Creation versus evolution debate

May 14, 2012 Full story: Examiner.com 270

On Saturday May 12, the Museum of Creation and Earth History in Santee, Calif. held a debate featuring Creation vs.

Full Story

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Iquique

#226 May 30, 2012
HGW wrote:
<quoted text>
Right I agree, but who/what created matter? You have faith that science can answer these questions. I have faith that God did it. We can agree to disagree respectfully.
You do know that it doesn't matter if you believe evolution or not. It is a true phenomenon that we KNOW has been working on the earth for about three and a half billion years. It doesn't require your support at all.

There is nothing you write about or talk about that can dislodge the fact of evolution.

With all the other stuff we know it's pretty probable that there is no God either.

Iquique

#227 May 30, 2012
HGW wrote:
<quoted text>
Then who made Gravity?
Mass made gravity

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#228 May 30, 2012
The Nerd wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say anything was wrong with it.
<quoted text>
I never said I believe they were all identical. I just ask for an example of evolution occurring and you gave me an example that starts with bacteria and ends with bacteria.
But you admit that that example proves evolution otherwise you would have some criticism and as you pointed out in your first sentence above, you don't.

Saying "starts from bacteria and ends with bacteria" is the same thing as saying "starts from a T-Rex and ends with a blue whale" except that there is far more variety in bacteria than between a T-rex and a blue whale.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#229 May 31, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Define "fine tuning."
The ENTIRE UNIVERSE is fine-tuned because ONLY EARTH is capable of life.

(Therefore Goddidit with magic)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#230 May 31, 2012
HGW wrote:
<quoted text>
Then who made Gravity?
Fred.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#231 May 31, 2012
HGW wrote:
<quoted text>
Right I agree, but who/what created matter? You have faith that science can answer these questions. I have faith that God did it. We can agree to disagree respectfully.
Science doesn't rely on faith. It uses evidence. Science may or may not be able to answer these questions, but "Goddidit (with magic)" is not an explanation. It is a "who", not a "how", and it's a claim without evidence. However IF any explanations can be found, it's only science that will find them. "Goddidit" is simply another way of saying "I don't know." Science says "We don't know YET, let's see what we can do to find out."

Religion and science are two separate subjects. They are not equals. They shouldn't be attempted to be portrayed as such.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#232 May 31, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that it doesn't matter if you believe evolution or not. It is a true phenomenon that we KNOW has been working on the earth for about three and a half billion years. It doesn't require your support at all.
There is nothing you write about or talk about that can dislodge the fact of evolution.
With all the other stuff we know it's pretty probable that there is no God either.
For (a) "God" there is no evidence either way. As a non-falsifiable concept it's pretty useless for science. We CAN however say it's pretty probable that Biblical literalism is just plain wrong.

Iquique

#233 May 31, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
The ENTIRE UNIVERSE is fine-tuned because ONLY EARTH is capable of life.
(Therefore Goddidit with magic)
The earth and universe has been around WAAAAAYY longer than us humans.

I think WE are fine tuned to fit the earth and universe...:-)

Iquique

#234 Jun 4, 2012
Is anybody out there??

Since: Apr 09

Kitty Hawk, NC

#235 Jun 5, 2012
"Is anybody out there?"

Just ask Unarius on South Magnolia Street!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#236 Jun 5, 2012
History according to the zealots:

Since: Nov 11

Auckland, New Zealand

#237 Jun 19, 2012
LOL Why is it that Creationists come to forums to debate and then cry when they get their asses kicked? You CHOSE to argue, so why the complaints?

Location hidden

#238 Jun 21, 2012
glasspilot wrote:
"Is anybody out there?"

Just ask Unarius on South Magnolia Street!
Unarius is still there? Must be low rent.
THE BAPTIST

Belmont, NC

#239 Jan 3, 2013
TedHOhio wrote:
While many have issues with debates like this, usually in how it can lend credence to Creationism where no credence should be given. I think the key to educating the public on science and evolution in particular are debates such as these.
Ignoring Creationists certainly hasn't made them go away. We need to address the issues in public forums. We all know that we are never going to convince a hard-core Creationist, but what about the people who aren't hard-core yet? Ignoring the situation because it might be seem as to give an unearned level of legitimacy will only help harden Creationists, especially if the only way they can hear a countervailing opinion is by taking a biology class -- and how many are going to be willing to do that?
Scientists should sharpen up their debating skills and engage more! Address their comments head-on, show the audience that science has actual evidence on it's side. You don't even have to address the religious issues, just address the claims. Show why the world isn't 6000 years old, why is evolution on of the most strongly supported theories in science, why the three stooges ...oops, sorry wrong post!
But you get my drift?
The first question to you ted,just what is a day to god,oops,thats something you do not beleive in,but nevertheless,i still pose that question to you?You can not answer that question as i can not either.The very fact that you ted are here and doubting a creator proves that there is a creator.If the human mind,did not have these doubts,then we would not exist or the universe would not exist either,for we would not have anything to wonder about.Just to be honest as i can,i take a leap of faith when i beleive that a creator exists,just as you do taking a leap of faith by saying everything you see on this world and into you see in the heavens,is also a leap of faith.Evolution is just as much a religion as christianity is or other beliefs in the world.One reason and most likely is the most important question that a person can ask,explain love to me ted.What is it?I am sure that if you are married,you must haved loved at one time or another.Children?Do you have children?And do you love them?See ted,the reason you can not explain love to me or anyone else,is because you apparently have not experienced it at all.But i doubt with out knowing you at all,that you have not experienced love at one time in your short life time here on earth.Thats just one sample of creation.But i do have other ways in cosmology,to explain creation.All you have to do,is ask me and i will answer you.
THE BAPTIST

