Over or under: TxDOT contemplates Loo...

Over or under: TxDOT contemplates Loop 375, West Side connection, Chihuahita residents displeased

There are 25 comments on the El Paso Times story from May 2, 2011, titled Over or under: TxDOT contemplates Loop 375, West Side connection, Chihuahita residents displeased. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

This conceptual rendering of Border Highway West shows the depressed option TxDOT is studying to link loop 375 with the West Side.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jive talking

El Paso, TX

#1 May 2, 2011
And so progress in this city will be halted because of 382 people, that live in a $hit hole?

‎"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
Its their right

United States

#2 May 2, 2011
Jive talking wrote:
And so progress in this city will be halted because of 382 people, that live in a **** hole?
‎"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
So let them voice there concerns, it's their lives that are going to be impacted in a negative way, their views. I'm certain you would voice your displeasure if your neighborhood were disrupted in a similar manner. Who's to say that your home isn't a **** hole? I'm certain there are people who believe it is. "You're an A - H O L E." - Me.
disgusted

San Antonio, TX

#3 May 2, 2011
Jive talking wrote:
And so progress in this city will be halted because of 382 people, that live in a **** hole?
hopefully TXDOT builds a highway over your house buddy, and hopefully you get lost and buried in the asphalt and cement. jerk
US CITIZEN

United States

#4 May 2, 2011
Good, need to make this part of town vanish. Want to remember it, take a picture, it lasts longer. One gang gone
Extortion

El Paso, TX

#5 May 2, 2011
Jive talking wrote:
Nothing a "little money" won't fix. You wait and see how fast the outrage, priceless "culture" and priceless "history" vanishes once taxpayer money is used to pay these extortionists. Eminent Domain baby. El Paso needs and will have an effective East-West alternative to IH-10.
Vengeance

United States

#6 May 2, 2011
Our oldest neighborhoods, our mountains..........what else is the city council gonna destroy ? There must be better ways to preserve our history and natural landmarks.
Saddened

United States

#7 May 2, 2011
To be honest, I simply do not understand the appeal or charm of Chihuahuita. They speak of it as if it is this beautiful vibrant place. In reality, the only thing that makes it historical is its age. It has been neglected so severely, that it has hard to see any real value in it. I bet if engineers went and took a look at the structures in the neighborhood, they'd likely declare most structurally unsafe. And last but certainly not least, the article said there are 4th generation Chihuahuita residents. WHAT?! How awful, four generations of no progress, four generations of poverty and I can assume four generations of low educational attainment rates. And that underscores the two principal issues holding the city back. This neighborhood could be so much more, but only if we look to the future. In El Paso, the word history is frequently used to describe nostalgia, and this is all that this outrage is.
james russell ret

El Paso, TX

#8 May 2, 2011
They can build along the levee if necessary and bring it around to where it intercepts West Paisano near the end of the railroad yards. Why in the world Chihuahita was ever designated as an historical site is beyond understanding. They should have demolished the neighborhood back in 1980 when they thought about it then. Too bad City council was so stupid at the time.
Erin

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#9 May 2, 2011
I hope some progress can be made that will accommodate the residents and allow the city to move forward on this road construction. It would be a real shame if this badly needed express way is not constructed because a few in a torn down neighborhood stand in the way of progress. Maybe the residents of this slum torn neighborhood can relocate to some caves in Afghanistan with other militants who want to stop progress. The move would probably improve their living conditions. I guess I'm just tired of everytime we want to do something to improve our city their is always someone there to stop our progress. Just venting, didn't mean to offend.
Embarrassing Journalism

El Paso, TX

#10 May 2, 2011
"Barrio Soul"????? What are you, a 2nd grader in Chihuhua? Please learn how to write professional stories before you post them, until then, hit the books young lady!
queryunknown

United States

#11 May 2, 2011
leave it as is
rudy

United States

#12 May 2, 2011
either do the trench, or build a tunnel. elevated freeways are prone to freezing over, and if TxDOT wants a viable alternative to I-10, something that freezes over is not good. Its bad enough I-10 is already elevated between downtown and the spaghetti bowl.

