State fines Marin General $25,000 for...

State fines Marin General $25,000 for failing to remove sponge ...

There are 22 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from Mar 3, 2009, titled State fines Marin General $25,000 for failing to remove sponge .... In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

A state health agency has fined Marin General Hospital $25,000 for its failure to remove a sponge from a patient after an emergency abdominal surgery conducted in late 2007.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
David

Fairfax, CA

#1 Mar 3, 2009
This doesn't surprise me after having been a patient in Marin General a few years ago and having to ask for a shower after recovering from a high fever (after never being offered a washcloth, shower or any type of cleansing bath from the perspiration an entire day later)-- only to be led down the hall to the shower stall so blackened between the tiles with mildew, that the nurse had to put down a towel on the shower floor for me to stand on after I cringed at the sight.
Jim

Mill Valley, CA

#2 Mar 3, 2009
Bye bye Sutter!
Misfit

United States

#3 Mar 3, 2009
Sorry Jim but, this had NOthing to do with Sutter. This is simply a case of the staff not doing their jobs properly. You have no idea what goes on in the O.R. There are strict protocols on how sponges are counted, how missing sponges are reported and it is universal from hospital to hospital. When a sponge (or other counted item) cannot be accounted for, an immediate X-ray is ordered. Clearly the staff did not communicate the missing sponge at the time or else the X-ray would have been taken or, the surgeon dismissed the report. The sponges show up on an X-ray.
Often, when a surgeon is notified of a missing item, they react in an angry manner which can intimidate the staff. Either the surgeon will claim that it "Isn't in the patient", insinuating that is only the staff member's problem to deal with. Something went wrong here. And when these things happen, you can usually trace back to a whole chain of events that caused it. There are more than one sponge count so, all of them had to be ignored for this to have happened.
This was a lackadaisical approach and only strong leadership will make sure it doesn't happen again.
GeneTierney

AOL

#4 Mar 3, 2009
I hope the patient got to keep the sponge. It could be used to wash the family's BMW SUV.
GeneTierney

AOL

#5 Mar 3, 2009
David wrote:
This doesn't surprise me after having been a patient in Marin General a few years ago and having to ask for a shower after recovering from a high fever (after never being offered a washcloth, shower or any type of cleansing bath from the perspiration an entire day later)-- only to be led down the hall to the shower stall so blackened between the tiles with mildew, that the nurse had to put down a towel on the shower floor for me to stand on after I cringed at the sight.
You certainly could have used a sponge!
Dano

Fairfax, CA

#6 Mar 4, 2009
Misfit wrote:
Sorry Jim but, this had NOthing to do with Sutter. This is simply a case of the staff not doing their jobs properly. You have no idea what goes on in the O.R. There are strict protocols on how sponges are counted, how missing sponges are reported and it is universal from hospital to hospital. When a sponge (or other counted item) cannot be accounted for, an immediate X-ray is ordered. Clearly the staff did not communicate the missing sponge at the time or else the X-ray would have been taken or, the surgeon dismissed the report. The sponges show up on an X-ray.
Often, when a surgeon is notified of a missing item, they react in an angry manner which can intimidate the staff. Either the surgeon will claim that it "Isn't in the patient", insinuating that is only the staff member's problem to deal with. Something went wrong here. And when these things happen, you can usually trace back to a whole chain of events that caused it. There are more than one sponge count so, all of them had to be ignored for this to have happened.
This was a lackadaisical approach and only strong leadership will make sure it doesn't happen again.
Yea, I think the accident was overblown. What's
not overblown is the fact that if you do not have insurance, and don't qualify for Medi-cal, or cmsp
the hospital will charge you outrageous amounts
of money for treatment. You don't has the luxury of collective bargaining. If you do have medi-cal,
plan on being close to death in order to be admitted. The doctors, and most staff members, treat you like medical waste
if you don't have insurance. They claim they
have no idea who as insurance and who doesn't, but
they must be mind readers.
Eddy

Fairfax, CA

#7 Mar 4, 2009
David wrote:
And they wonder why MERSA is flourishing in hospitals. Great Britain doesn't allow doctors
to wear ties, ar any kind of jewelry. This was
enacted to help prevent the spread Mersa outside the hospital. Why doesn't Marin General take common sense proactive measures? Your older wings are filthy--unless you autoclave a 40 year old
chair, it's probably loaded with bacteria.
san rafael native

San Anselmo, CA

#8 Mar 4, 2009
I know two patients that died because of MGH's errors in the OR. Didn't Dana Carvey have the wrong artery worked on during his heart bypass surgery? MGH doesn't have the greatest track record!
Jim

San Francisco, CA

#9 Mar 4, 2009
Misfit wrote:
Come on, it has everything to do with Sutter and their profit mentality, oh I know they claim to be "non-profit", what a lark. That mentality permeates down to the staff and quality suffers. Lets return respect to the medical facility that Sutter has used a $$$ siphon, the sooner the better.

I suppose Abu Ghraib had nothing to do with George Bush. Time for accountability.
Susan

Benicia, CA

#10 Mar 4, 2009
The fact that the lap pads may have been stuck together makes the case more viable for an incorrect count at the end of surgery. Having worked in the OR many years ago and taking the count of all instruments, needles and lap pads aloud pre and post surgery is a vital operating room routine which should prevent these unfortunate occurrences. The background of an emergency surgery should alert the staff that this is a situation where an incorrect count most likely can occur.

“.........If two are dead!”

