Cat shot with arrow on Santa Cruz's W...

Cat shot with arrow on Santa Cruz's Westside

There are 67 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Jun 1, 2010, titled Cat shot with arrow on Santa Cruz's Westside. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Animal Services officers are searching for the owner of a cat that died Sunday after someone shot him with a bow and arrow on the Westside of Santa Cruz, authorities reported.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

Out of Your Minds

Alviso, CA

#54 Jun 1, 2010
Animal Person wrote:
Lucas,
Perhaps you are as uncaring as the killer.
For those wishing to remove a stray kitty from one's property, simply call Animal Services and ask to borrow a trap. If none is available, call the Santa Cruz SPCA. Both agencies are more than willing to aid the public in trapping stray kitties, getting them off the streets, and relieving their suffering. Killing them, which may result in extreme suffering before death, is not the answer.
<quoted text>
Right. As if AS does anything, AL.

For those wishing to discourage stray cats from visiting one's garden, turn a hose on them. Doesn't hurt, and they learn very quickly. It's called behavior modification, with extreme prejudice.
Out of Your Minds

Alviso, CA

#55 Jun 1, 2010
lower wrote:
ADD or OCD?
Or METH?
ScLocal

Boulder Creek, CA

#56 Jun 1, 2010
Whoever did this is probably abusive to humans as well and is a psyco. Only a sick freak with a mental illness would hurt a sweet innocent cat. I hope they catch him, and I agree, it was probably some Yuppie trash kid with no morals. How sad a ending for this lovely animal that brought joy to the world. Animal abusers are a lowest life form that all deserve to be jailed. HOw sick to harm a animal, how scary that this type of psyco lives in our town.
Intersting how many animal haters are appearing on this forum, they should all be investigated.
ScDad

Boulder Creek, CA

#57 Jun 1, 2010
Out of Your MindsRight. As if AS does anything, AL.
For those wishing to discourage stray cats from visiting one's garden, turn a hose on them. Doesn't hurt, and they learn very quickly. It's called behavior modification, with extreme prejudice.

You abusive freak, you are proably the one that shot the cat. I have reported you to the police and had you flagged as abusive by the Sentinel. Sick freak.
slightly salty

Palo Alto, CA

#58 Jun 1, 2010
Out of Your Minds wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, wrong assumption.
I know, and have known, plenty of people who "sort of" keep a cat, but they will deny that the cat is theirs. I mean those who start feeding a cat that's hanging around their home, and then they start letting it in the house and treating it as a pet. They'll even give it a name. But they don't take it to the vet for vaccinations or other health care. They may or may not treat it for fleas. They certainly don't bother to have the cat fixed. They might tell themselves that it really belongs to a neighbor who neglects the thing. Or they'll say it's "the neighborhood cat." If the cat doesn't show up for food one day, it's of no concern...because the cat was never theirs, right?
Sound familiar? It should, because it is very, very common.
And then there are all the renters and temporary residents (students, etc.), who get a kitten, keep it (unfixed, of course) until they decide to move on...and just leave it behind. Those are the "dumpers." But somehow I think that the former are the more evil people. They are much more numerous.
do you really think the former people, who take up the slack for those latter people you mentioned, are worse the worse of the two? that's an odd way of looking at it. often people in the neighborhood know the status of an abandoned pet and just can't bring themselves to take it to the shelter, so they take care of it as best they can, which is better than the previous owner did.
SC Dad Is Whackjob

Alviso, CA

#61 Jun 2, 2010
Pat Kittle wrote:
The mexicans are shooting our cats with arrows now? This sanctuary city madness has got to stop.
No. It's obvious that it's "SC Dad." The whackjob doth accuseth too much.

And you just know that someone who choses the log-on "SC Dad" probably has an implied "locally born and bred" in there, and is likely to be a good ol' white guy. Whattaya bet?

God, Santa Cruz is full of freaks.
Theres Another Whackjob

Alviso, CA

#63 Jun 2, 2010
santa cruz wrote:
I h*a*t*e White People Your all trash
Product of pubic schools, are you?
"Your" disturbed.
Love Animals Hate Humans

Rio Vista, CA

#64 Jun 2, 2010
He says after driving his daughter to the abortion clinic after marching at the anti death penalty rally at San Quentin protesting the execution of a poacher of human life.
ScLocal wrote:
Whoever did this is probably abusive to humans as well and is a psyco. Only a sick freak with a mental illness would hurt a sweet innocent cat. I hope they catch him, and I agree, it was probably some Yuppie trash kid with no morals. How sad a ending for this lovely animal that brought joy to the world. Animal abusers are a lowest life form that all deserve to be jailed. HOw sick to harm a animal, how scary that this type of psyco lives in our town.
Intersting how many animal haters are appearing on this forum, they should all be investigated.
AEW

Fremont, CA

#65 Jun 2, 2010
Poor cat...regardless of whatever the cat was doing, annoying people and such, you don't need to put an arrow or cross bolt or whatever in it. Cat's live outdoors, people need to accept that. Torturing an animal is not going to solve anything!
Geez Louiz

Mountain View, CA

#66 Jun 2, 2010
Phhht...now even the cats aren't safe.

