Union Pacific to expand: $400 million...

Union Pacific to expand: $400 million railroad hub proposed for Santa Teresa

There are 49 comments on the El Paso Times story from Jan 7, 2011, titled Union Pacific to expand: $400 million railroad hub proposed for Santa Teresa. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Gov. Susana Martinez said she is hopeful that the New Mexico Legislature will approve the tax exemption that will allow "Union Pacific to start building and New Mexicans to start working." Click photo to enlarge New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez speaks at a conference Friday to announce Union Pacific's building of a rail hub near Santa Teresa.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Observer

El Paso, TX

#41 Jan 9, 2011
Rails, are you mad at your mom for farting you out? You should be. Cuz you got a big ol' mouth. You must be part of the tea-party.
_Arrrrrrr

AOL

#42 Jan 9, 2011
The matter is that Union Pacific is expanding into southern New Mexico, the railroad yards will still be in downtown El Paso spewing toxins into the air.

I always said that they should have located to Asarco instead, but Santa Teresa was the next best thing.

I dont think this will take jobs from El Paso but instead will make more El Pasoans go work in southern New Mexico.

Before long the Santa Teresa will become another El Paso suburb and the demographics will change putting all of Dona Anna county as part of the El Paso MSA.

When this happen within the next ten years El Paso's metro population will surge way past the one million marks.
Wendy

El Paso, TX

#43 Jan 10, 2011
The trains park their cars outside our homes as well. The conductor always has his window closed though, so he doesn't have to breathe the diesel exhaust coming from his own locomotive. When i close my windows and doors of my home, the exhaust still comes inside through the air-conditioner. We can't afford to move, either. I wish they would do something about this.
Pete

El Paso, TX

#45 Jan 10, 2011
The noise from the trains, the smoke they emit, and the speed at which they zip down the tracks all irritate me. The even crack my homes foundation and walls and sidewalks. Reroute the trains. I hate the dirty and noisy trains.
Food4thought

El Paso, TX

#46 Jan 10, 2011
How many people have the trains killed recently in El Paso alone? A whole bunch, including the teacher from Tornillo. What in the hec are the trains doing in residential areas anyway? Trains kill people.
Rocky

El Paso, TX

#47 Jan 10, 2011
Put trains in white neighborhoods. See how they like it.
rigo

El Paso, TX

#48 Jan 10, 2011
el paso city leaders are not business friendy period.
Obama bin Biden

El Paso, TX

#49 Jan 13, 2011
LOL wrote:
People the real winners is Santa Teresa, it has now become the border transportation hub. NMDPS - MTD is building a new port of entry for border trucks there that will also house federal DOT inspectors and railway inspectors. The jobs will go through the roof in Santa Teresa. This is huge for southern NM
I guess we can thank NAFTA for all those manufacturing jobs that went to Mexico for slave labor huh?

It's great isn't it?
StopTheChange

Moorpark, CA

#50 Jan 14, 2011
All those "Shovel Ready" jobs are a real boon,too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Teresa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pecan Brewery opening bottling facility in Lasa (Jun '16) Jun '16 Rio Damned 1
News Pope Francis Puts Responsibility for Immigratio... (Feb '16) Feb '16 wild child 8
News LCPD detective charged with sexually assaulting... (Sep '13) Oct '15 Insertion 8
Governor's energy plan sets up New Mexico for n... (Sep '15) Sep '15 John Ford 1
Andrew perea (Jul '15) Jul '15 needanswers 1
Group plans vigil against border brutality (Jun '15) Jun '15 Joe 1
News Pros, cons voiced over possible Santa Teresa Co... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Joe Sancho 2

Santa Teresa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Teresa Mortgages