Union Pacific to invest $400M toward ...

Union Pacific to invest $400M toward relocating rail hub from El Paso to Santa Teresa

There are 12 comments on the El Paso Times story from Jan 7, 2011, titled Union Pacific to invest $400M toward relocating rail hub from El Paso to Santa Teresa. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

A project that will bring hundreds of millions of dollars to the Santa Teresa area - and possibly create needed jobs - seems to be back on track.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Get Real

El Paso, TX

#1 Jan 7, 2011
First off, few jobs will be created and if there are, they will be temps. Just like UPS hires at the holidays, you're expendable once the projected numbers are met. Don't get your hopes up, people. Anyone who's been hired in the last several years by this company knows better than to burn previous bridges. Don't buy into the hype.
HAS

Dallas, TX

#2 Jan 7, 2011
Funny how Union Pacific is willing to spend so much money for their benefit, but will not spend a cent on making their railroad crossings safer!!!
Private

El Paso, TX

#3 Jan 7, 2011
HAS wrote:
Funny how Union Pacific is willing to spend so much money for their benefit, but will not spend a cent on making their railroad crossings safer!!!
Union Pacific has proper procedures in place. They have barriers that come down when the trains are approaching and the trains sound their horn many times before crossing a road and in the middle of the road they sound the horn. It is the individuals fault for getting hit. They are the ones being dumb for crossing the tracks right in front of a train.
Nerds

El Paso, TX

#4 Jan 7, 2011
Great for city of El Paso, leaving big industries get out of our control, bravos seƱores

“Close the Borders”

Since: Jun 08

Out in the County

#5 Jan 7, 2011
I noted that UP is moving ... but they are waiting on New Mexico to pass tax incentives.

Sure would have like the article to tell us what concessions the state is giving to the railroad in order for them to move this multi-modal terminal.

If UPRR is spending $400-million ... what is the state giving in return?
Broadway

Chilton, TX

#6 Jan 7, 2011
The railroad isn't spending a dime. The tax incentives from New Mexico will pay for the construction. And the jobs will technically be in New Mexico but the workers may very well still live and shop in El Paso.
reality

United States

#7 Jan 7, 2011
The plans were back in place in 2006, will Martinez be taking credit for this?
WarrenBuffetSpur ned

El Paso, TX

#8 Jan 7, 2011
Broadway wrote:
The railroad isn't spending a dime. The tax incentives from New Mexico will pay for the construction. And the jobs will technically be in New Mexico but the workers may very well still live and shop in El Paso.
You are correct. UP has done well through the years by taking as many handouts as it can get, while running smaller railroads off the map. If UP was such a hot commodity, why would Warren Buffet turn his back on this railroad entirely and become the largest shareholder of the BNSF? The funniest thing I heard that he said was that if he were to become top dog at UPRR, he'd fire every manager from top to bottom and start over. And this railroad is based in his hometown of Omaha! He doesn't live too far from their headquarters. Now THAT'S funny, right there.
grtwyt

United States

#9 Jan 7, 2011
The second largest land owner in the U.S.and they won't spend a dime to improve relations with the cities and counties that they run through but will demand that the same cities and counties pay through the nose to get things done that are their responsibility. The railroad knows that by moving to Santa Teresa they would greatly improve productivity and pretty much end the congestion in the city but, they won't spend any of their capital they expect the taxpayers to foot the bill for their benefit.
Omaha Jerks

United States

#10 Jan 7, 2011
grtwyt wrote:
The second largest land owner in the U.S.and they won't spend a dime to improve relations with the cities and counties that they run through but will demand that the same cities and counties pay through the nose to get things done that are their responsibility. The railroad knows that by moving to Santa Teresa they would greatly improve productivity and pretty much end the congestion in the city but, they won't spend any of their capital they expect the taxpayers to foot the bill for their benefit.
In the pass the city of El Paso wanted to build a pedestrian mall over the railroad trench that divides the civic center with city hall, and U P said never.
Not long ago Paul Foster tried to contact U P to ask permission to build car and pedestrian ramps over this same railroad trench for a new parking garage and U P ignore the request for most.
People hope that U P gets the hell out of downtown El Paso, but they wont, they will still keep their railroads in downtown after they expand into Santa Teresa, there wont be much of a difference.
HAS

Dallas, TX

#11 Jan 7, 2011
Private wrote:
<quoted text>
Union Pacific has proper procedures in place. They have barriers that come down when the trains are approaching and the trains sound their horn many times before crossing a road and in the middle of the road they sound the horn. It is the individuals fault for getting hit. They are the ones being dumb for crossing the tracks right in front of a train.
If you say so!!!
Aisa Pozo

United States

#12 Jan 7, 2011
This is really good. If El Paso has any sense at all, any plans to be respected across the US in the future, it should seriously try to get a "Central Park" spanning the area that will become available.

I know many people in El Paso just don't get the "Quality of Life" thing. But I can assure you, a large park with amenities like, for example, a baseball statium, soccer, tennis, and other courts, picnic areas, perhaps a museum or other classroom/meeting-type building....and, most important to many Americans, a LONG (AT LEAST 3 MILES ONE WAY) MULTI-USE, TWO TO THREE LANE, PATH, through, or around, or both, the park would make it so attractive to moms with kids in prams, families and singles out for a walk, us distance runners, them skater dudes, and of course, bikers.

But I know the negativity of of my former-fellow El Pasoans much too well....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Teresa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump voters thrilled with promised action on b... Mar 5 RoxLo 639
News Workers raise a taller fence along the Mexico-U... Jan '17 BuildTheWall 2
News Pecan Brewery opening bottling facility in Lasa (Jun '16) Jun '16 Rio Damned 1
News Pope Francis Puts Responsibility for Immigratio... (Feb '16) Feb '16 wild child 8
News LCPD detective charged with sexually assaulting... (Sep '13) Oct '15 Insertion 8
Governor's energy plan sets up New Mexico for n... (Sep '15) Sep '15 John Ford 1
News Pros, cons voiced over possible Santa Teresa Co... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Joe Sancho 2

Santa Teresa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Teresa Mortgages