Speaking of the spaghetti bowl, how about a better way of getting from I-10 East to 375 East through the spaghetti bowl? Made that mistake once, and i almost ended up in Juarez. It can't be done without breaking some traffic-laws!
ssshhh

El Paso, TX

#13 May 2, 2011
So El Paso has to save ghettos where prostitutes abound
el paso times sux

El Paso, TX

#14 May 2, 2011
All of segundo trasho and smellhuahuita should be torn down. Nothing but old apartments and houses not safe for people to live in. Of course those people should be compensated in some way. Maybe help them relocate to homes with modern amenities like heating and cooling.
Win Win

El Paso, TX

#15 May 2, 2011
Its easy to say "bulldoze the neighborhood and build the freeway", but one still has to be sensitive to the citizens of the area. However nostalgic it may be, the expansion of the Loop will be better for the city. Think of all the businesses that will start to spring up at strategic exits. Think of how much easier it would be to get around the city with an alternate route. People were upset when Dudley field was demolished to expand the zoo (have you been there lately? Its pretty nice!). We cannot keep holding our city's potential back. Lets use the expansion of the loop to help develop the area instead. Label the area as a historical area and clean it up. Could be El Paso's answer to Juarez's Mercado. Historically Mexican history displayed through culture and its people. Win-Win. With all the violence in Juarez, lets take this opportunity to show off what tourist want to see but cannot. A taste of Mexican hertiage in the safe confines of El Paso. Have a trolley run through there. Encourage the local neighborhoods to create small businesses and take advantage of the Empowerment Zone Grants available to them. Just an idea.
MIguel

El Paso, TX

#16 May 2, 2011
Can you PLEASE get a photo viewer that allows us to see the pictures you post in a MUCH larger size. Can't see the details of the map by TXDOT. If you are worried about people copying photos get a flash based photo viewer.
dick gristle

Springfield, MO

#17 May 2, 2011
another one bites the dust! your neighborhood is next. must build more roads. more roads. roads.
Richard

El Paso, TX

#18 May 2, 2011
People who do not pay taxes and are more than likely Illegal Aliens should NOT have a say in government
Rew

El Paso, TX

#19 May 2, 2011
This the poorest zip code in the U.S.A.. Bulldoze it now!
Who cares

El Paso, TX

#20 May 3, 2011
Build over it already. They have been poor and ugly for ages and want it to stay that way forever.. whatever! Don't they want to better themselves? The smart kids that grow up in that area move out of there as fast as they can. Its not as if Chihuahuita is one of the nicest neighborhoods in town, its one of the worst places in El Paso, maybe even the country. Let's move forward people, not stay behind like Chihuahuita.

This city is growing by leaps and bounds, but a few people want to keep this city backwards and small time, no matter what.. Build the connection already.

That place isn't even beautiful or anything to the rest of us, so why should we (the rest of the 800,000 people in this area) not have a crucial bypass route just for what less than 400 people want? That highway connection needs to be built for the sake of the rest of the people in this city. If you don't like it.. then leave!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Fe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What to Watch: Will voucher defeat hurt school ... Apr 17 Will Phart 2
Harbor Point Subdivision (Sep '08) Apr 16 MyPhart 2
I need lawns to mow in League City!!! (Sep '07) Apr 16 NeedPhart 2
i love kickboxing League City (May '16) Apr 16 AmazingPhart 14
Pierogi Queen Restaurant Apr 16 AnybodyPhart 2
News Texas City male prison guard faces inmate sex c... (Dec '06) Apr 16 BAF 114
News Residents warn city that Chick-fil-A would turn... Apr 15 Popular pharts 2

Santa Fe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Fe Mortgages