Most people I have met had their first drug encounter with cigarettes or alcohol, nobody skips right to pot. Since you seem to be a "gateway drug theorist" you need to be reminded that just because tobacco and alcohol are regulated does not mean that they are not drugs.

Make excuses for what? Your the one who has to resort to unfounded cheap shots. I don't need to go out of my way to be a dickhead to you because you show what kind of a person you are by your response; your like the kid in school who gets mad when they are wrong rather than looking to find out why they were wrong. Very mature.

I wish I were as perfect as you think you are in all of your sobriety. Why don't you try responding... instead of slinging cheap insults towards someone you know nothing about.

P.S. Thank you for paying taxes and providing for my (expensive) private education... Not through welfare, through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I have documentation that I am not weak or nutless, it is a combat action ribbon; you are the weak nutless one, and your argument is so flawed you have to resort to name calling and blessing us with you ignorance.

It is people like you, who lack tolerance, that are the real plague of the earth, not a plant that has never killed anyone.

Since: Jun 10

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Dec 15, 2010
 
Almost Me wrote:
I question your argument.
On one hand, I have had a child who was addicted to marijuana. His life went into the toilet. He cared about nothing. He was arrested a number of times and was in rehab twice – once for 30 days and again for 6 months. This had no long term effect. The entire family received counseling. It was a terrible part of our lives. I have lived it. I know what it can do to a person and a family.
On the other hand if you believe marijuana has medicinal benefit, what is wrong with prescribed forms to THC?
From the National Institute on Drug Abuse
“The cannabis plant contains active ingredients with therapeutic potential for relieving pain, controlling nausea, stimulating appetite, and decreasing ocular pressure. Cannabinoid-based medications include synthetic compounds, such as dronabinol (Marinol®) and nabilone (Cesamet®), which are FDA approved, and a new, chemically pure mixture of plant-derived THC and cannabidiol called Sativex®, formulated as a mouth spray and approved in Canada and parts of Europe for the relief of cancer-associated pain and spasticity and neuropathic pain in multiple sclerosis.”
My father was prescribed Marinol when he was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer. It did help his appetite and sleep.
I do think that our world would be better off without cigarettes and alcohol. I have no problem with huge raises in “sin taxes” to make these items more and more unaffordable. Politicians will never do the right thing and make them illegal.(By the way, marijuana smoke has many of the same toxic chemical found in tobacco smoke.
I don’t want to have to worry about my child driving down the road and being hit by someone whose ability is impaired by alcohol or marijuana. Just one more factor in some ones mother or child being taken from them by a driver had diminished abilities because of alcohol, marijuana or texting.
If your belief is that you have a legal right to smoke dope, I disagree. I also disagree with the stiff sentences for possession and sale of just marijuana. Rehab and community service are a better punishment than incarceration if the only problem is marijuana. I also have lived with Marijuana dependency and addiction.
Prescribe THC for medicinal reasons YES Smoke Marijuana to get high No
http://drugabuse.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html
You highlight the main problem of prohibition with your story. Marijuana did not do all that stuff, it was the criminal justice system, or family court, or some other means. Almost 270 days in rehab for a marijuana addiction? The worst part is he probably got laughed at by "real" drug addicts. Marijuana has been shown to be psychologically addictive, not physiologically addictive. Eating cake can be addictive, and by the looks of Franklin County the number of cake addicts must be in the thousands.

I appreciate your consistency with your views about the other legal drugs, but I do not think that the government should be telling me what I can and cannot put into my body. If I put something into my body and it makes me do some crazy shit by all means, nail me to a cross, but to criminalize the consumption of one of the safest therapeutic substances known to man is just fucking crazy. The carcinogens that marijuana and tobacco share are only present if the pot is smoked.

The THC pills, according to cancer patients, do not work as well as smoked (or vaporized) marijuana. They take to long to take effect, and "overdosing" in the form of a weed nap is common with the pills.

It's easier to stomach the idea that "my kid is addicted to weed" than it is to accept "my kid is a lazy."

