Your View: Letters to the editor (May...

Your View: Letters to the editor (May 15)

There are 4 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from May 15, 2011, titled Your View: Letters to the editor (May 15). In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

I have received a letter from Gov. Susana Martinez' office officially removing me from the New Mexico Border Authority.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

Muscle Shoals, AL

#1 May 15, 2011
Wow!! Edgar Lopez, way to go!! Pat yourself on the back!!! Now, you and BFF Bill Richardson need to pay back the billions that were wasted away with foolish spending. And, no, you did not bring 60 new jobs to Las Cruces, you sold a building. How does your head fit through the door when you show property?

United States

#2 May 15, 2011
Thanks, Mack...right on!

Since: Sep 08

Albuquerque, NM

#3 May 15, 2011
Even though Mr. Haley uses an old urban legend quote and the talking points from the uber-wealthys’ propaganda houses, hate radio, and Fux News, he is correct. Getting rid of the tax-give-a-ways to the upper 2% will not cure the deficit/debt problem.
Unfortunately Mr. Haley is either unaware or in denial about the REAL CLASS WARFARE. Warren Buffet's class is WINNING! That's why inequality in the US is worse than in 3rd world dictatorships. That’s why Noble Prize wining economist Stiglitz –writes that America is OF THE 1%, BY THE 1%, FOR THE 1% and inequality is so massive that even the wealthy will come to regret it.
The Repugs have proven time after time they can't either. And Ryan's horrendous Roadmap to Ruin budget they recently passed proves it once again.

Even the thrust of the fake quote is totally inaccurate. The people aren't getting the benefits of the massive tax cuts, the oligarchs, plutocracy, and uber wealthy are. Taxes are at a 50 year historical low. The top 400 wealthiest taxpayers pay a lower effective tax rate than the media taxpayer.

The Progressive Caucus’ People Budget has a hell of a lot of good old fashioned ideas in it
Summary from Congressman Raul Grijalva: The CPC proposal:

• Eliminates the deficits and creates a surplus by 2021
• Puts America back to work with a “Make it in America” jobs program
• Protects the social safety net
• Ends the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq
• Is FAIR (Fixing America’s Inequality Responsibly)

What the proposal accomplishes:

• Primary budget balance by 2014
• Budget surplus by 2021
• Reduces public debt as a share of GDP to 64.4% by 2021, down 16.9 percentage points from a baseline adjusted for the "doc fix" and alternative minimum tax patch
• Reduces deficits by $5.7 trillion over 2012-21
• Both outlays and revenue equal 22.3% of GDP by 2021

How does it achieve a surplus and strengthen our economy for working families all across this country? Our plan closes corporate welfare loopholes, ends giveaways to oil, coal and gas companies, significantly reduces overseas military expenditures, and creates an infrastructure investment bank so we can develop our economy intelligently for the new millennium. These are not pie-in-the-sky ideas -- Jeffrey Sachs doesn't endorse plans that don't work. This plan will work.

The House Republican majority tells the country that our only hope is to slash everywhere, regardless of the consequences, as though more economic pain is somehow the mature response to our situation. The Progressive Caucus doesn't believe that, and I'm proud to have worked with my colleagues on the CPC Budget Task Force to create what we think is a very solid product.

I hope you take a minute to learn more and share in that pride.

Albuquerque, NM

#4 May 16, 2011
Candis Stern is right. Las Cruces needs a TNR program. At the very least the city and county animal ordinances need to support individuals who currently practice TNR. They are helping to solve the feral cat problem at no cost to the city or county. As the law stands now those people can be cited and are considered criminals!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Teresa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pecan Brewery opening bottling facility in Lasa Jun '16 Rio Damned 1
News Pope Francis Puts Responsibility for Immigratio... (Feb '16) Feb '16 wild child 8
News LCPD detective charged with sexually assaulting... (Sep '13) Oct '15 Insertion 8
Governor's energy plan sets up New Mexico for n... (Sep '15) Sep '15 John Ford 1
Andrew perea (Jul '15) Jul '15 needanswers 1
Group plans vigil against border brutality (Jun '15) Jun '15 Joe 1
News Pros, cons voiced over possible Santa Teresa Co... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Joe Sancho 2

Santa Teresa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Teresa Mortgages