Belmont, NC

#240 Jan 3, 2013
TedHOhio wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you have several valid points, but I still think scientists need to try harder. Yes, a basic understanding would help, but where does that framework come from? Primary and Secondary school education. Guess what's under attack? Without scientists being engaged, the attacks will continue and one of the reasons is because scientists aren't as involved as they should have.
As for Creationists getting trounced, I agree! And if scientists were more engaged in the debate, and more willing to debate creationists, rather than creationists using their unwillingness as a support point, scientists would gain that side of the debate. You're right, many would never show up or accept an invitation. Which is a victory in itself!Also,as to debating creation versus evolution.I am willing on this forum debate the subject matter.
Scientists who are willing to get engaged certainly add weight to the science side of the equation. Did you read about Tejon California attempting a 'Philosophy' class that really turned into a class on Creationism, ID, and Noah's flood. It took a student's parent, a rocket scientist, who uncovered it and protested. The class was stopped in spite of all the underhanded tactics used by the proponents. That's the type of involvement we need on a regular basis!
I am willing to debate the subject at hand .
THE BAPTIST

Belmont, NC

#241 Jan 3, 2013
InCrEaSe_ThE_PeAcE wrote:
LOL Why is it that Creationists come to forums to debate and then cry when they get their asses kicked? You CHOSE to argue, so why the complaints?
I the baptist,will not get my rear end busted on this subject.Just because some one disagrees with you is not crying.I am willing to take on all of you unbeleivers.We shall see if you doubters have anything to add,to convince any other creationist that evolution is a fact.We should have a good time at it.
THE BAPTIST

Belmont, NC

#242 Jan 3, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
There,is nothing in the fossils,that we have unearthed,that supports evolution.Even scientists who have knowledge about the fossil,if they are honest will admit that.

Valley Village, CA

#243 Jan 3, 2013
THE BAPTIST wrote:
<quoted text>I the baptist,will not get my rear end busted on this subject.Just because some one disagrees with you is not crying.I am willing to take on all of you unbeleivers.We shall see if you doubters have anything to add,to convince any other creationist that evolution is a fact.We should have a good time at it.
I'll make this argument very simple.

You are a baptist because your parents raised you that way. Your belief that your religion is correct is based on the fact that it's your religion, not some undeniable principle of the theology.

Had you been raised Catholic, you would have as much conviction that that was correct.

Had you been raised Hindu, then that would be your brand of belief.

And those various religions have serious contradictions between them.

You can not be "right" about being a Baptist _AND_ be equally "right" about being a "Hindu".

However, you _can_ be right about science no matter where you were born or how you were raised.

Science doesn't stem from your culture, but from man's ability to assess the world around him, measure it and explore it.

That is why there are Catholic scientists and Baptist scientists and Hindu scientists.

It's because you can have your fantasy AND still deal with reality.

You just can't expect to REPLACE reality with your fantasy.

Valley Village, CA

#244 Jan 3, 2013
THE BAPTIST wrote:
<quoted text>There,is nothing in the fossils,that we have unearthed,that supports evolution.Even scientists who have knowledge about the fossil,if they are honest will admit that.
This statement is ridiculous.

Let me ask you some very simple questions because debate requires that we both start from a similar understanding of the facts at hand.(I can't debate you about NASCAR if you don't believe in cars and I don't believe in tires).

1) Do you accept that individuals have DNA which is unique to them, yet similar to their parents? That this is the foundation of paternity testing and the reason you "have your mother's nose but your grandfather's chin"?

2) Do you accept that mutations occur which cause an individual to have a gene variant which is not present in either parent? For example, regular women are capable of having Down Syndrome Children.

3) Do you accept that one plus one is two, and that two plus one is three, etc etc etc such that any number you pick is reachable eventually by counting one at a time?

4) Do you accept that seven or "more different" from one than three is from one?

If you don't understand any of these statements, there's really no point in having a discussion on the topic at all.
THE BAPTIST

Belmont, NC

#245 Jan 3, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
This statement is ridiculous.
Let me ask you some very simple questions because debate requires that we both start from a similar understanding of the facts at hand.(I can't debate you about NASCAR if you don't believe in cars and I don't believe in tires).
1) Do you accept that individuals have DNA which is unique to them, yet similar to their parents? That this is the foundation of paternity testing and the reason you "have your mother's nose but your grandfather's chin"?
2) Do you accept that mutations occur which cause an individual to have a gene variant which is not present in either parent? For example, regular women are capable of having Down Syndrome Children.
3) Do you accept that one plus one is two, and that two plus one is three, etc etc etc such that any number you pick is reachable eventually by counting one at a time?
4) Do you accept that seven or "more different" from one than three is from one?
If you don't understand any of these statements, there's really no point in having a discussion on the topic at all.
I understandall of the above.Does not science tell you by tracing all animals and humans through the genetic code,that number one is that all humans came from two living human beings,one man and one woman.Also,same goes for animals.Take a dna sample from one dog and you can trace using the dna,back to one male dog and one female dog,thus creation prevails in your argument.Can you agree with science?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pro lifers are bigoted 13 hr Independent 2
Is Ken Rupe still an obnoxious a-hole (Dec '07) 14 hr he is a perv 23
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 17 hr RiccardoFire 16,008
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 22 hr El SupremoS 201,038
US stocks start lower Sun William Knight 54
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Sun No Time for Tea 5,084
Haunted House? (Aug '06) Sun anonymous 171

Santee Jobs

Santee People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Santee News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Santee

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]