Watsonville police nab 37 suspected taggers

Police tapped new technology and a cadre of trained volunteers to crack down on taggers allegedly responsible for more than $50,000 in property damage. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
4PeaceNow

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Apr 8, 2009
wow! it's a good thing they don't watch TV... otherwise they'd know of the new technology in combatting their fun.
LauGhing Cl0Wn

Salinas, CA

#2 Apr 8, 2009
i say we take em taggers out there spray paint there faces and then make em scrub the tagging in town with their own tooth brushes... FREAKING MORONS !!!!!!!!!
RazMaTaz

Pleasanton, CA

#4 Apr 8, 2009
Bravo to the cops. These punks just painted themselves into a corner.
David

Vallejo, CA

#5 Apr 8, 2009
I can only hope that part of the sentencing is that these misguided fools have to spend some of their valuable time cleaning public places. Make them do it in front of little kids wearing pink coveralls. This would let them know that this type of behavior is not OK. They are not MACHO at all. Have the little kids laugh at them while they are scrubbing the walls.
Only in some way such as this will these guys ever stop.
drivers licenses

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Apr 8, 2009
and, the judge "shall" suspend the drivers licenses of any minor or adult convicted of vandalism by grafitti, or delay the issuance of a license for one year if they don't have one.

failure to do so, according to the code, is judicial negligence and subject to removal from office.

no joke
SCman

Daly City, CA

#7 Apr 8, 2009
how come its $300 and $1300 for the same thing,the man pays for this or do we?

Since: May 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#8 Apr 8, 2009
Good going, Watsonville PD.

$150,000 to clean up graffiti every year - wow, that's a lot, although it's money well spent. But imagine what else it could be spent on if there was no graffiti to clean up.
We Will See

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Apr 8, 2009
It would be interesting to follow these cases and see just what the criminals actually receive as a sentence. Bob Lee can promise just about anything but he does not make the sentencing decisions. Our local judges do, and they need to step up to the plate and hand out sentences that will act as a deterrent and serve to punish.
Different

Santa Cruz, CA

#10 Apr 8, 2009
SCman wrote:
how come its $300 and $1300 for the same thing,the man pays for this or do we?
I've heard about these things before. The cost diference I think is because they are two different devices or at least with diferent capabilities. The law enforcement version has thngs that would help in prosecution of a case.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#11 Apr 8, 2009
drivers licenses wrote:
and, the judge "shall" suspend the drivers licenses of any minor or adult convicted of vandalism by grafitti, or delay the issuance of a license for one year if they don't have one.
failure to do so, according to the code, is judicial negligence and subject to removal from office.
no joke
This Clown couldn't agree more about the DL being suspended of not issued if your convicted of graffiti or vandalism I say they should be required to perform community service and have the fine in the range of a DUI. I call it the "Trashing of America" Johnny at the Harbor, discusted.
Eug

Watsonville, CA

#12 Apr 8, 2009
David wrote:
I can only hope that part of the sentencing is that these misguided fools have to spend some of their valuable time cleaning public places. Make them do it in front of little kids wearing pink coveralls. This would let them know that this type of behavior is not OK. They are not MACHO at all. Have the little kids laugh at them while they are scrubbing the walls.
Only in some way such as this will these guys ever stop.
David, great idea about pink overalls. My friend visited Rwanda last year and said the jails have a colored coded system for prisoners. The worst offenders or the ones who won't repent wear pink jail clothes.
SCNative

United States

#13 Apr 8, 2009
Johnnybitchin wrote:
<quoted text>This Clown couldn't agree more about the DL being suspended of not issued if your convicted of graffiti or vandalism I say they should be required to perform community service and have the fine in the range of a DUI. I call it the "Trashing of America" Johnny at the Harbor, discusted.
I agree 100%!
ronnie1944

Berkeley, CA

#14 Apr 8, 2009
I am so happy to hear there are new tools to help the police and community to fight tagging. I worked as a teacher for 35 years in LaPuente and tagging cost that community so much in money and community pride. I wish the laws were tougher because of what tagging does to bring down communities. Great work Watsonville Police!!
Kittle Troller

Santa Cruz, CA

#17 Apr 8, 2009
give us their tags and we will give you another 500 counts against them!!
wondering

Menlo Park, CA

#19 Apr 8, 2009
Great Work! I would love to see the punishment be scrubbing paint off with a toothbrush. Make them get out there and clean the highways with a big sign on them "I am a tagger" so we can drive by and honk. I hate that they think they can deface public and private property with a slap on the hand!
Not Quite

Santa Rosa, CA

#20 Apr 8, 2009
We Will See wrote:
It would be interesting to follow these cases and see just what the criminals actually receive as a sentence. Bob Lee can promise just about anything but he does not make the sentencing decisions. Our local judges do, and they need to step up to the plate and hand out sentences that will act as a deterrent and serve to punish.
Do you think Mr. Lee has no input to the judge on what they will hand down. Good job Mr. Lee and all involved. Maybe now a lot of this will stop. The ones responsible should not only have to try and clean the mess, but if cleaning leaves a permanent defacing such as brick, block walls etc. they should have to pay to have them replaced. Their wages would be tapped for life and this would send a message loud and clear.
realitybites

United States

#22 Apr 8, 2009
YaY! There's alot of trash out there.
Ken Johnson

Santa Cruz, CA

#24 Apr 8, 2009
Now it's time to catch the ones tagging the entire Emeline area and Highway 1 sound walls. I agree, the fines should be stiff. They feel they can just go paint some stupid message on any piece of public property with permanent paint...it is so disrespectful, they need to be arrested!
John

United States

#25 Apr 8, 2009
If the operation is dubbed Operation TAG, or Target All Taggers, shouldn't it be Target all Gaggers. I mean it can't be Operation TAG if the last word starts with a "T". Or should it be called Operation TAT? Or would that mean target all tatoos?
Moebius

Lawrenceville, GA

#26 Apr 8, 2009
Target All Goober nuggets.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aryan Nations recruiting again in northern Idaho (Apr '09) 1 hr Commander Bunny 327
Is the person who wrote this nuts? 3 hr John Colby 11
Archive for Jim Spring posts (Dec '13) 3 hr John Colby 877
cfabsc (Jan '14) 3 hr John Colby 585
Cyberbullying to sexting: Santa Cruz class an '... 5 hr DBS 29
DBS and the Chanukah House (Dec '13) 5 hr DBS 20
Petaluma man arrested as suspect in Santa Cruz ... 9 hr homeless person 10
Santa Cruz Dating
Find my Match

Santa Cruz People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Santa Cruz News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Santa Cruz