A male cat that size should have been neutered by a responsible owner, this may have been a stray tomcat.

Not saying at all it's ok to shoot it, the cat is a double victim, first in not being properly neutered, then in being shot by some idiot.

If this animal does turn out to have an owner, then they should be charged with neglect for not neutering it, which is probably how it was allowed to participate in the annoying behavior someone felt it was necessary to shoot it for.

Yet another case of human neglect and cruelty causing animals to suffer.

As for DNA testing...it took years to get proper DNA testing for the Ben Lomond Pregnant Cashier murder case (which, btw, still hasn't reached trial after years of postponements)- someone is suggesting DNA testing will be done for a cat? Yeah, right.
Driftwad

United States

#67 Jun 2, 2010
Seriously ph'ed up. No one should kill an animal unless their going to eat it. Also arrows can be just as easily deflected and as deadly as a bullet.
Westside Resident

Fremont, CA

#68 Jun 2, 2010
That is a rotten thing to do - what a sad end for that poor cat.

Last summer, an arrow exactly like this one came shooting right past me while I was in my back yard, and landed in the grass (it was flying fast, and was stuck in pretty tight.) I guessed it came from somewhere either in or near the Trescony Park or garden. I never found who shot it... but, it was very dangerous, to say the least.
loweroceanlocal

Santa Cruz, CA

#70 Jun 2, 2010
santa cruz wrote:
I h*a*t*e White People Your all trash
what the heck do you hate white people for? they ain't all bad i have quite a few white friends who are quite lovely, and my family too. you really aught to quit it with your racism. we are all equally capable of bad behavior, no matter what the race...heck it could have been a latino, or a black guy that did this, or asian perhaps.
Zurc Atnas

United States

#71 Jun 2, 2010
Out of Your Minds wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, wrong assumption.
I know, and have known, plenty of people who "sort of" keep a cat, but they will deny that the cat is theirs. I mean those who start feeding a cat that's hanging around their home, and then they start letting it in the house and treating it as a pet. They'll even give it a name. But they don't take it to the vet for vaccinations or other health care. They may or may not treat it for fleas. They certainly don't bother to have the cat fixed. They might tell themselves that it really belongs to a neighbor who neglects the thing. Or they'll say it's "the neighborhood cat." If the cat doesn't show up for food one day, it's of no concern...because the cat was never theirs, right?
Sound familiar? It should, because it is very, very common.
And then there are all the renters and temporary residents (students, etc.), who get a kitten, keep it (unfixed, of course) until they decide to move on...and just leave it behind. Those are the "dumpers." But somehow I think that the former are the more evil people. They are much more numerous.

So right. There is a neighborhood nutcase next door with 10 plus cats which "aren't hers" sick woman, diseased cats. Animal services is out here weekly.
Ex Liberal

West Covina, CA

#72 Jun 2, 2010
sheesh wrote:
<quoted text>
So let me get this straight - it's wrong for people to bash Mexicans, but it's okay for you to bash a class of people? Jeezuz, you are SUCH a hypocrite.
Welcome to Liberal-Land!
sick city

Gillette, WY

#73 Jun 2, 2010
Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
The cat was shot with a crossbow, as indicated by the bolt (arrow) in the photo. That might be a yuppie child, but it's more likely a redneck. There can't be too many folks in town who own crossbows.
More likely an illegal that was hungry...they eat rats, cats, birds you name it.
Westside

San Jose, CA

#74 Jun 2, 2010
I feel for the cat and the owners but you cat owners out there should really keep your cats on your property or at least have an outside litter box for them if they are outside cats. Cats constantly crap in my yard or garden and it drives me nutz.

On any given bike ride through the westside I will see at least 10-15 cats just roaming around. I know it is typical but it is also troublesome to some.
slightly salty

Palo Alto, CA

#76 Jun 2, 2010
someone out there must know something about this incident... please call animal services or the anonymous tipline before it happens again.
SC_Local

Santa Cruz, CA

#78 Jun 7, 2010
Big cats are killers, but a little poosey never hurt anybody!
Are You Nuts

Alviso, CA

#79 Jun 7, 2010
Westside wrote:
I feel for the cat and the owners but you cat owners out there should really keep your cats on your property or at least have an outside litter box for them if they are outside cats. Cats constantly crap in my yard or garden and it drives me nutz.
On any given bike ride through the westside I will see at least 10-15 cats just roaming around. I know it is typical but it is also troublesome to some.
Do you really think that a cat would use an "outside litter box" when there is an entire world of neighbors' gardens to defile?

Cats belong indoors-- period.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How many Welfare checks to pay off Capitol One (Jul '15) 10 hr WooF 19
FAT Pat made Mom go SPLAT (Jun '15) 16 hr Lucius 117
Fail again John Sun WooF 21
DBS: Stop stalking and I will employ you (Sep '13) Sun Woof 173
News Scrapped bill stalls broadband project Sun More Info 3
Please update the ColbyLOON website (Sep '15) Apr 29 Woof 43
Why did fat chicks with colostomy bags steal th... Apr 29 More Info 18
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Santa Cruz Mortgages