NIDA is the government office that actively restricts experimentation on marijuana unless the intent is to find the dangers of it; experiments that seek to explore the benefits are almost unilaterally denied funding. All of the "positive" findings about marijuana comes from studies that aimed to find it bad.
For what its worth

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Dec 15, 2010
 
Absurd-APP wrote:
<quoted text>
You highlight the main problem of prohibition with your story. Marijuana did not do all that stuff, it was the criminal justice system, or family court, or some other means. Almost 270 days in rehab for a marijuana addiction? The worst part is he probably got laughed at by "real" drug addicts. Marijuana has been shown to be psychologically addictive, not physiologically addictive. Eating cake can be addictive, and by the looks of Franklin County the number of cake addicts must be in the thousands.
Too FUNNY man - too funny. And you're right. It's never been shown that marijuana was addicting in the way that crack or coke can and is.
I appreciate your consistency with your views about the other legal drugs, but I do not think that the government should be telling me what I can and cannot put into my body. If I put something into my body and it makes me do some crazy shit by all means, nail me to a cross, but to criminalize the consumption of one of the safest therapeutic substances known to man is just fucking crazy. The carcinogens that marijuana and tobacco share are only present if the pot is smoked.
Yes, and marijuana is worse for your lungs due to the fact that it's directly inhaled, and no filtering. Much worse than a regular filtered cigarette.
The THC pills, according to cancer patients, do not work as well as smoked (or vaporized) marijuana. They take to long to take effect, and "overdosing" in the form of a weed nap is common with the pills.
It's easier to stomach the idea that "my kid is addicted to weed" than it is to accept "my kid is a lazy."
NIDA is the government office that actively restricts experimentation on marijuana unless the intent is to find the dangers of it; experiments that seek to explore the benefits are almost unilaterally denied funding. All of the "positive" findings about marijuana comes from studies that aimed to find it bad.
Too true my friend - too true.

Since: Jun 10

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Dec 15, 2010
 
@ Almost Me- You highlight the main problem of prohibition with your story. Marijuana did not do all that stuff, it was the criminal justice system, or family court, or some other means. Almost 270 days in rehab for a marijuana addiction? The worst part is he probably got laughed at by "real" drug addicts. Marijuana has been shown to be psychologically addictive, not physiologically addictive. Eating cake can be addictive, and by the looks of Franklin County the number of cake addicts must be in the thousands; lets start sending some of the local fat asses to rehab.

I appreciate your consistency with your views about the other legal drugs, but I do not think that the government should be telling me what I can and cannot put into my body. If I put something into my body and it makes me do some crazy shit by all means, nail me to a cross, but to criminalize the consumption of one of the safest therapeutic substances known to man is just fucking crazy. The carcinogens that marijuana and tobacco share are only present if the pot is smoked.

The THC pills, according to cancer patients, do not work as well as smoked (or vaporized) marijuana. They take to long to take effect, and "overdosing" in the form of a weed nap is common with the pills.

It's easier to stomach the idea that "my kid is addicted to weed" than it is to accept the idea that "my kid is a lazy and apathetic." Some people would rather be "addicts" than "losers."

NIDA is the government office that actively restricts experimentation on marijuana unless the intent is to find the dangers of it; experiments that seek to explore the benefits are almost unilaterally denied funding. All of the "positive" findings about marijuana comes from studies that aimed to find it bad. NIDA is not the objective body of scientific knowledge you believe it to be, it is cleverly disguised prohibitionist rhetoric which is far from objective. Relying on NIDA is like listening to a debate about abortion from only one side.

Since: Jan 09

Lake Placid, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Dec 15, 2010
 
You highlight the main problem of prohibition with your story. Marijuana did not do all that stuff, it was the criminal justice system, or family court, or some other means. Almost 270 days in rehab for a marijuana addiction? The worst part is he probably got laughed at by "real" drug addicts. Marijuana has been shown to be psychologically addictive, not physiologically addictive. Eating cake can be addictive, and by the looks of Franklin County the number of cake addicts must be in the thousands.

It's easier to stomach the idea that "my kid is addicted to weed" than it is to accept "my kid is a lazy."
__________
I object to these two items in your discourse. Whether he was psychologically addicted or physiologically addicted makes no differences. This was a top student and a good athlete who lost 4 years out of his life due to marijuana. And he wasn't laughed at by the coke and heroin addicts. They seemed to understand that he was addicted.

I am not making excuses for him being lazy or unmotivated. I know the difference between lazy and addiction.

You are quick to dismiss other information just as some people are quick to dismiss information on studies of THC's medicinal properties.

Enough from me. You are convinced you are right. I cannot change your mind with my experiences. We will have to occur to disagree without being disagreeable.
Seems to me

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Dec 15, 2010
 

Judged:

1

maxx peabody wrote:
Seems to me that you are a douche bag my friend.
Careful, buddy, your New Hartford is showing.
Seems to me

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Dec 15, 2010
 

Judged:

4

3

2

So I wonder just how much cash this bust took out of the local economy? More if it was grown here, less if brought in from Canada, but think about it. Bills would have gotten paid, stuff would have gotten purchased, home repairs and home building might have gone on, taxes would have been paid. Now I wonder, just what was the total value of cash that was taken out of the local economy so these officers could feel better about themselves and their careers?

