Cyclist struck, killed on Highway 1

Nov 2, 2013 Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

A 40-year-old Santa Cruz man was killed Saturday morning when he was struck by a car while riding a bike on Highway 1, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Full Story
KBK

Aptos, CA

#1 Nov 3, 2013
If this driver's cell records indicate activity before say calling 911 at the scene, I hope the driver is prosecuted to the fullest. Accidents can happen, though I feel if a driver has a phone device in hand (talking, reading and/or texting), the driver has voluntarily and purposefully removed accident from the equation and is driving with intent to harm rather than intent to be safe at the wheel. Until texting and driving (or having a device in hand) while at the wheel is a social stigma carrying *severe criminal penalties and fines*, like drunk driving penalties in existence, we're not going to see change. Let's be the change.
ZCN

Union City, CA

#2 Nov 3, 2013
I also think it should also be illegal to smoke and drive. It should be illegal to do anything that distracts you while driving. Cigarettes are an unregulated drug that buzzes the user and distracts them both mentally and physically.

Once was next to a driver: in the biggest ass SUV who was smoking, talking on the cell and drinking from a straw in a drink. I wonder what arm or hand they bothered to drive with? Also was having a heated discussion with the person on the other end of the phone.

I got the hell away from this ticking time bomb!
Nerd

Santa Cruz, CA

#3 Nov 3, 2013
ZCN wrote:
I also think it should also be illegal to smoke and drive. It should be illegal to do anything that distracts you while driving. Cigarettes are an unregulated drug that buzzes the user and distracts them both mentally and physically.
Once was next to a driver: in the biggest ass SUV who was smoking, talking on the cell and drinking from a straw in a drink. I wonder what arm or hand they bothered to drive with? Also was having a heated discussion with the person on the other end of the phone.
I got the hell away from this ticking time bomb!
Maybe KSBW can interview you for this newsworthy story.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jim Spring is stalking Pastor Weller 1 hr ANON 182
On the 45th day of X-mas (DBS version) 1 hr John Colby 3
Jim Spring, Failed PhD (Apr '14) 1 hr John Colby 40
Teens left Westside park when gang members show... (Apr '10) 20 hr Donny B 427
Aryan Nations recruiting again in northern Idaho (Apr '09) 21 hr homeless person 338
Rip Curl signs lease for Rittenhouse Building i... Thu Donny B 3
Is the person who wrote this nuts? Dec 17 John Colby 11
Santa Cruz Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Santa Cruz People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Santa Cruz News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Santa Cruz

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News