Since: Oct 08

San Rafael, CA

#11 Mar 4, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on, it has everything to do with Sutter and their profit mentality, oh I know they claim to be "non-profit", what a lark. That mentality permeates down to the staff and quality suffers. Lets return respect to the medical facility that Sutter has used a $$$ siphon, the sooner the better.
I suppose Abu Ghraib had nothing to do with George Bush. Time for accountability.
So if they shut down MGH I suppose your Illegal friends will be having babies in alley's. I love listening to your rants and wishes. They truly make you look stupider every day. Sure, shut down the only facility in Marin that cater to your friends. They dont go after them for the money owed on their child birthing, and yet you wish to shut it down. Bye Bye Jim. You are a turd.
Jim

San Francisco, CA

#12 Mar 4, 2009
HATEBREED wrote:
<quoted text>So if they shut down MGH I suppose your Illegal friends will be having babies in alley's. I love listening to your rants and wishes. They truly make you look stupider every day. Sure, shut down the only facility in Marin that cater to your friends. They dont go after them for the money owed on their child birthing, and yet you wish to shut it down. Bye Bye Jim. You are a turd.
What? Who said anything about shutting down Marin General? You really need to work on those reading skills. You are so quick to attack me that you miss the whole point, which was getting rid of Sutter and returning to local quality control.
Do you keep up with local issues or do you just like yappin' all the time?

Hope that helps...!

“.........If two are dead!”

Since: Oct 08

San Rafael, CA

#13 Mar 4, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
What? Who said anything about shutting down Marin General? You really need to work on those reading skills. You are so quick to attack me that you miss the whole point, which was getting rid of Sutter and returning to local quality control.
Do you keep up with local issues or do you just like yappin' all the time?
Hope that helps...!
Try clarifying your points better then!
Rational approach

Corte Madera, CA

#14 Mar 4, 2009
"Misfit" may claim this has nothing to do with Sutter--that it was just a "staff mistake", but who is responsible for managing the staff? Sutter! Who didn't want to spend the money for a CAT scan when there was still pain? Sutter!

Sponges are the worst to leave in--tissue grows into them and sometimes you can never get them fully separated. Please, leave a tool in me instead!
Eddy

Fairfax, CA

#15 Mar 4, 2009
san rafael native wrote:
I know two patients that died because of MGH's errors in the OR. Didn't Dana Carvey have the wrong artery worked on during his heart bypass surgery? MGH doesn't have the greatest track record!
Yea, he had a double bypass. San Francisco, CA - On May 31, 2000, various media reported that comedian Dana Carvey settled his lawsuit for an undisclosed amount, with the money to be earmarked for a handful of charities, including those involved in heart research. People.com , the magazine's website, quotes Carvey: "This lawsuit, from the beginning, was about accountability and doing everything I could to make sure that it wouldn't happen to someone else. Both my wife and I are very satisfied with the outcome and bringing resolution to this case."

Carvey really didn't want to hurt cardiac surgeon Dr EliasHanna (Marin General Hospital, Greenbrae, CA), but initially wanted "an abashed phone call, a contrite explanation for the botched double-bypass surgery," he comments in the June 12, 2000 issue of People magazine. "I have empathy for him, but I needed to bring this problem to his attention, and it took me 2 years," says Carvey, referring to the $7.5 million lawsuit that he settled on May 25 with 1 day of testimony left in the 2-week trial in San Francisco Superior Court.

"They put my arteries on trial. Their defense was that I had freakish anatomy," says Carvey, referring to Hanna's attorney's argument that he bypassed the wrong artery because of unusual anatomy. Carvey told People that his health and his humor are still intact. "That would be a double whammy. You don't want them to bypass the wrong artery and lose your sense of humor too."

We need a local website to rate doctors-honestly.
Just like Ebay.
tre

Fairfax, CA

#16 Mar 4, 2009
Here's a quote from Dr. Hanna-it's unbelievable:
"I visualize my moves very quickly, and I have simplified the procedures of cardiac surgery. That is where the speed comes from," he explains. "I don't look very fast, but there is no wasted motion. I have a gift: What some surgeons take hours to do, I do in 45 minutes.
The Wingnut owns a winery too. I'm a little leary of anyone who brags.
Snark Attack

Chicago, IL

#17 Mar 4, 2009
HATEBREED wrote:
<quoted text>Try clarifying your points better then!
Do you guys ever wonder why you spend so much of your day communicating with someone that you dislike? It is really pretty absurd.
Jim

Mill Valley, CA

#18 Mar 4, 2009
Snark Attack wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you guys ever wonder why you spend so much of your day communicating with someone that you dislike? It is really pretty absurd.
Topix is the theatre of the absurd. Look, even you play in this game Snarky.

Besides, I always have room in my heart for people like HATEBREAD... diversity is a wonderful goal.
Snark Attack

Chicago, IL

#19 Mar 4, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Topix is the theatre of the absurd. Look, even you play in this game Snarky.
Besides, I always have room in my heart for people like HATEBREAD... diversity is a wonderful goal.
I know I do and sometimes I wonder why.
Jim

Mill Valley, CA

#20 Mar 4, 2009
Snark Attack wrote:
<quoted text>
I know I do and sometimes I wonder why.
LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Paula Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pamela hutcherson passed on yesterday??? Fri Laura Hutcherson 1
News Flavors of the Pacific Rim in Midtown Ventura Thu ventura_resident123 1
Glug Glug Glug: Thirsty Hillary Drinks Cumsauce Jul 24 Fingering Sanderz... 1
News Lawsuit alleges California ex-priest abused 2 boys (Mar '15) Jul 24 Plecker Fingersnatch 5
Collage (Jan '15) Jul 7 anonymous 100
what happened? May '16 jimb66 1
Mf soaps & cemeterys montecarlo (Aug '14) Aug '14 Wesley 1

Santa Paula Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Paula Mortgages