Doesn't anyone else wonder why there was such an odd ammount? I mean, 119 pounds??? Perhaps some of the stuff WILL make it into the local economy. Perhaps some or all of the arresting officers lined their pockets. Perhaps some or all of the officers line their pockets habitually, with each and every bust.
free the leaf

Brooklyn, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Dec 16, 2010
 

Judged:

1

legalize and/or tax it already.
www.facebook.com/free.the.leaf
cannabis=industry.medicine.pea ce.

Since: Jun 10

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Dec 16, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

1

Almost Me wrote:
You highlight the main problem of prohibition with your story. Marijuana did not do all that stuff, it was the criminal justice system, or family court, or some other means. Almost 270 days in rehab for a marijuana addiction? The worst part is he probably got laughed at by "real" drug addicts. Marijuana has been shown to be psychologically addictive, not physiologically addictive. Eating cake can be addictive, and by the looks of Franklin County the number of cake addicts must be in the thousands.
It's easier to stomach the idea that "my kid is addicted to weed" than it is to accept "my kid is a lazy."
__________
I object to these two items in your discourse. Whether he was psychologically addicted or physiologically addicted makes no differences. This was a top student and a good athlete who lost 4 years out of his life due to marijuana. And he wasn't laughed at by the coke and heroin addicts. They seemed to understand that he was addicted.
I am not making excuses for him being lazy or unmotivated. I know the difference between lazy and addiction.
You are quick to dismiss other information just as some people are quick to dismiss information on studies of THC's medicinal properties.
Enough from me. You are convinced you are right. I cannot change your mind with my experiences. We will have to occur to disagree without being disagreeable.
I just want to make one thing clear, I'm not advocating for medical marijuana, I'm advocating for the legalization of marijuana.

Addiction is a convenient scapegoat for a lack of responsibility, or an allergy. If I were allergic to peanuts I would not eat them, similarly if every time I drank alcohol I broke out in handcuffs I would not drink, and if smoking dope transformed me from an honors student athlete into a slacker I wouldn't smoke weed. You might say "it is not that simple" but the fact is that it is just that simple.

If some people (because it is surely not all) cannot manage to consume these substances without life altering consequences they should not use them, it is not a reason to ban them from everyone. It is all about personal responsibility.

Your negative experiences with marijuana are yours to report on, but just because you couldn't handle the weed doesn't mean that everyone else should be deprived of the ability to indulge in a mildly intoxicating substance that is many times safer than alcohol. I'm not saying it is harmless, but it is less harmful than every one of the legal drugs on the market.
Community2

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Dec 16, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Governments are going broke at every level. It's time our society invested our tax dollars where there is a positive return - how about a railroad or a school!

Prosecuting pot smokers is a perfect example of negative tax investment. It is waging war on the citizens. STOP IT! Vote in representatives who care. Which means get rid of Betty Little (Conservative = Government on my back!)
Seems to me

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Dec 16, 2010
 
Community2 wrote:
Governments are going broke at every level. It's time our society invested our tax dollars where there is a positive return - how about a railroad or a school!
Prosecuting pot smokers is a perfect example of negative tax investment. It is waging war on the citizens. STOP IT! Vote in representatives who care. Which means get rid of Betty Little (Conservative = Government on my back!)
Yes, absolutely, and I'm beginning to think Bill Owens is nothing but a wind sock.
Seems to me

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Dec 16, 2010
 

Judged:

2

Alcohol is addictive and it's bought and sold every day, legally. As are cigarettes. And regardless of what anyone says, marijuana is NOT addictive. Some people form a psychological dependence on it, these are the same people who claim they're addicted to jelly beans, etc. That is a personal problem, not a societal problem. It makes no sense to continue to pursue a ridiculous war on drugs, which does absolutely nothing but turn good people into criminals. Especially in this are, which would profit immensely if marijuana were legal. Not to mention the disrespect for all laws that any stupid law (like the pot laws) fosters. Legalize it, tax sales, it's a no brainer.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Saranac Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Legislature OKs NCCC budget 4 hr rudense 6
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Aug 19 College Professor 6,391
Upscale Retail junk store Aug 11 lookin4info 1
Upscale Resale Aug 11 lookin4info 1
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Aug 9 JEWISH VOICE 438
Dawn Aug 7 yup 1
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) Aug 7 dew4794 673

Search the Saranac Lake Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Saranac Lake Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Saranac Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Saranac Lake News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Saranac Lake
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••