Addressing Walton County's Affordable Housing Needs

There are 2 comments on the Sep 7, 2006, WJHG-TV Panama City story titled Addressing Walton County's Affordable Housing Needs. In it, WJHG-TV Panama City reports that:

Employers all over Walton County say they can't keep their businesses running because they can't find workers who can afford to live in the area, but one local company and county officials are working together ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJHG-TV Panama City.

Maria Thompson

Chipley, FL

#1 Sep 26, 2006
To build “work-force” or “affordable housing” developments amounts to nothing more than a "middle class housing project" for those of us that actually work here. The main problem with Florida and other tourist’s states is the economic development committees and “key players” got lazy and settled for most if not all of their revenue being generated from tourists or seasonal residents. Thus the housing prices or land prices do not even begin to reflect what employees or fulltime residents of that area can afford. This is a classical "false market" in Keynesian Economics. Until the State policies address these larger problems, working people and professionals earning less than 6 figures per year will be stuck in less than comparable housing tucked away in an undesirable area, sub-standard to the rest of the community. I am sure that I speak of all of us “common folk” when I say thank you, but no thank you. I have not worked all of my life to live in a “middle class housing project.” The Florida State sign should read "Tourist welcome to Florida, those moving here to work turn around, you cannot afford to live here!"
Wallace Simpson

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#2 Sep 4, 2010
Maria Thompson wrote:
To build “work-force” or “affordable housing” developments amounts to nothing more than a "middle class housing project" for those of us that actually work here. The main problem with Florida and other tourist’s states is the economic development committees and “key players” got lazy and settled for most if not all of their revenue being generated from tourists or seasonal residents. Thus the housing prices or land prices do not even begin to reflect what employees or fulltime residents of that area can afford. This is a classical "false market" in Keynesian Economics. Until the State policies address these larger problems, working people and professionals earning less than 6 figures per year will be stuck in less than comparable housing tucked away in an undesirable area, sub-standard to the rest of the community. I am sure that I speak of all of us “common folk” when I say thank you, but no thank you. I have not worked all of my life to live in a “middle class housing project.” The Florida State sign should read "Tourist welcome to Florida, those moving here to work turn around, you cannot afford to live here!"
The builder get a government low ingtrest loan to build low cost rental units which must be rented out at a set price until the government is paid back But guess what as soon as built the government loan is paid off and the property sold. To an investor who will rent the new units at market value.Cool deal, but big hole in the system yes!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Rosa Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Spring Break Thugs (Mar '11) 18 hr No Bozos 82
How Long Before Spring Break Disappears ?? 23 hr cgrant 15
Blacks on the beach 23 hr Cgrant 4
Hanity Fri VeggieBurger 11
racism (Mar '12) Thu pete 13
Thank You Obamacare Thu VeggieBurger 2
Freaknik in PCB Thu VeggieBurger 3
More from around the web

Santa Rosa Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE