Union Pacific to expand: $400 million...

Union Pacific to expand: $400 million railroad hub proposed for Santa Teresa

There are 49 comments on the El Paso Times story from Jan 7, 2011, titled Union Pacific to expand: $400 million railroad hub proposed for Santa Teresa. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Gov. Susana Martinez said she is hopeful that the New Mexico Legislature will approve the tax exemption that will allow "Union Pacific to start building and New Mexicans to start working." Click photo to enlarge New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez speaks at a conference Friday to announce Union Pacific's building of a rail hub near Santa Teresa.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Growing Pains

United States

#1 Jan 8, 2011
All this means is that El Paso's eastern portion of downtown will still look like it looks now, contaminated soil, railroad tracks, and very ugly.
Near sited

United States

#2 Jan 8, 2011
Why couldn't our City Leaders offer up the Asarco land for a new hub? Hard to contaminate and easy access to the interstate highway system. The half a billion infusion to the coffers would have been welcomed.
Congratulations, New Mexico on your gain.
Mr-D El Paso

United States

#3 Jan 8, 2011
What is the matter didn't Union Pacfic talk to the great state of Texas on the fuel tax matter.
voter

United States

#4 Jan 8, 2011
Near sited wrote:
Why couldn't our City Leaders offer up the Asarco land for a new hub? Hard to contaminate and easy access to the interstate highway system. The half a billion infusion to the coffers would have been welcomed.
Simple, we have a council full of bunch of morons who cater to mexico instead of the U.S.
Cat

El Paso, TX

#5 Jan 8, 2011
Who should take the credit for helping this become a reality? Gov. Martinez or Gov. Richardson?
Stop Noxious fumes

El Paso, TX

#6 Jan 8, 2011
The trains stop outside our homes with their engines running for hours at a time and we get sick from breathing the noxious fumes. We've called Union Pacific, but they just ignore us. We would like to breathe the clean air but they insist on poisoning us.
Get Real

El Paso, TX

#7 Jan 8, 2011
Near sited wrote:
They needed a bigger piece of land. Plus they need a new stretch of untouched territory to contaminate. You do the math.
Get Real

El Paso, TX

#8 Jan 8, 2011
Cat wrote:
Who should take the credit for helping this become a reality? Gov. Martinez or Gov. Richardson?
Richardson. Martinez just walked into it. She had nothing to do with this. Kinda like the poor soul to follow Obamamama.
Holy Frijole

El Paso, TX

#9 Jan 8, 2011
Richardson
Cat wrote:
2cool4school

Salt Lake City, UT

#10 Jan 8, 2011
I believe we should build High Speed Rail systems over the Major Interstate Highways. We already own the land, it would put a lot of people to work, and we need it to help cut down on oil consumption. Think about that. Seattle WA has a limited system and it works. Why not Nation Wide?
Ray

El Paso, TX

#11 Jan 8, 2011
This is great for New Mexico now the intelligent individuals sitting on the El Paso City Council can plan for more sports fields in the abandoned rail yards at the cost of Millions of dollars of tax payer money to clean up the contaminated land mass. I can see Hon Suzie Bird and Hon Beto O'Rorke' s minds working already and maybe Mayor Cook can play his guitar on the spot while the clean up takes place and sing 'I lost more money for the City of El Paso."
Ray

El Paso, TX

#12 Jan 8, 2011
Stop Noxious fumes wrote:
The trains stop outside our homes with their engines running for hours at a time and we get sick from breathing the noxious fumes. We've called Union Pacific, but they just ignore us. We would like to breathe the clean air but they insist on poisoning us.
ANSWER: Pack up and move, stupid.
Get Real

El Paso, TX

#13 Jan 8, 2011
Ray wrote:
This is great for New Mexico now the intelligent individuals sitting on the El Paso City Council can plan for more sports fields in the abandoned rail yards at the cost of Millions of dollars of tax payer money to clean up the contaminated land mass. I can see Hon Suzie Bird and Hon Beto O'Rorke' s minds working already and maybe Mayor Cook can play his guitar on the spot while the clean up takes place and sing 'I lost more money for the City of El Paso."
READ PEOPLE, READ!!!! Where does it state that there will be abandoned rail yards? In your haste to poke fun at City Council, which they can do quite well on their own, you misinterpreted the article.
Rails Are The Way

Alto, NM

#14 Jan 8, 2011
Like already commented by RAY, you should consider packing up and moving out.... I would suggest next to the interstate or an airport!

The rail line by your house was already there MANY years before you came around looking for a place to set up camp, so UPRR will continue to ignore you.
It was your choice to reside next to a rail line.... live with it and CHOKE(it appears you haven't died yet) or move out.
Stop Noxios Fumes

El Paso, TX

#15 Jan 8, 2011
Rails Are The Way wrote:
<quoted text>Like already commented by RAY, you should consider packing up and moving out.... I would suggest next to the interstate or an airport!
The rail line by your house was already there MANY years before you came around looking for a place to set up camp, so UPRR will continue to ignore you.
It was your choice to reside next to a rail line.... live with it and CHOKE(it appears you haven't died yet) or move out.
You choke. I'm going to continue to fight until something get's done. I think Union Pacific is underestimating me. I don't back down from a fight, especially when it involved something so basic as breathing clean, fresh air. They will move their trains, as they have no right to fumigate the people living around the area which in which they are trying to corrode. Call 1-888-877-7267 to file a complaint against Union Pacific idling their trains in your neighborhood like i did. All aboard! Next stop, EPA to file additional paperwork. Thank you for your time.
western playland

El Paso, TX

#16 Jan 8, 2011
I'm glad they chose NM, same thing happened with those idiots on EP's county commissioners court. They ran a tax generating entity out of town by trying to bully them into paying for more taxes plus of whole lot of other BS. I know the county is wishing that they still had Wester Playland located out at Ascarate Park. Also, I think ASARCO would have been the perfect spot for that station.
GetItYet

Dayton, OH

#17 Jan 8, 2011
Stop Noxios Fumes wrote:
<quoted text>
You choke. I'm going to continue to fight until something get's done. I think Union Pacific is underestimating me. I don't back down from a fight, especially when it involved something so basic as breathing clean, fresh air. They will move their trains, as they have no right to fumigate the people living around the area which in which they are trying to corrode. Call 1-888-877-7267 to file a complaint against Union Pacific idling their trains in your neighborhood like i did. All aboard! Next stop, EPA to file additional paperwork. Thank you for your time.
Move... and FYI it is spelled noxious
JMH3

Carrizozo, NM

#18 Jan 8, 2011
So move away from that area....
Rails Are The Way

Alto, NM

#19 Jan 8, 2011
Stop Noxios Fumes wrote:
<quoted text>
hahahaha....you are a bigger looney than you realize!
As I previously stated, YOU CHOSE TO PARK YOUR BUTT NEXT TO THE TRACKS, BOZO... the railroad company has right-of-way granted ages ago BY THE U.S. GOVERNMENT, you ignoramus!
Furthermore, the EPA has no power to arbitrarily dictate what the railroad can or cannot do on IT'S OWN PROPERTY, other than inspect for toxic contamination(ground or air), and as you are so ignorant in these matters, let me educate you....the railroads have met the stringent EPA rules and standards regarding locomotive exhaust since several years ago due mainly to the high-tech design of modern diesels produced by both General Electric and Electro-Motive Division of Gen. Motors.......BOZO!

As far as these standards are concerned, the UPRR is well within it's rights to idle a locomotive 24/7 next to your camp if they feel like it.
You are in for a rude awakening friendo, railroads ARE NOT STUPID and there is nothing easier to defeat than an idiot who is ignorant of the law.
Hint: EDUCATE YOURSELF, EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Oh, yeah, keep on with your little "fight"... chances are you'll be long gone before UPRR even notices you exist!
BringBackSteam

Dayton, OH

#20 Jan 8, 2011
I'm just guessing but, I think the trains were there before the houses. You sound like the cityiots that move to the country next to a farm and then whine about the smell off the farm when the wind blows in a certain direction. You feel that the farmer should STOP farming now because your there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Teresa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News On border fence, Trump aides tout 40 miles of u... May 3 Zero Tolerance 1
News Trump voters thrilled with promised action on b... Mar '17 RoxLo 639
News Workers raise a taller fence along the Mexico-U... Jan '17 BuildTheWall 2
News Pecan Brewery opening bottling facility in Lasa (Jun '16) Jun '16 Rio Damned 1
News LCPD detective charged with sexually assaulting... (Sep '13) Oct '15 Insertion 8
Governor's energy plan sets up New Mexico for n... (Sep '15) Sep '15 John Ford 1
News Pros, cons voiced over possible Santa Teresa Co... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Joe Sancho 2

Santa Teresa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Teresa Mortgages